Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Halo DEVs want a piece of the MMO pie.

Comments

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Zyzra

on the main site it say this game is coming to

PS3

PS4

WiiU

so thats a lot of systems. I am interested in how it will work on the three next gen systems.

Care to link to what you believe the "main site" is?

On the http://www.destinythegame.com/wheretobuy pre order page it only lists Xbox 360 and PS3.  Couldn't find any news of other platforms on destinythegame.com.

Bungie.net didn't have any other systems listed either.

So again, link what you feel the "main site" is and where they state it's coming to any system other than PS3 and Xbox 360.

http://www.destinythegame.com/wheretobuy

View the source code for this page. Ctrl-F "platform", you'll find it.

So you think this will be on Wii U and VITA?  lol ok.  I don't see in any way how this says it is coming to those, at all.  It lists them, sure but in no way does the main site say it is coming to those like you said.

Oh well!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

PS3

PS4

WiiU

so thats a lot of systems. I am interested in how it will work on the three next gen systems.

On the http://www.destinythegame.com/wheretobuy pre order page it only lists Xbox 360 and PS3.  Couldn't find any news of other platforms on destinythegame.com.

So again, link what you feel the "main site" is and where they state it's coming to any system other than PS3 and Xbox 360.

So you think this will be on Wii U and VITA?  lol ok.  I don't see in any way how this says it is coming to those, at all.  It lists them, sure but in no way does the main site say it is coming to those like you said.

Oh well!

well its on the mainsite's platform list, just hidden. Obivously they cant speak about the 720 and PS4 versions because of NDA. But whats stopping it from coming to the WiiU and Vita as well?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

There are those that say is most definatley NOT an MMO.

"Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg says it's not an MMO. No, it most definitely is not an MMO. And Activision most definitely will not charge a subscription fee for it."

From this article on Eurogamer. : Eurogamer

Also just sharing what I found on da interwebz.

Originally posted by Cacaphony

There are those that say is most definatley NOT an MMO.

"Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg says it's not an MMO. No, it most definitely is not an MMO. And Activision most definitely will not charge a subscription fee for it."

From this article on Eurogamer. : Eurogamer

Also just sharing what I found on da interwebz.

I get the GW1 feeling again, that the developers will say its not a MMO, but no matter how much they say this, sites like this and other sites will continue to call it a MMO, and the community will also believe its a MMO, until the point that the definition of what a MMO is changes to fit this title.

watch....

well its on the mainsite's platform list, just hidden. Obivously they cant speak about the 720 and PS4 versions because of NDA. But whats stopping it from coming to the WiiU and Vita as well?

The source code includes a list of platforms, yes.  That in no way is any indiciation that the game is coming to those platforms.

Let me ask you this, how the hell could Destiny possibly run on Vita from a hardware standpoint?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

PS3

PS4

WiiU

That's a standard Activision (ATVI) script.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155266

Do some research, people.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Cacaphony There are those that say is most definatley NOT an MMO. "Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg says it's not an MMO. No, it most definitely is not an MMO. And Activision most definitely will not charge a subscription fee for it." From this article on Eurogamer. : Eurogamer Also just sharing what I found on da interwebz.
    I get the GW1 feeling again, that the developers will say its not a MMO, but no matter how much they say this, sites like this and other sites will continue to call it a MMO, and the community will also believe its a MMO, until the point that the definition of what a MMO is changes to fit this title.

watch....

It could go down quite possibly as you describe. I just thought I would share my findings as well. Thats all. :)

The source code includes a list of platforms, yes.  That in no way is any indiciation that the game is coming to those platforms.

Let me ask you this, how the hell could Destiny possibly run on Vita from a hardware standpoint?

you dont even know what kind of game the Vita version would be..... you do know Vita has Black Opps right? doesnt mean its the same game as the console version....

cant tell if you being serious or just joking with me. but

oh well. I did answer your question though right?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Reduce the graphical fidelity? Simplified model geometry. Worse textures. It has been done before, you know.

watch....

I can live with that, as long as Bungie makes it a fun game and don't require a raid level commitment to have fun.

It is not like the MMO label is sacred or anything.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Reduce the graphical fidelity? Simplified model geometry. Worse textures. It has been done before, you know.

So Vita players will have a worse looking one, but still have it connect and play with people on consoles.

So which Vita game allows competitive play against Xbox 360 console players?  You said it has been done before, you know.

watch....

I can live with that, as long as Bungie makes it a fun game and don't require a raid level commitment to have fun.

It is not like the MMO label is sacred or anything.

well in the future when you shopping for a new MMO, and you get a list of non MMOs calling themselves MMO based on this new definition, and your money gets wasted, year its a big deal.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

PS3

PS4

WiiU

That's a standard Activision (ATVI) script.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155266

Do some research, people.

Thank you for clearing this up.  I didn't want people to jump to such huge conclusions about Destiny being a Vita/ Wii U game haha.  Good catch there.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Isturi

Of course by now the MMO pie is reduce to crumbs. First sentance and already we're being that negative?  Really? So anyways ya it is true Bungie the makers of Halo who was partnered with Microsoft has anounced that they will now set thier sites on the MMO market now with the introduction of Destiny.  

"It’s a large-scale MMO set in a post-apocalyptic world, but the gameplay and social interaction is supposed to be far more natural and fluid than other MMOs. There will apparently not be any subscription model, so gamers won’t have monthly fees to deal with, either."

I love the vote of confedince they give thier game all ready with the statement of no monthly fee's so basicly they just said that this MMO will not hold your attention long enought to want to subscribe. Well that is certainly another pessimistic way to interpet things, I see a pattern. Well hope they choose B2P then because F2P will mean P2W wich will spell out a very short life for Destiny. 3rd pessimistic assumption in 3 paragraphs, :-( I guess there is no such thing as a non pay to win free to play game?

The concept is "Some alien force nearly wiped out humanity, but a mysterious orb called the Traveler saved what’s left of our species. The Traveler appears dead, but the giant ball hangs over the city that humanity’s remnant cobbled together But apparently weren’t not alone, and the creatures on the outside of the city are trying to finish us off. Players start out as guardians of the city and are armed with some of the Traveler’s (very cool) weapons."

So it seems that this will be a MMOFPS??  There is a lot of footage of the actual game, you'd think someone trying to 'announce' something to the gamers here on the forums you'd have at least youtubed...

Anyways I hope the best for Bungie. Even though they are no longer part of Microsoft I am sure that they will be looking to them for some support. So they AREN'T tied into microsoft right now?  Yet you make the 4th pessimistic assumption in your post.  Asserting that 1. Microsoft can't be a good buisness partner, and 2. that they will have to sooner or later parter with Microsoft.

Lets take some of that negativity out of your editorial shall we? 

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Zyzra So you think this will be on Wii U and VITA?  lol ok.  I don't see in any way how this says it is coming to those, at all.  It lists them, sure but in no way does the main site say it is coming to those like you said.

Oh well!

Vita can run most things a PS3 can in the same resolution... Why is that hard to believe/

Wii U is a next gen console already too...

I mean honestly where is all this skeptisim coming from?

Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Zyzra So you think this will be on Wii U and VITA?  lol ok.  I don't see in any way how this says it is coming to those, at all.  It lists them, sure but in no way does the main site say it is coming to those like you said.

Oh well!

Vita can run most things a PS3 can in the same resolution... Why is that hard to believe/

Wii U is a next gen console already too...

I mean honestly where is all this skeptisim coming from?

From the online component mostly.  I don't see the Vita or Wii U connecting those gamers to ones on the Xbox 360 to compete against each other.

Nor does the site say it, as has been pointed out it's a generic activision script and not really any actual indication of anything Destiny related at all.

Someone just read some source code and figured they'd discovered something relevant, when they hadn't.

Edit: Also, the Wii U is out now, just like the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Vita.  So why are just the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 available for pre-order?  I mean it's obviously coming to Vita and Wii U because a generic script has a list of platforms.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not going to be on the wiiu or vita.

It's a playstation / xbox exclusive.

Also the idea of the vita playing a fps mmo is just lol. Might as well make a phone version.

As for the pc version. I have a theory there isn't one because of Titan. Which may be a VERY simmilar pc / Mac game. Let's see what blizzard announce at blizz con.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Umm WTF this is all wrong.

It's NOT an MMO, they say that explicitly.

They are also partnering with Activision not Microsoft for Destiny.

It's an open world shooter more like Borderlands, but with a lot of focus on targetted co-op play online, not at all "massively" in any sense.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Also the idea of the vita playing a fps mmo is just lol. Might as well make a phone version.

Phones are more powerful than the vita, and phones have many shooters. I don't see why not.

Phones are more powerful than the vita, and phones have many shooters. I don't see why not.

Once again, because of the online component as I already described.

Phones are online all the time. In fact, there are MMOs & online shooters running on phones. So again, i don't see why not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If you made a mmo to play on the vita and or phones.

Console players wouldn't buy it, as it would be super simple due to the massive memory constraints.

Phones are online all the time. In fact, there are MMOs & online shooters running on phones. So again, i don't see why not.

So you honestly feel Destiny is perfectly capable as it has been described and show of being a Vita/phone game.  That is what you actually think?

Also, name some Vita/phone games with persistant worlds and allow play with and against xbox 360 / ps3 users.

It's extremely silly what you are saying.  I understand some games can run on phones, involve shooting, and have online.  But compared to Destiny....just try and be reasonable.

Edit: actually, they already showed some of their Mobile plans - sure as hell wasn't gameplay at all.  Wasn't the game.

Then again maybe they should take away the whole world and make it just a lobby, right nariusseldon?  You'd buy it day 1 then, right?  i knew I remembered your username, not sure why I'm trying to explain why Destiny won't be a phone/vita game then heh

as another poster already said. Its not a MMO. its a open world FPS coop game. Not a MMO. developers have said this already.

Then again maybe they should take away the whole world and make it just a lobby, right nariusseldon?  You'd buy it day 1 then, right?  i knew I remembered your username, not sure why I'm trying to explain why Destiny won't be a phone/vita game then heh

Actually Destiny is not going to have a lobby, nor a persistent world. There will be seamless match-making tech. Read my other thread.

And i am probably going to buy it day 1 if it is as good as Halo 3.