Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WildStar be the next Big MMO?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Yes.  Predicting this now.  WoW Raiding + Blend of WoW and GW2 Combat + 50% of development effort going to endgame content + tons of freedom = Wildstar.

Oh, and seamless zones, player combat, fluid movement and controls, alive characters and environments and all by a developmetn team, when formed in 2007 were called a who's who of developers (including 17 ex WoW devs).  

Carbine was silent form 2007 through 2011.  They were working hard, and we've only seen the beginning of what they're going to be showing off.  

Stay tuned.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

My three games this year are HOPEFULLY going to be GW2, TESO, and Wildstar.

I'm just waiting to see the payment model, though.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Yes.  Predicting this now.  WoW Raiding + Blend of WoW and GW2 Combat + 50% of development effort going to endgame content + tons of freedom = Wildstar.

I wonder how people still think a slightly different mashup of old concepts can ever become the next "big thing"...

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

does looks like it will be a very fun game.. love the Exiles trailer and the others are good as well.. devs seem to have a very good sense of humor

this on top of several others coming this year look to be some great MMOs can't wait:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I've enjoyed the promotional videos they've released very much. They've aroused my curiosity for sure. But whatever you do, don't under any circumstances start promoting it as "the next WOW" or "the WOW killa"...just don't.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by FromHell

I wonder how people still think a slightly different mashup of old concepts can ever become the next "big thing"...

If a requirement for a successful MMO is to somehow re-invent the genre then we must think pretty low of MMORPG's.  Nobody has put together the pieces that Wildstar has.  The majority of innovation in MMO's have segregated and solo'fied games.  Not happening with Wildstar.

Don't get me wrong - if they implement this stuff poorly, then the game will flop.  Very few have actually played it so until I get my hands on it, I can only go by what they've stated and the few folks that have played it have said.  Gazimoff at ZAM had some very positive things to say.  That's the kind of stuff we have to go on so far.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    nah. it isn't going to grab a mass audience simply for the fact that it's not in the mass consciousness. still. should be a good game nonetheless. except for the idiotic level of telegraphing. that makes no darn sense.
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    nah. it isn't going to grab a mass audience simply for the fact that it's not in the mass consciousness. still. should be a good game nonetheless. except for the idiotic level of telegraphing. that makes no darn sense.

Most MMO's have some form of telegraphing (even Tera's monsters have a 'tick' of some kind before they strike).  Let's see how they make it work in raids before we pass judgment.  If the floor looks like a friggin disco dance floor, then I'll agree with you.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Robokapp

there aren't any more big mmo's to come.

that era's gone.

I actually believe that is true.

But it seems to be taboo in the MMO community :-)

I believe the initial effect that made the genre so popular in such a short time is gone now.

You know what the difference between telegraphing and not telegraphing is? Without it only those "in the know" (aka, "have run the content 100 tiems before so don't bug me, noob") know and with it, new players also know when to get out of the way... I know, I know, it ain't hardcore enough... doesn't bother me in the least.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

You know what the difference between telegraphing and not telegraphing is? Without it only those "in the know" (aka, "have run the content 100 tiems before so don't bug me, noob") know and with it, new players also know when to get out of the way... I know, I know, it ain't hardcore enough... doesn't bother me in the least.

The telegraphing is fine, people just nitpick at how it's implemented.  Most, if not all mmo's have some form of clue when and where an enemy will attack.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I thought this was geared towards children.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I havn't been following this game hardly at all so I don't know if this info is out already or not, but I think its success will henge a lot (not fully) on its payment model alone.  If they try the old fashioned $15 a month, then I'm thinking it will loose a lot of potential players thus not being that "big".

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by mikuniman

You haven't watched the trailers.  The tone is actually pretty suggestive at times.  South Park is a cartoon too but that doesn't make it for kids.

lack of popular IP and cartoony graphics will probably hurt initial sales/interest.. but if word of mouth and game reviews are good it probably will do very well 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I think this could easily be the next big mmo. Don't know that it will over take wow nor do I care. From what I have seen of it though, I will definately give it a shot, I think it's going to come down to community. If my friends want to play, then I will join them.

It's not a comic book dude, it's a graphic novel... a graphic novel I tell ya!

Don't be misled by the artwork and humorous tone. There's a real MMO here.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    lack of popular IP and cartoony graphics will probably hurt initial sales/interest.. but if word of mouth and game reviews are good it probably will do very well 

Things are starting to stir a bit and suddenly there is an upsurge of people joining the community.  Carbine just had a bunch of fans (not press, fans) into the studio to offer feedback on several game mechanics.  They want to get this stuff right before they start the media blitz.  But, the media blitz has barely started.   Outside of a few trailers, we havne't been shown much yet.

You haven't watched the trailers.  The tone is actually pretty suggestive at times.  South Park is a cartoon too but that doesn't make it for kids.

I have, thought the dialog had like the shrek undertone type yeah. still it feels like a cartoon to me.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Things are starting to stir a bit and suddenly there is an upsurge of people joining the community.  Carbine just had a bunch of fans (not press, fans) into the studio to offer feedback on several game mechanics.  They want to get this stuff right before they start the media blitz.  But, the media blitz has barely started.   

yea i have seen and their trailers are just great:) just saying strong IP really sells and sells well for initial launch.. so it will probably not get the initial sales as say TESO but again if its a strong game i'm sure it will do very well:)

I have, thought the dialog had like the shrek undertone type yeah. still it feels like a cartoon to me.

I LOVE shrek :P

Originally posted by Iselin

It's not a comic book dude, it's a graphic novel... a graphic novel I tell ya!

Don't be misled by the artwork and humorous tone. There's a real MMO here.

Graphic novel and it being mmo I hear ya, from what I've seeen the past year and looking at the facial expressions, animations when they move it has a Pixar feel. I'm not knocking it's quality just a observation. Why I thought it was a children's mmo.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Vorch

My three games this year are HOPEFULLY going to be GW2, TESO, and Wildstar.

I'm just waiting to see the payment model, though.

I agree, like half the battle for me is the payment model, if it's B2P then the rest just needs to be actual gameplay and MMO aspect, that is good and not a WoW clone.

Like I said in another thread if it has the trinity and raids I can live with that but then there shouldn't be a subscription, and I heard that from a thread that's old so Wildstar might be different, I also hope you don't have to be required or forced to group for quests and such that to me is a pet peeve.

I still got to do some more research on Wildstar but to be honest I'm a bit lazy at the moment and don't know when I'm going to read the features and etc in it's entirety lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

A lot of people said this about WoW before it released, look where the game is now.  That kind of stylized cartoony art allows them to make the game playable on very low end PC's.  On top of that it ages really well, even after 8-9 years WoW still looks graphically decent. (not great, but not as bad as say AC or Vanguard)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by funcon
    It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

If I got a penny for every time I heard that the WoW players will move on to this and that title. WoW is almost a decade old MMO now so they will start to slowly move away from it. But to WildStar? Doubt it. Haven't seen anything in this game that is so much better than GW 2, SW:TOR or any other triple A MMO out there.

That does not mean I think those games are so good just that Wildstar does not seem to be either.