Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CU #1 most discussed game on mmorpg.com

boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

... and #3 in hype. 

It seems there is huge interest for such a game, and the people like what they are hearing. PvPers are hungry for a good PvP MMO.

If CSE do this right there is no way the game will have just 30k subs. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Still an awful lot of time for things to "not go right". Calm down.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

It's a pvp game. My experience is that those pvp'ers make a lot of noise. See DF:UW, MortalOnline, WWIIO. Very few people actually play those games but their forums here are always busy. ;)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I remember the same amount of hype for other games that did not pan out.  In the "ideas" stage every game is awesome.  Look at the "features" list for Xsyon, Mortal Online etc.  A lot dies in the implementation.

Having said that I am still looking forward to this one if it does turn out :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92

But there is definitly a base of players who will support it. For example the people who like WvW in GW2, but have the feeling that something is missing. I am optimistic that the game will be funded well. I am quite enthusiastic how this game will evolve in future. I hope that even when the game is released, the community is asked more often per poll if the game should evolve this way or that way.

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I remember the same amount of hype for other games that did not pan out.  In the "ideas" stage every game is awesome.  Look at the "features" list for Xsyon, Mortal Online etc.  A lot dies in the implementation.

Having said that I am still looking forward to this one if it does turn out :)

Yeah it is up to the devs if they can deliver or not. The interest is there though and that is a huge deal for the kickstarter campaign at least.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

It's all talk at the moment.

We'll see once/if it's funded.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    the sandbox promise has always stirred interest.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well its different, different things usually get a lot of people chatting about it.

A lot of us hardcore PVP fans a looking for somthing new to play as there is nothing really out there at the moment so we tend to be mroe active on the forums.. so yeah i guess some are getting hyped about it.

Myself i really like what the guy is saying about the game, he has some great ideas and he is being honest about mistakes that he has made in the past.

So im pretty active on the forums when there is a posty about this game.

Still i dont  tend to get hyped for mmos anymore... just seeing what AV has done with DF:UW makes me glad as well..

Anyway im looknig forard to getting more info about this game thats for sure.

• EaderbrecaEaderbreca MMORPG.com StreamerMember Posts: 44
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

It will all come down to this.

(¯`v?¯) Sophie Breca (?.•?¯`•?.•*?¯`•*
    `*.?.*? Streamer at MMORPG.com
    (\__/)?.•?.•* DAoC PC Staff?)?.•*?)
    (="."=) (?.•? twitter.com/SophieBreca (?.•?
    (")_(")youtube.com/user/sophiebreca
    facebook.com/user/eaderbreca

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Pretty awesome it's getting this much hype and discussion. That will help the KS funding for sure.
  • ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Eaderbreca
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

It will all come down to this.

Pretty much an idea for one may not be for all but as it is blowing up the mmorpg.com forums theres some magic to it at some degree

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by boxsnd

... and #3 in hype. 

It seems there is huge interest for such a game, and the people like what they are hearing. PvPers are hungry for a good PvP MMO.

I too think there's a huge interest in a game like CU. I think they have to keep it modest when saying they're shooting for around 30k people that way when they do even better it won't be like it was with Warhammer, SWTOR, etc. I expect, if they do it right and it's fun they will have way more than 30k people. We'll have to wait and see how it goes though. I think anything more than 250k people  the server communities go to crap, but that's just my opinion.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• SaltyHagSaltyHag Member Posts: 2

Nerds like to support underdogs not affiliated with mega-conglomerate corporate games i.e, the popular rich kids. It's like a little pat on their own back. :) Or narcissism, depending on your perspective.  Fact is though, the outcast kid will ALWAYS choose the hot cheerleader, were she made "available" to him.  Thats just the ol' gene pool lookin' out for itself.  Certainly, there are some fanatic nut jobs that choose the broke down crusty sweater girl, but these types are fringe elements.  They don't undermine the fact that the popular kids are forever going to shape the world the nerds eventually buy into, while trying to look like they dont  (donating to doomed enterprises like Camelot Unchained).  The douche with the 12 bedroom house and a 100 inch monitor has your favorite past-time by the short ones boys.  Like guerrila fighters, its time to sink back into the jungle and live to fight another day.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

... and #3 in hype. 

All it means is that people are talking about it.  It doesn't mean sales.  People are bored and want to "discuss" new topics.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Galadourn
    the sandbox promise has always stirred interest.

IF MJ had come out and said this would be a wow clone with raiding as it's focus, I'd bet many would not be so quick to protect him from the failures of WAR.  But saying the right keywords and phrases then suddenly you aren't to blame for anything about WAR and you are the saviour we have been waiting for.  mmorpg gamers are so easily swayed by such little things.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by waynejr2

... and #3 in hype. 

All it means is that people are talking about it.  It doesn't mean sales.  People are bored and want to "discuss" new topics.

Interest and awareness are two very important factors.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Still an awful lot of time for things to "not go right". Calm down.

Yeah we can only hope we'll be so lucky eh?

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Not a single gameplay video, and I´m supposed to get "hyped"? You know what hyped me up? The Star Citzen Kickstarter.

It showed GAMEPLAY.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by FromHell

Not a single gameplay video, and I´m supposed to get "hyped"? You know what hyped me up? The Star Citzen Kickstarter.

It showed GAMEPLAY.

Good point!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    The game isn't even in production yet and people are thrilled for the idea of it. I think that's pretty darn good. That should tell companies what people like. When there's more hype for a game that isn't even in production yet, people looking forward to it more than the games to be released this year.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53
    It's easy to make promises about your game while it's still barely being announced. It's far too early to tell if this game will be what we are all hoping for; CU doesn't even have an actual name yet. I for one hope that MJ's continued interaction with the perspective players will play a crucial role in determining the direction in which this game takes.
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by Nyrrho

It's easy to make promises about your game while it's still barely being announced. It's far too early to tell if this game will be what we are all hoping for; CU doesn't even have an actual name yet. I for one hope that MJ's continued interaction with the perspective players will play a crucial role in determining the direction in which this game takes.

I agree that it's too early to tell exactly how well it will be implemented. However, you also don't seem overly informed about the information that has been released thus far. No offense intended, but Mr. Jacobs is doing anything but making promises that he might not be able to keep. He is already drawing a line and letting the fanbase know that certain things are only stretch goals, or beyond the scope of the game at release. I don't think he's trying to create any delusions of grandeur here. If he knows it's unlikely to be included at release, he isn't going to claim otherwise.
    Originally posted by collekt
    Originally posted by Nyrrho

I agree that it's too early to tell exactly how well it will be implemented. However, you also don't seem overly informed about the information that has been released thus far. No offense intended, but Mr. Jacobs is doing anything but making promises that he might not be able to keep. He is already drawing a line and letting the fanbase know that certain things are only stretch goals, or beyond the scope of the game at release. I don't think he's trying to create any delusions of grandeur here. If he knows it's unlikely to be included at release, he isn't going to claim otherwise.

I'm not saying MJ is making promises that he intends not to keep. A game this early in development can become anything. Even if the game follows his foundational principles, most of which I agree with, there is no telling yet how that will actually affect the game in its development. All too often there have been features that look good on paper, but are terribly implemented.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Your statement, "It's easy to make promises about your game while it's still barely being announced," just came off that way to me. All I'm saying is that he is clearly being cautious about what he promises, not throwing out the "easy" promises that a lot of devs seem to do these days.

On the other hand, if you're talking about the implementation of the things he says.. well he will be the first person to tell you that he's going to make some risky choices that may or may not go well. These kinds of choices are necessary to further what an MMO is/can be. That being said, Mark has an extensive amount of experience under his belt in terms of MMOs. He has seen what works and what doesn't, and I can't think of anyone I'd trust more to develop this game.
    Originally posted by collekt
    Your statement, "It's easy to make promises about your game while it's still barely being announced," just came off that way to me. All I'm saying is that he is clearly being cautious about what he promises, not throwing out the "easy" promises that a lot of devs seem to do these days. On the other hand, if you're talking about the implementation of the things he says.. well he will be the first person to tell you that he's going to make some risky choices that may or may not go well. These kinds of choices are necessary to further what an MMO is/can be. That being said, Mark has an extensive amount of experience under his belt in terms of MMOs. He has seen what works and what doesn't, and I can't think of anyone I'd trust more to develop this game.

His foundational principles seem like no easy promises, by any means. I appreciate that he stands firm on trying to break the mold of cookie cutter MMOs. However, it's no surprise that some games inevitably get pushed back, or features left out, because the developers are trying to fit 10 lbs. of MMO in a 5 lb. bag, and simply can't meet deadlines or budgets. I do agree though, that it is long overdue that the boundaries of MMOs are challenged.

While he does have a lot of experience in this business, not all of it good mind you (I still regret purchasing my WAR collector's edition), that level of experience brings a higher level of expectation. Just imagine how your expectations would differ if a relatively unknown developer announced a title called Camelot Unchained.

I'm eager to see how this game develops.