Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The culling bugs are worse than you think--and unlikely to ever receive anything more than a half-ba

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by mikahr

Mmmm, why would anyone "attack" a strawman?

I don't know. Just look at your post history, I'm sure it'll come back to you.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by jpnz

I don't know.

Thank you.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Let me get this straight cause this is absolutely hilarious.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard And that's exactly how it sounds - like someone who has read about 3D computing theory but has little practical knowledge.

is your post. Right?

So you are saying this quote isn't 'ad hominem attacks' and it isn't a personal attack?

I mean... wow.. the irony..

I love that Quizzical is just dropping technical knowledge after technical knowledge to back his statements up while the other side is saying 'that's not a personal attack!' to the quoted post above.

Dropping tecnical terms =/= dropping knowledge.

And one (well more) big flaw with his OP:

1. hes guessing he dosent have access to code or inner workings of GW2 and his guess is as good as anyones

2. in fact he also doesnt talk about THE culling, but on some minor bugs that noone really cares about. Give me one complaint about "OMG being able to peek through specific shape rock formation is making me quit" In fact i can only applaud ANet for lack of "terrain issues" which is best ive encounterd so far.

3. THE culling is not a bug, its actaully system they used, and while that system was working good with PvE it was (is) not suitable for PvP

So yah, i would say that his lack of adressing THE culling that is actual issue people complain about is lack of experience of actually experiencing THE culling because he obviously didnt do much Wx3 where it was actually visible. In fact most people didnt even know there was (they had) culling in LA for example. They only started noticing THE culling recently where they changed some things about it.

4. IMO, and from what i observed and experienced issue with THE culling is completely different bag of marbles that they are trying to solve and solutions well get is actually peformance related (the way they attacked the problem with fallback models first) on lower end machines (read mid min and below min spec machines) and using separate method for PvE and PvP

Some bugs have more obvious causes than others.  Suppose that you notice that if you download a movie from Netflix while playing a game, your character sometimes warps back a bit.  If you shut down Netflix, the rubber banding stops.  Would you be able to deduce that it's an Internet lag problem caused by using too much bandwidth for something other than the game?  Or would you insist that without access to the source code, there's no way to take an educated guess at it and anyone who suggests closing Netflix while gaming is just taking a wild guess?

A lot of the technical details that I've given on this thread are "this is how 3D graphics works", and not unique to Guild Wars 2.  Knowing that Guild Wars 2 uses DirectX 9.0c (or for that matter, OpenGL or OpenGL ES or WebGL or any other 3D graphics API) tells you a decent amount of what is going on under the hood, as APIs are set up to do things in particular ways.

Once again, we have the 'pro-GW2' side attacking the poster rather than the post itself.

Phrases like 'hes guessing', minor bugs that no one really cares about, his lack of experience'.

Also notice how most of this post is filled with 'what I observed and experienced / my opinion' while the OP is all about factual information and technical knowledge?

So youre saying hes not guessing? Really'

Ii asked you for proof that what he actaully talks about matters and is, you know, problem AT ALL? have you? no? no wonder

and from his post its evident that he didnt experience THE culling much, because he obviously didnt play Wv3 much.

He also observed, experienced and gave his opinion.

Really bro, get a grip lol

If you wanted to talk about WvW and not culling bugs, then why did you click a thread that promised to talk about culling bugs plural?  If you clicked a thread promising to talk about the NFL and 90% of the discussion was about teams other than your favorite one, would you complain that too much of the thread wasn't talking about your favorite team?

Personally, I find graphical glitches annoying, whether flickering, drawing lines where they shouldn't be, culling things that ought to be drawn, or whatever.  The glitch in Champions Online where it would draw a very long line from your character to a particular spot in the Desert got me to turn off comic outlining and leave it off everywhere.

I dont have to convince anyone about anything since its obvius to anyone who reads OP (and the bombastic title) that he actually made a strawman.

Here's a question, how many times did you attack the poster rather than the actual post?

Originally posted by itgrowls

Looks to me like he pretty much can't argue against the post and it's similar in part to how people have reacted to the loot issues of the day. Someone comes up with an overview of what's happening to the community makes a logical explanation for how to fix it and suddenly the cognitive dissonance arguments come out of the woodwork, "let's argue about you personally instead of how the game really is or how to fixit" types. I get that alot as well.

Mmmm, why would anyone "attack" a strawman?

Because you get credit for a renown heart completion if you kill enough straw men.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Some bugs have more obvious causes than others.  Suppose that you notice that if you download a movie from Netflix while playing a game, your character sometimes warps back a bit.  If you shut down Netflix, the rubber banding stops.  Would you be able to deduce that it's an Internet lag problem caused by using too much bandwidth for something other than the game?  Or would you insist that without access to the source code, there's no way to take an educated guess at it and anyone who suggests closing Netflix while gaming is just taking a wild guess?

A lot of the technical details that I've given on this thread are "this is how 3D graphics works", and not unique to Guild Wars 2.  Knowing that Guild Wars 2 uses DirectX 9.0c (or for that matter, OpenGL or OpenGL ES or WebGL or any other 3D graphics API) tells you a decent amount of what is going on under the hood, as APIs are set up to do things in particular ways.

As you may have noticed i talk about THE culling, THE issue that 99,9% people talk about when they mention culling in GW2.

If you wanted to talk about WvW and not culling bugs, then why did you click a thread that promised to talk about culling bugs plural?  If you clicked a thread promising to talk about the NFL and 90% of the discussion was about teams other than your favorite one, would you complain that too much of the thread wasn't talking about your favorite team?

Personally, I find graphical glitches annoying, whether flickering, drawing lines where they shouldn't be, culling things that ought to be drawn, or whatever.  The glitch in Champions Online where it would draw a very long line from your character to a particular spot in the Desert got me to turn off comic outlining and leave it off everywhere.

Because i knew that with your sensationalist thread name certain bandwagoners would jump on. And i was right. You cannot make such threads without context of very hot issue in GW2 and then wonder "but i didnt really want to talk about issue 99,9% people talk about when they mention culling in GW2 but about something completely different"

And THE culling was (is) present in the whole game, its not just matter of Wv3. Most noticable is that most people didnt notice it at all in PvE and thought culling was "thief spamming non existant skill every 3 seconds to stealth whole armies".

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Culling is half the reason I stopped doing WvW. The other half would be that guesting was finally implemented. Before we used to use WvW for 1v1 dueling. Then they added the cooldown.

I could only imagine how bad the game would be if there was object collision physics and player collision.

As you may have noticed i talk about THE culling, THE issue that 99,9% people talk about when they mention culling in GW2.

Because i knew that with your sensationalist thread name certain bandwagoners would jump on. And i was right. You cannot make such threads without context of very hot issue in GW2 and then wonder "but i didnt really want to talk about issue 99,9% people talk about when they mention culling in GW2 but about something completely different"

And THE culling was (is) present in the whole game, its not just matter of Wv3. Most noticable is that most people didnt notice it at all in PvE and thought culling was "thief spamming non existant skill every 3 seconds to stealth whole armies".

So basically, your stance is that if you and some other people want to talk about some particular topic, then no one else is allowed to start a thread about other particular topics?  This thread is what the title says it is:  a thread about culling bugs.

So basically, your stance is that if you and some other people want to talk about some particular topic, then no one else is allowed to start a thread about other particular topics?  This thread is what the title says it is:  a thread about culling bugs.

As you may have also noticed i didnt adress you in the post i quoted (in my first post) but usual suspect(s) that interpreted your thread as something it wasnt.

Why would you even object that?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    (mod edit)

Wow just...*facepalm*

No point to eleborate but if I must I will.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Now that Quizzical is back on this thread, notice how the 'he is guessing / strawman' crowd is silent?

Always look for who is attacking the poster and who is attacking the actual post.

Course, if you are smart enough to understand that giant technical post (feels like I'm back in my Uni days hehehe) you wouldn't need convincing.

Quizzical, do you think it is possible for ANet overhaul it for the expansion? We are suppose to get one this year so..

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    (mod edit)

Oh I'm glad you gave me the opportunity  to do such a thing.

Quizzical isn't wrong on the issues, in fact I don't disgree at all, though I believe the title is wrong an that another flaw is that the issues where all tied together, now I'll be honest if I haven't read all the posts in this thread I wouldn't even understand anything, but I did, Jean Luc seems to have quite a bit of knowlegde to this as well, now I don't care about the whole name calling or attacking stuff that might of been bad in itself so, now that is that, Quiz isn't wrong I actually believe he knows what he's talking about even if it sounds negative on my "precious" GW2 lol, I also think it's a major issue but some of these "gw2 fanboys." actually had a point TsaboHavoc.

It actually makes sense if you look at everything, I mean I myself wouldn't challenge Quizzical to a "tech." off that would be like digging my own grave, but umm the way you come off he is apparenly "God" when it comes to this and there is no such person who can match his knowlegde, which is wrong in itself.

See I'm smart enough not to be biased, I'm also smart enough to know when and when not to post, I've seen this topic since it's creation but I'm not going to argue something I have no clue of so, I decided to take notes and learn but I don't sit here and choose sides, like you in fact, you act as if only Quizzical is right, and any who oppose him are wrong, rather than using some common sense and actually reading what some of the others where talking about and seeing if it makes sense, in which it does.

So let me guess...you are a "GW2 hater?" Welcome to a reality check.

Enjoy life and peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

Now that Quizzical is back on this thread, notice how the 'he is guessing / strawman' crowd is silent?

Always look for who is attacking the poster and who is attacking the actual post.

Course, if you are smart enough to understand that giant technical post (feels like I'm back in my Uni days hehehe) you wouldn't need convincing.

Quizzical, do you think it is possible for ANet overhaul it for the expansion? We are suppose to get one this year so..

Since your pointing the finger. There really isn't more to say. He actually has stated the fact that he is guessing. He feels his guess is in the very educated range. It maybe, I don't know him or his work. Even so he still can be wrong. So, why the "sky is falling" post? White Knighting him doesn't make him more crediable? What ever the case, and I don't know or understand your motives either, everyone needs a hobby I guess. You believe what he has to say great. I'm sceptical of him and ANET until there is a more definitive answer. There is time the game is still young yet in MMO years. 

and Amen RizelStar

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    (mod edit)

Oh I'm glad you gave me the opportunity  to do such a thing.

Quizzical isn't wrong on the issues, in fact I don't disgree at all, though I believe the title is wrong an that another flaw is that the issues where all tied together, now I'll be honest if I haven't read all the posts in this thread I wouldn't even understand anything, but I did, Jean Luc seems to have quite a bit of knowlegde to this as well, now I don't care about the whole name calling or attacking stuff that might of been bad in itself so, now that is that, Quiz isn't wrong I actually believe he knows what he's talking about even if it sounds negative on my "precious" GW2 lol, I also think it's a major issue but some of these "gw2 fanboys." actually had a point TsaboHavoc.

It actually makes sense if you look at everything, I mean I myself wouldn't challenge Quizzical to a "tech." off that would be like digging my own grave, but umm the way you come off he is apparenly "God" when it comes to this and there is no such person who can match his knowlegde, which is wrong in itself.

See I'm smart enough not to be biased, I'm also smart enough to know when and when not to post, I've seen this topic since it's creation but I'm not going to argue something I have no clue of so, I decided to take notes and learn but I don't sit here and choose sides, like you in fact, you act as if only Quizzical is right, and any who oppose him are wrong, rather than using some common sense and actually reading what some of the others where talking about and seeing if it makes sense, in which it does.

So let me guess...you are a "GW2 hater?" Welcome to a reality check.

Enjoy life and peace.

thats what im saying, a lot of ppl are trying to dismiss his points in a biased form, he right until a non-biased argument shows up proving he is wrong, until that happens he is king in my eyes. enjoy life and peace amen.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I'm not sure what's to be expected from a game with no subscription base.  Things get fixed whenever the devs feel like it pretty much.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

The fact is there is only one place where these "visual" problems are a problem and cause mass complaints - PvP, both WvW and sPvP.

In sPvP you had the problem of seeing the thief only after he already killed you - since sPvP is 5vs5 to 8vs8 that was fixed months ago - which was caused by the delay between the server-client communication and the client rendering.

WvW is a combination of that delay and culling being to aggressive and prioritazing wrongly.

All the other problems cause funny visual glitches but are mostly harmless - the worse one probably happens to classes like thiefs and mesmers that sometime get stuck inside "solid" objects.

Earlier on it was even more visable with the asuras since the plane of their camera was much lower.

In fact many of these bugs might be sorted on a object by object basis.

When most people talk about culling, they are talking about WvW.

That is why 2 of the first 3 replies to this topic directly state WvW and the other one is talking about WvW as well although doesn't directly mention it.

Additionally when Arenanet talks about fixing the culling problems they also talk about the specific case of enemies and allies popping up out of thin air and invisible armies.

The OP (intentionally or unintentionally) mixed all these problems and instead of being an informative post became misinformation.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Read the whole thing. Good post. I wonder now what the response will be in the short and long term.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

I never played enough of the just plain awful WvW implementation to ever see the culling issue, so this has never been on my radar.

Then, recently I find Orr dynamic events which draw more than 5 players have become unplayable jokes due to some "fix" patched in for culling. 

Previously I never had any issues with huge zergs in Orr. and I was impressed.  Lots of players and mobs with minimal fps reduction.

This latest patch has ruined Orr and zergs in any zone. 

From a distance all you see are an occasional particle effect, no mobs, no players.

Get close and you might see 3 or 4 mobs, but they are being jerked around by invisible forces.

You have no idea if there are 5 to 50 players present. 

Often the DE can end before you ever see another player materialize. 

This is a fundament baseline function which is currently in a FAIL state. 

Want to convince potential game buyers to avoid this game? Show them a video of invisible zergs in Orr.

Originally posted by ennymith

I never played enough of the just plain awful WvW implementation to ever see the culling issue, so this has never been on my radar.

Then, recently I find Orr dynamic events which draw more than 5 players have become unplayable jokes due to some "fix" patched in for culling. 

Previously I never had any issues with huge zergs in Orr. and I was impressed.  Lots of players and mobs with minimal fps reduction.

From a distance all you see are an occasional particle effect, no mobs, no players.

Get close and you might see 3 or 4 mobs, but they are being jerked around by invisible forces.

Want to convince potential game buyers to avoid this game? Show them a video of invisible zergs in Orr.

Thats not what OP is about, youre off topic, the thread title clearly says CULLING BUGS. How could you make such a mistake? From OP himslef:

---------------------------------

That said, thats how it works now, it prioritize enemies over allies, and it works better (still not good obviously) for Wv3 but its now pretty noticable in PvE. But enough off topic now.

• Clear8888Clear8888 Member Posts: 8
    I cant imagine how they are going to survive when archeage and elder scrolls come out later this year when they cant even fix simple culling problem and teleport hack.    ppl have been using teleport hack since day 1 and still bragging on the exploit forum.
    Originally posted by Clear8888
    I cant imagine how they are going to survive when archeage and elder scrolls come out later this year when they cant even fix simple culling problem and teleport hack.    ppl have been using teleport hack since day 1 and still bragging on the exploit forum.

You think being able to peek through a specific rock formation is such a disaster?

And there are hackers and exploiters in every game. Only difference is that ANet actaully punish them opposed to other games.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

i was wonder after last ''fix'' culling issue patch, i feel the same it was bad but now its even worse (i think its terrible worse), invisible zergs everywhere (and WxWxW its even worse than it was), ANET tried to fix an bug bringing a much worse bug

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244

I tried reading your post i realy did, but every time i read it all i see is ................ bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla am a guild wars 2 troller

hell even you signtuer says it.

so plz before trying to post an hounest thing try to fix your history

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

imageimageimage

It is all invisible- there are another 500 players in this picture.

Not bad for a game with a dying population, hmm?

The haters don't even measure their words - if now anyone talk about desert zones you just say "no, they are all invisible due to the culling bugs.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

imageimageimage

It is al invisibl- there are another 500 players in this picture.

Not bad for a game with a dying population, hmm?

too bad you can't see those 500 players.  Perhaps they are invisibl?