Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny is not a MMO

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/186801/Analysis_Bungie_and_Activisions_reveal_of_Destiny.php#.USPaJGfL__k

Some quotes:

"But Parsons spoke of "a living world," and Hirshberg alluded to a persistent one. He also called the game "the world's first shared world shooter." However, the game will only allow players to encounter a "design controlled" number of fellow players at any time, Parsons said."

... look like instancing to me, and no true persistent world.

"advanced seamless matchmaking technologies that "just disappear into the background and become transparent."

"on the other hand, the developers repeatedly said that the game has no lobbies"

So i guess some type of random algorithm that matches you with other players, and you don't form games in lobbies.

"Eric Hirshberg talked about Activision bringing its expertise in backend technology to the project, noting that it currently runs "the world's biggest backend for a multiplayer game" with DemonWare, which powers the Call of Duty franchise -- not an MMO, obviously."

Is COD bigger than even LOL?

Comments

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

I'm guessing with the huge commitment to networking tech, it is not instancing or sharding.  It's something much more abitious.

Also, it is not AN MMO.  One of my pet peeves.  An MMO = correct, A MMO = incorrect.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Destiny lost any interest for me at it's console only stance. I don't care what systems others prefer, so I don't consider myself a PC snob. However, I DO play almost exclusively on PC, with a few rare console -only exceptions like Red Dead Redemption. I just really prefer keyboard/mouse to controller.

So yes, it's not an MMO but a single-player game with massive co-op?  I think it might be a yawn from me even if it was on PC.

Originally posted by Senadina

Destiny lost any interest for me at it's console only stance. I don't care what systems others prefer, so I don't consider myself a PC snob. However, I DO play almost exclusively on PC, with a few rare console -only exceptions like Red Dead Redemption. I just really prefer keyboard/mouse to controller.

So yes, it's not an MMO but a single-player game with massive co-op?  I think it might be a yawn from me even if it was on PC.

Well there's a good chance it might come to PC.  Guess you won't get it though anyways since it's a yawn.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Zyzra

Well there's a good chance it might come to PC.  Guess you won't get it though anyways since it's a yawn.

I doubt a bungie game will need senadina or it will fail.

Personally i am very interested. The multiplayer aspects look intriguing, and much more innovative than any MMO. It looks like you don't even need to form groups to group.

I do wonder if i can turn that off and play solo though.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I doubt a bungie game will need senadina or it will fail.

Personally i am very interested. The multiplayer aspects look intriguing, and much more innovative than any MMO. It looks like you don't even need to form groups to group.

I do wonder if i can turn that off and play solo though.

Yeah it'll be interesting.  They mentioned it is designed to allow solo play, so I'm sure they're doing things on that front.

Considering the game is supposed to allow solo play, seamless coop, competitive multiplayer, I'm not sure what kind of change they'd need to make for Senadina to not consider it a yawn ha.

The huge amount they poured into network technology should be reason enough for the co-op to be either spectacular, or a TOR-level costly failure.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It's entirely possible that you and the average PC MMO gamer are not the target audience.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Destiny is not a MMO

Of course not.

Destiny is a child.

The huge amount they poured into network technology should be reason enough for the co-op to be either spectacular, or a TOR-level costly failure.

At least the good news is that there will be solo-play as a fall-back. No matter how interesting, or seamless the match-making system is, if you meet a griefer, it can ruin your day. So i hope they do put in a "rage-quit" button.

However, if solo-play is good, they can make their money back from that.

I also wonder if they are going to have friend list and "instant join" like in D3. That would be very helpful if i want to play with my kids.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Destiny is not a MMO

Of course not.

Destiny is a child.

Word.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

At least the good news is that there will be solo-play as a fall-back. No matter how interesting, or seamless the match-making system is, if you meet a griefer, it can ruin your day. So i hope they do put in a "rage-quit" button.

However, if solo-play is good, they can make their money back from that.

I also wonder if they are going to have friend list and "instant join" like in D3. That would be very helpful if i want to play with my kids.

Friends list and joining friends is present and accounted for.  It will definitely be in.  For proof, play the bungie.net homepage video and look in the lower right corner at the one minute nineteen second mark.

There is also "Faction Wars" and "Raid" though if those are related to any common MMO terms is unclear.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    My only hope is there wont be grind of any sort.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Destiny looks very intresting and I will keep watching it. If the game will not be on pc I could care less and I am mainly a pc gamer but I still love my Xbox 360. Tired of all the comments of anything thats not on pc I wont play it.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I really believe more people should spread the truth that this game isn't a MMO, before the misinformation gets out of hand like it did with GW1. 

I wouldn't be so bitter about the first game if I wasn't mislead by gaming sites saying it was a MMORPG without a sub fee. I could have excepted it for what it was if I knew before I spent money on it. 

The misleading of calling it a MMO when it's not, only leads to disappointment.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I really believe more people should spread the truth that this game isn't a MMO, before the misinformation gets out of hand like it did with GW1. 

I wouldn't be so bitter about the first game if I wasn't mislead by gaming sites saying it was a MMORPG without a sub fee. I could have excepted it for what it was if I knew before I spent money on it. 

The misleading of calling it a MMO when it's not, only leads to disappointment.

Or lead to a pleasant surprise