Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Racism and pedophilia chat is....

Comments

• DesskawDesskaw Member Posts: 17
    I've been experiencing the same thing. Most people are not-talking or just being trolls/asses. If there's anyone playing on Ascension Valley (NA) not being a total douchebag and want to group up or something, just give me a message! I'd like some nice and respectable people to talk to.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

There's always bad apples in every game you just have to weed them out. Join a good guild and turn off the Global channel then you don't have to worry about it... Keep blocking if you have too I know it sounds bad but you have unlimited block...

While I agree this community is worse then alot of games its really Global chat that is the worst turn that off and your pretty much g2g. There is a couple idiots in Area but nothing like global chat it's basically "the barrens" of Tera.....

I joined a good guild and am having fun for the moment who knows once I max out probably will mmo hop again thats my pattern....

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Great another one of these threads. Use the /ignore or /mute feature and move on, I don't know anyone who cares about your personal feelings on some troll in general chat.

It's hard to do that to most of an entire MMO playerbase, especially when an MMO is supposed to have multiplayer interaction.

TERA has a horrible community through and through.  I've known it for a while.  Not sure why anyone would defend people who say the kinds of things that get said in TERA chat.  Pathetic.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    well. its F2P and they have ellins, what do u expect?
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Ecoces

well duh when you have this as one of the Races .....

of course they aren't going to see Pedophilia as a problem. sorry but any game designer who makes a "child-like" race "sexy" gets no money ever from me

This is exactly why I quit playing. When you get people commenting on what they would like to do to their "child" character, it's time for me to move on.

OP...people are doubting some of what you say, but I found chat to be as bad as you described. Obviously people posting here do not pay attention to the chat when they play. I wish I could ignore chat in mmo's, but I watch it often to look for people selling stuff or LFG.

OP...Do like I did and find something else to play.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by Ecoces

well duh when you have this as one of the Races .....

of course they aren't going to see Pedophilia as a problem. sorry but any game designer who makes a "child-like" race "sexy" gets no money ever from me

This is exactly why I quit playing. When you get people commenting on what they would like to do to their "child" character, it's time for me to move on.

OP...people are doubting some of what you say, but I found chat to be as bad as you described. Obviously people posting here do not pay attention to the chat when they play. I wish I could ignore chat in mmo's, but I watch it often to look for people selling stuff or LFG.

OP...Do like I did and find something else to play.

Just my thoughts on the subject

It's so stupid though to quit over something so trivial IGNORE it....

I mean really people can't turn off the chat or block people I mean if you like the game. I just don't understand people quitting basically means (the haters, trollers, whatever you wanna call em) WIN.....

This community is no worse then Wow or AOC...

AOC has the worst people I have ever dealt with in my life.... This doesnt even compare.....

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by nationalcity

I mean really you can't turn off the chat or block people I mean if you like the game I just don't understand you quitting basically means they WIN.....

It would be easy to ignore if its just a few people, but when you have to turn off an entire CHAT CHANNEL because of 100s of jackasses it makes the game what?

What is the point of playing a god damn MMO when you end up with every single public chat channel turned off! May as well play a single player game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53

I picked this game back up when it went F2P, and the chat really is that bad.

If it's not sexual comments or racial slurs, it's people bickering over nonsense.

Every time I play, I have Area and Global chats turned off.

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109

this type of thing goes on all over the internet and in many games, stupid/inappropriate comments and such.

has nothing to do with the elin, who aren't children.. they are some type of immortal fairy creatures in a fantasy world..

these same people would most likely make ridiculous statements like that in any setting.

i've had someone threaten my life in warcraft because i refused to duel him, we were both orcs... is the orc to blame for insane behavior.

Originally posted by jtcgs

I mean really you can't turn off the chat or block people I mean if you like the game I just don't understand you quitting basically means they WIN.....

It would be easy to ignore if its just a few people, but when you have to turn off an entire CHAT CHANNEL because of 100s of jackasses it makes the game what?

What is the point of playing a god damn MMO when you end up with every single public chat channel turned off! May as well play a single player game.

Exactly.  The game is FILLED with people saying these atrocities.  Gamers with respect for other people shouldn't play this game because of the community.  Because there is no official action against this kind of hate and intolerance, every time someone spends money on TERA they are supporting racism, pedophilia, sexism and hate.

It just doesn't make sense to me but I guess thats just my opinion I mean on TR the only channel I have ever had to turn off was Global I've never had a problem with any other channel....

I mean turning off one channel is gonna make or break the game for people?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

...actually ok in this game.. Mind boggled!  I've reported several people for absolutely disturbing things and the GMs have said it's ok as long as they change one word in the spelling.  I had a guy tell me in global chat that if I had a 5 year old daughter he would rape her while I slept.. I reported him and received an email that a punishment has been given.. He is still playing today!  This company is truly pathetic..  Just my two cents of course..  It's very messed up the way this genre is heading.

Edit:  Please don't ban me for this post just because I don't agree with the company.. Maybe it's because of the way I was raised  /shrug

That's pretty awful. Being a free to play game though, I wouldn't expect much from it. F2P & B2P attract the worse kind of people, not saying everyone that plays them are bad, just that since they don't have to pay a sub fee they could care less about their actions, so the worse kind of people are attracted to those games.

I had heard lots of bad stuff about Tera from friends that have tried it too, so I never bothered with it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Zyzra

Exactly.  The game is FILLED with people saying these atrocities.  Gamers with respect for other people shouldn't play this game because of the community.  Because there is no official action against this kind of hate and intolerance, every time someone spends money on TERA they are supporting racism, pedophilia, sexism and hate.

GMAB I don't support any of them...

I think your way off....

You posting that is basically just as bad as the chat your talking about in game I mean really Pot meet Kettle....

Don't play if you don't want but don't try and say people supporting it are racists and pedo I mean really?

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

This is rich.

Now a few "concerned" fellow internet dwellers are complaining about playing an MMO with every single public chat channel turned off.

Someone remind me, which community was it again that voted, not so long ago, heavily against having a global chat channel?

Yes, every game is not immune to its trolls. Build it, and they will come.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

It just doesn't make sense to me but I guess thats just my opinion I mean on TR the only channel I have ever had to turn off was Global I've never had a problem with any other channel....

I mean turning off one channel is gonna make or break the game for people?

It isnt just Global, its Area as well.

Only thing remaining is LFG and Trade.

While this may be OK with people who have a large Guild, one large enough they never have to communicate with anyone else...but for everyone else, mainly NEW PLAYERS COMING IN, all we see is pure trash, which BTW does not leave exactly a good impression.

So, to you wonderful long time Tera players...why the effing hell would you defend the trash in your game when its just helping to push new players OUT? Seriously, people defend blindly and dont realize they hurt their game by doing so.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

I think your way off....

You posting that is basically just as bad as the chat your talking about in game I mean really Pot meet Kettle....

Don't play if you don't want but don't try and say people supporting it are racists and pedo I mean really?

Since you didn't understand, I'll say it a different way.

The company and mods behind TERA are ok with racism, sexism and other hate speech because they choose not to deal with it.

If a person supports that company with money, they are supporting the company's actions - so they support the continued racist and hate speech in chat.

I didn't say people supporting it at racists and pedo, not sure why you thought that.

I'm not sure how my stance against such demeaning talk in a game meant for fun makes me as bad as people spouting racism, but believe that if you want.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by goozmania
    Just based on what you said, it sounds as though you picked a fight with someone in chat, in which case I don't really sympathize. If someone just randomly messaged you and said he'd do that with your offspring, then that's another story. As annoying as chat trolls are, what's worse is the "shut up or I'm telling" crowd, as it is just an invitation for insults.

how did you come to that conclusion? he could have been talking to someone else and would that have made it any less offensive?

i have never even played tera before but joking about raping a 5 year old is absolutely unacceptable for in game mmo chat.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
     I guess I was too busy actually playing the game to notice the pointless chat. Maybe if more people were actually playing the game instead of sitting around bothering with the chat then it wouldn't be such a big deal. 
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

...actually ok in this game.. Mind boggled!  I've reported several people for absolutely disturbing things and the GMs have said it's ok as long as they change one word in the spelling.  I had a guy tell me in global chat that if I had a 5 year old daughter he would rape her while I slept.. I reported him and received an email that a punishment has been given.. He is still playing today!  This company is truly pathetic..  Just my two cents of course..  It's very messed up the way this genre is heading.

Edit:  Please don't ban me for this post just because I don't agree with the company.. Maybe it's because of the way I was raised  /shrug

That's pretty awful. Being a free to play game though, I wouldn't expect much from it. F2P & B2P attract the worse kind of people, not saying everyone that plays them are bad, just that since they don't have to pay a sub fee they could care less about their actions, so the worse kind of people are attracted to those games.

I had heard lots of bad stuff about Tera from friends that have tried it too, so I never bothered with it.

It was like this way before it went F2P. besides the combat, the horrible community is the game's second most outsatanding feature.

Originally posted by Otakun
     I guess I was too busy actually playing the game to notice the pointless chat. Maybe if more people were actually playing the game instead of sitting around bothering with the chat then it wouldn't be such a big deal. 

Yeah, who needs to communicate in a multiplayer game anyways!

Also, people saying to use /ignore commands are missing the point.  It isn't that every new player logging in should leave all sorts of channels and /ignore people.  It is that TERA should actively fight against the kind of hate in chat channels.  It shouldn't be OK with racism and child rape. 

If you just ignore people and leave channels, you're saying you're pretty much OK with child rape comments in the game so long as you don't have to see it.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I think your way off....

Since you didn't understand, I'll say it a different way.

The company and mods behind TERA are ok with racism, sexism and other hate speech because they choose not to deal with it.

If a person supports that company with money, they are supporting the company's actions - so they support the continued racist and hate speech in chat.

I didn't say people supporting it at racists and pedo, not sure why you thought that.

I'm not sure how my stance against such demeaning talk in a game meant for fun makes me as bad as people spouting racism, but believe that if you want.

I just don't understand this viewpoint. Either you enjoy the companies game or you don't, paying them to play the game is not supporting racism or pedophilia lol.

No company has the time or resources to deal with every troll in general chat, this is in every game, not just TERA.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• mistersalty1mistersalty1 Member Posts: 26
    its words on the internet from some random person youll never meet. get over it
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I'm guessing the people telling OP to not report it are just massive TERA fans, there's no other excuse.  I think the issue is more with the company's response than OP or even the idiots in global chat.  The problem is that this is a FTP game.  Banning accounts probably will not do much to stop these fools from playing.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by sxvs

this type of thing goes on all over the internet and in many games, stupid/inappropriate comments and such.

has nothing to do with the elin, who aren't children.. they are some type of immortal fairy creatures in a fantasy world..

these same people would most likely make ridiculous statements like that in any setting.

i've had someone threaten my life in warcraft because i refused to duel him, we were both orcs... is the orc to blame for insane behavior.

take a good look on elins friend, again.. now think u can free "play " them and say anything without regulations or laws. these kind of ppl arent interested in lore or progressing for l33t lvls, they have their own agenda and the game provides it. its has a lot of fetish things.

Originally posted by Mardukk

I'm guessing the people telling OP to not report it are just massive TERA fans, there's no other excuse.  I think the issue is more with the company's response than OP or even the idiots in global chat.  The problem is that this is a FTP game.  Banning accounts probably will not do much to stop these fools from playing.

It was a huge, unchecked, problem BEFORE free to play.

This discussion has been closed.