Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If a purely player-driven MMO were to come out, would you play it?

Comments

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

Sorry for the late reply (im at work)

Your analogy is incorrect only because 100% of the time touching a hot stove will result in a burn. However a better anology would be if you were being bullied in school your whole freshman year whenever you walked down the Main hall. You changed schools however you still avoid the Main Hall because every school has bullies and the Main hall is always crowded with people you figure one of them is bound to be a bully.

Fact there will always be greifers in every game. To say from your "experience" you know that this is going to happen to you is admitting defeat. I actually play games similiar to this and I can say I havent experienced the worst there is. The OP just stated that you could build whatever you want (there has never been an MMO where you could build whatever you want)... I saw the OP post and thought "the possibilities" others saw "Im going to die and my building will be razed". So if one wanted to build something that would prevent the worst possible, one could.

Quick question ... what games did you get your experience from... just curious.

The question is why should one waste their time when there is a chance ... even a small one ... that there will be griefing.

Using your analogy, why should i choose a school with a chance of some bullies, when there are plenty of schools when bullying is not possible because the rule of physics is changed so that none of them can touch you in the main hall?

All schools have bullies verbal, cyber and physical ... when there is a will theres a way.

This is a "school" where you can learn & train to be anything... why would you let bullies get in the way of your future?

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Conversations with my mother and dinner with my GF often work this way.

So far I hate squash, every single time I've had it, no matter what kind or how it's prepared, it tastes awfull.  There is always the chance that someone will make a squash that tastes good. However I'm looking at very skeptical.

My mother often wants me to review some new exercise plan or supplement she's taking or some new age treatment she is doing.  The majority of the time it is all hype and garbage, it's gotten to the point now where every time she wants me to I say no.  She says why:

The answer, there is only so much time during the day to do things including researching new products.  I'm not going to waste my time looking at some half-baked idea whose foundation is not only unproven but violates the things we allready know to be true.  So unless there is a whole lot of research available behind it that she can allready point to, there are more constructive things I can do with that time.  There is many more things to learn and know.

Same with this.  I've met enough jerks in my gaming days, I know what I like and what I don't like.  In my 13 years I don't think the overall community has gotten better, more players and bigger games IMO typically make the overall community worse.  A game that lets other players grief, or rewards them by giving them their loot means that the game will have enough griefers to make the game unenjoyable for me, regardless of what else it offers.  There are other games on the market that do offer most of what I'm looking for.  So it may not be 100% positive that the game will be a griefing, gank whore paradise, but unless there is something else that controls it, I would avoid it until it shows itself to be that something else.

The purpsoe of the game is entertainment, if there is too much griefing it fails to live up to that premise.

Don't compare this to real life.  Yes there are always bullies.  However if I'm going to a school, regardless of the bully, the purpose is to learn something, I will leave the school when that purpose is no longer being met.  Same with the game.  If it isn't entertaining me, it is not serving it's purpose.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Purely player-driven MMO... what would you call it? "Gimme your lunch money"?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    If this MMO where sitting right next to a typical w/ slight variations themepark I would absolutely give it a try. I would probably have to join a very capable guild within the first week like in DFO. Whether I would stay and for how long would be circumstatial.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Your analogy is incorrect only because 100% of the time touching a hot stove will result in a burn. However a better anology would be if you were being bullied in school your whole freshman year whenever you walked down the Main hall. You changed schools however you still avoid the Main Hall because every school has bullies and the Main hall is always crowded with people you figure one of them is bound to be a bully.

We've already established that things like history are not anything you're concerned with, so I won't bother with that kind of silliness, but I do find this interesting:

"fear" "defeat" "bullies"

You keep shifting the argument in that direction, despite several making it clear those are not the issue. I think the bigger question here is what happened in your past experiences that you are projecting this view onto others. You seem unable to accept past, fact, history or any rational explanation, continually reverting back to this fear and bullying thing.

Why is that?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

We've already established that things like history are not anything you're concerned with, so I won't bother with that kind of silliness, but I do find this interesting:

You keep shifting the argument in that direction, despite several making it clear those are not the issue. I think the bigger question here is what happened in your past experiences that you are projecting this view onto others. You seem unable to accept past, fact, history or any rational explanation, continually reverting back to this fear and bullying thing.

Why is that?

Mr. Sunsoar had a legitimate claim given his experience with darkfall etc.. however he does not speak for the other 90% that wrote off the game that had no such experience. My gaming history is quite extensive and my overall expereince been great obviously if dont mind playing with the possibility of being killed/razed (permenantly) for that matter. Im completely open to any game no matter how carebarish or hardcore it is because I will find a way to have fun and be successful.

I was just hoping others thought the same about themselves.

Zod out

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Why is that?

Mr. Sunsoar had a legitimate claim given his experience with darkfall etc.. however he does not speak for the other 90% that wrote off the game that had no such experience. My gaming history is quite extensive and my overall expereince been great obviously if dont mind playing with the possibility of being killed/razed (permenantly) for that matter. Im completely open to any game no matter how carebarish or hardcore it is because I will find a way to have fun and be successful.

I was just hoping others thought the same about themselves.

Zod out

Yes we can find a way to have fun in any game. That is possible.

However why would I want to go through all the work and effort needed to have in a game where others are deliberately trying to interfere with me when I can have just as much, if not more, in a game where they are not trying to do that.

*boggle*

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    That would be the end of MMO era, then back to single player.
  • WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

The thread title of "If a purely player-driven MMO were to come out, would you play it?" is kind of amusing, OP.  Because when MMORPGs came out, they were player-driven.

*Waves to original UO*

EVE is the only one that comes to mind as the most player-driven title of the famed names out there in today's MMORPGs, and even then, it was a 2003-2004-ish release and is considered "Old School."

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Back in Phantasy Star Online for the gamecube (even moreso than the DC) hackers had complete control over the game and it´s content to the point they could add and take away quests, and they could even ban or delevel people´s characters for the lulz.

This created several, unnamed "factions" where people hurdled themselves into specific "safe zones" or around a few decent hackers that prevented this from happening around themselves.

It also made it so that you words and actions mattered a lot since a rage moment to the wrong person could cost you the character or even your account.

And back then there was no such thing as "Staff" or "customer support" xD

It was an unique experience.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by znaiika
    That would be the end of MMO era, then back to single player.

Today's MMORPGs *are* SPRPGs.  They just require you to be constantly online to play it.

Look at all the compaining about an MMO title that promotes grouping.

Look at all the complaining of any obstacles to solo-friendliness.

Look at all the complaining about the idea of getting past "soul-binding" and such to get other people involved with gear you find.  It's like the developers hate the idea of players sharing stuff, and you MMORPG people bought off on it. [I no longer count myself in the crowd.  Stopped the shenanigans in 2009, but do keep tabs on what the genre is up to.  Maybe MMORPGs will be about... "Multiplayer" again.  Who knows?]

Look at all the complaining just on the idea of expanding an MMO title to other things outside of combat.  Even talk about spicing up game economies is met by hostile fire.

This is just some of the stuff, and all coming from today's "Massive Multiplayer Online*" Role Playing crowd.

A purely player-driven MMORPG wouldn't mean bringing the genre back to single player.  Looking at the traits of modern MMORPGs, they already essentially are SPRPGs that require an online connection.

* = I use the term very loosely.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Back in Phantasy Star Online for the gamecube (even moreso than the DC) hackers had complete control over the game and it´s content to the point they could add and take away quests, and they could even ban or delevel people´s characters for the lulz.

This created several, unnamed "factions" where people hurdled themselves into specific "safe zones" or around a few decent hackers that prevented this from happening around themselves.

It also made it so that you words and actions mattered a lot since a rage moment to the wrong person could cost you the character or even your account.

And back then there was no such thing as "Staff" or "customer support" xD

It was an unique experience.

Is there an article on that somewhere? If not, could you write a post or blog here about PSO back then and the stuff you describe? That is some genuinely interesting gaming history.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Neverdyne

The world would be completely player-driven. Think of a world where "nature" elements are there, but anything "man-made" is done by players. Players can kill whoever they want, they can loot whatever they want from others, etc. Character progression would be in the form of skill trees similar to SWG; you choose to be whatever you want. There would be no pre-made cities, or factions, etc. Instead players can build whatever they want similar to Minecraft or Rift Dimensions (but nothing would be instanced). Buildings can be destroyed by player attacks. Crafters would need to compete to get the best resources (again, similar to SWG). Would you play such a game?  A box full of sand and a few shovels, but nothing else? I've always been curious about how such a game would be received.

I have always wondered why sandbox mmo ideas always seem to incorporate a ton of built-in griefing systems. Your idea is neat, but it would wind up being a completely niche game, and probably not very well made (if history was an indicator of the future). On the flip side, if a game of this nature operated more like Minecraft, where you could completely separate yourself from any and all griefers (unless you chose to play on an open pvp style server), I could see the game doing very well.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Fact there will always be greifers in every game. To say from your "experience" you know that this is going to happen to you is admitting defeat. I actually play games similiar to this and I can say I havent experienced the worst there is. The OP just stated that you could build whatever you want (there has never been an MMO where you could build whatever you want)... I saw the OP post and thought "the possibilities" others saw "Im going to die and my building will be razed". So if one wanted to build something that would prevent the worst possible, one could.

Quick question ... what games did you get your experience from... just curious.

The question is why should one waste their time when there is a chance ... even a small one ... that there will be griefing.

Using your analogy, why should i choose a school with a chance of some bullies, when there are plenty of schools when bullying is not possible because the rule of physics is changed so that none of them can touch you in the main hall?

All schools have bullies verbal, cyber and physical ... when there is a will theres a way.

This is a "school" where you can learn & train to be anything... why would you let bullies get in the way of your future?

We are talking about MMOs here ... school is just an analogy.

And it is possible to avoid griefing in a random PUG instanced dungeon, since you can just quit and join another one.

And you are right, i would not let bully get in my way of my entertainment, simply by playing games where they cannot affect me. That is the point.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Nope, sounds like a mess!
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I would play a game like this. Would be fun to see how it developed over time.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Bosian
    Just give me back pre-cu SWG and I would be happy :)

You can play SWG pre cu now if you want to. ;-)

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No rather have a mmo built by professionals. Judging by all the whining in general, this doesn't always turn out for the best for the gamers.

Would you drive a car built by drivers rather than engineers?

Would you want an alcoholic running your local?

Would you want someone who's been in hospital a lot performing surgery on you?

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

Let me think about this...

Completely player run MMOs.

-Face of Mankind

-Neocron2

-SWG Pre-CU

-Wurm Online

-Xsyon

-Mortal Online

-Darkfall

Those are just a few that I can think of that I have played or currently play.   They are all completely player run with little or no Development control over the playerbase.    I know Mortal Online just turned into a ganker and griefer haven so that pretty much sucked.    Wurm and Xsyon have such small playerbases that it is realively easy to let the players run the gameworld.   And FOM and DFO just were based around combat and thats pretty much it.   Neocron2 is great but is very dated at this point and has a small population. 

So much crap, so little quality.

• saohcsaohc Member Posts: 41
    Its already been done before as shown in the post above, but I feel there should be more. Good luck
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Hodo

Let me think about this...

Completely player run MMOs.

-Face of Mankind

-Neocron2

-SWG Pre-CU

-Wurm Online

-Xsyon

-Mortal Online

-Darkfall

Those are just a few that I can think of that I have played or currently play.   They are all completely player run with little or no Development control over the playerbase.    I know Mortal Online just turned into a ganker and griefer haven so that pretty much sucked.    Wurm and Xsyon have such small playerbases that it is realively easy to let the players run the gameworld.   And FOM and DFO just were based around combat and thats pretty much it.   Neocron2 is great but is very dated at this point and has a small population. 

None of em are completely player run because you still have standing structures at the begining (NPC stuff). If you want a total sandbox your only hope is http://strt.cc/?ref=c2lsdmVyMV9Xb2xmMkB5YWhvby5jb20_ if it ever gets off the ground.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    no. what you described is an elitest kids ego heaven.

no sandbox world should be ppen pvp. not even eve online is open pvp

now make pvp a zoned area like that of war or limit the pvp strictly to guild v guild and bring out mechanics to augment diplomacy and alliances like eve then yes i would play it

no to full loot too. another elitest ego mechanic.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I would not.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Neverdyne

The world would be completely player-driven. Think of a world where "nature" elements are there, but anything "man-made" is done by players. Players can kill whoever they want, they can loot whatever they want from others, etc. Character progression would be in the form of skill trees similar to SWG; you choose to be whatever you want. There would be no pre-made cities, or factions, etc. Instead players can build whatever they want similar to Minecraft or Rift Dimensions (but nothing would be instanced). Buildings can be destroyed by player attacks. Crafters would need to compete to get the best resources (again, similar to SWG). Would you play such a game?  A box full of sand and a few shovels, but nothing else? I've always been curious about how such a game would be received.

Very, but really very, unlikely. There are so few great games with great quests composed by best minds in gaming industry. I doubt among players, even if numbers are big, are so many geniouses. :-))