Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] DK Online: Not Worth a Fuss Over

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We've been playing DK Online over the last several weeks, chronicling some of our adventures. Today we present our final review. See what we've got to say before heading to the comments to chat.

DK Online (Dragon Knights Online) is the latest title from Aeria Games, the F2P publishing giant behind titles such as Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine. It’s billed as one of their premier titles and is focused on a heavily PvP-oriented world. But behind the promotion and the bold billings, what you’ll find in DK Online is a game that you’ll play for ten minutes and no more.

Read more of George Dimmock's DK Online: Not Worth a Fuss Over.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah Im not feeling this game either I gave it a try and its just a very boring repetitive grind after awhile with low end graphics. I really did give this one a fair shake to got up to around level 20 or something and it just never ever changed at all , same boring grinding quest hubs and mobs.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    This is a real shame, I had my eye on this game for it's "PvP focus". Guild Wars is somewhat innovative but for a hardcore pvper GW2's WvWvW is way too casual oriented. Have to wait till ESO or ArcheAge for some real pvp I suppose.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I have to say as one who prizes myself on focusing gameplay for graphics, I've noticed I'm a lot more picky on visuals then I use to be. DK Online really detracted me from how outdated its graphics are. Some games did a good job on making their graphics 'last' longer like as an example WoW's art style helped to give the game a feeling of having good aesthetics for a lot longer then say Final Fantasy 11. Out of the box here, DK Online just looks so old and doesn't really look attractive to the eye. Unfortunately it just really bothered me far to much for me to even get past it which for someone who takes pride in looking past graphics, it kind of hurts that the graphics can just detract me that much to not be able to stand it.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Hmm, so 5.2 is for a bad MMO. What about the 1 to 4 ? Your description sounds more like a solid 2. ;)
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Anthur
    Hmm, so 5.2 is for a bad MMO. What about the 1 to 4 ? Your description sounds more like a solid 2. ;)

giving a mmorpg with a parent company like aeria a 2 is bad business here to a site that largely works off advertising dollars given to them from companies. I do not ever remember seeing a review on this site that low and I doubt you will because it would be business suicide as the company producing games would stop giving you money to advertise for them.

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379
    Seriously what did you expect from a Korean f2p as far as customization goes? All of those games are gender locked with white being the only skin tone. As far as players go I felt that there were to many in those small zones, which made it hard to complete quests since shadow mages AoE everything and refuses to group. My biggest turn off is always the gender lock with limited skin tone options. Which is why I pretty much steer clear of Korean f2p games. One other thing the only stat worth putting points into was con since str and int were broken as hell.
  • XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105

EDIT:  thanks a lot George Dimmock / MMORPG.COM, for your professionalism, openness of mind, and rectifying the part about the item shop. Yes I find it extremely disapointing that they are not selling permanent items. As I've said, I love shops in F2P's to collect cool stuff like costumes & mounts but Aeria Games just lost a customer because it's impossible to keep purchased items for more than 30 days. Screw that because if F2P's start to turn purchases into temporary items ONLY, then I'm done! Had they introduced an option to keep purchases forever (like Vindictus or TERA) I would probably still play this game...

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Well... from what i read.... the game is playable. It doesn't crash often, doesn't wipe your C:  and actually has features even if they are poorly implemented. While it might sound like an obvious "no duh" there are a lot of games that really deserve 1 to 4 -  but you just don't hear about them at all.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• TolgeranthTolgeranth Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Sounds like a rehashed version of another game of theirs Last Chaos. 
  • KaerellaKaerella Member UncommonPosts: 27

Last Chaos, Aeria's flagship MMO, has just celebrated its sixth birthday... and I must say that I don't see any important ways in which DK Online is an improvement.  Last Chaos does at least have character models that look European rather than Korean, and after refinements down the years, would give newcomers to this sort of thing a more comfortable introduction.

I do like the way in which Aeria does give the forums for its games individual "shoutboxes" so that you can log in and chat with other players for advice or help... or maybe even a game master may hop in, during California office hours.  

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Tried it and didn't even last more than 3 hours. It had all the hallmarks of the 98623918643 other generic Korean import clones that I've played, so I didn't bother to give it too much serious consideration. This seems pretty much in-line with the kind of score I would have given it.

It's playable/functional. It's a game. It's just extremely underwhelming at every turn.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Just when I thought this game might add just a hint of creativity to an Asian f2p mmo port, I started running into nonsensical invisible walls at a shallow river.  It makes you take the bridge when the water couldn't be more than 2 inches deep.  Oh, well.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

With MMORPG.com, as with most such sites, I just subtract 5 from the score and treat it as a 1-5 rating.

(For IGN I think the normalisation is -7)

Give me liberty or give me lasers