Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Posts Are Getting Ridiculous

Lately I cringe everytime I visit this website due to the completely delusional hype and constant posts about a game that doesn't even exist.

Mark Jacobs writes a blog with some really great ideas, most of which I completely agree with but that's it, there's no game yet and until we actually see these ideas at work, there's really not much to discuss or get hyped about.

What's really funny is that many of these CU zealots seem to have already made up their minds that the games coming out this year are going to suck, yet they will bow at the altar of Camelot Unchained after reading a few blog posts.  

I understand that people are yearning for something new but let's focus on games that are at least in production.

Comments

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    People are bound to get excited when they think they're being listened to as a niche market. Especially when they've been an afterthought in most recent MMOs. I don't think most people here think everything else this year will suck, unless you mean mmos... though ESO may come out this year so I wouldn't even go that far. 
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

"there's really not much to discuss"

Mark Jacobs is posting here and claims he is looking for feedback and criticisms so I'd argue the point that there is not much to discuss. If nothing else, there is some excitement seeing the development process from the idea stage to (hopefully) completion. It's not often you get this level of interaction (in my experience) with a developer at this stage of the project so the scepticism/optimism and everything in between is understandable.

I'll agree that there is quite a bit of posting about CU, to the point that there seem to be 2+ threads on the front page at any given time. But, leading up to asking for money (Kickstarter), I suppose the more information/perspective, the better.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by mklinic

"there's really not much to discuss"

Mark Jacobs is posting here and claims he is looking for feedback and criticisms so I'd argue the point that there is not much to discuss. If nothing else, there is some excitement seeing the development process from the idea stage to (hopefully) completion. It's not often you get this level of interaction (in my experience) with a developer at this stage of the project so the scepticism/optimism and everything in between is understandable.

I'll agree that there is quite a bit of posting about CU, to the point that there seem to be 2+ threads on the front page at any given time. But, leading up to asking for money (Kickstarter), I suppose the more information/perspective, the better.

This.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ironicaly you've just stuck another cu thread on the front page.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    We're gamers and fans of video games.  There's your first clue that many of us have little grounds in reality anyway.  And yes, I stopped a kung fu lesson just to type this.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I learned long ago that fanboys don't know what they want. The more devs listen to fanboys the worse off they are.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Lately I cringe everytime I visit this website due to the completely delusional hype and constant posts about a game that doesn't even exist.

Mark Jacobs writes a blog with some really great ideas, most of which I completely agree with but that's it, there's no game yet and until we actually see these ideas at work, there's really not much to discuss or get hyped about.

What's really funny is that many of these CU zealots seem to have already made up their minds that the games coming out this year are going to suck, yet they will bow at the altar of Camelot Unchained after reading a few blog posts.  

I understand that people are yearning for something new but let's focus on games that are at least in production.

Humans are naive. You know when Mcdonalds says we produce the most healthy food? they believe- same reason with everything ells. 

I mean i sell stuff over Inet platforms- and i can guarantee you i can make out of shit gold- and people will buy it and thank me for that! 

HUMANS ARE NAIVE!

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81

I say who cares, let people get excited if they want. Who does it hurt? Why should it bother anyone? I'm more bothered by all the haters, who just want to attack others, and put othrs down.

People are freaking out over the next planned Star Wars trilogy, not even in production. That doesn't mean they aren't going to see a bunch of  movies coming out this year. People can have multiple interests.  It's human nature to get excited about stuff. It's like buying a lotery ticket, I think people just like to dream a bit.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Father_Jack

I say who cares, let people get excited if they want. Who does it hurt? Why should it bother anyone? I'm more bothered by all the haters, who just want to attack others, and put othrs down.

People are freaking out over the next planned Star Wars trilogy, not even in production. That doesn't mean they aren't going to see a bunch of  movies coming out this year. People can have multiple interests.  It's human nature to get excited about stuff. It's like buying a lotery ticket, I think people just like to dream a bit.

It can hurt the game. Over-hype is just as bad as under-hype.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    There is much place for discussions and speculations. Even Mark Jacobs said in an interview on mmorpg.com that he really likes that.
  • HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

One that is completely wrong, adds nothing, and will probably be one of the longer lived threads. :(

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

What's really funny is all of the CU zealot/armchair developers have rewritten the game at least 25 times crying about how the game should and shouldn't be... Steath, RvR, PvE, FFA, CC, the list goes on LOL!!

Personally I have complete faith in MJ's vision  and have tabled getting excited about this game until 2014 when we could potentially see some real progress...

A lot of these Devs are starting to go back to their roots... The title should really be called Mark Jacobs Unchained since he is free from the chains of EA and can go back to developing from his heart.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by botrytis

Originally posted by Father_Jack I say who cares, let people get excited if they want. Who does it hurt? Why should it bother anyone? I'm more bothered by all the haters, who just want to attack others, and put othrs down. People are freaking out over the next planned Star Wars trilogy, not even in production. That doesn't mean they aren't going to see a bunch of  movies coming out this year. People can have multiple interests.  It's human nature to get excited about stuff. It's like buying a lotery ticket, I think people just like to dream a bit.

That is ludicrous. So we need a self-appointed arbiter to tell us what games can and can't be discussed. "The Hype-judge decrees everyone should just stop posting and being excited because there is a clear and present danger people MAY be over-hyping a game?"

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

Hey it worked for GW2 and D3. 

The hype will last until the kickstarter ends anyway. This game will have a real beta not just a few hours for 3 weekends like GW2 or up to level 13 like D3, but the whole game and 24/7 for months. We will know if it's overhyped or not long before release.

Right now the hype is needed to help with the kickstarter. I don't know of any other game that asked for ~$2 mil and got it.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

If it bothers you so much, why even look at the CU forum and why post in it? Why not just ignore it altogether if it bothers you so much?

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Hey it worked for GW2 and D3. 

The hype will last until the kickstarter ends anyway. This game will have a real beta not just a few hours for 3 weekends like GW2 or up to level 13 like D3, but the whole game and 24/7 for months. We will know if it's overhyped or not long before release.

Right now the hype is needed to help with the kickstarter. I don't know of any other game that asked for ~$2 mil and got it.

Actually, based on the threads, on this forum, for D3 and GW2 it hasn't worked. Show me one thread that shows it has helped?

Kickstarter it pocket change - they need to get at least 10X more than that to produce a game any more. Kickstarter is what they will use to get the money amount they actually need to write/produce the game.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

I follow every Camelot Unchained post, blog, or development update for three reasons:

1.  Mark Jacobs co-founded Mythic Entertainment, which developed Dark Age of Camelot.  Despite an outdated graphics engine, it's still the best player versus player content based game on the market.

2.  The same style of mechanics, design, and thought processes that created Dark Age of Camelot will be sewn into Camelot Unchained.  Group dynamics and keep seiges have yet to be captured as well as DAoC, and if any game will do it - it'll be Camelot Unchained.

3.  I absolutely love game development.  That's why I'm currently attending Full Sail University in order to acquire a bachelor's degree in game art.  It's rare you can witness a game company and industry professionals openly craft a masterpiece in the making for the entire world to see.

It isn't "delusional hype"; in fact, it's the kind of hype that excites the fan base, as well as the developers, in making the best game possible.  As long as Mark continues to travel down the path least traveled and provide incredible access to the development process, you'll see a flood of posts regarding this game.  

The only other MMO game I'm partially excited about is Matt Firor's announcement of The Elder Scrolls Online (TESO).  Despite TESO having a much larger budget and man power for development, Camelot Unchained has the chance to be developed and released way before TESO simply because of the content that will be in TESO that won't be in CU.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Chuckle. But people do need reminding, the last "Resurrection of DAoC" vaporised in Beta just last summer. Several have gone down before that one.

(Most startups never even make it TO beta.) Positive attitude counts for something, sure. So does saying All The Right Things. A donation just might help.

But, even given all of those, Startups will still crumble.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/597/feature/5751/Developer-Perspectives-The-Startup-Staff.html

Some of you, likely, shared the same excitement for Dominus, less than a year ago? They hired a pretty much top of the line CE lead, they were serious about their title too. Sanya Weathers and Mark Jacobs are/were both refugees from the same company, in fact.

Sanya's at Undead Labs right now, if I'm not mistaken.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    I learned long ago that fanboys don't know what they want. The more devs listen to fanboys the worse off they are.

BINGO.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

Amen my good sir

• siphonzsiphonz Member Posts: 9

Ok Ok..I've got a simple solution to this dilemma..

Head on over to camelot-unchained.net & discuss CU to your hearts desire! That will save our dearly beloved mmorpg user from having to see the CU posts! ;)

** Camelot-Unchained.net **

http://camelot-unchained.net CU's first unofficial discussion forum geared towards the CU fans only.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    You know what's ridiculous? Posts like the OP's from people who don't care about or just want to trash CU. Hasn't everybody heard of the concept of, "If you don't like it, stop reading about it"? Who's forcing you to click on CU posts? Nobody. So just go away.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Originally posted by meddyck
    You know what's ridiculous? Posts like the OP's from people who don't care about or just want to trash CU. Hasn't everybody heard of the concept of, "If you don't like it, stop reading about it"? Who's forcing you to click on CU posts? Nobody. So just go away.

His point is that the forums is cluttered with this game thats all talk and speculation. Now you sir go kindly walk away

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

We always get users who dislike seeing a game talked about... but overall it shouldn't matter.

Whether the game is amazing, or terrible, or nonexistent,  you'll have tons of posts getting information about it,  then more posts bickering on whether it will be good or not,  then more posts about how good or terrible it is,  and then it will drop to being talked about almost never.

I see that as happening in the span of about a year... 

Just give it more time OP, then we will all move on to the next game someone hates people discussing.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

We always get users who dislike seeing a game talked about... but overall it shouldn't matter.

Whether the game is amazing, or terrible, or nonexistent,  you'll have tons of posts getting information about it,  then more posts bickering on whether it will be good or not,  then more posts about how good or terrible it is,  and then it will drop to being talked about almost never.

I see that as happening in the span of about a year... 

Just give it more time OP, then we will all move on to the next game someone hates people discussing.

I think its more abotu the people posting "OMGAWSH this game is gunna be god!" "how many classes you think it will have" without it having anything on the tables is just rediculouse i can go out state my game system engine etc. gameplay mechanics, and have the same hype and craziness going on?

This discussion has been closed.