Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Falling in love in MMOs?

So I was browsing a channel of a certain youtube user named "henryabccba" who made some awesome AoC fan videos, and found this video where he shares a more personal story about himself :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzF8cX1TuRk&list=UUYVYgFTVlUnCFM9zR-OFdTg&index=14

I thought " wow that´s unusual" - but maybe it´s not that unusual at all, so anyone else ever fell in love in an MMO?

With all the recent valentines day stuff in some MMOs (Rift and TOR) I wonder if MMOs are also "dating platforms"?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Comments

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I really don't think its that far fetched just like any chemistry like dating over website etc. you are exposed to their personalities etc. to form a bond
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Dating in MMO is kind of like playing sports by watching it on your TV.
  • KarnijKarnij Member Posts: 6
    I remember HenryX from my AoC days.  Great player and a nice guy.  Congrats there HenryX.

:P

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I married A friend from lotro this April will be or 5th year of marriage! So it can happen I think it jst takes the right chemistry.
  • Anaba77Anaba77 Member Posts: 33

Henry :D o man, AoC memories ...

btw it happened with 2 other guys I knew, too:

Decap and Evilmoon xD

Decap (Futilez if I rememeber correctly) with a pretty girl named Bearhugs (if I remember well) and Evilmoon (GM of Vendetta on Fury) with a brazilian girl who collected all SHOES she could get on her char :D

Awesome and funny guys

/10chars  Uncass

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Abimor
    I married A friend from lotro this April will be or 5th year of marriage! So it can happen I think it jst takes the right chemistry.

woah! Congratulations!  You still playing lotro together now?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I met my wife  on UO(some 10 years ago).
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Abimor

woah! Congratulations!  You still playing lotro together now?

We do still play Lotro, right now we are also trying out vangard.  

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

While I never have found love in an MMO. I have had 2 married women that i grouped with regularly  try to take it further, and wanted to attempt to hook upThe Wierd thing is I never hit on them or really ever flirted. I just treated them like I would anyone else. Now I have hooked up with a girl once that was in a guild I was in while playing WOW. that was before TBC. We became friends with benees. I kinda felt like I was robbing the cradle with her because I was like 29 or so and she had just turned 19, but she was hot. I lived in Pensacola at the time and she had just started college ant Florida state university in Tallahassee, which is only like 3 hours away. She actually came to pcola the first time to go to the beach, which I used to be on the beach all the time.  I own jet skis and, I took out jet skiing she ended up staying over for a few days.

With my job I have the opportunity to meet people I game with from time to time. Which can be cool but can also be Wierd. Like when I met a guild leader I had once. She was one of the married ones. I got a load thru where she lived once. She came and picked me up, took me to her house to have dinner with her family, her husband was a gamer too. When she drove me back to my truck she came on hard to me. After that day she  kept trying to get me to get a load thru her town And take some time off. After we met she started trying to cyber me in game. I eventually left her guild. She was a good looking woman, smart and funny, and  i honestly did not like the idea of possibly destroying her family.  Which it could have by easily lead to that. 

The  time  before that was way back in the days of EQ1. I had just gotten out of the army was in the process of going thru a divorce. A girl (who was married)  but also seemed unhappy in her marriage, that I grouped up with all the time started talking about us meeting up, because not only in gaming but other things we shared a lot of the same interest and likes.  I told her she needed to finalize any issues she had with her marriage, either fix it or get a divorce. One day she told me she cheated on her husband, then she stopped logging on.

What have I Learned from all this. 2 things. 

1. Women like being treated normal, they seem to get more attached if you are not constantly flirting with them or showering themWith attention.  I tend to just be friendly with everyone I game with, and social. However I don't  go around using cheesy hugging and  blowing kisses. Emotes, which I see people do all the time.

2. This sounds bad, but if a married woman is willing to cheat with you, and you don't do it. There is a good chance she will go cheat with someone instead. So if you can live with yourself, you might as well.  Sometimes I look back at these 2 instances and a few other instances that arose that had nothing to do with gaming, and wonder why I said no or backed away, when almost everytime they ended up cheating anyway with some one else. Guess just depriving myself of some fun due to morales. Almost seems pointless now.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Many of my friends met their spouses during Ultima Online when it first came out.  Since then I've been reading stories of very much the same happening in other games, especially World of Warcraft.

I actually met my girlfiend in WoW some time ago.  It's mainly about not being a jerk online or worried only about self progression, and actually being a decent person who cares about others and helps them out.  For instance, I still don't have a mechano-hog in game, but I've bought at least five for some friends, whom I have never met, in WoW.  That's just some of things I tend to do.  It was in one of those deeds were I met her and we grew closer over time and eventually we decided to hook up (moving across the country is probably the hardest part, when the time is right to do so).

Though part of the fun of online games is in fact helping people for me.  So I don't think it should be forced if it's not the type of person someone is.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I believe it happens but not often. Hell I would love for it to happen to me. Finding that special someone in game and is genuine can blossom into somethng magical since you already have games in common. I guess distance effects a lot of these events but some do continue on. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

virtual world is almost like real world: anything possible there too.
    advantage: you can look *deeper* into your partner personality from the 1st step.
    disadvantage: you can associate your partner with his/her avatar, and forget that in real life we can eat. sleep, getting old or ill, we can smell etc.

if MMO works for you like a 1st step to meet someone, all good;
    if it "all about love", I guess you'll be prisoner of your imagination and in love with your own fantasy, so it can't work because real person will be way too different from what you think about him/her, so it can be great disappointment or drama.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Dating in MMO is kind of like playing sports by watching it on your TV.

lol

Dating?  Maybe not so much, but meeting people on an MMO is a perfectly valid way to meet someone.  Not only are they people too, but they obviously share an interest.  If you never intend to meet though, maybe it's a little weird to the non-gamer.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I personally think it's a beautiful thing when two lonely souls settle for someone they met online.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

There's an MMO documentary called "Second Skin" which has a pretty good segment about people who met in an MMO and started RL relationships.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

I personally think it's a beautiful thing when two lonely souls settle for someone they met online.

Settle seems like a bad choice in wordage. If 2 people connect online doesn't mean they will connect if they meet up.

I know I for one would have to have not only Interests but also have chemistry and attraction to another person  before itnwould go somewhere. Some may call that shallow, but it's honest reality for most people.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825

People do meet partners, some even marry those they meet in MMO's. It's rare but then MMO's were not exactly desgined to cater for the starting of real life relationships.

Love has won through, as it were.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I personally know and have had dinner with a couple that helped me get into EQ when it came out back in the day. They met on EQ, got married, and were married for 8 years. There are a few other couples I have met in game but not personally that met through EQ as well, so I would say yes online games make a decent dating platform if you actually know the people behind the character.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

Met my husband 10 years ago in Ultima Online  He PK'd me in dungeon Despise and used to chase me and my guildies around the star room.  

UO was a smaller community than any MMO I've played since, though. 

He lived in the midwest and I was on the east coast. 

This April will be our 7th year wedding anniversary and we have a sweet 2 year old. :) 

As long as two people are happy & healthy and their relationship thrives -- more power to them. <3

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

There is something really wrong with you if you fall in love in an MMO, seriously wake up.

I can understand you find someone interesting and fall in love after you meet her/him and spend some time together.

But IN an MMO? Come on take a break, don't avoid life so much.

• powerlines8powerlines8 Member Posts: 2
    Heres a biography on mmo players falling in love. It's also a video that gives a good perspective on gamers for people that don't play.  
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Can't say I've ever found someone that fell in love in an MMO, but I have met quite a few people that fell in love online using services like IRC and other chat systems, and at least two of the cases that I still keep contact with moved with them (one of them to another country), and are now happily married for years, one of them expecting their first baby in a few months.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    i met my wife on a mmo. we've been happily married for years. i know others who have as well. its not uncommon. shes european and im american. glad i met her, i cant stand american women.