Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Racism and pedophilia chat is....

Comments

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Normal trolling,a nd such is one thing, but going further int trully taboo areas is complately different. Honestly i would love to see many of the eople that find it funny to use racial or pedo oriented trolling comments to actually have a fed or other offical show up at thier door, and then be hauled off for it. Knwoing that trolling using such materials being able to land you in the same waters as a true racist or pedophile along with much worse people could be good for them. The freedom of speech allows you to say what you desire, but does not meaan you can not be held accountable for what you said, as well as the fact that one person's rights do not supercied the rights of others.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

...actually ok in this game.. Mind boggled!  I've reported several people for absolutely disturbing things and the GMs have said it's ok as long as they change one word in the spelling.  I had a guy tell me in global chat that if I had a 5 year old daughter he would rape her while I slept.. I reported him and received an email that a punishment has been given.. He is still playing today!  This company is truly pathetic..  Just my two cents of course..  It's very messed up the way this genre is heading.

Edit:  Please don't ban me for this post just because I don't agree with the company.. Maybe it's because of the way I was raised  /shrug

Its not the genre, its humanity

It's neither.  I've never heard of a community as bad as Tera's since Barrens chat. 

Having said that, things like the OP wouldn't stop me from playing - I've been on forums 100x as bad as this one -, but I know there's a much higher chance I'm going to run into rude people when I'm doing dungeons, so the whole thing isn't very appealing either.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by goozmania
    Just based on what you said, it sounds as though you picked a fight with someone in chat, in which case I don't really sympathize. If someone just randomly messaged you and said he'd do that with your offspring, then that's another story. As annoying as chat trolls are, what's worse is the "shut up or I'm telling" crowd, as it is just an invitation for insults.

And had that been the case, if he had written a ticket with the harrasing whisper, the time and the name I can almost guarantee you that you'd see the person dissapear from chat for at least a week.  Seen it happen.

So nope, don't buy the story as presented.

As for some responders . . . wait till you get a load of Blade and Soul . . .  but maybe they won't cry because it comes from NCSoft . . .

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

...actually ok in this game.. Mind boggled!  I've reported several people for absolutely disturbing things and the GMs have said it's ok as long as they change one word in the spelling.  I had a guy tell me in global chat that if I had a 5 year old daughter he would rape her while I slept.. I reported him and received an email that a punishment has been given.. He is still playing today!  This company is truly pathetic..  Just my two cents of course..  It's very messed up the way this genre is heading.

Edit:  Please don't ban me for this post just because I don't agree with the company.. Maybe it's because of the way I was raised  /shrug

What lead up to that comment? Obviously you guys were in some back and forth before he/she spewed that line?

People don't just come out and say stuff like that, let me guess you provoked him/her because of the race he/she selected?

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Anaba77Anaba77 Member Posts: 33

TERA ? just ignore peeps on chat and don't even reply them. FIXED.

Ignoring is the worst they could get and at some time they will just stop to spamm that shit since they realize that they are just pathetic free to fap ppl ...

Ignore, don't reply and see the results. It works.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    [mod edit]

There's trolling & there is utterly deplorable sewer-scraping & what has been described is the absolute worst grade of human douchebaggery, probably a bunch of idiots setting out to ruin everyone else's day but there really is no excuse for that & the company should be held accountable for it's failure to address the problem.

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

Crypling your own game by disabling all public chat channels is no solution. I've seen this kind of talk during the NA & EU Betas and it became evidently that both publishers are just plain bad and incapable to manage a healthy community.

Now with F2P it's obvious. Free Accounts, no GMs silencing and removing the offenders - you get the worst of the internet condensed in one tiny starting zone.

Some people are sitting there for days spitting that hate and offending speech in the chat. It's beyond me why someone would do that, but it's more beyond me why they could do it with the same character for days.

Doing stupid jokes about certain bears, is one thing, but these trolls will attack anyone falling for the bait, anykind of -philia verbal attacks will then decent upon them.

It was the right decision to stay away from such publishers. Tera is a good game sadly one i can't enjoy with that kind of "community".

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    The truth is when you have a game with a chracter models which look l9ike 5 year old girls in revealing, overly sexualized outfits and poses then we shouldn't be surprised what kind of people it will lure.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

It's like 4Chan online.

Originally posted by Reas43

As for some responders . . . wait till you get a load of Blade and Soul . . .  but maybe they won't cry because it comes from NCSoft . . .

B&S has a surprisingly tasteful anthropomorphic race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnWu_zIGmlU

Besides, adults seem to be the focus of its sex appeal and there's nothing wrong with sexy adults, especially when males are just as sexy as females.

• Anaba77Anaba77 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by QSatu
    The truth is when you have a game with a chracter models which look l9ike 5 year old girls in revealing, overly sexualized outfits and poses then we shouldn't be surprised what kind of people it will lure.

sorry, it's not the game but it is the people's sick mind...

/just sayin'

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    Originally posted by Anaba77
    Originally posted by QSatu

sorry, it's not the game but it is the people's sick mind...

/just sayin'

When you make a game with lolis it's no wonder loli-lovers will come just for eye-candy.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Its not the genre, its humanity

Finally someone who understands.  Racism, sexism and pedophilism (sp) is becoming more prevalent throughout the world and the anonymous nature of the web encourages it.

Although my main reason for quitting Tera was motion sickness the global chat was a factor. Tera is the worst (from raqcist, sexist and pedophilistic) global chat I have seen it is getting worse in nearly all mmos. My personal opionion is that the pvp centric games are the biggest sinners but, as mentioned, that is my opinion.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

You are so wrong in this.  I logged in for three days and every single day and every single hour in game, someone would be making comments about Elin, usually by someone playing an Elin and the constant Elin dance parties and the topics of discussion were always disturbing and I never once saw anyone prompting them to do it.  It was like a pedophile convention where they could act out their dirtiest fantasies without having to worry if there was a cop pretending to be underage on the other side of the conversation.

Once you leave newbie island that goes away.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i duno what server the OP is on but on Celestial Hills it's not THAT bad.  the assclowns stay in global and you can turn global off.  the actual Area and group chats i've been in so far have been pretty civil and people tend to shut the occasional troll up as opposed to feeding them.

although to me, what would work even better would be a separate server only accessable either for subscribing players, or else accessable to everyone but they have to pay a fee, something small but enough to keep out the brainless wierdos, like 12.95 or something.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by stayontarget

I think they give a day or two global chat ban for abusing global chat.....If you were expecting an account ban over it then you are sadly mistaken.  Not going to happen...thank god.

So talking about raping my children is ok with you?!

its protected speach under the first amendmant, so if the game dont wanna crack down on it its just talk anyway.  as mentioned before, if you dont like it, dont pay the game money or play it, theyll get the message when they only have a few assholes flaming each other in chat not paying to play.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by neorandom

I think they give a day or two global chat ban for abusing global chat.....If you were expecting an account ban over it then you are sadly mistaken.  Not going to happen...thank god.

its protected speach under the first amendmant, so if the game dont wanna crack down on it its just talk anyway.  as mentioned before, if you dont like it, dont pay the game money or play it, theyll get the message when they only have a few assholes flaming each other in chat not paying to play.

No it is not, not in the US. If you said that you would like to rape someone's child that would be considered assault and you could be arrested.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    TERA chat is quite graphic.  It's enough to make me blush at times.  I'm somewhat surprised as to what they allow at times, but since I usually shut global off in MMO's it didn't bother me very long I guess.  Chat certainly doesn't do anything to stop TERA's reputation as a place where pervs and pedo's hang out.  It's kind of a shame, actually.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Shock Jock DJs.

Still an issue?

Yanking chains on the internet.

?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Scalpless

It's like 4Chan online.

Originally posted by Reas43

B&S has a surprisingly tasteful anthropomorphic race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnWu_zIGmlU

Besides, adults seem to be the focus of its sex appeal and there's nothing wrong with sexy adults, especially when males are just as sexy as females.

yea, B&S is far more tasteful with it's sex appeal than TERA is. and the people in chat in TERA have been awful from day 1.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

I've played Tera since it came out.. I've never had someone say a racist/pedophiliac thing to me, nor have I read something as disturbing as what the OP quoted.  Also I don't recall any game company notifying you of their decision to punish players you report as it serves no purpose, so I call bull on some of the things he said.

But as far as the topic goes, turn off global, mute/report people if you want, and play the game, get over it, there are tons of disgusting people on this planet, deal with it.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Yes and that is why Tera is the F2P game it is today. The game is filled with the single WORST community in the genre and they drove as many people away as the game itself did.

Tera, where being trash is acceptable.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by neorandom

We have had this argument before - in game chat is NOT free speech. The company can and should whack the heck out of these people because you are chatting in a product of their IP, not face to face.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Tera can be over the top sometime. I saw 4 people running together in th newb area with the names 

licked.avajayjay

Poked.avajayjay

slapped.avajayjay

and last but not leasf

smelly.vajayjay

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Great another one of these threads. Use the /ignore or /mute feature and move on, I don't know anyone who cares about your personal feelings on some troll in general chat.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Tera can be over the top sometime. I saw 4 people running together in th newb area with the names 

licked.avajayjay

Poked.avajayjay

slapped.avajayjay

and last but not leasf

smelly.vajayjay

AHH I bet it was some teenagers thinking it is cute, when it is just annoying.

This discussion has been closed.