Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars 2 worth buying at the moment?

lionhopperslionhoppers Member UncommonPosts: 16
I'm thinking about getting Gw2 but I'm not sure if I should after reading about hackers and problems with bots? Have the issues with hackers and bots been fixed yet or are there still problems? What is the population like? are the servers and low level areas still busy? I'd just like to get some info before buying the game :)

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by lionhoppers
    I'm thinking about getting Gw2 but I'm not sure if I should after reading about hackers and problems with bots? Have the issues with hackers and bots been fixed yet or are there still problems? What is the population like? are the servers and low level areas still busy? I'd just like to get some info before buying the game :)

There are more hackers and bots in other games. People always complain and exaggerate the issue. I have seen one or 2 bots in a month and they get reported.

GW2 is a B2P game. buy it and try it. The game still has a large following.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I haven't seen any hackers or bots, that may be a problem at higher levels; I couldn't tell you.

What I can tell you is that you should give GW2 a try if you haven't already.  Choose a highly populated server and create your characters there.  It's been my experience that the low level areas are still very populated, especially evenings and weekends. The middle level areas (Level 35+) are not as populated.

I play on Borlis Pass, as a reference, and I don't believe it is even one of the most populated servers.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    hell no! try Tera its better and free
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Every MMO is going to have its fair share of bots and hackers, but ive never found it noticable at all. 

Population seems fine, stick to the Human leveling areas, as their population seems to be the best (you can play another race and just go to the human areas to level).  The way leveling works is you scale down to a level aproximately apropiate for the area you are in, you keep all your skills and traits though.  You can still level up, and the XP rewards from events, hearts and kills scales to aproximately your "real" level, gear drops do too.  It's still optimal to go to apropriately leveled areas, you get more xp, but its still very viable to level in lower areas. 

for $60, you're going to get ALOT more entertainment for your money than you would from your average FPS.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I have more than gotten my $60 worth of enjoyment out of the game so far. I am a severe altoholic, so I have yet to reach 80 on anyone, I pretty much spend all my time bouncing between about 4 characters. I have to say, that this is the first time in a mmo where I don't feel like I am missing out on anything by not having a "main" at the max level. It's a refreshing change of pace.
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

I like TERA but it is not GW2. Once you do one character - why even do any alts in TERA? They all go through the same areas/quests and have to grind the same mobs. Also, the community in the game is severly childish and idiotic. That is the biggest turn off for TERA right now.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by lionhoppers

Always wise to check on things first. Bots and hackers are significantly less in this game than others. You hardly hear of them being an issue. Populations are still high and according to ANet have been slowly increasing over the past 6+ weeks. This game is well worth buying in my opinion. Plus, with no subscription and no pay to win you simply can't go wrong.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I saw more bots in GW1 than I do in GW2. The reason they`re more noticable sometimes in GW2 is because you have the global trading post so everyone sees if they`re deflating prices, not just 1 server. However they haven`t been since the big bot ban in January.

I definitely think it`s more than worth the $60.
  • MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298

Depends what you like in a game. A lot of people enjoy it.  

In terms of polish, aesthetics and general fluff (not in a derogatory sense, I mean the map discovery, jump quests etc) I would say it is one of the best games out there.  

In terms of gameplay, levelling and customization it is mediocre and I found it became very tedious very quickly.   

IMO it is also vastly inferior to GW1.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

The game is worth the price of entry by leaps and bounds.  Just don't expect it to be something to keep you interested for years on end.  Very few games are as polished or have the amount of attention to detail as Guild Wars 2.  From watching grass and bushes rustle as you walk over them, to actually simulating your character's feet on theground in terms of elevation with hills or even steps.

You should do some research on classes and pick one that suits your playstyle.  Elementalists, for example, can have upwards of 50+ skills at their disposal at any time.  Some melee classes are stuck to about 15 and have intricate combos that flow into each other for optimal effect.  Builds are also important and go hand in hand with runes in the armor, sigils in the weapons and the food buffs that you eat (such as food or sigils that steal life on critical hit and you increasing your critical hit to something like 80% to make the most of it or something as an example).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

after eq1,  7 years of wow and some months in rift, eve, warhammer, swtor, i played gw2 for about 3 months. i got bored to death. i liked gw1 much more. i dont say its a bad game but not as good as most expected to be, including me.

now i m paying TERA (as free user) and i can say its way better than gw2.

So, my opinion is that you should try TERA first (nothing to loose as it is free) and if you dont like it try gw2.

Originally posted by papardelios

after eq1,  7 years of wow and some months in rift, eve, warhammer, swtor, i played gw2 for about 3 months. i got bored to death. i liked gw1 much more. i dont say its a bad game but not as good as most expected to be, including me.

now i m paying TERA (as free user) and i can say its way better than gw2.

So, my opinion is that you should try TERA first (nothing to loose as it is free) and if you dont like it try gw2.

As I said - with TERA, once you do one character, all the others are the same. There is no change in starting area for the different Races. The download is huge and tedious compared to GW2 download (it took me 15 hrs to download TERA) 4 hrs to download GW2 (I have the Deluxe Electronic edition). ALso I find the grind in TERA to be ridiculous and also there are people waiting for certain mobs to spawn, it advances the storyline. THe storyline of the game is 2ndary to the grind and gets lost in the grind and hard to follow.

I would say try GW2 first, TERA second.

One cannot compare GW1 and GW2. Even though they are in the same area and lore they are different games. A.Net learned what NOT to do in GW1 and tried to apply it to GW2 - sometimes they suceeded sometimes they did not,

• lionhopperslionhoppers Member UncommonPosts: 16

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

I did try and buy Tera when it got first released and also played beta, I really enjoyed it at the time but it got a bit repetative after a couple of months.

After reading your replies and watching some review videos I think I'll prob. give it a try :D

ty ty

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I don't think GW2 is completely fail game, but it sort of boring after like 3 months of playing (for many people).

I found GW2 has way less content than GW1, so was very disappointed about.

TBH I would rather buy it when more content will be added (if it will be the case) or when game will stabilize in one direction (and not taking new after like every major update, it not much about new content, they add some but not that many, but about game policy concern loot, items etc), when community will be created (not people in and out), also depending of how said community will be.

I mean if you can't be bothered about spend 60$, sure do: BOTs are banned fast, don't know about hackers, seems it's not game but I-net issue, gold sellers are also fast eliminated, so you don't have to worry about, IMO.

If you think you need more value for 60$, then wait till GW2 takes changes or look for anything else coming out.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

I don't think GW2 is completely fail game, but it sort of boring after like 3 months of playing (for many people).I found GW2 has way less content than GW1, so was very disappointed about.TBH I would rather buy it when more content will be added (if it will be the case) or when game will stabilize in one direction (and not taking new after like every major update, it not much about new content, they add some but not that many, but about game policy concern loot, items etc), when community will be created (not people in and out), also depending of how said community will be.I mean if you can't be bothered about spend 60$, sure do: BOTs are banned fast, don't know about hackers, seems it's not game but I-net issue, gold sellers are also fast eliminated, so you don't have to worry about, IMO.If you think you need more value for 60$, then wait till GW2 takes changes or look for anything else coming out.

unless you are counting all gw1 expansions gw2 has vastly more content then gw1..gw2 feature for feature has more content than pretty much any themepark ever launched with..what I see a lot though is people don't like certain aspects of the game so they dismiss that part of the game completely

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by botrytis

I like TERA but it is not GW2. Once you do one character - why even do any alts in TERA? They all go through the same areas/quests and have to grind the same mobs. Also, the community in the game is severly childish and idiotic. That is the biggest turn off for TERA right now.

actually i can't do an alt in GW2... it was boring even while i was lvling my main... i reached lvl 80 in a month and uninstalled ;)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Hackers - any issues were user side. Even though GW2 now offer a few more options like mobile apps to log in.

Bots - have been drastically reduced as one can see with the reduction of number of items being offered in the trading post.

If you like wandering around and are fine with an action oriented combat instead of a static tank-healer-dps system, it is more than worth the box price.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

If you want a world that's alive, try it out.  No matter what zone I go into, I always see "X event is up at X waypoint". I get there and there are quite a few people there.  I had not experienced that in a very long time.

It is still going on like that even after this many months of release.

actually i can't do an alt in GW2... it was boring even while i was lvling my main... i reached lvl 80 in a month and uninstalled ;)

I'm not sure if I admire or laugh at people that play something for like 100 hours while being bored.

Generally a boring game doesn't last 5 minutes in my hard drive.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I'm not sure if I admire or laugh at people that play something for like 100 hours while being bored.

Most poeple expect that for leveling in an mmo, and expect it to change when they get to max level.  So him playing that way it in no way odd.   It is what MMO's have done to us over the years.  Its always "its gets better after # level, you just didn't get to that level to have fun".  

Originally posted by TheYear1500

Most poeple expect that for leveling in an mmo, and expect it to change when they get to max level.  So him playing that way it in no way odd.   It is what MMO's have done to us over the years.  Its always "its gets better after # level, you just didn't get to that level to have fun".  

But it does change, depending on where you start from. In Asuran, Sylvari and Norn you are helping out. In Human and Charr starting areas it is more or less littl battlefields around. Then you get up to Orr which is one big battlefield. They are totally different in feel and they do change.

It seems people keep playing expecting things to morph into something more they want out of a game. If you don't like it in the first hour, you probably won't like the longer you play.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

But it does change, depending on where you start from. In Asuran, Sylvari and Norn you are helping out. In Human and Charr starting areas it is more or less littl battlefields around. Then you get up to Orr which is one big battlefield. They are totally different in feel and they do change.

It seems people keep playing expecting things to morph into something more they want out of a game. If you don't like it in the first hour, you probably won't like the longer you play.

people are so used to the i need to get to x level till the good stuff starts mentallity.. i agree though if GW2 didn't pull you from the first few zones you probably won't care for it overall.. the first time i ran through one of the very large citys it was a sight to behold the game just has an amazing art direction. Classes vary as some I found fun others not so much.. i really don't see the pull people have towards warriors as i find them the most boring class in the game. But once you get 60 and open up your grandmaster traits its nice how many types of builds you can put together on most classes that completely changes how they play.. lots of fun.. messing with builds was one reason i stuck with Rift for so long and although it feels a lot more limited in GW2 after 60 you do really get a lot of options per class in my experience

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Guess that is why the wet dream of MMORPGs "veterans" always have a problem to attract many people.

Having to play for hundreds of hours to reach the good stuff when you are paying to have fun. I've some adjectives for that, none of them nice.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Guess that is why the wet dream of MMORPGs "veterans" always have a problem to attract many people.

Having to play for hundreds of hours to reach the good stuff when you are paying to have fun. I've some adjectives for that, none of them nice.

And when and if you finally reach the good stuff you realize that its just more of the same of old stuff but it takes even longer. All the while paying 15/month+expansions. Thats pretty much summary of "old school" games.

No thanks, been there done that.