Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else feel that MMOs are a HUGE waste of time?

Comments

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Lienhart
    Originally posted by vindir
    I suppose the same slap in the face coudl be applied for anyone who spends countless hours of  T.V, movies, facebook, etc. At least with gaming (or mmo's in this case) I can gain problem sovling, learn and apply basic monetary lessons, hand-to-eye coordination, develop social skills, time managment, team work skills and probebly some other somewhat (if not useful) cerebral skills that can be applied to real world scenarios.

No....just no.....

Get out a little bit more and you'll understand what I mean. You have some valid points but to throw Facebook, development of social skills, time management and team work skills into there...just hell no (and I'd argue against hte monetary lessons but I can see how that would work).

For every comment like this, it seems there are proponents for video games in education, though.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/minecraft-in-education-how-video-games-are-teaching-kids-6400549/

In a classroom environment, video games can help to develop all of the things vindir mentioned, just like any tool.  Maybe you should expand your mind a bit.

You're using gamespot as a credible source? Dude -_-

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Its funny but most f2p games I play don't feel like a waste of time because I can always go back to them, but the p2p MMOs I played felt like a total waste of time and money because I don't want to pay to play them anymore.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Anything I do and enjoy is never considered a waste fo time.

As far as "showing something for my efforts"; I do things where there are tangible benefits but that is one part of my life.

Watching a movie, reading a book, listening to music, these are past times that have nothing to show for them other than the enjoyment of partaking in that particular activity.

Games are the same.

I also don't believe in beating myself up over things I've done or not done. Life is just one big experience and we are all marching toward the same fate.

You might as well enjoy yourself in a manner that you see fit while you are marching there.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Video games in general are made to waste time. You play them to have fun and pass time. If you feel like you are wasting your time while playing games, or feel the need to do other things then your intirests have obviously changed. Just don't play games anymore, no reason to come onto a forum and tell people that you feel like they are a waste of time. Especially if it is a forum for that hobby.
  • Todd_FuryTodd_Fury Member Posts: 17

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

Anyone else ever feel the same way?

Of course. That's the entire purpose of MMOs.  

Edit: I felt the need to elaborate on this after posting it. A LOT of people that I know are starting to get bored of MMOs, and I personally believe that WoW is responsible for this. Every MMO that comes out now is pretty much the same thing and it's all because of WoW. In the entire 6 YEARS that I played Ultima Online, very rarely (until Trammel came out at least) did I get b ored or feel like I was wasting my time on something worthless. I believe this is because there was real risk vs reward in that game, and an actual community to it. The world felt alive every time I logged in. 

Sure, I knew that I was technically wasting my time playing a game, but it didn't feel like that. 

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    I know I am just repeating what everyone else on here has said but...  MMOs are easy to do and cheap to do.  If you are expecting to get anything significant out of this cheap source of entertainment then you are lying to yourself.  If you are unhappy with your situation and your life you need to change your lifestyle.  If you are spending most of your time playing games you can expect yourself to be unhappy.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I suppose the same slap in the face coudl be applied for anyone who spends countless hours of  T.V, movies, facebook, etc. At least with gaming (or mmo's in this case) I can gain problem sovling, learn and apply basic monetary lessons, hand-to-eye coordination, develop social skills, time managment, team work skills and probebly some other somewhat (if not useful) cerebral skills that can be applied to real world scenarios.

No....just no.....

Get out a little bit more and you'll understand what I mean. You have some valid points but to throw Facebook, development of social skills, time management and team work skills into there...just hell no (and I'd argue against hte monetary lessons but I can see how that would work).

For every comment like this, it seems there are proponents for video games in education, though.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/minecraft-in-education-how-video-games-are-teaching-kids-6400549/

In a classroom environment, video games can help to develop all of the things vindir mentioned, just like any tool.  Maybe you should expand your mind a bit.

You're using gamespot as a credible source? Dude -_-

Strawman much?

How does PBS grab you then? 

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2011/06/the-case-for-videogames-as-powerful-tools-for-learning164.html

No?  How about:

http://gettingsmart.com/cms/blog/2013/01/how-minecraft-is-teaching-a-generation-about-teamwork-the-environment/

Maybe that's no better... an expert like you will need more evidence - we could also try:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-31/tech/video.games.smarter.steinberg_1_video-games-interactive-simulations-digital-world?_s=PM:TECH

Wow, hey what do you know?

"Contrary to popular belief, though, many build, not burn brain cells by requiring extensive problem solving, teamwork and dynamic decision-making skills.

Also capable of building players' confidence and helping them see the world from multiple viewpoints, games can be powerful learning tools."

But I'm sure your extensive research of "No no, get out more" is at the forefront of disproving social sciences.  Either way, you're wrong and I'm not sorry.

/anime face

• AralvarAralvar Member Posts: 34
    How could having a good time be considered a waste? If someone enjoys playing MMOs all day, what's wrong with that? As long as they can support themselves, they're free to do whatever activity they choose. Anyone who tells you what hobbies you're allowed to have or else you're a loser, is a moron. Really, either nothing is a "waste of time", or everything is. Playing a sport could be considered a waste of time, run around for a few hours and win or lose a game. Sounds like playing a video game but with exercise (lol)! Going to the gym every day could be a waste of time. Nice muscles you got there, too bad they won't prolong your life span. You're still probably going to die in your 70s or 80, 90s if you're "lucky". And you just spent a few hours of your short life, building muscle mass which is likely to be used for nothing more than looking "buff". Life is short, enjoy it. If you enjoy playing MMOs, FPS games, or anything else that's supposed to be "not productive", go ahead. If you want to play and watch sports, and go to the gym, go ahead. There's nothing wrong with living the kind of life that you enjoy, as long as you're not doing it at the expense of others.
  • dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Life is gigantic waste of time in general and it all amounts to nothing anyways. Your point? Gaming is fun and fairly easy to get into compared to other hobbies. Also, its the best form of escapism there is. A friend of mine likes cars too while I couldn't care less if a damn bacteria was carrying me from point A to point B.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I have a lot to show for my time spent on MMO's.  Great friends and great memories, chief among them.  Hell, most of us still meet in Vegas or GenCon every year or two.

If you have nothing to show for any hobby, the problem isn't the hobby; it's how you spent your time with it.

You make me like charity

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

All the time.  I started with UO, and I've played to cap on more games than I really care to think about.  I've stopped typing /played in WoW... Its too damn depressing.  But I must say, that over all, I've enjoyed myself.   I have thousands of screen shots, and I have many great memories from guild mates and such over the years. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its a computer game what where you expecting? Playing a computer game does nothing for you in the real world... well other than maybe kill your social life..

I have never felt this way as I have never expected to have any reward in the real world for playing an MMO...

Saying that most MMOs are a waste of time these days as most suck pretty bad.. still a few upcoming ones are looknig pretty good.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't understand why kids do it....but as someone that's older it's a nice hobby you can do and be around the house.

I did all my motorcycle/ski and snowboard racing as a younger person. They all hurt too much now :)

They're a waste of time but so is everything else. As long as you're having fun it's all good...but.... if you do all your old person hobbies as a kid you'll wish you did more kid hobbies when you get old. So yes....games are a waste of your youth.

Really? I can't imagine how riding or track racing could EVER become old or something I'd give up. But then again, everyone that's older has who used to ride told me they sold their bikes once the kids came in: I guess the solution is to avoid kids lol

Believe me, you give certain things up, when it becomes obvious that you don't heal up, nearly as fast as you once did... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Agreed. :)

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I've been playing MMORPGs since 2003 and I agree - they are a total waste of your life. Life is finite - it's easy to forget that when you are in your 20s and 30s.

Initially, they are excellent fun, and I was thinking about WoW even when I wasn't playing it.

It was like an extension of my childhood.

After about 9 years, you suddenly realise you've got older and your parents are looking elderly, and you think, "Oh my God, where has all the time gone?"

This realisation doesn't creap up on you - it suddenly hits you one day. Before this revelation you don't notice time passing at all.

I don't agree with people who say that other leasure activities are an equal waste of time. For example, if you spent your time in a cycling club instead, you could easily meet the man or woman of your dreams there.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    my mom,  dad,  ex-girlfriend,  ex-wife,  and current wife. 
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I frequently talk to parents who's kids are in their teens and are heavily into video games.

Most discussion are 'I don't want them to play games.'

Answer: If they are home playing video games, you know where they are. That's number one. Number two, why not let them play video games from 7-9pm? That way, they will most likely be home before dark and ready to eat dinner with family.

Last I checked, an entertainment product is suppose to entertain me. As long as it does that, I don't see it as a waste of time.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Only if that's all you do with your time.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    I'm just trying to come up with a better reason to not play games.. cant think of one.
  • galoarigaloari Member UncommonPosts: 72

Real world is a matter of perspective . What does it make it less of a real world?

The code exists, the players around you exist, you have real experiences with them, fuck I've even make friendships over mmos that have lasted more than 12 years now.

You spend your time for entertainment and if you aren't a soloer it will probably be one of the best experiences you'll ever have.

"Something to show for" ,why would you want to show something off,I mean at the end of they day you will be forgotten, but through an mmo you'll be the guy that your friends had those amazing experiences with.

Break the boxes that sorround your mind, and you might one day see that everything a human brain can think of, is just a matter of perspective and a false reality made by his community to serve the few.

Uhm... I think i overdid it a tad...anyway my point is , having experiences with friends is not a waste of time. It's living.

Originally posted by jpnz

I frequently talk to parents who's kids are in their teens and are heavily into video games.

Most discussion are 'I don't want them to play games.'

Answer: If they are home playing video games, you know where they are. That's number one. Number two, why not let them play video games from 7-9pm? That way, they will most likely be home before dark and ready to eat dinner with family.

Last I checked, an entertainment product is suppose to entertain me. As long as it does that, I don't see it as a waste of time.

Childhood up to age 11 has plenty of free time - and I think it's normal to play lots of games then. At this point, the argument is 'MMORPGs vs. Lego?' etc. And it all depends on your opinion.

From age 12- to 18-years, doing your homework is really important. It's important to get into a learning habit that you enjoy and benefit from. I'm a graduate of medical school, so I could go off-topic about this extensively.

Originally posted by galoari

Real world is a matter of perspective . What does it make it less of a real world?

The code exists, the players around you exist, you have real experiences with them, fuck I've even make friendships over mmos that have lasted more than 12 years now.

You spend your time for entertainment and if you aren't a soloer it will probably be one of the best experiences you'll ever have.

"Something to show for" ,why would you want to show something off,I mean at the end of they day you will be forgotten, but through an mmo you'll be the guy that your friends had those amazing experiences with.

Break the boxes that sorround your mind, and you might one day see that everything a human brain can think of, is just a matter of perspective and a false reality made by his community to serve the few.

Uhm... I think i overdid it a tad...anyway my point is , having experiences with friends is not a waste of time. It's living.

I think MMORPGs are all about relatively short-term pleasure.

Other activities in life provide greater long-term satisfaction.

For example, presenting a piece of academic research work at an exotic location is an experience that you'll remember fondly for years to come.

In contrast, completing the Dead Mines in WoW was thrilling at the time, but how often do you think about it now? And you can't put it on your CV.

• galoarigaloari Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I think MMORPGs are all about relatively short-term pleasure.

Other activities in life provide greater long-term satisfaction.

For example, presenting a piece of academic research work at an exotic location is an experience that you'll remember fondly for years to come.

In contrast, completing the Dead Mines in WoW was thrilling at the time, but how often do you think about it now? And you can't put it on your CV.

Well I'm an Applied Mathematician with a master's on CS, I kinda can :P

Also, you are forgetting that mmos are a hobby and should be taken with meassurement , not interfering with your carreer , especially if you love your line of work.

It's an alternate reality to take your mind off things without getting addicted to LSD .

One more thing, you reffered to WoW, WoW lacked the difficulty that game's before it (and some after) possesed and made the experiences much less unique.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

A good point.  I've often considered the mindset of people who want "something to show for" in life.  Their position is not wrong necessarily, but it's ultimately futile since we're only here for a limited time.  Those cars, ipods, and college degrees will eventually become nothing but debris, but what you do, not what you have, is what you're more likely to be remembered for.  Sometimes the best parts of your life can't be seen by anyone but you and your loved ones, and you can't put a value on that.

Well, that turned out a bit sappy, but I stand by it lol  The point is, if you're enjoying the company of others, do it regardless of what society thinks of your hobby.  Who is ANYone to put limits on your life?

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    If you can't find a way to enjoy your time by having fun, talking with others, learning new things, self improvement (within game) etc. than any hobby may be viewed as a waste of time.

My criteria for whether something is a waste of time is "can I eventually make money because of what I'm doing?".  It can be directly learning a craft, or simply building contacts or skills that can later help me.  For example, my first real job came from being recommended to a manager by a person I knew through pencil-and-paper gaming..

That said, I have a very hard time convincing myself that my current relationship with MMOs is healthy.  At one point I used to keep a journal that was sort of a running dialogue between my alts about what they'd seen unfolding in the game world in the previous week and I clung to some vague and fuzzy notions of someday trying to turn it into a novella, but I got discouraged somewhere along the way.