Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else feel that MMOs are a HUGE waste of time?

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

It's no more a waste of time then napleonic miniatures or live action role playing. They just like video games are fun, to there respective crowds 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Question was: Do I FEEL they're a huge waste of time?

Basically, yeah - I've had that feeling a LOT. Of course, I could theorize and turn it into a big intellectual debate about what's "worthwhile" and what's not.

Essentially, I don't think we have much of a chance of determining what's ACTUALLY worthwhile.

But I do have a chance of knowing how I feel - and I feel that the time I've invested in games like WoW - has been more of a waste than anything else.

Doesn't mean that it wasn't fun as well - and it was kinda interesting to be a top-dps person. It was like becoming "famous" in a fantasy world, complete with fans and what not. Nothing that actually means much - but it was an interesting experience for me.

But still, it took SO MUCH time and effort to get to that level of play - and I definitely feel it's a huge waste of time - most of the time.

Still do, even though I don't play MMOs much anymore. I still "dream" about a true next big MMO - but it's unlikely to ever come around, and if it does come around - it will be just as much a waste of time as before.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

If I go on a big overseas trip and see a lot of things and do 'tourists' stuff, is that a waste of time?

I don't have anything tangible to show for it.

A hobby is a hobby and an entertainment medium is entertainment.

If you wanting some type of 'enlightenment' in either, prepare to be disappointed.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

I play mmos and games in general to escape the world around me. Just like a good book I can dive into a new world and forget about the troubles around me. Games are theraputic to me, w/o them I would have probably had a much worse life then I have now.  So IMO its not a waste of time. Games help me keep my sanity and ive made some AMAZING friends through mmos. Some of the best times in my life were raiding in wow with guildies who in turn became friends who I still talk to today.

My current GM and I have such a good friendship that me and him are talking about me moving down their to open a Game Studio together. If I didnt play mmos then I wouldnt have such amazing friends as I do now.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

to be sure my time is "wasted" here or there, I need to be sure what is my "non-wasted" time.
    so far I can't confirm that working on something boring in real life is less time waste then playing game.
    if you feel like one particular game is just waste of your time, that means, IMO, said game has nothing to give you, no social life, nor education or fun. Just pick next game or, may be, just take a break until you find new game to provide you with feeling to be interested into playing it.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm pretty sure I'm almost completely burned out/done with the MMO genre.

I just can't do the repetition anymore.

PvE or PvP, it's all pointless grinding and for what? It's not even fun gameplay anymore when compared to the kick ass action / story / gameplay in other non-MMO games.

I think I'm going to go buy the entire Assassin's Creed set for my 360 and actually have fun gaming.

Maybe I'll pick up Bioshock too - never played that one.

Trying to finish a playthrough of Borderlands now. Then maybe Borderlands 2.

Can't wait for SimCity in a few weeks.

Until MMOs can offer me new gameplay that is actually different than what I've been doing in MMO games since '98 I think I'll pass on MMOs for a while.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by galoari
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Real world is a matter of perspective . What does it make it less of a real world?

The code exists, the players around you exist, you have real experiences with them, fuck I've even make friendships over mmos that have lasted more than 12 years now.

You spend your time for entertainment and if you aren't a soloer it will probably be one of the best experiences you'll ever have.

"Something to show for" ,why would you want to show something off,I mean at the end of they day you will be forgotten, but through an mmo you'll be the guy that your friends had those amazing experiences with.

Break the boxes that sorround your mind, and you might one day see that everything a human brain can think of, is just a matter of perspective and a false reality made by his community to serve the few.

Uhm... I think i overdid it a tad...anyway my point is , having experiences with friends is not a waste of time. It's living.

I think MMORPGs are all about relatively short-term pleasure.

Other activities in life provide greater long-term satisfaction.

For example, presenting a piece of academic research work at an exotic location is an experience that you'll remember fondly for years to come.

In contrast, completing the Dead Mines in WoW was thrilling at the time, but how often do you think about it now? And you can't put it on your CV.

Well I'm an Applied Mathematician with a master's on CS, I kinda can :P

Also, you are forgetting that mmos are a hobby and should be taken with meassurement , not interfering with your carreer , especially if you love your line of work.

It's an alternate reality to take your mind off things without getting addicted to LSD .

One more thing, you reffered to WoW, WoW lacked the difficulty that game's before it (and some after) possesed and made the experiences much less unique.

A couple of years ago I would have posted exactly same comment as you.

However, MMORPGs make you lose track of time.

If you are playing a game like WoW, you can check to see how many hours total you have played. You might be very surprised at the result.

And don't forget - there is much more to life than having a decent career. There is family as well.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by vindir
     At least with gaming (or mmo's in this case) I can gain problem sovling, learn and apply basic monetary lessons, hand-to-eye coordination, develop social skills, time managment, team work skills and probebly some other somewhat (if not useful) cerebral skills that can be applied to real world scenarios.

I agree. One time at work, I had to kill 10 rats with a sword.  Then another time, I had to group up with 24 other people to kill a dragon.  

Not sure how I could have done that without MMO's to give me the lessons I needed.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Real world is a matter of perspective . What does it make it less of a real world?

The code exists, the players around you exist, you have real experiences with them, fuck I've even make friendships over mmos that have lasted more than 12 years now.

You spend your time for entertainment and if you aren't a soloer it will probably be one of the best experiences you'll ever have.

"Something to show for" ,why would you want to show something off,I mean at the end of they day you will be forgotten, but through an mmo you'll be the guy that your friends had those amazing experiences with.

Break the boxes that sorround your mind, and you might one day see that everything a human brain can think of, is just a matter of perspective and a false reality made by his community to serve the few.

Uhm... I think i overdid it a tad...anyway my point is , having experiences with friends is not a waste of time. It's living.

I'll give you a very simple example as to why I think MMORPGs ended up being a HUGE waste of time:

• Spend hours farming x in x game. Finally get it. Try to show it to friends/boss/coworker/family, nobody really gives a shit
    vs
    • Spend a year learning how to ride on a starter bike (2cylinder, 650CC max). Upgrade to supersport, superbike, or hypersport. Ride it ANYWHERE, people will stare and give you compliments.
    Really you can't compare the two. And for the record, I am competitive by nature.
    I live to go faster...or die trying.
    Originally posted by Lienhart

I'll give you a very simple example as to why I think MMORPGs ended up being a HUGE waste of time:

• Spend hours farming x in x game. Finally get it. Try to show it to friends/boss/coworker/family, nobody really gives a shit
    vs
    • Spend a year learning how to ride on a starter bike (2cylinder, 650CC max). Upgrade to supersport, superbike, or hypersport. Ride it ANYWHERE, people will stare and give you compliments.
    Really you can't compare the two. And for the record, I am competitive by nature.

Umm my friends give a shit and even some of my family do. Thats YOUR life. I think playing mmos is worth more then learning how to ride a dirt bike as I have NO interest in them. See its all opinion. It seems like you want attention (compliments for a bike?) i dont crave such attention.

Originally posted by DSWBeef

vs

Umm my friends give a shit and even some of my family do. Thats YOUR life. I think playing mmos is worth more then learning how to ride a dirt bike as I have NO interest in them. See its all opinion.

No, it isn't. Go get a supersport (don't start on one please you will die). Get some full gear, count how many stares you get at every red light and how many random "NICE BIKE" comments you get at the same lights.

Now, go try to do the same with MMOs.

P.S. Supersport != dirt bike.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

No, it isn't. Go get a supersport (don't start on one please you will die). Get some full gear, count how many stares you get at every red light and how many random "NICE BIKE" comments you get at the same lights.

Better yet join a band...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

vs

Umm my friends give a shit and even some of my family do. Thats YOUR life. I think playing mmos is worth more then learning how to ride a dirt bike as I have NO interest in them. See its all opinion.

You dont get what im saying. I dont crave attention. I dont give two shits about compliments I get from some bike as I dont ENJOY them AT ALL. You cant argue with that. In MY opinion MMOS are worth more then some superbike. In YOUR opinion its not.

At this very moment I have no thoughts on getting a "supersport" or ever will have those thoughts. You are arguing what is IMPORTANT to YOU. Not to the 7 other billion people in the world. Not everyone wants attention and compliments thrown at them. I sure as hell wont live my life differently just because some Dbag says "nice bike breh"

And just FYI I got PLENTY of compliments on my ULTRA RARE Zulian Tiger in WoW, since its no longer legitly obtainable. People compliment you on your bike I get compliments on my mount. The difference is I dont SEEK those compliment or attention at all. I use the mount because it looks cool not because I want attention.

^

Wrong. It isn't "my opinion" that the majority of society doesn't give two shits about virtual items but do care about:

1. Fitness
    2. $$$$
    3. Materialistic goods (house, car, motorcycle, etc.)
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    What I have learned in this thread - Video games don't build any problem solving or interpersonal skills, supersports are not dirt bikes, and Lienhart's opinions are more valid than yours.
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    What I have learned in this thread - Video games don't build any problem solving or interpersonal skills, supersports are not dirt bikes, and Lienhart's opinions are more valid than yours.

How? Because I believe mmos are worth more of my time then some supersport bike? OMG I must be wrong because you dont like my opinion. Im just gonna write Lienhart off as a troll. He obviously came to a site called MMORPG.COM to troll mmo players.

An opinion would be "This is more enjoyable than that".

What I'm arguing is what you get out from MMOs, viewed by society, is jack shit nothing. This is NOT an opinion. Compared to music, fitness, hell...even sex! MMOs give you near nothing for the amount of time most of us have invested into them.

Now if we started arguing about what's more enjoyable, that would be an opinion.

^

Wrong. It isn't "my opinion" that the majority of society doesn't give two shits about virtual items but do care about:

1. Fitness
    2. $$$$
    3. Materialistic goods (house, car, motorcycle, etc.)

In this world sure its more "accepted" to be a fitness Dbag then it is to be a gamer. But does that effect my lifestyle at all? NO because I ENJOY mmos and I do not ENJOY working out, getting a superbike, or getting all the chicks. Does it matter if 10 people like my items or 20000 people like my bike? No it doesnt because all that matters is if I like them.

Originally posted by Distopia

Better yet join a band...

Used to sing a lot and do competitions. Got sick of the metro "boy" image.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

How? Because I believe mmos are worth more of my time then some supersport bike? OMG I must be wrong because you dont like my opinion. Im just gonna write Lienhart off as a troll. He obviously came to a site called MMORPG.COM to troll mmo players.

It's ok, he seems to employ strawman fallacies with some regularity, even though he probably has no idea what that means.  You stated that MMOs are more important to you and your friends/family than bikes, that it's your opinion.

He states that it isn't an opinion, because the majority likes money and material possessions.

the crowd looks puzzled by this stupid conclusion.

He may not be a troll but he's obnoxious and not at all bright.

[mod edit]

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

Anyone else ever feel the same way?

I'm disabled now, so, there's isn't a hell of a lot else to do for me.  But, even before my disability, I still came home from work and played these games.  I enjoyed them, and spending time with my wife (now ex) was like hanging out with a pile of dirt.

Nowadays, I think most MMO's are cookie-cutter-mass-appeal garbage, so I don't spend much time with them.  They just can't hold my interest, because no skill is required anymore, as compared to the old games that started it all.  New games are robotic and linear.  Like I'm following a script, instead of exploring, doing whatever I want, etc.  Man, I miss dungeons (not scripted linear instances).  Running instances over and over again, doing the same exact thing you did the last time (and every time), is mindless to me.  I compare that to dungeons in EQ, and it's night and day.

Honestly, I would MUCH rather get a few guys and hit the bars, because, even at my age, I still *love* doing that.  Getting a good buzz on, having fun, watching a live band, and of course the best part, hanging with women.  I meet different women and party with them each time I go.. the big BUT here being, no one my age goes out anymore, and I'm also getting too old for it... meaning, I don't feel comfortable there with morons 1/2 my age, even though I don't look my age.

I have the same problem with doing stuff outside in the summer.. simply no one do to do anything with.  I get bored doing stuff alone, nor is it any fun.  So, back to gaming.  Now I get to game with my kids too, so that's fun for me, and I get to spend time with them too.  Winter sports lost appeal with me many years ago.  I figured out that to ski/board, the long drive + the intense cold + the expense > any enjoyment I got from it.  In other words, it's just not worth it for me - oh yeah, and that there's still no one to go with.

Young people who read this.. what ends up happening as you age, is you and your friends all get married, have kids, and stop doing anything together any more.  Getting your buddies to do anything without their family (or even with them) is almost impossible.  It's such a pain to sync up, or people don't really care to try.

I don't regret dumping hours into MMO's because I enjoyed my time with them.

What kills me is the people who spend hundreds of dollars on virtual items and they long since stopped playing that game.  So, they really pissed their money away.  Some people who played EQ1 spend 4 figures easily (I know some).  I'd rather have a high end gaming rig, boss entertainment center, move up to the next model of car I want, etc.

Anyway....

[mod edit]

Yes Im going on 20. But im not your sterotypical 19 year old who thinks the world owes hime something. I know im gonna have to work hard and long to get going in life in my chosen career field. If I use my free time to game instead of partying as I enjoy games more then thats up to me.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Unless you work doing your dream job, then we cant complain...

Replacing what we love doing (playing MMOs/games) to do what we dont like doing just to make a living, to keep on doing what we dont like, is not a good way of life.

The way I see it, we should work hard to have a stable and prosper life and then try the best we can to do the things we love doing whilst keeping our bills paid.

Not everyone is tailored to be a pro gamer or something like that, but we can and do enjoy gaming. :)

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Eladi

As mutch a waiste of time as watching tv,  reading books (non education books/tv) or making post about waisted past time on forums. If you feel unsatisfied be a Hero  and act.

I forgot to mention this in my other post.

Games are interactive.  I'll take any kind of interactivity over something non-interactive.

I simply do not watch TV anymore, except for SNL (DVR), and I watched Fringe on DVD recently.  You just sit there.  No interaction.  That bores the hell out of me.  But, that's me.  I'm not dissing TV (in general) or the pleasure anyone else gets from it.

What I do think is trash that rots your brain to a pulp, is "reality" TV.  That stuff is pure hateful, judgemental garbage that teaches moronic competitve behavior that basically amounts to no real "reward", and no real winners, for *most* of them.  It also teaches you how to be mean, and treat others like shit, and that life is purely about winning and losing, and mindless competition.

But, I digress ;)