Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Dark Age of Camelot: Wayback Wednesday - Rolling Albion

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest Wayback Wednesday, we once again check in with Dark Age of Camelot and turn our eyes to Albion. Find out what went down during Wayback Wednesday and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

For this episode I decided to play a Reaver. I enjoyed playing a melee character again, and the debuff auras that this class has provides an interesting twist to the standard hack and slash. I also trained my character to use a whip. This is the first time I have wielded a whip as any class in an MMO and I felt like Indiana Jones running around in Thidranki, DAoC's level 20-24 battleground. I was joined on this foray by Talal Saad, a producer for Mythic and the project lead on DAoC.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Dark Age of Camelot: Wayback Wednesday - Rolling Albion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• EtaewEtaew Member UncommonPosts: 7
    My favorite memory in DAoC is the feeling early on in the game when your relics were under attack, and the entire server dropped what they were doing and rushed to the relic keep in order to defend it from the enemy. That feeling has lessened somewhat since then.
  • IrisarmyIrisarmy Member Posts: 1
    My favorite memory in DAoC has to be the very first time I logged in,an went to my first battleground Thidranki absolutely Amazing,Terrifying an so Exciting all at the same time!! I had never played an mmo at the time didn't even know what they were an I was 100% addicted after the first time. Just love DAoC can't an don't won't to play any other an I've tried. Thanks guys!
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Veterans don't want to pay $14.95/month (the same price as a for a newly released AAA MMO) for a game that will have no expansions, no graphics upgrades, and only a handful of barebones patches a year. Give us an option to re-enlist at a lower price (perhaps $9.95/month) for, say, the first 3 months and many of us would come back for a while.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• OmaszzOmaszz Member Posts: 3
    My best memory in DAoC is the leveling of my first character, the discovery of areas etc.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    A DOAC 2 could launch with absolutely no information given, and I'd be there.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Veterans don't want to pay $14.95/month (the same price as a for a newly released AAA MMO) for a game that will have no expansions, no graphics upgrades, and only a handful of barebones patches a year. Give us an option to re-enlist at a lower price (perhaps $9.95/month) for, say, the first 3 months and many of us would come back for a while.

^ This exactly. I'd be quick to rejoin the wife and I if it were $5 a month, or maybe even $9 a month. Such a great game and as someone pointed out the relic attacks were pretty cool to see the realm muster. Granted, later in the server life, you KNEW who was attacking (because the cool, high level people had IRC windows running too ;)) so responding to the attack coudl be tempered with "Oh I know that guild leading the raid; no way we're defending against that..." lol

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"The reason I like to play DAoC is primarily due to the way groups are composed in RvR. With so many new games creating characters that are jacks of all trade it is nice to play a game where characters can have very specific roles."

For that you need grouping, whens the last time a MMO was designed expecting you to group, Lotro?

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Sure would be nice if you could play DAOC without having to deal with all the bad expansions like Trials of Atlantis. Sure would be nice if you could play for free. Sure would be nice to old frontiers instead of teribad new frontiers. Sure would be nice where people who cheat/hack/exploit are banned and their names posted in the forums. Oh wait, that DAOC service exists but we can't talk about it.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I really enjoyed DAoC, I played an Armsman for the first 2 years I played even though they weren't the best class around at the time. Albion was my first realm, starting from beta, and even though I ended up playing all 3, Albion will have a special place in my heart.

I liked the idea of what someone else said, no one wants to pay $14.95 for a dinosaur mmo. If they dropped the price (I still think $9.95 is too high, personally) to say, $4.95 a month, I would play for a long time again. I tried the come back to camelot for 14 days last year, and I had a blast, there was even a relic raid or two during the few nights I played. I enjoyed it. But I can't justify paying $14.95 for it when I can get a game thats brand new for the same price a month.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• kturockkturock Member Posts: 16

I loved the game when it came out. I played from beta thru the 1st year or so. I left when they never updated, changed the graphics, that they said they would change. My biggest complaint was they changed the balance of the game.

Before and during release they said:

Hibs would be magic based. Everything they did would be based around it and all characters had it. Hibs would be THE magic race. Best casters with strongest spells.

Albs would be balanced, not excelling at anything, but not sucking at others. OK magic, ok armor, ok combat.

Norse would suck at magic, with only 1 real caster and a couple minor buff/support casters; but would be the combat leaders.

After release and alot of whining from players, that this wasn't  'right' and they changed the game. Albs became dominent in everything. The had the best tanks, dps and casters. They were controlling all the realms on all the servers and had the most played race. Everyone who played either Hib or Norse, either left or switched. Me and my entire guild left.

RvR was great. 1st time I played RvR, I had the adrenline surge I used have in RL combat; either in the martial arts or Society for Creative Anachronism. There were bugs, where you could be shot through a wall and exploits that never were fixed.

Once they screwed with the balance, it went downhill. This balance issue is what caused Warhammer Online to have all of their classes balanced to the point of boredom; and thus no one plays it.

Daoc is where it deserves to be; in the past.

• thepatriotthepatriot Member UncommonPosts: 284
    My favorite moment for DAOC is one of my favorite moments in any mmo.  I was playing a necromancer a few months after the were added and was in a low level battleground.  I was in a large group but we were spread out and we ran into an enemy force on a hill.  They were also spread out but not as much as we were.  Another necro and I were the first to encounter them and began fighting them off as they charged.  Small groups of our own force would join in the fray and be cut down as more forces joined from each side.  At the end of the battle only the other necro and I were left standing at the top of the hill.
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I played DAoC for 5 years, starting at about 4 days after launch.  I primarily played casters and so stealthers became the bane of my existence.  I got so sick of being killed by them that I created and twinked a nightshade specifically to hunt and kill other stealthers.  He was my anti-stealther character.  Anyway, I had been running around Thidranki killing every stealther I could find when I stopped behind a tree to rest and was jumped while only at half life by another stealther who was higher level than me.  I somehow managed to kill him rather handily even though I was half dead and he was higher level.  I was so stoked at how well my plan was working out that I jumped out of my chair like, HELL YEAH!!!!  That is one of my favorite memories, though I have many.

As an aside, I have to agree with the people that say that we don't want to pay $15 per month for a game that is a dinosaur in MMO terms.  Many new games seem to be going F2P shortly after launch and yet DAoC is somehow still charging the full subscription price after all this time.  It needs to either go F2P or have the subscription dropped to like $5 to get any people back. 

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    My favorite? oh which one? Probably my guilds huge 8man fights with other very top end players. Smakish, Talini, Sinphul, or hitting mid zerg, Knnuckles, Xyroman and Cats with a little over 20 people. But my favorite memory?

Easter quest, Beno t4. 2 grps of us hibs, set up for a tower camp. 4 druids, 2 bards, 8 PBAoE's and 2 mentalists for Warlord abilities and ST's. We took it fast and waited. 10 minutes, 15 minutes, then finally, Alb zerg came, and oh damn, did they bring some friends. Mindoftheheals and myself were more-or-less trying to lead this little shindig, so we set-up. keeping our storms inside, out of sight, and the PBAoE'ers hiding next to the lord.

We held out for a good 45 minutes from over 100 albs. Rescue at the lead. TONS of low RR toons trying to complete the bunny quest for their "Bracelet of Springtime Folly", and here we were, just messing all that up :)

I'm still subbed, still running awesome fights, and still making new friends, and enemies.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• MinjieMinjie Member Posts: 11

My favorite memory would have to be  leveling outside of prydwen keep near the graveyard, and getting surprise of  mulgrot the maggot and his undead crew attacking me while i was busy smashing skeletons and zombies.  sooo many deaths.

inb4 learn to pan noob

• mashingbuttonsmashingbuttons Member Posts: 1
    The first thing I think is my first toon I played. I was leveling him on alb, near cotswold, killing some mobs and go to the prydwen castle for some reasons... then THE MUSIC. That prydwen music. I will never forget it lol. This is my favorite moment : the exploration of a new world.

• RumnRumn Member Posts: 3
    Rolling up on Caer Berkstead Tower in a duo warlock group - we stomped ALBS and HIBS with no issue and took the tower!
  • HumfleetHumfleet Member Posts: 1
    Grinding xp in Camelot hills, trying to fill up a good group and it taking 6 good months just to level up a character. Seeing a Giant the first time and thinking i was awesome for killing a level 10 mob!!!!
  • grummongrummon Member Posts: 4

One of my favorite moments in DAOC was in old frontiers on Bedevere/Hibs, we took a relic and decided to put our zerg to one last test by charging the Alb Emain portal keep.  We took many Albs by surpise when we managed to get inside the PK and kill most of them!  Here is a link to the video one of my guildmates captured: 

I played DAOC for many years and it was one of the best times I had playing a video game, mostly because I loved my guild (OSW), but also because the game is so damn good.