Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: The Orcs Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Not all is sweetness and light in Cryptic's Neverwinter. There is an unattractive underbelly to the city that is inhabited by the "ugly" Orcs. Check out this new video from Cryptic Studios that gives the inside scoop on everyone's favorite bad guys. Let us know what you think!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Was that wizard-like character a control wizard or something else? I didn't recognize that whole energy ball thing...

EDIT: Okay, after watching the control wizard trailer again, I do believe it's a control wizard. Nevermind.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Combat still looks horrible.
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Gaeluian

in YOUR opinion, sure is.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

ranged is off putting as everything locks you and I like mobile ranged casting on the run..but melee and especially rogue is a lot of fun..more fun than tera imho

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

ranged is off putting as everything locks you and I like mobile ranged casting on the run..but melee and especially rogue is a lot of fun..more fun than tera imho

Pretty much this.  I get the whole "different opinions" thing, but half the time I wonder if people actual do their research before making hasty comments.  Still, I guess when it happens it's good for a laugh and a shake of the head.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    I may be completely wrong, but after reading a few d&d novels, my impression of the orcs looks nothing like this. They seem to big and scary, the orcs in the novels while they love fightning and are somewhat strong and fierce, they are more cowardly like and not exactly like the warhammer orcs.
  • uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    If only I had $200 love dnd not a huge fan of DDDO
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

agree

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Everket
    I may be completely wrong, but after reading a few d&d novels, my impression of the orcs looks nothing like this. They seem to big and scary, the orcs in the novels while they love fightning and are somewhat strong and fierce, they are more cowardly like and not exactly like the warhammer orcs.

from the 1977 Monster Manual

the orcs fighting in the video seem like the Uruk Hai from Lord of the Rings

- "soldier" orcs from Helms Deep

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

The novel could have talking about half orcs, also define "cowardly".  If they retreated in battle after losing a bunch of their guys that's not cowardice, that's regrouping.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Can't wait.  This game is gonna suprise some people!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I don't think DnD really had many ranged casting abilities that were instant cast.  Most of them took some sort of amount of "time" to fire off since your character was either reading a scroll or doing some type of  hand gesturing along with chanting the magic words.  I guess mobile casting would the equivalent of running and effectively conversing using sign language in Chinese (I don't know if the Chinese actually have a separate type of sign language).

The only cases I can think off would be the use of wands with charges.  Of course this game isn't really sticking to DnD conventions to much, so who knows.  However I think it would be cool that if you could eventually work up to mobile casting through feats/talents (whatever they are using) to reflect how proffecient you got with your spells.

Other than that, the combat looks O.K. to me.  Other than the use of lore and names I'm still trying to see how this is a form of DnD though.  Of course who am I or anyone else to say, specially if they have the blessings of Wizards of the Coast. Or does Atari own DnD now?  I can't remember.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

WoW kids can't relate to the type your describing, therefore less likely to buy into the game, hence the WoW/warhammer style orcs.

And to the mobile casting remark, I can't recall ever having a pen and paper wizard do a run and gun, even with a wand or staff.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Come on Wild Mage announcement...come on.
    Originally posted by rodingo

I don't think DnD really had many ranged casting abilities that were instant cast.  Most of them took some sort of amount of "time" to fire off since your character was either reading a scroll or doing some type of  hand gesturing along with chanting the magic words.  I guess mobile casting would the equivalent of running and effectively conversing using sign language in Chinese (I don't know if the Chinese actually have a separate type of sign language).

The only cases I can think off would be the use of wands with charges.  Of course this game isn't really sticking to DnD conventions to much, so who knows.  However I think it would be cool that if you could eventually work up to mobile casting through feats/talents (whatever they are using) to reflect how proffecient you got with your spells.

Other than that, the combat looks O.K. to me.  Other than the use of lore and names I'm still trying to see how this is a form of DnD though.  Of course who am I or anyone else to say, specially if they have the blessings of Wizards of the Coast. Or does Atari own DnD now?  I can't remember.

yea i think the main issues is I have gotten so used to gw2 combat not being able to cast ranged spells on the move just feels so off.. the trickster rogue is fun though lots of mobility and teleporting around.. is very fun class.. the guardian fighter isn't bad either.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

It's based off of D&D fourth edition rules, they've worked closely with WotC extensively and from what i've read Wands no longer require charges to be used that's entirely up to the GM if they wish to keep the old system of using charges. Wizards now use more then the wand/staff for their tools (it's why you see orbs in the game) and one can do dailies in the book version from the arcane tool itself, in order to simplify things for the game tho I think they just allowed for dailies to be slotted abilities.

They mentioned extensively why they didn't want people moving with every type of cast and it was to prevent people from abusing combat movement algorithms. It's happening in games like GW2 right now where the casters can just run and throw things and never get hit. Melee players have been complaining about that since launch in the main forums.

Not all of the abilities keep people still while casting usually only the larger more damaging casts from what I've seen.

Originally posted by itgrowls

It's based off of D&D fourth edition rules, they've worked closely with WotC extensively and from what i've read Wands no longer require charges to be used that's entirely up to the GM if they wish to keep the old system of using charges. Wizards now use more then the wand/staff for their tools (it's why you see orbs in the game) and one can do dailies in the book version from the arcane tool itself, in order to simplify things for the game tho I think they just allowed for dailies to be slotted abilities.

They mentioned extensively why they didn't want people moving with every type of cast and it was to prevent people from abusing combat movement algorithms. It's happening in games like GW2 right now where the casters can just run and throw things and never get hit. Melee players have been complaining about that since launch in the main forums.

Not all of the abilities keep people still while casting usually only the larger more damaging casts from what I've seen.

it seems they have changed this.. because now even abilities you see in the trailers like devoted cleric where he is back pedling while casting that skill now roots you. Not sure if this applies to all ranged skills or not though

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Thats interesting about the 4th edition rules.  I never played a game that used that version.  In fact I only learned about D&D rule sets through older Bioware games and Temple of Elemental Evil (awsome game).  I think Bioware stopped with a slightly modified version of 3.5 in Storm of Zehir, which is the last D&D game I played.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    too bad you can't play as one like in PnP...I liked playing chaotic evil :D
  • jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by LIOKI

WoW kids can't relate to the type your describing, therefore less likely to buy into the game, hence the WoW/warhammer style orcs.

And to the mobile casting remark, I can't recall ever having a pen and paper wizard do a run and gun, even with a wand or staff.

From my understanding, and reading some of the novels leading up to the Neverwinter time period, as well as doing research on the orcs in DnD in general(from official sources/books), I have seen nothing that really points to orcs being cowerdly.  Sure, in the sense, they might not be so apt to challenge something bigger one on one, and choose to fight in frantic, chaotic overpowering groups, but they will not simply run once in battle. Some might, some might not.  Even the novels portray a variety of individual/group personalities.  Plus, the orcs in Neverwinter are decended from the Many-arrows tribe, which differentiated themselves from other orcs in that they maintained a steady kingdom for about 100 years.  While they have mostly returned to normal orc ways, you can take it that some of that stability might have carried over, and thus these orcs might be less incline to cowardice, and more inclined to defending what they believe is their's with more conviction.

Try to use a little reason, some imagination, and also realize the orcs in WoW have had just as many sides shown of them throughout the games life.  Just because the kiddie crowed refused to actually watch the story unfold and just plows through the game, and then attributes orcs to automatically mean giant, nasy, killing hungry machines, is not the fault of the game, and gives unfair light into the orc culture in WoW.

And, again, if you don't like the way the orcs are portrayed in the game, create your own campaigns in the foundry and tell it however you like. That is the beauty of this game.  Luckily for us, the "official" quest line seems to be short, shallow and easily dismissed, (from the first 20 levels I played) allowing for a full range of better created user content to shine (which I saw a lot in the beta)

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Can't wait.  This game is gonna suprise some people!

Surprise them like Champions Online and Star Trek Online did? Definitely not a good thing then.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I have no idea but that pic sure makes it look bad lol.....Also having orcs in the game is always a +1 for me.....