Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what Happened to Pokket?

13»

Comments

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Wighty
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

I always thought she was fluff

Me too.

Often times doesn't really actually reviewed any games I feel, just make some comments about some superficial stuff and act cute.

The sad part is she rants and raves about other girls doing the same exact shit she does/did. Hilarity.

We need more fluff on here now :(

Just another "professional hot chic" who makes a bit of a name for herself then sells it somewhere else.

Her gaming reviews and commentary were the equivalent of doing a book report by reading the jacket of the book.

Every game she played she ran with "pro" groups touting how she is so good at PvP meanwhile she was stacked with buffers and pocket (pun semi intended) healers.

To be fair there are a lot of good female game reviewers out there. I remember there was a couple on PC Powerplay magazine that really knows their stuff (can't remember who it was that reviewed Civ 5 and another called sn0rn or something).  I think one of them was actually a game developer as well.

It is just that Pokket wasn't one of them.

But I guess that's the difference. The really good ones really get a job at a printed publications, not just at a website, lol :P 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Her gaming reviews and commentary were the equivalent of doing a book report by reading the jacket of the book.

I completely agree.

Oh, I don't wish her ill and wish her good luck with her career as she seemed like a decent enough person but the few times I listened to her reporting I kept thinking she combed some forums and then repeated what was the popular consensus.

Her style really wasn't to my taste but she has found her niche and I hope she does well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    I jsut felt the whole Pockket thing was contrived.  She had a shrill voice and the green hair really was over the top.  I might jsut be sexist but Im not huge on girl gamers haha.

Yeah sounds basically sexist.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I never really liked the girl as a mmorpg commentor...seemed to alway be in about skin deep of a game, with conclusions i can come to within 5 min of playing...more interested in the deeper aspects that would tell me if this is a game ill be playing past a month.  She was nice to look at though.

Ripper was more fun as someone you killed in darkfall and less fun as someone calling me an anorexic dolphin while overdoing the "this game awesome" reviews...no offense to him but it just seems like someone said "hey ripper we need you to really make this game look good because they bought ad space this month" however it can be funny sometimes...and yes ive watched more than a few first impressions way longer than i was actually interested in the game, so hes not doing a bad job on that level.

In all honesty i basically dislike most reviews of mmorpgs, and ill usually watch several to see if any trends form.  To hard to tell whos paid to make the review and whos making the review to get paid....over the reviews from someone who played the game a lot and is just giving a review.

Really i dont even use this site in any way for reviews, and about 5 years ago the site became unusable even for player reviews, and has become worse.  This site is however, very good as finding a game to google to find more info about, and to determine if this is a game the herd will follow (those always end up sucking after a month).  In fact i typically find games i like here based on how much fanatical hate its generating.  However witht he site becomming clusterd and clogged with every type of game imaginable, its getting hard to find games in the mess of the game list.

There are however a couple of fantastic websites out there for breaking news, rumors, leaks, and insider info on games...which i will cherish and forever hide from this community due to awesome conversations about games that take place there...

But yeah my guess is pokket went to go make money.  Camera friendly attractive female nerd can make some serious money i would guess.  She just needs to team up with 15-20 basement dwellers to play the games in depth and give her a great write up that goes beyond the obvious.

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

I always thought she was fluff

Me too.

Often times doesn't really actually reviewed any games I feel, just make some comments about some superficial stuff and act cute.

The sad part is she rants and raves about other girls doing the same exact shit she does/did. Hilarity.

We need more fluff on here now :(

Just another "professional hot chic" who makes a bit of a name for herself then sells it somewhere else.

Every game she played she ran with "pro" groups touting how she is so good at PvP meanwhile she was stacked with buffers and pocket (pun semi intended) healers.

To be fair there are a lot of good female game reviewers out there. I remember there was a couple on PC Powerplay magazine that really knows their stuff (can't remember who it was that reviewed Civ 5 and another called sn0rn or something).  I think one of them was actually a game developer as well.

It is just that Pokket wasn't one of them.

But I guess that's the difference. The really good ones really get a job at a printed publications, not just at a website, lol :P 

Gotta say I agree. I miss Isabelle Parsley here who wrote some genuinely intriguing stuff.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I think she was mainly brough in to bring hype to swtor, and when that went bust they let her kind of free lance other stuff.  The only real problem was she seamed to do a lot of reading other info from other post that was already covered by other folks.  I think we call it  plagiarism, something I know they cover in creative writing classes.

The sad thing was she rabmled, and most of the info that she gave was just so so.  I always felt like she was reading from a script, and I never made it through any of her video's ever. It was that hard to watch. 

I noticed she was missing right after her article about march of violent vidoe games.  That was about the same time her facebook exploded with all the game/gun info and rants about the big brother.  I guess at that point she became too much of a liability. 

I noticed shes done some vlogs of her daily life, but like everything else she did I never made it to the end of her video's. Mainly due to the rambling and her going off on a million different tangents each time. 

I hope she finds real work, as what she is doing on youtube is not going to make her cash and if it is I want to know how.  I know I will not buy any video games from her resaler store, who would do that when you could go right down the road t your local gamestop and get them cheeper, or go to steam.  

It would be nice to know the entire story, but usually when folks part ways there is always those confidential agreements that keep the files shut. 

• cyclonite51cyclonite51 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Her writings and audio clips are pretty good but she is terrible in front of a camera. There is a lot of unnecessary facial expressions and eye movement that makes it hard to follow her and take what she says seriously.
  • Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Pokkets awesome and still gaming away.

https://www.facebook.com/Pokketsays?fref=ts

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Not a fan of her in MMORPG.com or Gamebreaker.tv

She is incredibly bias and in cases she doesn't even research the game before she voices her opinion and many cases "mis-information" on the game.

I don't mind people's opinion  but please at least get the facts striaght and research a bit first, spilling non-sense and false information to criticized or praised a game is unprofessional imo.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Lol, I'll bet she has an alt account and is reading this whole thread. Perhaps even posting on it? I wonder if they banned her lol. :P
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I was highly entertained by her. She has a youthful enthusiasm for a broad range of games.

I believe she now has a YouTube blog. She might still be looking for work that appeals to her.

She has described her situation as a quarter-life crisis.

I can adentify with this since I had a quarter-life crisis that worked out extremely well. I'm now having a mid-life crisis which I hope will turn out alright, but I have my doubts.