Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We should have to whistle for our mounts.

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I know that this isn't the biggest thing to talk about and how most probably don't even think about it, but...we should have to whistle for our mounts.

At the moment, if you want ride a mount, you simply click your hotkey and the horse instantly materializes in front of you. Instead, our characters should finger-whiste or call for our mounts. Our mounts should then run to us from off-screen (much like Epona from Zelda 64). See here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36U6o4hDrzA

This is my gripe for the day.

Laterzzzzz lololol

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    You mean like in Red Dead Redemption? I wish Rockstar would make an MMO out of it, that would be something I'd play. A Wild West MMO.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by FromHell
    You mean like in Red Dead Redemption? I wish Rockstar would make an MMO out of it, that would be something I'd play. A Wild West MMO.
    The online multiplayer mode in Red Dead Redemption is better than just about every actual mmorpg released in the past couple years.
  • ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

So does every mount respond to a whistle?

I mean, not every biological mount in MMORPGs is a horse.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I think more MMO's should do it like Fallen Earth, horses aren't summoned, you have to stable them when done, and if you have one out, you have to leave it parked nearby.  There's even a good chance of the NPC's around it aggroing and killing it, which then required you to resurrect it.  Even was the same for the mechanical vehicles, NPC's would attack your buggy if you weren't careful.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Age of Wushu does this.  The icon is a whistle (I think).

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by FromHell You mean like in Red Dead Redemption? I wish Rockstar would make an MMO out of it, that would be something I'd play. A Wild West MMO.
    The online multiplayer mode in Red Dead Redemption is better than just about every actual mmorpg released in the past couple years.  
    Hi Foo.  Glad to see you're around.  I haven't seen posts lately.  Sorry for the derail, just saying hi!

Hey Tor :)

Been gaming so much lately, haven't really been around here much heh

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I think more MMO's should do it like Fallen Earth, horses aren't summoned, you have to stable them when done, and if you have one out, you have to leave it parked nearby.  There's even a good chance of the NPC's around it aggroing and killing it, which then required you to resurrect it.  Even was the same for the mechanical vehicles, NPC's would attack your buggy if you weren't careful.

Permadeath for mounts would be ok for me.  FE did a good job too.  The summoning ala wow, well, I don't like it so much.  Let people steal each others horses or let them get killed in an epic charge of lancers.  How about horse archers? Cool!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Much like UO. I like systems like that.

I find it interesting that the OP has issue with pocket mounts 'materializing from nowhere' but doesn't find it equally absurd to have it suddenly coming running to him when he whistles for it from whatever god-forsaken part of the world he happens to be in at the time.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Permadeath for mounts would be ok for me.  FE did a good job too.  The summoning ala wow, well, I don't like it so much.  Let people steal each others horses or let them get killed in an epic charge of lancers.  How about horse archers? Cool!

That's because horse archers are so imbalanced both in games and in real life too. Khergits win all horsemaps in Mount & Blade, Huns are one of the toughest armies to beat in the Total War series and Genghis Khan founded the largest empire ever. Cities payed protection money so they wouldn't be attacked.

But I don't want mounts if its only a speed boost. If there is no mounted combat, I'd rather have the devs ditch the whole mounts thing and focus on something more important.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Age of Conan has something like that. Mounting up isn't instant, instead your mount materializes behind you (off camera), runs to where you are, and your character mounts up. Dismounting is a process just as long, and your mount runs away after you do.

This is how it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqwPKy_t-Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=25s

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    There's a lot of things that coudl be done with mounts, I hate how they're literally just speed buffs. image
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I'll throw in my pet idea and suggest.....

how about removing the beyond fantastical belief that you could carry ten back packs, fill them with heavy weapons, gems, precious stone, etc. - weightlessly.....and continue fighting, etc.

and replacing it with:

Pack mules.

So as you travel, you ride your mount and lead a pack animal behind you, which carries your loot. When arriving at a destination like a dungeon or something, you 'tie up' your mule to a tree; pop a magical protection barrier; You can carry one personal backpack, which could accomodate average loot; 

But i like the idea of reintroducing encumberance too.....remember having to have str to wear armor? Remember copper coins weighing you down in EQ to the point of immobilization?

Any way, a rough idea, but you get the picture.