Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WildStar be the next Big MMO?

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by mikuniman
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    I thought this was geared towards children.

You haven't watched the trailers.  The tone is actually pretty suggestive at times.  South Park is a cartoon too but that doesn't make it for kids.

I have, thought the dialog had like the shrek undertone type yeah. still it feels like a cartoon to me.

A lot of people said this about WoW before it released, look where the game is now.  That kind of stylized cartoony art allows them to make the game playable on very low end PC's.  On top of that it ages really well, even after 8-9 years WoW still looks graphically decent. (not great, but not as bad as say AC or Vanguard)

They've explained why they went this way.  It's 100% intentional for the reasons you mentioned, not only but also because 'traditional' animation allows for more expression in movements.  It makes the game world and characters feel more alive.  It' doesnt' take much more than a glance at the gameplay trailers to see why the chose this route.  Games that go for real end up looking like pretty plastic.  Good for screenshots, not so good for movement and action.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by funcon
    It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

If I got a penny for every time I heard that the WoW players will move on to this and that title. WoW is almost a decade old MMO now so they will start to slowly move away from it. But to WildStar? Doubt it. Haven't seen anything in this game that is so much better than GW 2, SW:TOR or any other triple A MMO out there.

That does not mean I think those games are so good just that Wildstar does not seem to be either.

From what I've seen, the folks that are starting to buy into this game seem to be from all over.  I've met quite a few disgruntaled SWTOR folks but that's not the only game I'm seeing them coming from.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Yes.  Predicting this now.  WoW Raiding + Blend of WoW and GW2 Combat + 50% of development effort going to endgame content + tons of freedom = Wildstar.

I wonder how people still think a slightly different mashup of old concepts can ever become the next "big thing"...

Worked for WoW and COD.

Innovative games are rarely the ones that achieve mainstream success. Its the games that come afterwards and polish the existing ideas. WoW was a dumbed down and polished version of Everquest, and look at how popular that became.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

How does a game thats still in development do things like WOW but better?

confused.  Slow down the Hype train.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

How does a game thats still in development do things like WOW but better?

confused.  Slow down the Hype train.

Good call.  It's too easy to fill in all the blanks with our own imaginary awesome.  Hopefully the game pulls of what it's going for anyways.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I must be out of the loop since I've never heard of it.  But since it's like WoW then I'm not missing anything.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by ragz45
    I thought this was geared towards children.

You haven't watched the trailers.  The tone is actually pretty suggestive at times.  South Park is a cartoon too but that doesn't make it for kids.

I have, thought the dialog had like the shrek undertone type yeah. still it feels like a cartoon to me.

A lot of people said this about WoW before it released, look where the game is now.  That kind of stylized cartoony art allows them to make the game playable on very low end PC's.  On top of that it ages really well, even after 8-9 years WoW still looks graphically decent. (not great, but not as bad as say AC or Vanguard)

They've explained why they went this way.  It's 100% intentional for the reasons you mentioned, not only but also because 'traditional' animation allows for more expression in movements.  It makes the game world and characters feel more alive.  It' doesnt' take much more than a glance at the gameplay trailers to see why the chose this route.  Games that go for real end up looking like pretty plastic.  Good for screenshots, not so good for movement and action.

This is true and there’s a lot of cartoon stylized mmos out there and I understand why. My point was that its theme and gameplay seemed like a cartoon, especially the Jessica Rabbit bunny race. The dead giveaway is those cartoon huge eyes and silly dialog. I have nothing against that I just think it has more of a children appeal. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by dave6660

I must be out of the loop since I've never heard of it.  But since it's like WoW then I'm not missing anything.

i dunno hard ot say what it's "like" sort of early for that combat is action oriented.. anyways this trailer is great imho shows the humor of the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Zay7Rr1uE

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I haven't heard a single thing about this game that makes it sound any more interesting than any other themepark from last year.  Their big push for social features is to make it easy to connect to social media.  Yes, because so many people on my Facebook friends list give a rip about a cartoony video game.

I personally don't like the art style of it at all, and with so many other interesting offerings coming down the road, this one isn't really all that intriguing. I'll check in on it once in a while, because I do with pretty much all the MMORPGs in development.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    I really hope so...

I cannot wait for a day when all the WoW'tards have a new home and stop trying to ruin all the adult mmo's being developed.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Yes.  Predicting this now.  WoW Raiding + Blend of WoW and GW2 Combat + 50% of development effort going to endgame content + tons of freedom = Wildstar.

I wonder how people still think a slightly different mashup of old concepts can ever become the next "big thing"...

If a requirement for a successful MMO is to somehow re-invent the genre then we must think pretty low of MMORPG's.  

No, I'm just sick of cartoon look MMO themeparks with cuddly elements, which instantly remind me of WoW/GW2/Tera and the like. I don't play any of this PEGI 12 rated stuff.

Obviously M rated realistic looking, gritty MMOs are niche and haven't gone mainstream.

Whatever  the "next big thing" is, I doubt it will be another cartoony themepark, simply because the market is already flooded with this stuff.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

If a requirement for a successful MMO is to somehow re-invent the genre then we must think pretty low of MMORPG's.  

No, I'm just sick of cartoon look MMO themeparks with cuddly elements, which instantly remind me of WoW/GW2/Tera and the like.

Obviously M rated realistic looking MMOs are niche and haven't gone mainstream.

Whatever  the "next big thing" is, I doubt it will be another cartoony themepark, simply because the market is already flooded with this stuff.

Who knows, you might be right.  I'm normally not interested in mainstream games like this.  There is more than meets the eye with this one.  I guess I have a hunch, and I haven't been wrong yet.  I guess there's a first time for everything :P

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

No, I'm just sick of cartoon look MMO themeparks with cuddly elements, which instantly remind me of WoW/GW2/Tera and the like.

Who knows, you might be right.  I'm normally not interested in mainstream games like this.  There is more than meets the eye with this one.  I guess I have a hunch, and I haven't been wrong yet.  I guess there's a first time for everything :P

Well, at least from what I've seen it looks like a quality product. Maybe a nice title for younger audiences.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Well, at least from what I've seen it looks like a quality product. Maybe a nice title for younger audiences.

I'm 39 so THANK YOU FOR CALLING ME YOUNG! I feel amazing, I'm drinkin and extra glass of prune juice to celebrate!

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Nah. Can't get excited for trinity and instanced raid content as my end-game.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Yes, yes and YES . I absolutley cannot wait for this game!

It's up there on my list with TESO, Neverwinter and Archeage :)

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

Can I ask a few questions?

1. Will the world be seamless like WoW, or will there be a gazillion loading screens like SWTOR?

(In WoW you can explore so much land and zones and entire continents without a single loading screen. Will WS be like this?)

2. Will housing be instanced like LOTRO?

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Incoming hype train... I'll hold my breath until I have access to a free trial of some sort.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Couple things....

This is NC's next big "flagship".....and well as a long time City player.....booooooooo booooooo to you NC, may not play it because I don't feel you were totaly honest when you shut down my beloved Paragon City...boooooooo again.

Also, GET OFF TRACKS, HERE COMES THE HYPETRAIN....boooooo to that as well.

Thanks for readin' my noise.

Originally posted by Four0Six

Couple things....

This is NC's next big "flagship".....and well as a long time City player.....booooooooo booooooo to you NC, may not play it because I don't feel you were totaly honest when you shut down my beloved Paragon City...boooooooo again.

Also, GET OFF TRACKS, HERE COMES THE HYPETRAIN....boooooo to that as well.

Thanks for readin' my noise.

It's hard to relate, but if it's any consolation Jeremy Gaffney (Wildstar Game Director) was an executive producer on CoH when it first came out.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think it will be the new rift. A polished game that wow players play when bored of wow.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Drolkin
    Incoming hype train... I'll hold my breath until I have access to a free trial of some sort.

Mostly.

What of the game has actually been shown? Very little.

Devs promise a lot, but then when devs didnt promise a lot. there are legendary stories based on "devs promises" ;P

So "wait till its released and see type of game it is and what they actually delivered" game for me.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    There isnt going to be a "next big thing" like WoW was, I do hope its able to hold it's own and does well, it looks real interesting.
  • Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    nah. it isn't going to grab a mass audience simply for the fact that it's not in the mass consciousness. still. should be a good game nonetheless. except for the idiotic level of telegraphing. that makes no darn sense.

You know what the difference between telegraphing and not telegraphing is? Without it only those "in the know" (aka, "have run the content 100 tiems before so don't bug me, noob") know and with it, new players also know when to get out of the way... I know, I know, it ain't hardcore enough... doesn't bother me in the least.

The telegraphing argument is dumb. What did Carbine do: Implement visual boss mods. They like to control the feature rather than have people wait on the mod's team to make it. I'm fairly, pretty damn certain most hardcore raiding guilds in WoW use a boss mod. There is simply no reason not to. It is only a slightly bigger challenge (from 0 knowledge to muscle memory) that no one really cares about.

EDIT: It's late, didn't read dates properly, sorry for the necro.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I'm expecting it to be more along the lines of the next Rift, rather than the next WoW.