Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would happen if a AAA sandbox mmo be released?

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

Archeage is coming. We will have a opportunity to see what will really occur in a actual scenario.

Yes Archeage is coming.  Already here if you play in Korea.  Is it a AAA sandbox? well I am willing to grant you the AAA.  As to the sandbox, well it suits part of the audience for sandbox games .... those that like a gank fest.

A bit harsh? perhaps, but it is certainly not what I would wish to see in a sandbox game. Also how sandboxy is it to have a limited range of pre-designed houses etc to build for which you must obtain standard blueprints?

Why is it not possible for player communities to establish their own "safe zones" guarded by hired NPC's if PvP is going to be so heavily featured?  Why are the punishments for serial ganking almost a reward?

No this one is not for me or for a number of other people looking for a sandbox game.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Archeage is coming. We will have a opportunity to see what will really occur in a actual scenario.

Yes Archeage is coming.  Already here if you play in Korea.  Is it a AAA sandbox? well I am willing to grant you the AAA.  As to the sandbox, well it suits part of the audience for sandbox games .... those that like a gank fest.

A bit harsh? perhaps, but it is certainly not what I would wish to see in a sandbox game. Also how sandboxy is it to have a limited range of pre-designed houses etc to build for which you must obtain standard blueprints?

Why is it not possible for player communities to establish their own "safe zones" guarded by hired NPC's if PvP is going to be so heavily featured?  Why are the punishments for serial ganking almost a reward?

No this one is not for me or for a number of other people looking for a sandbox game.

I am certain you and your vast amount of other people won't be missed.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by waynejr2

While I did not use the word "vast" I tend to agree with you. The only way we will be missed is if the game population declines rapidly due to too much ganking.  Might happen but probably wont.  No we will not be missed, disppointed yes but not missed.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

20 million people outside the U.S. would play it, see AoW.

U.S. will say they don't like the UI and pay 60$ Teso.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Smartest move would be a SandPark. Put the quests and what not in there, but put the sandbox features too. Win/win

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

A theme park wrapped in a sandbox would be ideal but will we ever see one?

Modern players are so used to theme parks they would never accept sandboxes, but the problem is worse than that. MMO's cannot now hold onto players, no matter what you intend to do sandbox or otherwise they will move on.

So I am not sure there would be time for the players in a AAA sandbox to start whining, maybe you would be left with just the sandbox fans which you may see as a good result. But AAA needs big revenue; a small fan base will not give you that.

In some ways this is like trying to sell French cuisine to kids in college, they are going to stick with their burger and fries.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

What does 'AAA' mean?

Come to that, what does 'Sandbox' mean?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Sandbox imo means a game where the majority of the content is player driven.
  • Crazy_LeftyCrazy_Lefty Member Posts: 1

Best sandbox game i've found which i've played for years on and off is Wurm online ( http://www.wurmonline.com/ )

everything is player created, even the land you terraform and the houses that you build are all from hard work of tree cutting, mining and smithing.

its not everyones cup of tea but i'd say the only game i know of that everything is crafted apart from your starter items.

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

I've voted option 2, but in contrary to the vote i do not blame the players.
    In fact today it's all about hype. Hiding facts and real information while offering pre-orders or "founder packs", including NDA and / or Beta access.

If such a "AAA Sandbox" would have been released today it would claim:

* Awesome potential PVP System
    * Mega deep faction system
    * Super No Endgame, Endgame
    * Not Free "free" PVP
    * Highly interactive adventures
    * Best potential story

It would try to lure everyone from PVE Loot centric Raider to FFA PVP Ganker into buying a pre order / founder pack.

And in the end it would troll on everyone offering nothing - something for everyone. (ignoring the fact that FFA PVP does not go well with PVE Endgame (instance) raiding). If you try to please everyone, you are going to dissappoint everyone.

The thing today is, everything is full of lies and developer (publisher) are all about the big initial rush. Just look at the answers on direct questions from developers. None is honest.

They don't tell you, they will have a generic quest fetch grind system (even in an sandbox). It will be the "Highly interactive adventures". The term sandbox is even disputed and not clear in itself.

One of the reasons i'm a huge fan of CCP (EVE) and Star Citizen is, they don't lie. They don't try to lure everyone for a "box" sell, claiming game features that do no work with fundamental different player preferences.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

Why hasn't anyone mentioned EQ next yet? ITs claimed to be an AAA sandbox, and amusingly, few of you guys have already made accurate statements.

The Studio:

- "We're leaning towards sandbox"

Answers from MMORPG.com forum:

- "That carebear piece of shit hasn't even seen a sandbox"

- "It won't be sandbox"

- "Lol how is PvE sandbox?"

-"Vaporware!"

- "I hope it isn't sandbox but focuses on PvP"

- "I hope it isn't a sandbox but a PvE game"

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Crafts there was a review floating around by a level 50 guy from the Korean servers. Basically the house stuff is not WIP but the northern continent where you could establish communities protected by either NPCs or your own people is WIP, sieges are gonna be put in shortly for fortress control within the 4-5 areas available and once that's in I doubt the guilds which hold the fortresses won't expand to create communities of people around the fortress to support the upkeep and help with the defense and upkeep and by what I understood from the review there's a reason to have player run merchant ships running around as you can do smuggling which rewards you with a nice amount of money (think XP too) depending on risk but you have to sail in open sea and there be pirates out there, some guilds have gotten into the habit of running convoys of armed merchant ships for protection and I can only imagine it's a matter of time before we see pirate wolf packs designed to attack convoys. The sandbox elements are still getting put in so don't despair yet Crafts, by the time AA makes its western launch there might be allot more sand in the box :).

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Just because its a AAA title does not mean it going to be a good game even if its a sandbox..

There has not been a really good AAA mmorpg released for a very long time.. so if the big companies cant get themeparks right what makes you think they can get a sandbox right..

Now im hopnig EqNext will be good but we have no information about it at all.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Neherun

Why hasn't anyone mentioned EQ next yet? ITs claimed to be an AAA sandbox, and amusingly, few of you guys have already made accurate statements.

The Studio:

- "It won't be sandbox"

-"Vaporware!"

Another day on the nonstop carousel that is mmorpg.com.

But we've seen cynical skeptic upthread already, many times.

Anyone want to do a positive spin, just to be different? One that isn't a clever advertisement for a specific title?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Crazy_Lefty

Best sandbox game i've found which i've played for years on and off is Wurm online ( http://www.wurmonline.com/ )

everything is player created, even the land you terraform and the houses that you build are all from hard work of tree cutting, mining and smithing.

its not everyones cup of tea but i'd say the only game i know of that everything is crafted apart from your starter items.

The Universe Project might be basically a better version of Wurm Online (even the starter items will be crafted by you) if it turns out it isn't vapourware. I had my brother who's a java engineer look into it and he says it's possible but to his knowledge it would take allot of work to do what they say. Either way you can take a look here:

http://strt.cc/?ref=c2lsdmVyMV9Xb2xmMkB5YWhvby5jb20_ - my referal link (if you'd like of course if not I'll put a non-referal link below)

http://startonate.appspot.com/ - non-referal link.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Onomas
    I could finaly ignore all the Konsole Kiddies trying to destroy my mmo experience with their single player linear brain functions.

It to bad someone has to hold your hand or should i say to "Help" you with your quest...Cant run with the Big dogs stay on the porch there pup..image

I retired retroactively..Haha

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Neherun

The Studio:

- "It won't be sandbox"

-"Vaporware!"

Another day on the nonstop carousel that is mmorpg.com.

But we've seen cynical skeptic upthread already, many times.

Anyone want to do a positive spin, just to be different? One that isn't a clever advertisement for a specific title?

Well, I wrote about EQN on the rumor room when they hadn't announced the Sandbox twist yet, that thread burnt.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Malcanis

What does 'AAA' mean?

Absolutely Amazingly Awesome.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    we'll see what will happen when EQNext releases...
  • BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    People would impulse buy it thinking it was a PvE crafters heaven, totally ignoring warnings that the game has open PvP. Log in, get killed a few times by mobs while leveling skills. Get killed by another player then spend the next 6 months whining on the forums about how the developers need to change things or they will get all their friends and guild to quit and swear the game doesn't need PvP.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    It would faily withing half a year because it would not be everything to everybody in the loud crowd of gamers that want a sandbox.
  • TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Briansho
    People would impulse buy it thinking it was a PvE crafters heaven, totally ignoring warnings that the game has open PvP. Log in, get killed a few times by mobs while leveling skills. Get killed by another player then spend the next 6 months whining on the forums about how the developers need to change things or they will get all their friends and guild to quit and sweat the game doesn't need PvP.

Yeah.  I got burned by that one too many times.  Some of it was my fault for not understanding what non-consentual PvP really entails.  Other times I got sold on the game due to deceptive marketing by the compay that tried to sell a non-consentual PvP system as consentual PvP.  These days if a game has  non-consentual PvP in it, I do not consider it a 'real sandbox' and move on.

• infiniti70infiniti70 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I doubt an AAA sanbox will ever be made until a good AAA hybid comes out. Any AAA game needs population to recoup development cost and right now, there is just not the demand out there. Most gamers have been introduced tio MMO by the themepark model, drop them in a full sandbox and they get frustrated and scared.

EQN may be the bridge needed to see a AAA sandbox. It at least has the fan base to go in and try new things (as they use EQ2 to introduce them). But until a larger niche develops for Sandbox, I just do not see a publisher taking the risk.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by infiniti70

I doubt an AAA sanbox will ever be made until a good AAA hybid comes out. Any AAA game needs population to recoup development cost and right now, there is just not the demand out there. Most gamers have been introduced tio MMO by the themepark model, drop them in a full sandbox and they get frustrated and scared.

EQN may be the bridge needed to see a AAA sandbox. It at least has the fan base to go in and try new things (as they use EQ2 to introduce them). But until a larger niche develops for Sandbox, I just do not see a publisher taking the risk.

Archeage is a big-budget mmo that will be published by Trion (the same publisher of Rift).

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I want a sandpark.  A game that offers a variety of game mechanisms and styles, a hybrid if you will.  This is my hope for EverQuest Next.  It's sounding very much like a sandpark with an emphasis on the sandbox.