Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Blame All of You! So, Which OS?

2»

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Windows 8 is simply amazing.  I was holding off buying it due to the hatred it got by some of my friends, but I have to say it's incredibly more efficient than Windows 7 was in almost every category.  The first week I absolutely hated it, as everything seemed like it was brand new and I even had to look up tutorials on how to access things such as the "search computer" menu and even how to turn the darn computer off!   But in the end, after about a month in, it's even easier to do all this stuff than it was on Windows 7.

Not to mention that on games such as Guild Wars 2 I'm getting zero stuttering with the same system (Lion's Arch would stutter at certain areas, even with a clean install of windows 7), and there is absolutely no dipping since I've installed windows 8 on this beast.  Performance wise it's the best option for gaming, but in terms of actual FPS gains, there will probably almost none if not just a couple here and there with only specific titles (there are also some older games that might not be compatible, but I haven't run into any personally).

My specs have been the same for both operating systems:

I7 3930k

32GB 1833 DDR3 Ram

Two 670 EVGA FTW in crossfire (x16, x16, x8 Mobo)

2 TB HDD slaves with a 250GB SSD Master

Sabretooth TUF Series x79 Mobo

The only problem I have had with it is the inability to access the windows 8 store.  I'm thinking that I need to completely reinstall the operating system to access it.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by BitterClinger

Ok, I have changed my shopping cart based on Quizzical's hardware recommendations. Here is the new BOM:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.  Posting here has already paid off quite a bit.

You should be aware that a Core i7-3770 basically can't be overclocked.  If you're fine with that, then go ahead, but to overclock, you'll need a 3770K.

Or a Core i5-3570K, for that matter.  Basically the difference between the two processors is that the Core i7 has hyperthreading.  Windows won't use hyperthreading in programs that don't scale to more than four cores (as it's only possible effects would be bad), but Intel says it can improve performance by up to 30% in programs that scale flawlessly to eight cores.

Thanks for the heads up.  I got my first AMD 386-40 Mhz CPU on an ASUS motherboard and fell in love with over-clocking. A few years later I fell out of love with overclocking, and AMD, and ATI. Of course, there was not much support for overclocking in those days, but I haven't overclocked anything in 15 years; and I don't intend to start now.

The hardware on that list should be arriving Thursday.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

If you already own a Windows 7 x64 license, use that.

If your buying new, I would recommend getting Win8 just because it will be supported for a few more years, but can't argue against the case for getting Win7 either.

If you boot to desktop and ignore all the Metro crap, Win8 is essentially the same as Win7 with just a few minor tweaks under the hood.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

If you boot to desktop and ignore all the Metro crap, Win8 is essentially the same as Win7 with just a few minor tweaks under the hood.

^ This ^

You can even install a WIn7 start menu to make it feel the same.  I hate the WIn8 start menu and I feel it decreases organization.  I may as well have all my icons on the desktop.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Although I would use Windows 8 at this point, Windows 8 is more a fresh start so some things are not tweaked quite right yet and probably won't be until Windows 9.  What Windows 8 does is make going from your phone, to your TV, to your tablet, and to your computer a seamless process that would otherwise take a bit of time and 3rd party applications to setup.  However, this integration is lost in a few places with the 3 different and incompatible OSes; and the UI on the desktop.

Considering you decided to skip Windows Vista with your last build, jumping onto something new like Windows 8 probably would not be a good idea.  Especially if you do not own other products that use a Microsoft OS, like Windows Phone or an XBox360.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Sasami
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Like others have stated if you already have a license for Win 7 Pro laying around use that. Win 8 is OK but also as others have said it may be wise to wait for the first service pack to release later this year before making it your OS. With Microsoft OS's it's usually after the first service pack that most of the bugs from launch get ironed out and the platform gets a whole lot more stable. You really can't go wrong with Win 7 Pro on a gaming PC at this point in time. Upgrading to Win 8 after the first service pack releases would be reletively painless as well as you won't even need to lose your files during the upgrade.

Bren

Utter bollocks on Service Pack stuff, Win7 was fine in RTM and so is Win8. Get Win8 Pro, you get Hyper-V to run virtual machines for older games. If you play games mostly you spend all time in desktop tile so it's not any different than Windows 7.

It's bollocks to tell someone to use something they already have that will perform just as well instead of buying something else because it's "New and Shiney"? Win 7 Pro will also run the virtual XP machine as well you know. I didn't say there was anything wrong with Windows 8 just that the first service pack will work out a lot of the issues some people are having with it just like service pack 1 did for Windows 7. Yes, there were a lot of driver compatability issues when Windows 7 realeased just like those people are experiencing now with Windows 8. The first service pack generally sorts these out.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Microsoft is taking a bit different approach with Windows 8 then they did with previous OS.  In Windows 7 you would get a huge service pack, but in Windows 8 they have planned to do major updates monthly instead of the huge service pack rollout.

Much, much better!

I've finished upgrading my hardware.  Everything is working perfectly (so far).  Even though Windows 7 won the poll by a 2-to-1 margin, I went ahead and installed Windows 8 Professional.

Here are a few key points:

• 60 FPS in Black Citadel; 120 FPS  in Plains of Ashford (no sluggishness or stuttering whatsoever in Black Citadel).
    • Windows 8 will take some adjustment on my part; already reached frustration level a few times
    • Highly recommend the Microsoft Sidewinder Keyboard; great key action and very comfortable
    • Still trying to adjust to the Naga mouse; it's too small... still trying to give it a chance
    • SSD - it was so small, I had no way to mount it in the case; I just connected power and SATA cable and tossed it in loose
    • CPU runs very cool; fan triggers low-speed alert on motherboard (I adjusted the threshold)
    I'm very happy with the new system, and I appreciate all the help I received from everyone here!  Thanks a bunch!

UPDATE: Samson Go Mic - No drivers for Windows 8

Still need to try Path of Exile and Neverwinter.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I say Windows 8. Just so you know Windows 7 is only going to be supported till January 13, 2015. Might as well get use to Win8 now.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by monochrome19

I have Win8 and how do I feel about it? It's crap. It's bull#@$% !!

Me personally, I prefer Win XP. Win 7 is alright I guess.

Win XP has a simple interface and I've never had a problem with it, everything supports it, etc...

Other OS's make life more complicated than it needs to be...

/end rant

Hey now, there is some benefit to Windows 8. 

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/lenovo-thinkvision-lt1423p/4505-3174_7-35567049.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9_EaC7mLOw

If you plan on getting a Lenovo ThinkVision LT1423p Mobile Monitor then Win 8 is a no brainer. Beyond that though, no it really doesn't have a great deal of purpose yet. 

Everything runs better (games included) on Win8. Only thing majority of people hate about Win8 is Metro UI. Once you learn it, it actually is pretty sweet.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Brenics
    Everything runs better (games included) on Win8. Only thing majority of people hate about Win8 is Metro UI. Once you learn it, it actually is pretty sweet.

agreed, i was on the fence till i took the plunge...and even on my older system, everything runs better. The ui like mentioned countless of times above , takes some getting used to...but after using it for about a month, i am used to it and it seems second nature.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

• SSD - it was so small, I had no way to mount it in the case; I just connected power and SATA cable and tossed it in loose

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.  There is typically an adapter you would use to mount the SSD in the standard HDD bays or in some cases they can be mounted directly to the inside of the case such as the back side of the MB tray.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=ssd+mounting+kit+for+3.5+drive+bay

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Not really. Having both I can say the only noticable difference between the two is boot time which is negated if you use an SSD.  It gives the illusion of running better for some because they do a clean install and update their drivers. Currently Win 8 runs worse than 7 but only because its a new OS and has a lot of conflicts still. Those will be ironed out fairly soon I would assume. 

What Win 8 brings to the table currently is simply a better touch screen experience with windows and nothing more. 

• pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63
    Well I love windows 7 but I still haven't tried windows 8 , but from what I have heard n read about it, I don't think I even want to try it.
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Not really. Having both I can say the only noticable difference between the two is boot time which is negated if you use an SSD.  It gives the illusion of running better for some because they do a clean install and update their drivers. Currently Win 8 runs worse than 7 but only because its a new OS and has a lot of conflicts still. Those will be ironed out fairly soon I would assume. 

What Win 8 brings to the table currently is simply a better touch screen experience with windows and nothing more. 

The most recent test i could find between Win7 vs Win8 is here http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-speed-and-performance-testing/ and it does agree with you that gaming runs faster on Win7. But over all Win8 is better in all the rest. Granted this was in January and personally I think gfx drivers have become better in Win8 (at least for Nvidia). My games do seem to run better in Win8. But that could be becasue I have found the rest of Win8 to be nice once I got use to using it.

So in conclusion I disagree when u say it brings nothing more than the touch screen.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Windows 7 Pro...I am running it on all my PCs are we've been rolling it out at work and it's awesome.  I played around a bit with Windows 8 and really didn't care for it.
    Originally posted by miguksaram

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.  There is typically an adapter you would use to mount the SSD in the standard HDD bays or in some cases they can be mounted directly to the inside of the case such as the back side of the MB tray.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=ssd+mounting+kit+for+3.5+drive+bay

Yeah, the one I ordered did not come with an adapter.  It was just the 2.5" drive.  I've got an adapter on the way now. It should be here tomorrow.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by miguksaram

Yeah, the one I ordered did not come with an adapter.  It was just the 2.5" drive.  I've got an adapter on the way now. It should be here tomorrow.

Ah good to hear.  I don't think most actually come with those adapters tbh.  Typically modern cases tend to come with one or two specifically designed for them (although universal ones are just fine).