Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions of Regnum needs an updated review from here its changed

cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

This game for its old DAOC like realm vs realm and feel for the game has gotten a complete facelift and a lot more polish. Its sporting a completely new interface that isnt clunky and actually streamlined nicely. I do not hardly think many free to play games merit any praise but out of all of them Ive played over the years , this one seems to be a sincere attempt of making a quality DAOC clone game .

Graphics - while still outdated by todays standards they have been hugely improved with this past months very large game update. Water filtering of textures and lighting has gotten a makeover. Added in FXAA darker shadows and nights , and bloom etc. Add in SweetFX with AA off in the options and this game actually looks really good.  Next month faces of characters are getting revamped and it looks like armor and weapons so its getting a huge facelift to modernize it.

Gameplay- is still the old tab targeting quest driven system until your high enough to realm vs realm . Combat animations are more fluid now from what Ive seen and it seems to have some more polish done to it. They added in some battlegrounds instanced pvp along side of the very large realm vs realm zone and also there is now 9 relics of power held in each of the realms keeps just like DAOC had.

There has been a new race added as well to each of the three realms. New armor sets and siege weapons. Gold used to repair doors and keeps and upgrade them etc. All in all its a good close clone to DAOC in combat and atmosphere.

The dev team seems pretty commited to the game and at least on the game samba realms online version the staff is active daily on the forums etc.

Anyways I really think this game needs a new review done since its changed so much in the last two months compared to the old game. Its really the only true 3 realm pvp game I can think of that is a direct clone of DAOC and worth a look again.

Also I was playing at 4am on the realms online server for america and the realm vs realm zones were pretty active still so that was good to see since I thought for sure the game would be dead. I was pleasently surprised to see all the care and changes done to this game and its getting some decent love now and worth a look if you want to play a realm vs realm game thats pretty old school.

Comments

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

Any news on dungeons or crafting? 

Played this a while back and it was believed that they were not interested in either at that point in time.  Instanced dungeons we were told were not going to happen despite the fact that you had one on Ignis when you had to fight a giant spider.  If they added those I would consider returning.

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by cronius77

This game for its old DAOC like realm vs realm and feel for the game has gotten a complete facelift and a lot more polish. Its sporting a completely new interface that isnt clunky and actually streamlined nicely. I do not hardly think many free to play games merit any praise but out of all of them Ive played over the years , this one seems to be a sincere attempt of making a quality DAOC clone game .

Graphics - while still outdated by todays standards they have been hugely improved with this past months very large game update. Water filtering of textures and lighting has gotten a makeover. Added in FXAA darker shadows and nights , and bloom etc. Add in SweetFX with AA off in the options and this game actually looks really good.  Next month faces of characters are getting revamped and it looks like armor and weapons so its getting a huge facelift to modernize it.

Gameplay- is still the old tab targeting quest driven system until your high enough to realm vs realm . Combat animations are more fluid now from what Ive seen and it seems to have some more polish done to it. They added in some battlegrounds instanced pvp along side of the very large realm vs realm zone and also there is now 9 relics of power held in each of the realms keeps just like DAOC had.

There has been a new race added as well to each of the three realms. New armor sets and siege weapons. Gold used to repair doors and keeps and upgrade them etc. All in all its a good close clone to DAOC in combat and atmosphere.

The dev team seems pretty commited to the game and at least on the game samba realms online version the staff is active daily on the forums etc.

Anyways I really think this game needs a new review done since its changed so much in the last two months compared to the old game. Its really the only true 3 realm pvp game I can think of that is a direct clone of DAOC and worth a look again.

Also I was playing at 4am on the realms online server for america and the realm vs realm zones were pretty active still so that was good to see since I thought for sure the game would be dead. I was pleasently surprised to see all the care and changes done to this game and its getting some decent love now and worth a look if you want to play a realm vs realm game thats pretty old school.

Quick question..

Have they decided what to do with the RP? Do they do anything?

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

B1mble - well, the spider quest for level 1(?) is still the only instanced quest. And i have not heard anything to suggest the devs are changing their position opposing any introduction of crafting. actually, Regnum is really almost  90% focussed on pvp. Almost all the effort is put into making a balanced open RvR pvp game which is hectic and full of combat. It does make it probably in the top 3 F2P balanced open RvR pvp DAOC style games out there. The game isn't for people who want to really roleplay ro craft in their mmos. By open pvp it seems if your opponent is online, he cannot hide in an instance and you should be able to find and kill him (suposedly).

General Dru - By RP you mean Reputation Points which are scored for player kills? Well they have introduced a new rankings page which produces figures on weekly change in RPs  and lifetime total RPs. Thee figures are calculated on a total RP basis as well as on the basis of a kills per death ratio. They haven't released the formulas (yet) :( The rankings page can be seen here

http://www.championsofregnum.com/index.php?l=1&sec=19&rank=0&world=1&realm=-1&class=3&range=0

The top names all show the players who are often seen in the warzone and who are supposedly (good" at fighting.

Regnum isn't a perfect mmo. They only have a small dev team. But the combat is intense, you do get 30 vs 30 vs 30 battles, it is well balanced and it is F2P and not buy to win. The only comparable alternatives would be Aika Online and Aion Online, and it is arguable regnum has better combat balance and variety.

I even looked at Warhammer Online but Warh O is f2p up to level 10. Levels 10-40 need u to pay.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    the game is still a grind until max lvl where the fun is (RvR) and some classes have a hard time leveling up solo ><

it is somewhat grindy. is the grind more or less than Aion and Aika Online - anyone know?

basically how i approached it was this: Levels 1-30 is fast on Regnum. After level 30 I grinded and warred in the warzone. Killing players gives about 10 times more xap especially at low levels. o if I just got one or 2 hits in on a high level player and others killed him I would get mega xp. 2ndly, on Haven server they have regular and surprise 100-200% xp boosts. So all i did was wait till boost time and grinded fast.

Finally, actually I didn't mind fighting level 50-60s even though i was levels 30-45s. It is pvp versus human players and so, eventhough they were stronger, I found ways to either win or annoy them to hell (hehe.. wait till level 58 is grinding and is on 10% hp, then gank him for mega xp lol). Nice thing is, all your stun/effects spells as a low level player work on high level players. As I passed levels 50-55 I actually found myself missing the grind a bit. Also as a level 40, I liked hunting other levels 40s and 30s. Even running and escaping from level 60s was fun. It made them mad.

Figuring out how to level up solo is a bit of a puzzle for each character. Mages, barbs and archers are easier. But once you figure  it out and know your expectations, it becomes easier. As hunter i aimed for about 100,000 xp per hour of grinding, if 100% boost was on.

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

So whats the point of grinding just so you can get to the rvr.?

Regnum failed for me because I suddenly realised that it was not going to become a fleshed out world that I could roam around in and have multiple possibilities for my character.  It was a straight up repetitive borefest untill RvR at which point I asked (on the forum) why they didn't just make everyone max level and give them points to distribute in their chosen class.

Its not like anyone could aim for being the best armourer/weaponsmith/trader or the best dungeon runner or the best anything else in the game now is it?

Seriously, games like this are a waste of life.  Its like adding levels to Team Fortress 2  and saying you cant play in matches untill your level 30.

I might look in on this again in the distant future but unless they make it a bit more 3D then meh!  I would rather watch paint dry.

Originally posted by B1mble

So whats the point of grinding just so you can get to the rvr.?

Regnum failed for me because I suddenly realised that it was not going to become a fleshed out world that I could roam around in and have multiple possibilities for my character.  It was a straight up repetitive borefest untill RvR at which point I asked (on the forum) why they didn't just make everyone max level and give them points to distribute in their chosen class.

Its not like anyone could aim for being the best armourer/weaponsmith/trader or the best dungeon runner or the best anything else in the game now is it?

Seriously, games like this are a waste of life.  Its like adding levels to Team Fortress 2  and saying you cant play in matches untill your level 30.

I might look in on this again in the distant future but unless they make it a bit more 3D then meh!  I would rather watch paint dry.

yea.. Regnum isn't really for everybody. you're right, i dont think Regnum will ever let you flesh out your character with things like new cities to explore, amazing magic things to craft or even new instances for quests etc. i mean, even i get bored of pvp. but.. well that's all i use Regnum for. ( I pvp about 2 hours a day, split into about 4 random sesssions).

so basically Regnum is only good if all you want is to be able to jump in, have fun running around killing players and dying in sometimes hilarious situations, and jump out. no need to chat to people, no need to roleplay, quest, grind etc etc.

Why don't they make it a max level mmo? Yea, I think they should. GW2 has a max level RvR area. I suspect Regnum doesn't because 1) they need money by selling xp booster scrolls and 2) somehow players enjoy fighting other players of different/higher levels. it's actually quite funny to run into battle as a lowbie 40 level player and gank kill a level 60 as he is heroically fending off a mob of enemies. And you get mega xp for the kill. All that bravery undone. and of course it is quite a challenge to defeat a higher level player in pvp - can be done depending on your build and combat situation. its also very painful to lose to a lower level player. you see, the way they built the combat mechanics, lower level players' stuns etc all work on higher level players.

so.. yea Regnum really isn';t for every1. Team Fortress 2 is F2P right? But.. i prefer Regnum because I get a top down 3rd person view in Regnum and this gives a completely different tacitcal gameplay element. TF2 is more like a FPS to me. FPS pvp is really boring for me ( i tried quake, counterstrike etc etc) because i feel so restricted in situational awareness.

Nah.. the gfx may remain very basic for a long time. I actually like the clean look. I played Silkroad  Online (wow amazing artwork) and games like Dungeons * Dragons Online --- but i dont like the more detailed beautiful gfx because of that odd golden glow covering everything. it actually hurts my eyes. Nights and Days in Regnum are so crisp and clean - i feel my head clear riding round in Regnum.