Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Arcane Legends: Totally Playable & Absolutely Fun

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Arcane Legends is the latest entry into the Spacetime Studios stable of mobile MMOs. We've taken Arcane Legends on the road to see how it measures up. Find out in our official review, then leave us your comments.

Arcane Legends, Spacetime Studios’ latest cross-platform mobile MMO was actually released earlier than they had planned. The game was leaked somehow, so they made the decision to release it early on Android and Chrome Play on November 13. Then a couple of weeks later, it appeared in the iTunes store as well. At start, it capped at 15 levels. Their update the week before Christmas almost doubled the world with new areas, new bosses and six more levels.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's Arcane Legends: Totally Playable & Absolutely Fun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• balmorebalmore Member UncommonPosts: 5
    AL is very addictive. I love it.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    runs smooth and looks great on the Galaxy Note 2.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

It baffles me why people are still playing games which looks like they were created a decade ago and give it a 8/10 score in "aesthetics". 

Aesthetics is not independent of graphics you know. A game from a decade ago might have looked great then but certainly would not, in most peoples eyes, do today.

• joshrmtjoshrmt Member Posts: 4

Yamato, you literally do not understand what you are talking about.  Mobile games are designed with severe hardware limitations.  Aesthetics are not about how many special effects or post processing filters you use.  It's about good, clean, functional art which is possible within the bounds of hardware on a given device.

By your standard, if a game doesn't look like Farcry 3 (even on mobile devices!?!) then they should all be rated 1 in aesthetics.  You do realize that simple cartoons can be aesthetically appeasing don't you?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Yamota

It baffles me why people are still playing games which looks like they were created a decade ago and give it a 8/10 score in "aesthetics". 

Aesthetics is not independent of graphics you know. A game from a decade ago might have looked great then but certainly would not, in most peoples eyes, do today.

A game on a phone from a decade ago wouldn't look like this. This isn't a review of a PC game where graphical limitations aren't as low, this is a review of a game made for tablets and phones. Keeping that in mind, yes the aesthetics score is fairly accurate. If it were for a PC game you would have a point. 

• mattatbestmattatbest Member Posts: 13
    I'm Playing this on my Kindle Fire and i ended up playing until my batterey died. good fun game for what it is.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Why I carry a light laptop around, pad or phone games are so so limited.  I have played around with them, but do not find them even close to as useful as the laptop.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Playing it on my Sony Xperia S !  Very fun^^

If you all like this game i suggest you to try "Dark Legends"... a vampire clone as good as this one!

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

How good a game looks has nothing to do with the amount of polygons used, but what you are doing with them.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Anireth

How good a game looks has nothing to do with the amount of polygons used, but what you are doing with them.

Exactly. Some old 2D games look far more stylish than the 3D games of today. GW2 runs on a pretty low polygon count by todays standards, but the artwork more than makes up for it.

Are paintings less impressive if you use less brush strokes? Or less colours? The answer is the same for game graphics, it depends on how it is utilised.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Anyone have a link to the APK?  My Kindle Fire can't get Google Play and Amazon Store doesn't have it yet.

Found it:

http://account.spacetimestudios.com/download

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Cartoonish lowpoly is an art style on its own.  SOE's Free Realms is a decent example.  A Mystical Land is another.  Aeria's Eden Eternal as well.

Aesthetics does not demand a game look like TERA, GW2 or PS2.  It's simply an application of an art style in a 3D environment.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325

Aesthetics is a personal thing. A lot of people talk about "beautiful pixel art", which I dan't understand, as that art looks bad to me. Still, it's a fact. A review is just the opinion of a person. That opinion may be different than yours but it's still valid.

Also I find that I'm more tolerant of low-res graphics on my tablet than on my PC.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

I could not agree more.  I looked at that score for aethetics and said WTF?  It DOES look like a 10 year old game.  Maybe I'm a jaded gamer.  Maybe I just expect for than others.. even still, I see some of the final scores these kiddie games get, on an MMO site, and wonder how the hell they get such high scores.

I want an MMO with Farcry 3 graphics.  Enough said.

• MikeJewellMikeJewell Member Posts: 1

Amazing game,this is one of my best collection of games now.

Wholesale Socks Suppliers

• whoever does reviews must take this in consideration

money ,money,money, this game has good graphics ,and yes it is free to play ,but in order to really get by you need to spend real money, unlike star legends,dark legends and pocket legends , i really dont understand how spacetime studios neglect there older games for this one , when it was the older games members who spent there money for those games ,not for arcane legends. also if you play those games mention dont expect a reply from the developers ,they will only reply to people who play this game. when there older games are being neglted  sadly to say there are still loyal players there.,  there wondering why they have not got a update ,they spent money too, so with this said i would say beware people ,if the developers forgot about there past games ,its only a matter of time until  they do the same to this one

• headbanzheadbanz Member Posts: 11
    Hm, it remember me, a bit, Lunia! Very nice.

"The light shall bring victory!"