Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Cannons Lasers Rockets. Enough Said.

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In a sort of "outside the box" look at a non-MMO with a hefty bit of nerdy goodness.  It's got ships, it's in space, and it's full of lasers, rockets, and cannons... it's Cannons Lasers Rockets.  The developers over at NetGamesLab talked to us about their game, and why it should catch your attention.

MMORPG: We love the name Cannons Lasers Rockets. What made you go with something so simple?

Being simple is the whole point in our approach to the development of Cannons Lasers Rockets. Somehow, while other genres and settings are being approached by game studios from both sophisticated and simplistic points of view, space combat is almost universally treated as complex, you might say, hardcore gaming are. As we wanted our game to be as streamlined as possible, we asked ourselves - “What are the three most fun things in space combat as we see it?” - and then, you see, we just made the answer to that question the name of the game.

Read the rest of Garrett Fuller's Interview with the Cannons Lasers Rockets team.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• madmikethegmmadmikethegm Member UncommonPosts: 43

"and it's full of lasers, rockers, and cannons..."

Rockers in Space! I like the game already.  :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

"First of all, we made quite a rdical choice and “cut off” the Z-axis"

err ok.... this game started off sounding ok but the further you get into the interview the worse it sounds.. I have had enough of dumbed down games I dont need anymore LOL..

Still im sure there are some out there that will like it..

Good luck to the devs..

• cyrex6cyrex6 Member Posts: 9

So you have a space setting, but your spaceships move like boats....gl with that

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Its a pretty bold move to remove Z-axis movement in a space based game, I understand the reason I just hope the gaming community wont hold it against them.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

The ships move like boats anyway. No inertia, no physics. It also looks like it's tab target and not twitch combat.

Pass.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Dragonantis
    Its a pretty bold move to remove Z-axis movement in a space based game, I understand the reason I just hope the gaming community wont hold it against them.

Didn't EnB do something similar? I believe there was actually a floor and ceiling to space, meaning there was an easily  reachable limit to how high or low you could fly.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Dragonantis

Didn't EnB do something similar? I believe there was actually a floor and ceiling to space, meaning there was an easily  reachable limit to how high or low you could fly.

So did Homeworld (game of the year in '99).

As much as mmorpg.com automatic-reflex-poohpoohs it (same instinct we have for everything else), that isn't necessarily a bad thing for fleet-level combats.

Not imply this thing is (or is not) half the game that Homeworld was, of course. But the snap judgements, meh, we know what they lead to.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    2D space combat, maybe SWTOR might buy them out