Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Screen turned black while playing game.

dg29031994dg29031994 Member UncommonPosts: 135
My friend just got new computer, the pc works fine while in window screen. But if he plays HoN, sometimes while he play, the game freeze then turn black for like 2 second them came b on normal. When he plays Crysis 3, the game freeze then turn black and stay like that. Whats wrong?

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    sounds like a graphics card overheating.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    My guess is heat.  It could be a video driver, but your symptoms sound more like a heat problem.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by dg29031994
    My friend just got new computer, the pc works fine while in window screen. But if he plays HoN, sometimes while he play, the game freeze then turn black for like 2 second them came b on normal. When he plays Crysis 3, the game freeze then turn black and stay like that. Whats wrong?

Issue could be driver related 

Issue could be firefox related (Somethings going on with java and firefox at the moment. If you have firefox, untinstall it, redownload it, install latest java) or you can remove it completely, I've sadly had to and I haven't had a black screen issue since. 

Over heating could be the issue 

Could be a problem with the gpu (If you are absolutely certain its the GPU and I mean without a doubt in your mine, you are actually about to throw it in the trash certain then you can bake it and see if that fixes it because it sometimes will) 

Those are your most likely culprits. Firefox is probably most likely, driver issue second, over heating 3rd, and GPU gone bad is least likely. 

• dg29031994dg29031994 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Dont think it gets overheat though, the fans still run. It is a 7970 from gigabyte with 3 fans, it is new. In the case of HoN, the problem occurs when we connect his PC and Monitor with a VGA adapter, then he changed it to HDMI and it fixed the problem. Now with Crysis 3, he can play the game for about 15mins then the game turned black, he then alt+tab, the screen still black but he can see the taskbar bellow.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Yep.  Download something like MSI Afterburner, and put the GPU fan on manual and crank it up (second tab iirc).

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Id say video card related hands down.  Heat....open up the box and watch to see if the fan goes on the graphics card.  It could be broke...also, make sure the tower isnt near a heating vent...I actually have my comp elevated pretty high because of that.

The fans run good.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

You can measure GPU temperature directly while gaming.

What case is it, and what power supply?

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    The fans run good.

is the tower near a heat source?

Another small possibility could be updates...get all the most current updates, but doesnt sound like that's the problem

He checked, the highest temp is around 65. He puts his pc on top of the desk. I don't think this position of the PC affect the heat thought, he placed his old PC there for years and play game on it just fine.

Try monitoring the GPU temperature directly.  Catalyst Control Center will show you the GPU temperature, as will GPU-Z.  Have the program open and look at the GPU temperature, and hope to catch it shortly before the screen turns black.  If you're hitting 100 C, then there's the problem.  If the screen goes black at 70 C, it's not likely heat-related, though it could still be a heat problem if there's something defective in the card construction that is mysteriously insulating some particular part and causing it to overheat.  That would be a "card is defective" type of problem, though.

He checked, the highest temp is around 65. He puts his pc on top of the desk. I don't think this position of the PC affect the heat thought, he placed his old PC there for years and play game on it just fine.

Is that 65 C while playing games shortly before the screen goes black?

Is there any sort of overclocking involved here?

Originally posted by Quizzical

No OC. He used MSI afterburner, after the game turned black, he Ctrl+alt+del then "end task" the game, then he looked at msi afterburner and see that the Highest GPU temp is 65.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

No OC. He used MSI afterburner, after the game turned black, he Ctrl+alt+del then "end task" the game, then he looked at msi afterburner and see that the Highest GPU temp is 65.

Has he tried forcing the GPU fan to 100%?

Otherwise I think he's got himself a lemon of a card.  It's under warranty, so I would swap it out if he has already tried forcing more air.

I is testing, if nothing work, i will give him my Graphic card to test out. I will update later :)
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    What type of cable is he using from his video card to monitor?  If its an HDMI or DisplayPort cable, try using a DVI cable.
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    What type of cable is he using from his video card to monitor?  If its an HDMI or DisplayPort cable, try using a DVI cable.

hes using HDMI.

If the GPU stops doing work when the screen goes black, then the temperature could easily have fallen precipitously between the time that the screen went black and he was able to see the temperature.

But you're saying that he could check the GPU temperature after the screen went black?  So it's only the game window that went black, and it wasn't basically a full system crash?  That's a very different symptom from locking up the system entirely, which is what I thought from the title.

If the GPU stops doing work when the screen goes black, then the temperature could easily have fallen precipitously between the time that the screen went black and he was able to see the temperature.

But you're saying that he could check the GPU temperature after the screen went black?  So it's only the game window that went black, and it wasn't basically a full system crash?  That's a very different symptom from locking up the system entirely, which is what I thought from the title.

Yes. The screen turned black while playing the Game. He Ctrl+Alt+ Delete, "end Task" the game then everything work fine.

He just downloaded the 13.2 Beta driver from AMD. This is what he got after installing the driver, every installation is SUCCESS, but one thing does not "amd display driver: final status fail". While playing the game, he caught an error message says: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Sounds like a failed video card

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

He's using MSI afterburner, it records the highest temp the card has hit since the PC was last started not just the current one. If it reports 65C as max then his card is not overheating, not even in the slightest.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    He just downloaded the 13.2 Beta driver from AMD. This is what he got after installing the driver, every installation is SUCCESS, but one thing does not "amd display driver: final status fail". While playing the game, he caught an error message says: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Tell him to do a clean install. Uninstall the current ones, boot to safe mode and run Driver Sweeper making sure the AMD boxes are ticked. Reboot into windows normally and install them again.

Tbh the display going black and then coming back on was likely the drivers crashing in the first place, happens all the time with mine but usually when im OC'ing and benching. If the new drivers don't work after a clean install tell him to try underclocking the card and see how it gets on, if it works fine underclocked then i'd say it's time to return it for a replacement.

Originally posted by Kabaal

Tell him to do a clean install. Uninstall the current ones, boot to safe mode and run Driver Sweeper making sure the AMD boxes are ticked. Reboot into windows normally and install them again.

Tbh the display going black and then coming back on was likely the drivers crashing in the first place, happens all the time with mine but usually when im OC'ing and benching. If the new drivers don't work after a clean install tell him to try underclocking the card and see how it gets on, if it works fine underclocked then i'd say it's time to return it for a replacement.

Yup. GPU problem. He underclocked it, the game did freeze for a few second then back to normal, it did not crash. I gave him my 7950 and it works fine on him, i tried his GPU on my PC and it didn't work. Returning it to Newegg.