Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars 2 worth buying at the moment?

Comments

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

sorry to interrupt, but seems it on Beta again.

or it just my luck and I'm getting in in worst moments, but lately really nothing works for me: or I find bugs, broken events, non-active dungeon or quest NPC, or I lag, or dc, or I can't even get in (like today).

so IMO better to wait until they finish test part and game can, at least, run well.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Definitely worth it. There probably is no other mmo currently released which gives you so much for the money. The question remains whether you will like what it offers or not.
  • ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I am not going to bother going through everyone's oppinions. I will just add mine. As of late there have been A LOT of new players coming to the game etc. what the problem is there isnt much but WvW to do after 80 which is why you see more and more people coming to the game while they reach the end youll see them walk out the backdoor and the content at the front to greet another customer. To me it IS worth it because of updates and future content etc. can be added and improved upon you get your moneys worth and if it cashes in on some future content you are there with it. give it a shot!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by TheYear1500
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    hell no! try Tera its better and free

I like TERA but it is not GW2. Once you do one character - why even do any alts in TERA? They all go through the same areas/quests and have to grind the same mobs. Also, the community in the game is severly childish and idiotic. That is the biggest turn off for TERA right now.

actually i can't do an alt in GW2... it was boring even while i was lvling my main... i reached lvl 80 in a month and uninstalled ;)

I'm not sure if I admire or laugh at people that play something for like 100 hours while being bored.

Generally a boring game doesn't last 5 minutes in my hard drive.

Most poeple expect that for leveling in an mmo, and expect it to change when they get to max level.  So him playing that way it in no way odd.   It is what MMO's have done to us over the years.  Its always "its gets better after # level, you just didn't get to that level to have fun".  

But it does change, depending on where you start from. In Asuran, Sylvari and Norn you are helping out. In Human and Charr starting areas it is more or less littl battlefields around. Then you get up to Orr which is one big battlefield. They are totally different in feel and they do change.

It seems people keep playing expecting things to morph into something more they want out of a game. If you don't like it in the first hour, you probably won't like the longer you play.

This says a lot right here. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by lionhoppers
    I'm thinking about getting Gw2 but I'm not sure if I should after reading about hackers and problems with bots? Have the issues with hackers and bots been fixed yet or are there still problems? What is the population like? are the servers and low level areas still busy? I'd just like to get some info before buying the game :)

Hackers: people will try to hack your account. 99.9% of accounts hacked are because people are sloppy and use the same E-mail and password combination all over the place. Use a unique E-mail and a unique strong password, keep your passord to yourself, use decent software to protect your computer, and the odds of getting hacked are next to none.

Bots: I haven't seen a bot in a long time. They had a big cleaning operation a couple of months ago, and they got a whole lot of them, probablr not 99.9% percent, but a lot. Thousands of accounts got banned for botting, they have software in place to automatically detect bots and it works.

Population is less than at launch, no surprise there, but it's nowhere near the wasteland some claim it is.

imageimage
  • VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64

Bugs aside GW2 is the best MMO i have played in years.

It is fairly balanced and appeals to several categories: PvE (in small part), sPvP (instanced PvP skirmish), Zerg vs Zerg (WvWvW) and small scale gorup combat (WvWvW, but you have to organize a small squad to really enjoy it like this).

I WvW if you are lucky and have some guildmates or server friends to run 10 ppl squad and capture objectives and battle other small to medium sized group the game is very fun and the battles are very nice.

The only thing at the moment keeping me for 100% enjoyment is their bug with models for players and NPCs dissapearing randomly (and their lack of ideas how to fix it) and low reward for support players like myself (being in the back buffing and healing, basically playin 90% support, has little reward in terms of medals).

My advice is to try it out on a friend's account or if you have the money to spare, buy it; it is free to play once you buy it and it will keep you busy a long time :)

V.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by TheYear1500
    hell no! try Tera its better and free

I like TERA but it is not GW2. Once you do one character - why even do any alts in TERA? They all go through the same areas/quests and have to grind the same mobs. Also, the community in the game is severly childish and idiotic. That is the biggest turn off for TERA right now.

actually i can't do an alt in GW2... it was boring even while i was lvling my main... i reached lvl 80 in a month and uninstalled ;)

I'm not sure if I admire or laugh at people that play something for like 100 hours while being bored.

Generally a boring game doesn't last 5 minutes in my hard drive.

Most poeple expect that for leveling in an mmo, and expect it to change when they get to max level.  So him playing that way it in no way odd.   It is what MMO's have done to us over the years.  Its always "its gets better after # level, you just didn't get to that level to have fun".  

But it does change, depending on where you start from. In Asuran, Sylvari and Norn you are helping out. In Human and Charr starting areas it is more or less littl battlefields around. Then you get up to Orr which is one big battlefield. They are totally different in feel and they do change.

It seems people keep playing expecting things to morph into something more they want out of a game. If you don't like it in the first hour, you probably won't like the longer you play.

This says a lot right here. 

If you like it in the first hour though, you will like it the longer you play and understand the game since it is just building on top of the basic systems present from the beggining.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I'm thinking about getting Gw2 but I'm not sure if I should after reading about hackers and problems with bots? Have the issues with hackers and bots been fixed yet or are there still problems? What is the population like? are the servers and low level areas still busy? I'd just like to get some info before buying the game :)

If you are looking to avoid games with bots/hackers, you might not find many games to play.  You will have to take a risk or avoid the game.  Why not take the risk?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Hackers: people will try to hack your account. 99.9% of accounts hacked are because people are sloppy and use the same E-mail and password combination all over the place. Use a unique E-mail and a unique strong password, keep your passord to yourself, use decent software to protect your computer, and the odds of getting hacked are next to none.

Bots: I haven't seen a bot in a long time. They had a big cleaning operation a couple of months ago, and they got a whole lot of them, probablr not 99.9% percent, but a lot. Thousands of accounts got banned for botting, they have software in place to automatically detect bots and it works.

Population is less than at launch, no surprise there, but it's nowhere near the wasteland some claim it is.

True that.

I'm on one of the European servers with the  highest population (Gandara), and I don't remember the last time I saw a bot. 3 months ago, places like the newbie areas, Orr and Frostgorge were full of bots following each other and killing everything in sight, I have seen none recently even in the old bot hotspots.

I think i came across 1 recently and thats it....but this is the very first time i've heard of trouble with hackers I have never witnessed such events or my friends O.o

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Shrilly
    I am not going to bother going through everyone's oppinions. I will just add mine. As of late there have been A LOT of new players coming to the game etc. what the problem is there isnt much but WvW to do after 80 which is why you see more and more people coming to the game while they reach the end youll see them walk out the backdoor and the content at the front to greet another customer. To me it IS worth it because of updates and future content etc. can be added and improved upon you get your moneys worth and if it cashes in on some future content you are there with it. give it a shot!

I have to agree that there has been an influx of newer players. I am constantly seeing "noob" questions being asked in map chat in queensdale. It's really neat to see that the responses are actually useful and not trolls.

It's going to be really interesting to see how much Flame and Frost ramps up in terms of living story. If it turns out to be unique and interesting content, they will extend the overall life of the game. Asheron's Call 1 has run on monthly content updates for over a decade now, and some of my most memorable moments in mmos came from unexpected twists in the plot lines Turbine came up with. I hope ANet can capture some of that magic with their living story system. That alone could be worth the price of admission.

Originally posted by Kaneth
    Originally posted by Shrilly

I have to agree that there has been an influx of newer players. I am constantly seeing "noob" questions being asked in map chat in queensdale. It's really neat to see that the responses are actually useful and not trolls.

It's going to be really interesting to see how much Flame and Frost ramps up in terms of living story. If it turns out to be unique and interesting content, they will extend the overall life of the game. Asheron's Call 1 has run on monthly content updates for over a decade now, and some of my most memorable moments in mmos came from unexpected twists in the plot lines Turbine came up with. I hope ANet can capture some of that magic with their living story system. That alone could be worth the price of admission.

Cheers to that my good man. They are sitting on top of some good concepts and ideas we just have to wait and see what they turn up to be. For now I'll run my little growing guild and wait and see.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

There's a ton of problems right now. Don't let the stockholm syndrome sufferers convince you otherwise. Most of these issues are end game however there isn't an eta on when they will fix most of them. The biggest problem is with their economy right now, it's only a problem if you enjoy spending tons of money on gems to convert them to gold. There's massive imbalance in pve and pvp. Two classes and only two can easily 1 shot people in pvp (warrior/thief). Two classes are almost impossible to play because they are so horribly designed and have such huge bugs that you almost never see people playing one. (necro/engi) The imbalance is so bad for the warrior that one can take the warrior into the hardest dungeon in the game and solo the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKy67S6uvNU

There's been an ongoing issue with DR (diminishing returns regarding loot) that causes people to not receive a darned thing worth your time after the first thirty minutes of farming mats. It's gotten so bad in cases that it causes chests to disappear at the end of boss fights so people don't get a thing (these are people who've done nothing but dragon events and dungeon runs when they login). DR has been highly controversial because of the way it harms players. It allows bots to avoid it simply by it's failed design. See they designed it to require you to teleport to a new area to take off DR. What this does is allow the botters who can freely teleport anywhere using a hack software to continue farming while players who can't teleport ad infinitum like this to be stuck with the DR. There's also a concern that people have picked up a permaDR account wide that causes them to instantly begin receive the junk drops in open world the moment they hit their 3rd enemy and kill it. Needless to say people cannot aquire currency to even travel much less gear their characters. The only loot issue they've admitted to is the bug that causes people to not get credit for their kills even when they are the only one killing the enemy. That fix is due to be posted on the 26th.

The population of the game has been a big topic too on the forums. It does seem to be an empty game for the most part. I'm on an RP server and even tho the server info says Full all the time most of the zones I go into are ghosttowns not seeing another player for hours on end. Orr is like this as well for me.

Content wise they have not delivered what we were promised for 7 years prior to the games launch. We heard over and over how they wanted to make Dynamic Event Meta's (the larger chains of dynamic events with rewards like one might find in most dungeons at the end) Well we've still not heard from the devs on that. It's been that way since launch. They promise btw that this game would not be dungeon focused that DE's were so superior in their design because it took less time to add them and cost less but provided the kind of entertainment they said would be the focus of the gameplay. Well when it came time to add these they didn't They added a single boring dungeon that everyone suddenly focused on solely to get the new gear.

New gear they also promised would not be in the game, ascended. We were told that Exotic would be the highest tier. Then Nov 15th came along with this new tier of gear with higher stats. Instead of using the crafting disciplines they already had in the game to make this gear they made it only available through 30 dailies (25 maybe with 1 monthly) achievement or you can fashion some minor enhancements through something called the mystic toilet (that's what I call it because it has a history of eating your mats and giving you nothing back).

So incidently people are not happy and many guilds are empty because there was an exodus after the fiasco in November.

If you are going to be leveling multiple alts and spending a large amount of time getting them ready for the end game I'd say go for it but expect to be disappointed once you reach level 80 and suddenly you're stuck like so many others have been for months now.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Hacks and bots have been mostly eliminated and the population on my server, Sanctum of Rall and my Guest Server,  Sorrow's Furnace are really high still.  I'd recommend it based on the fact it isn't a WoW clone and is a solid themepark experience with much less linearity compared to your average themepark.  If you like Exploration then I highly recommend it.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by itgrowls

There's a ton of problems right now. Don't let the stockholm syndrome sufferers convince you otherwise. Most of these issues are end game however there isn't an eta on when they will fix most of them. The biggest problem is with their economy right now, it's only a problem if you enjoy spending tons of money on gems to convert them to gold. There's massive imbalance in pve and pvp. Two classes and only two can easily 1 shot people in pvp (warrior/thief). Two classes are almost impossible to play because they are so horribly designed and have such huge bugs that you almost never see people playing one. (necro/engi) The imbalance is so bad for the warrior that one can take the warrior into the hardest dungeon in the game and solo the entire thing.

There's been an ongoing issue with DR (diminishing returns regarding loot) that causes people to not receive a darned thing worth your time after the first thirty minutes of farming mats. It's gotten so bad in cases that it causes chests to disappear at the end of boss fights so people don't get a thing (these are people who've done nothing but dragon events and dungeon runs when they login). DR has been highly controversial because of the way it harms players. It allows bots to avoid it simply by it's failed design. See they designed it to require you to teleport to a new area to take off DR. What this does is allow the botters who can freely teleport anywhere using a hack software to continue farming while players who can't teleport ad infinitum like this to be stuck with the DR. There's also a concern that people have picked up a permaDR account wide that causes them to instantly begin receive the junk drops in open world the moment they hit their 3rd enemy and kill it. Needless to say people cannot aquire currency to even travel much less gear their characters. The only loot issue they've admitted to is the bug that causes people to not get credit for their kills even when they are the only one killing the enemy. That fix is due to be posted on the 26th.

The population of the game has been a big topic too on the forums. It does seem to be an empty game for the most part. I'm on an RP server and even tho the server info says Full all the time most of the zones I go into are ghosttowns not seeing another player for hours on end. Orr is like this as well for me.

Content wise they have not delivered what we were promised for 7 years prior to the games launch. We heard over and over how they wanted to make Dynamic Event Meta's (the larger chains of dynamic events with rewards like one might find in most dungeons at the end) Well we've still not heard from the devs on that. It's been that way since launch. They promise btw that this game would not be dungeon focused that DE's were so superior in their design because it took less time to add them and cost less but provided the kind of entertainment they said would be the focus of the gameplay. Well when it came time to add these they didn't They added a single boring dungeon that everyone suddenly focused on solely to get the new gear.

New gear they also promised would not be in the game, ascended. We were told that Exotic would be the highest tier. Then Nov 15th came along with this new tier of gear with higher stats. Instead of using the crafting disciplines they already had in the game to make this gear they made it only available through 30 dailies (25 maybe with 1 monthly) achievement or you can fashion some minor enhancements through something called the mystic toilet (that's what I call it because it has a history of eating your mats and giving you nothing back).

So incidently people are not happy and many guilds are empty because there was an exodus after the fiasco in November.

If you are going to be leveling multiple alts and spending a large amount of time getting them ready for the end game I'd say go for it but expect to be disappointed once you reach level 80 and suddenly you're stuck like so many others have been for months now.

Im an amazing player by own count and I cant solo any arah boss.  Only like the top .01% can pull that off.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Are you still playing?

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

There's a ton of problems right now. (snip)

There is inflation in the game. Stuff costs more now than it did at launch. People have been playing, so they earn gold, which means they have more to spend, so prices go up. And, no, I didn't buy a precursor for 10g at launch. I had ok money on my first char just by levelling. Not enough to buy the store, but enough to travel and repair. I didn't even use the TP back then or run dungeons, where you get mad cash. That said, you can make easy money on the trading post, aka auction house. Buy low, sell high, I kid you not. Items are listed by people who offer them for sale, and people who offer to buy them. Usually, there is a difference between those prices that you can use to make money. I didn't believe it either at first, but it works. Lots of people seem to have full bags and are happy to sell stuff for cheap right then and there and forgo an extra 10s profit.

Buying gems for cash from ANet is entirely and absolutely optional, plus you can buy gems through in-game gold, too, if there is something you absolutely need.

I don't farm mats on purpose, so I can't say much about that. Any mats I need I buy on the TP. Works for me.

You can spec some classes to do a ton of damage to certain other class specs. If a glass cannon hits another glass cannon, yea, chances are that's gonna be over in 0.2 seconds. Live by the sword and so on. If a GC hits a P/V/T warrior, or even my thief, it's not a one-shot. Not even close. At all. It's your choice what build to run. If you run GCs to kill people fast expect to die a lot, too. My guild runs a couple necros and engis and they rock the place. Are there some bugs in some classes? Yes. Crippling? Nope.

[edit] Just looked at the video. It demonstrates a couple things. 1) Perseverance, unless you think that was the guy's first run-through. 2) Downed-mechanic, giving you a second chance. He used it two times. Third time he actually died and used a checkpoint. 3) Flexibility of classes. Several times he swapped out skills and traits. 4) Dodging. Every point of damage you avoid is one you don't have to heal. 5) Choice of dungeon. Single target bosses, few adds, attacks that can be avoided. None of this screams broken to me.

Population is more spread out now than at launch. You can still get several random people in all zones to help you in tough spots, often even without calling out in map chat. ANet is also adding stuff that should cause people to visit "lowbie" zones more often, and their loot model helps, as it drops stuff for your actual level, not for the level of the zone. Lvl80 in lvl1 zone still gets lvl80 drops. You do get downleveled, so you can't steamroll evrything, though it is still a fair bit easier than doing it at level.

DEs are happening all the time, many involve several stages (that's I believe what the meta refers to). Eg, escort some Asura supplies to a lab is step one, in step two you have to defend the lab. Some chains involve three or four events. Dungeons you mostly run to get the look you want, and gold. All gear stats are the same between drops, crafted stuff, dungeon gear. I don't recall off-hand, but I think you might not get all stat combos (power, precision, crit damage, condition damage, etc) from all places, so you might have do to one thing to get the gear stats you want. Most stat combos you can get from several sources. Note that there are no "raids", i.e. organized, large scale instances. Dungeons are instanced, but limited to 5 players, any DE can draw large crowds, but it's open world and usually not very organized.

ANet tried to avoid the "gear treadmill", where you need tier 1 gear to be able to run tier 2, where you get tier 2 gear, which you need to run tier 3, etc, etc. The high end gear in terms of stats, called "exotic" level gear, is easy to get if you don't care about the looks of it. The problem is that there is a tier of prestigious gear, called "legendaries", that is hard as all get out to get, though it doesn't get you any better stats as exotics. So, there was a huge gap in terms of effort to get an exotic versus a legendary, and ANet wanted to insert a tier - ascended - that's in between in terms of effort. To make it worthwhile for people to go after this - I'm guessing here - they gave the ascended items better stats, hence the cries about gear treadmill. ANet admitted that this should have been in from release and they screwed that up. I say let's give them this one and see if they add any more gear levels. If they do, then we can all start the howling.

If you are interested in WvW (world PvP) I'd avise some reserach into which server to go to. Some servers are much less into that stuff than others and you mileage may vary. But WvW is IMO the most fun aspect and the one that will likely live the longest, and I don't even really like PvP.

Did someone mention it's B2P? None of the F2P-(but not really) nonsense. I'm looking at you here, TOR.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Are you still playing?

I hope this gets answered asap, but also do you see a lot of lies in the post as well? Or at the very least opinions stated as facts, like it's the most frustrating part of the post.

One thing is sure since Novemember 15th a few people lost their minds completely.

Do I need to eleborate? 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly, any game will have issues with bots and hacks. While the hacks GW2 is a bit more 'extreme' then most games, its best to just play it and ignore those issues since every game will have it in some form or another. 

I'd recomend either trying it first or buying it. You can always ask for a refund. Chances are you will find out about ~30 or so if the game is fun or if its starting to wane. Personally I feel its highly over-rated, but that doesn't mean that you won't enjoy it either. Just don't let hackers/bots detract you. As far as I've seen, they are cleaning them up and while they are worst then a lot of other games, its going to be impossible to find a game without them.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Some of the posts in here are slightly exaggerated, but i will say you will get your 60 bucks out of the game. Will it be the MMO that holds you for years? Probably not. At least not consecutively. I have 6 characters max level, enjoyed every bit of it. Now, like most themeparks, i'm waiting for more content, and, in my opinion, the content they have added thus far has been very grindy.

I'm also a stay at home dad and pretty much sucked the life out of this game xD

Playing a few hours a day, the game will last you a good long while. It's lasted me this long(since launch), and i'm pretty hardcore. Currently taking a break while they sort out WvW.

EDIT: Bots and hacks: Both are to be had in the game, bots get banned regularly in big waves. It's actually made me some money. Find what all the bots are killing, and kill some yourself. See what that mob drops, and buy a fuckton of it. Wait for bot bans. Prices on those items shoot up, dump your load into the economy, and make a profit.

Hacks are a funny thing. Modifying you client data to do something to your character, applies to all characters on your screen. So the speed hacks and stuff will make other look like they are speeding around to. As far as pvp goes, this obviously doesnt work too well for the hackers, the players they want to kill are never where they should be. This is common in all the hack programs. They get around it slightly by shutting them off and waiting abit before trying to attack anyone, so when you are fighting someone, they aren't hacking. If you kill them, then they turn on uber speedboost to quickly get back to you, is another thing.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by RizelStar

There's been an ongoing issue with DR (diminishing returns regarding loot) that causes people to not receive a darned thing worth your time after the first thirty minutes of farming mats. It's gotten so bad in cases that it causes chests to disappear at the end of boss fights so people don't get a thing (these are p6eople who've done nothing but dragon events and dungeon runs when they login). DR has been highly controversial because of the way it harms players. It allows bots to avoid it simply by it's failed design. See they designed it to require you to teleport to a new area to take off DR. What this does is allow the botters who can freely teleport anywhere using a hack software to continue farming while players who can't teleport ad infinitum like this to be stuck with the DR. There's also a concern that people have picked up a permaDR account wide that causes them to instantly begin receive the junk drops in open world the moment they hit their 3rd enemy and kill it. Needless to say people cannot aquire currency to even travel much less gear their characters. The only loot issue they've admitted to is the bug that causes people to not get credit for their kills even when they are the only one killing the enemy. That fix is due to be posted on the 26th.

Are you still playing?

I hope this gets answered asap, but also do you see a lot of lies in the post as well? Or at the very least opinions stated as facts, like it's the most frustrating part of the post.

One thing is sure since Novemember 15th a few people lost their minds completely.

Do I need to eleborate? 

I didn't like ascended items and protested about it in here and in the official forums (they were a band aid to try stop the power progression crowd to leave, but obviously the progression crowd isn't interest in higher stats items, they are interested in locking people out of content so there can be an elite).

I've never been hit by DR much less a permanent DR - I have no idea if is true or not, but I've always seen conspiracy theories whenever random is involved.

I know people cried that the dungeons rewards were too crappy. Anet increased dungeons rewards. Now people cry the dungeons rewards are too good compared to the world rewards.

People cried that the bots destroyed the economy and it was impossible to make money since everthing was so cheap.

Bots were banned, prices went up. Dungeon rewards increased, more money in the economy prices went up. Karma gains increased. Ways to convert karma into coin and materials entered the market, materials price went down a bit but more money is in the market.

Now people cry everything is too expensive (mind you, most of it is cosmetic).

Anet has a story of starting very slow with rewards but keeping adjusting them.

GW2 population was goind down before the 15th of November. it went down for a while longer. Since then it is noticeable the increase in players.

I've no idea how people can go for hours on end without seeing tons of other people.

Obviously sPvP players are going since there is no tournament scene, WvW has the invisible army problem and suffered with the free server changes.

• QullexQullex Member Posts: 12

Alright RizelStar, I'll take a stab at this.

Economy: Not a big market player. However, I never needed to convert gems to gold.

Imbalance: In PVP, Thief and Warrior glass cannon builds can theoretically close to one-shot other glass cannon builds... if targets stand still and not even try to avoid the damage. Any sane build (one that has some balance and survivability) in hands of semi-concious player will not be one-shotted. As for necro/engi:  Here we have a video of one of those horribly designed and buggy engineers diving into enemy zerg for fun. Soloing dungeons is possible and I've done this. However, not on a Warrior: used a Ranger. Its boring. I've also heard of Guards and Eles soloing. I believe that any class can do it if they try hard enough.

DR: Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this was issue that was introduced and fixed last year. I have not ran into DR myself and I have several characters at 80. When itgrowls talks about a fix in upcoming patch, the bug is not exactly as he describes. There is a problem with champion mobs (and those only) not dropping correct loot for some players that is being fixed. This is only issue with loot drops that I have seen happen.

Population: I too am on RP server amusingly enough (unofficial RP server, game has no server differentiation). I'm not sure which server itgrowls is on, but my experience on TC is directly opposite of what is described. Having leveled three characters to 80 with two more toons in 30s and one very low level one that I am constantly switching around, I very rarely found that I am completely alone. Usually I have to play at odd hours for this to happen. I created a new human elementalist in my "try new things" slot last night and was thrown into overflow in human starting zone.

DE: Don't know what itgrowls was expecting here, but DEs delivered for me. Large chains of events to kill dragon's leiutenants and take temples from world bosses in Orr certainly have rewards that can be compared what you can get for dungeons (exotic armors, rare weapons). 

Gear: Anet never said Exotics would forever be top of the line gear, not sure where itgrowls got that idea. For weapons, Legendary gear tier was above Exotic since game launch. Anet did say there will not be a gear treadmill, which there still isn't even with introduction of new tier. The only content that requires that gear are the higher difficulty levels of the new dungeon. The lower levels of which give Ascendant gear, so you get it by simply playing the game. No other content is gear gated. My first 80 spent quite a bit of time in greens before I got around to getting him rares and exotics. He performed fine in all content, I did not feel the slightest bit underpowered. Higher tier of gear is nice, but not mandatory to enjoy the game, which is exactly what was promised.

Content: I believe part of the reason people complain about content is because they don't look hard enough and because Anet is in the habit of ninja releasing content. They don't announce when new DE are developed or go into rotation. In my case, as I mentioned earlier I have three 80s and three lower level toons. As I enter certain zones I've been in I constantly encounter events I've never experienced. This is either because I went through the zone so quickly I did not encounter event before or because something new has been introduced. In any case, its new to me. What is more, I constantly find new tidbits that I've missed before (interactable objects and NPCs that do cool things when poked).

The post itgrowls made might lead you to believe that only thing added to game since launch is the new dungeon. However there are new events, holiday events (each with its own jumping puzzle, minigames, and in case of Halloween a dungeon), one time Karka invasion that destroyed parts of Lion's Arch (which are being rebuilt in real time for those with patience to notice) and introduced new 80 zone. That zone will be used for Guild missions content. Two new PVP maps, and probably other things that I'm missing.

Hope that answers your question.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by RizelStar

There's been an ongoing issue with DR (diminishing returns regarding loot) that causes people to not receive a darned thing worth your time after the first thirty minutes of farming mats. It's gotten so bad in cases that it causes chests to disappear at the end of boss fights so people don't get a thing (these are p6eople who've done nothing but dragon events and dungeon runs when they login). DR has been highly controversial because of the way it harms players. It allows bots to avoid it simply by it's failed design. See they designed it to require you to teleport to a new area to take off DR. What this does is allow the botters who can freely teleport anywhere using a hack software to continue farming while players who can't teleport ad infinitum like this to be stuck with the DR. There's also a concern that people have picked up a permaDR account wide that causes them to instantly begin receive the junk drops in open world the moment they hit their 3rd enemy and kill it. Needless to say people cannot aquire currency to even travel much less gear their characters. The only loot issue they've admitted to is the bug that causes people to not get credit for their kills even when they are the only one killing the enemy. That fix is due to be posted on the 26th.

Are you still playing?

Do I need to eleborate? 

I didn't like ascended items and protested about it in here and in the official forums (they were a band aid to try stop the power progression crowd to leave, but obviously the progression crowd isn't interest in higher stats items, they are interested in locking people out of content so there can be an elite).

I've never been hit by DR much less a permanent DR - I have no idea if is true or not, but I've always seen conspiracy theories whenever random is involved.

I know people cried that the dungeons rewards were too crappy. Anet increased dungeons rewards. Now people cry the dungeons rewards are too good compared to the world rewards.

People cried that the bots destroyed the economy and it was impossible to make money since everthing was so cheap.

Bots were banned, prices went up. Dungeon rewards increased, more money in the economy prices went up. Karma gains increased. Ways to convert karma into coin and materials entered the market, materials price went down a bit but more money is in the market.

Now people cry everything is too expensive (mind you, most of it is cosmetic).

Anet has a story of starting very slow with rewards but keeping adjusting them.

GW2 population was goind down before the 15th of November. it went down for a while longer. Since then it is noticeable the increase in players.

I've no idea how people can go for hours on end without seeing tons of other people.

Obviously sPvP players are going since there is no tournament scene, WvW has the invisible army problem and suffered with the free server changes.

Originally posted by Qullex

Alright RizelStar, I'll take a stab at this.

Economy: Not a big market player. However, I never needed to convert gems to gold.

Imbalance: In PVP, Thief and Warrior glass cannon builds can theoretically close to one-shot other glass cannon builds... if targets stand still and not even try to avoid the damage. Any sane build (one that has some balance and survivability) in hands of semi-concious player will not be one-shotted. As for necro/engi:  Here we have a video of one of those horribly designed and buggy engineers diving into enemy zerg for fun. Soloing dungeons is possible and I've done this. However, not on a Warrior: used a Ranger. Its boring. I've also heard of Guards and Eles soloing. I believe that any class can do it if they try hard enough.

DR: Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this was issue that was introduced and fixed last year. I have not ran into DR myself and I have several characters at 80. When itgrowls talks about a fix in upcoming patch, the bug is not exactly as he describes. There is a problem with champion mobs (and those only) not dropping correct loot for some players that is being fixed. This is only issue with loot drops that I have seen happen.

Population: I too am on RP server amusingly enough (unofficial RP server, game has no server differentiation). I'm not sure which server itgrowls is on, but my experience on TC is directly opposite of what is described. Having leveled three characters to 80 with two more toons in 30s and one very low level one that I am constantly switching around, I very rarely found that I am completely alone. Usually I have to play at odd hours for this to happen. I created a new human elementalist in my "try new things" slot last night and was thrown into overflow in human starting zone.

DE: Don't know what itgrowls was expecting here, but DEs delivered for me. Large chains of events to kill dragon's leiutenants and take temples from world bosses in Orr certainly have rewards that can be compared what you can get for dungeons (exotic armors, rare weapons). 

Gear: Anet never said Exotics would forever be top of the line gear, not sure where itgrowls got that idea. For weapons, Legendary gear tier was above Exotic since game launch. Anet did say there will not be a gear treadmill, which there still isn't even with introduction of new tier. The only content that requires that gear are the higher difficulty levels of the new dungeon. The lower levels of which give Ascendant gear, so you get it by simply playing the game. No other content is gear gated. My first 80 spent quite a bit of time in greens before I got around to getting him rares and exotics. He performed fine in all content, I did not feel the slightest bit underpowered. Higher tier of gear is nice, but not mandatory to enjoy the game, which is exactly what was promised.

Content: I believe part of the reason people complain about content is because they don't look hard enough and because Anet is in the habit of ninja releasing content. They don't announce when new DE are developed or go into rotation. In my case, as I mentioned earlier I have three 80s and three lower level toons. As I enter certain zones I've been in I constantly encounter events I've never experienced. This is either because I went through the zone so quickly I did not encounter event before or because something new has been introduced. In any case, its new to me. What is more, I constantly find new tidbits that I've missed before (interactable objects and NPCs that do cool things when poked).

The post itgrowls made might lead you to believe that only thing added to game since launch is the new dungeon. However there are new events, holiday events (each with its own jumping puzzle, minigames, and in case of Halloween a dungeon), one time Karka invasion that destroyed parts of Lion's Arch (which are being rebuilt in real time for those with patience to notice) and introduced new 80 zone. That zone will be used for Guild missions content. Two new PVP maps, and probably other things that I'm missing.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the replies and yes my question was answered.

Appreciate it honestly.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    well until now it the only MMO of worth 50 dollars...

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Qullex

(...)

Gear: Anet never said Exotics would forever be top of the line gear, not sure where itgrowls got that idea. For weapons, Legendary gear tier was above Exotic since game launch.

(...)

According to following thread from the end of September 2012, https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/crafting/Legendary-weapons-stats, legendary weapons were not above exotics power-wise at that point: they were at the exact same power level. Can you disprove that thread?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by loulaki
    well until now it the only MMO of worth 50 dollars...

... many could argue that. I'd happily shell out $50 again for rift, even with the monthly fee while I'd have a hard time really putting $20 for GW2 without a monthly fee. It really depends on what a person like anything else out there. Your value of "$50" is a lot different then someone elses.