Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Halo DEVs want a piece of the MMO pie.

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Of course by now the MMO pie is reduce to crumbs. So anyways ya it is true Bungie the makers of Halo who was partnered with Microsoft has anounced that they will now set thier sites on the MMO market now with the introduction of Destiny.

"It’s a large-scale MMO set in a post-apocalyptic world, but the gameplay and social interaction is supposed to be far more natural and fluid than other MMOs. There will apparently not be any subscription model, so gamers won’t have monthly fees to deal with, either."

I love the vote of confedince they give thier game all ready with the statement of no monthly fee's so basicly they just said that this MMO will not hold your attention long enought to want to subscribe. Well hope they choose B2P then because F2P will mean P2W wich will spell out a very short life for Destiny.

The concept is "Some alien force nearly wiped out humanity, but a mysterious orb called the Traveler saved what’s left of our species. The Traveler appears dead, but the giant ball hangs over the city that humanity’s remnant cobbled together But apparently weren’t not alone, and the creatures on the outside of the city are trying to finish us off. Players start out as guardians of the city and are armed with some of the Traveler’s (very cool) weapons."

So it seems that this will be a MMOFPS??

Anyways I hope the best for Bungie. Even though they are no longer part of Microsoft I am sure that they will be looking to them for some support.

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Ya know, I really love Bungie and Halo 1 and 3 (2 should be forgotten IMO), but this seems like too risky of a game to make personally. Especially with all the post apocalyptic MMOs we have to deal with over the next few years.

Did we really need another? Either way I hope this is one of the successful ones.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Bungie seems to know how to make fun games. But we shall see.

I hope they are not shackled by MMO conventions like raids, guilds, world zones, and what-not, but make a fun MP game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Halo is the most overratted game ever.

I don't care that its not on pc.

I stopped reading edge after its ridiculous fawning over bungie. There are much better pc orientated fps. It's the father of all that is wrong with modern "console shite" fps like cod. Also they talk like they brought fps to the console mass market, when they didn't - goldeneye, quake 2 and perfect dark on the n64.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

I stopped reading edge after its ridiculous fawning over bungie. There are much better pc orientated fps. It's the father of all that is wrong with modern "console shite" fps like cod. Also they talk like they brought fps to the console mass market, when they didn't - goldeneye, quake 2 and perfect dark on the n64.

HALO *is* on the PC.

HALO is rated pretty well. "Over-rated" is your opinion. Just like "fun" is mine. And i don't recall vehicle combat in goldeneye, or quake 2.

To be honest, Halo is not my fav FPS. However, it is still fun to me, and i won't dismiss bungie. I think they know how to make a fun game. 

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Sound interesting, might even be good. Though the partnered with Microsoft part kinna makes me a tad worried.

Their.. mmo track record isnt exactly great.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

HALO *is* on the PC.

HALO is rated pretty well. "Over-rated" is your opinion. Just like "fun" is mine. And i don't recall vehicle combat in goldeneye, or quake 2.

To be honest, Halo is not my fav FPS. However, it is still fun to me, and i won't dismiss bungie. I think they know how to make a fun game. 

Gotta agree with you here, Halo didn't bring anything new to the table, but what they did bring was better than the usual CoD/BF shpiel EA keeps dumping on our chest with.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

Yep, that link does lead to a poorly worded description of Destiny.  It will not be an MMO, it will have no subscription fee.  It'll be more like a co-op shooter such as Borderlands but with seamless drop in and drop out matchmaking.

Honestly, reading the OP shows how terrible the choice of MMO was in that article, because it makes people completely miss what Destiny really is.

It isn't a matter of B2P or P2W or any MMO crap.

It's pay your 60 bucks for the game like any other console title.  It requires you to be online to play, but can be fully single player.  It's meant to be social.  It is not an MMO.  I really hope people don't lump it into an MMO category just because it has multiplayer.  Ugh.

Originally posted by Zyzra

Yep, that link does lead to a poorly worded description of Destiny.  It will not be an MMO, it will have no subscription fee.  It'll be more like a co-op shooter such as Borderlands but with seamless drop in and drop out matchmaking.

Honestly, reading the OP shows how terrible the choice of MMO was in that article, because it makes people completely miss what Destiny really is.

It's pay your 60 bucks for the game like any other console title.  It requires you to be online to play, but can be fully single player.  It's meant to be social.  It is not an MMO.  I really hope people don't lump it into an MMO category just because it has multiplayer.  Ugh.

Yeah .. it looks like it is going to be a online game with seamless match-making, and it also should be fun as a solo game.

I like that better than a MMO. Hopefully, they actually can have a good story (that change the world) because you don't need a persistent world. Something like D3 type story instances, but with seamless match-making ... so someone else can "appear" in "your" world ... will be good.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Hey I just report what I read. Bungie calles Destiny a MMO not me. Who am I to say otherwise?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not on pc, as apparently mouse and keyboard is inferior to a gameoad for a fps.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/17/destiny-not-coming-to-pc-bungie-deny-reality/
  • Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    this game is not coming out on the pc. its on console only. xbox360, ps3 and some hints at the next gen consoles as well.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Isturi

Hey I just report what I read. Bungie calles Destiny a MMO not me. Who am I to say otherwise?

Bungie has never called the game an MMO. The official term they use to describe it is "a shared-world shooter." They're avoiding the term "MMO" altogether and I don't blame them at all. It's got too much baggage.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    The game is not a mmo. It is a fps with persistence. Thats it.
  • IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Bungie has never called the game an MMO. The official term they use to describe it is "a shared-world shooter." They're avoiding the term "MMO" altogether and I don't blame them at all. It's got too much baggage.

I dont know then like I mention i just report what I read and if you click on the link provided you will see that "Bungie is embarking on a new MMO"  To QUOTE the writer of the articale that I got my info from. I am not reading in between the lines here it is plainly written.

It's not on pc, as apparently mouse and keyboard is inferior to a gameoad for a fps.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/17/destiny-not-coming-to-pc-bungie-deny-reality/

I do prefer a gamepad. So i use a gamepad even when i am playing PC games. It is more comfortable. You can lay back and play. It is not more accurate, but i am not playing competitively.

They just want to make a fun online shooter with some social functions. I am glad they are not dragging MMO (although the gaming press is) into it.

They just want to make a fun online shooter with some social functions. I am glad they are not dragging MMO (although the gaming press is) into it.

Gaming press isn't. Hacks that think they are gaming press are. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I dont know then like I mention i just report what I read and if you click on the link provided you will see that "Bungie is embarking on a new MMO"  To QUOTE the writer of the articale that I got my info from. I am not reading in between the lines here it is plainly written.

I can write an article and call Destiny a third person point and click puzzle game for education, won't make it true or official.

Research is your friend, Suzi Parker.

Gaming press isn't. Hacks that think they are gaming press are. ;)

hahahah ... small distinction.

Back to the topic .. the topic is flawed. Bungie never wants a piece of the MMO pie, since there is not much pie anyway. They are shooting for much bigger fish.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

on the main site it say this game is coming to

PS3

PS4

WiiU

so thats a lot of systems. I am interested in how it will work on the three next gen systems.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

PS3

PS4

WiiU

so thats a lot of systems. I am interested in how it will work on the three next gen systems.

Care to link to what you believe the "main site" is?

On the http://www.destinythegame.com/wheretobuy pre order page it only lists Xbox 360 and PS3.  Couldn't find any news of other platforms on destinythegame.com.

Bungie.net didn't have any other systems listed either.

So again, link what you feel the "main site" is and where they state it's coming to any system other than PS3 and Xbox 360.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

PS3

PS4

WiiU

Care to link to what you believe the "main site" is?

On the http://www.destinythegame.com/wheretobuy pre order page it only lists Xbox 360 and PS3.  Couldn't find any news of other platforms on destinythegame.com.

Bungie.net didn't have any other systems listed either.

So again, link what you feel the "main site" is and where they state it's coming to any system other than PS3 and Xbox 360.

http://www.destinythegame.com/wheretobuy

View the source code for this page. Ctrl-F "platform", you'll find it.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Bungie seems to know how to make fun games. But we shall see.

I hope they are not shackled by MMO conventions like raids, guilds, world zones, and what-not, but make a fun MP game.

Guilds have never been a "shackle" for MMOs. In fact they are the opposite, they are what makes MMOs more interactive and sociable. 

If you don't like guilds, play a console game.

If anything, Destiny needs to stay away from the multi-guild membership crud that a couple newer MMOs have tried which is ridiculous and only breeds drama and disloyalty.

Originally posted by Czanrei

If you don't like guilds, play a console game.

I will play whatever is fun to me.