Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Definitely another bad year for MMORPGs.

Comments

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

2012 wasnt to bad. TSW I think is great. Rift:SL is awesome. MoP was a step in the right direction for Wow. 

2013 is shaping up to either be great or bad. Defiance looks good, Archeage looks amazing, TESO if done right will be awesome, and of course all updates to current games to look forward to.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    2011 was a bad year though
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Looks like a great year ahead, can't wait!
  • BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Bossalinie
    Originally posted by beej1986

Remember when companies paid players to beta test games?

I also remember walking to school barefoot in the snow...uphill even...

this guy...so trendy.

Birds of a feather when it comes to MMO nostalgia...

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Don't play betas and the game will be fresh at launch.

Don't preorder and wait for the the first proper reviews, not a preview, and you will not be disappointed with the game.

I have been saying this for about eight years, it's not exactly rocket science but have the lemmings worked it out yet? Clearly not.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    It's only Fubruary. Let's see how the year plays out before declaring 2013 a poopy year for MMOs, shall we?

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

aren't people tired of another "sky is falling" rant?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Still the most reliable of all basic troll topics, on this site.

As long as we get to say either "rawr ur so rite me too!" or "no way ur crazy!", we're happy campers.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by DMKano

OP,

2012 was a great year for MMOs, 2013 will only be better. As will 2014, and 2015....

If you are so disappointed, just don't play MMOs... I know crazy idea, but MMORPGs are not exactly essential to life.

Taking a strong stance on human Rights issues is one thing, but doing the same over an entertainment issue is just pertinacious.

What is next, going to the streets because Beyonce didn't perform your favorite song?

Wow, the people on this forum are really "special". 

Where did i say I was dissapointed? You telling me games are not essential,oh my god, what an epiphany!

What do human rights have to do with game developers delivering bad products and trying to profit on lies and hype with payed betas and false advertising?

What does your beyonce comment achieve other than make you look like a troll?

I thought i made my point clear what i think is going wrong in the gaming business especially with MMOs, but aparently people like you have nothing better to do than post snearing remarks and belittle any intelligent post while not even able to comprehend what they read.

I shall leave it at that, since this clearly is a waste of my time.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

And where might that rant be? Maybe you should go back and read my post but this time try to understand what all those funny letters and wrods mean.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I agree with the hive mentality on the site. I also would put in that many of the people that complain never try the games they complain about or if they did, they played 10 hrs a day for 2 months, got bored and are now complaining what a bad game it was. People in this site are not the norm for gamers.

I think people on this site, should dump their preconceived notions and try a game they dislike. I think they are afraid they might actually like the game they hate.

2012 had some unique games come out, like them or not. TSW with it's skill wheel and interesing premise, GW2 with no quest hubs, scale down playing (you scale down to the area and NO TRINITY, TERA with another belnd of combat and graphics.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Games are not bad ,just some players  must  to learn mmo's cant replace RL,they should play games for fun ,nothing else.

Last year was good for mmorp's TSW for me is best  new mmorpg  after 2005. , GW2 is great game but  I dislike it,just not for  me but not bad game.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Shareholders ruining all the fun.

Good games are back once its about the game again and not about the CROWDMILKING.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    2012 was the best year for MMOs since 2004 IMHO,, had several MMOs with plenty of new ideas for the genre.. i feel 2013 with a slew of promising games coming  will build on what we saw in 2012.. I feel 2013 will be the best year for MMOs ever:)

I think we live in different realities, for me 2012 was more of the same wearing a different skin or in disguise masquerading as somthing better than it was. 2013 doesn't look much better.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by bcbully

I agree.

Now if the paid beta is like AoW. More polished and more content than 3 of last years games put together, for $9... I'm crossing the line and buying in...

Let's talk about NDA too. NDA means your game is bad plain and simple. 

Fun fact: Every game has a set of "QA" testers that are bound by an NDA.

You would know this if you were actually good at games.

My take is that the quality of an NDA will often reflect the quality of the game that it attempts to protect. For instance some will ask you to simply click a check box, while others will have you fill out massive amounts of legal paper work along with you having to verify yourself with ID.

Personally I would love to see more games have public testing after a live launch as any form of public testing can create a more accurate representation of population habbits and the causal effects of the population on any set of scripting.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Sorry OP, it will never work.

There are far far too many people that are either consumer whores, consumers who feel they have no power or outright fanboys.

Those are the people most companies target anyway.

I mean, just look at Apple, they became the largest company on the planet via fanboys and consumer whores willing to pay insane prices for slightly above average products that for the most part, are not bringing anything new over the previous iteration they overpaid for last year!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by mbd1968

2012 was the best year for MMOs since 2004 IMHO,, had several MMOs with plenty of new ideas for the genre.. i feel 2013 with a slew of promising games coming  will build on what we saw in 2012.. I feel 2013 will be the best year for MMOs ever:)

I think we live in different realities, for me 2012 was more of the same wearing a different skin or in disguise masquerading as somthing better than it was. 2013 doesn't look much better.

all about preferences.. Been gaming since the 80s I wouldn't expect everyone to enjoy the same things as me or have the same values in games... Not sure how that's a hard concept for people..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53

The problem with more recent MMORPGs is that a game's hype frequently belies the quality of the game itself. A player's expectation of a game is usually changed once they play it, more often than not, for the worse.

It's all too easy to believe that a game will be the next big thing, only to find out that it is the same dreck we have been spoon-fed by developers for years. I don't like this "founder pack" trend, but MMO companies are just that: companies. They are in the business of making money. People will continue to spend money on games that are not yet ready to be released, just to play them in beta phase in hopes that the developer is able to produce a game that lives up to its hype.

all about preferences.. Been gaming since the 80s I wouldn't expect everyone to enjoy the same things as me or have the same values in games... Not sure how that's a hard concept for people..

This.

I found i have more fun with MMOs than ever. There is a huge backlog of free ones that i don't even have time to sample. Gaming is good.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

It's not a hard concept, this post was also not about that. It was about the practices these gaming companies are using right now to get as much money as possible before the game is even released. The promises made and the blatant lies about features that never make it into the final product.

Not sure how that's a hard concept for people looking at the facts and seeing that something is going horribly wrong.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by taus01

It's not a hard concept, this post was also not about that. It was about the practices these gaming companies are using right now to get as much money as possible before the game is even released. The promises made and the blatant lies about features that never make it into the final product.

Not sure how that's a hard concept for people looking at the facts and seeing that something is going horribly wrong.

Since you calling their advertisement flat out lies, I would love to hear some excamples.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by taus01

Well if you'd stuck to the point about crowdsourcing and paid beta scams yourself, the discussion wouldn't be so muddled. But you couldn't resist editorializing further by calling the thread "Another bad year for MMORPGs" and adding "No, I like the game released in the last few years" as the negative answer to your mini-poll.

Yes, crowdsourcing and paid betas are a scummy new trend to separate naive MMORPG fans from their money. No, the games in the past year didn't all suck: GW2 and TSW both were worthwhile and innovative in their own ways.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58

yes an I agree on something is going wrong when game companies expect $200 or $300 for a beta (it may be as simple as they ran out of money for there project and can or need help funding the project to make they're game) mmoprg cost tons to make and if it's funding they need to up frfont and say we would like to give u our product but it cost more money then we have please help and we make the choise to help or not.  your saying it isn't right or we should not spend money on games or what we like and spend money on. hint I supposted Darkfall:unholy war and dislike it so I just canceled and said after this no more money. I spent money on age of wushu and have not regreed it same goes for Defiance and Neverwinter. but in the end it's my choise and anyone else that decided to suppost them.

Originally posted by BlackcatZero

yes an I agree on something is going wrong when game companies expect $200 or $300 for a beta (it may be as simple as they ran out of money for there project and can or need help funding the project to make they're game) mmoprg cost tons to make and if it's funding they need to up frfont and say we would like to give u our product but it cost more money then we have please help and we make the choise to help or not.  your saying it isn't right or we should not spend money on games or what we like and spend money on. hint I supposted Darkfall:unholy war and dislike it so I just canceled and said after this no more money. I spent money on age of wushu and have not regreed it same goes for Defiance and Neverwinter. but in the end it's my choise and anyone else that decided to suppost them.

No they are not expecting everyone to pay. No one is forcing you to pay. It is a free world, isn't it? What is wrong with charging whatever for the beta product a dev is producing?

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

For 2012:

My total expenditures for MMOs: $0.00.
    Total MMO play time: 0.0 hours.
    Hours spent on these forums: LOTS.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    it was a figure of speach. yes noone is forcing u to pay that much or anything.