Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Racism and pedophilia chat is....

GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

...actually ok in this game.. Mind boggled!  I've reported several people for absolutely disturbing things and the GMs have said it's ok as long as they change one word in the spelling.  I had a guy tell me in global chat that if I had a 5 year old daughter he would rape her while I slept.. I reported him and received an email that a punishment has been given.. He is still playing today!  This company is truly pathetic..  Just my two cents of course..  It's very messed up the way this genre is heading.

Edit:  Please don't ban me for this post just because I don't agree with the company.. Maybe it's because of the way I was raised  /shrug

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Comments

• vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I was one of those who picked it up only becuase it came f2p to check it out. If it was something I could get into (which it was) then I was looking to sub. However the one thing that has stopped me so far is exactly what you mentioned. The far reaching racism and over the top sexuality (raping a five year old?) is way overboard with no attempt to cnsor or issue discipline. I have decided to table Tera for a couple weeks to see if this is just a mass influx of asshats becuase of f2p. Maybe in a couple weeks the chat will get better. Oh, and this happens in all channels that I can see, and while grouping.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    That has to be the single worst thing i've ever heard. So out there i have trouble believing it. I've played tera, albeit not very long, but my experience there was on par with what ive experienced in other mmo's(as far as player attitude goes). Surely this was something you would have screenshotted for evidence. Not to prove to me it happened, but to be distributed to whatever media you need to get it to to get the piss poor moderation of the game improved.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    ...actually ok in this game.. Mind boggled!  I've reported several people for absolutely disturbing things and the GMs have said it's ok as long as they change one word in the spelling.  I had a guy tell me in global chat that if I had a 5 year old daughter he would rape her while I slept.. I reported him and received an email that a punishment has been given.. He is still playing today!  This company is truly pathetic..  Just my two cents of course..  It's very messed up the way this genre is heading.

What you said doesn't pass the smell test.

it's ok as long as they change one word in the spelling

if I had a 5 year old daughter he would rape her while I slept

what did they change in the spelling? I don't see R@pe or something like that.

Also what did you say in chat that got that response?

Learn to turn global chat off ingames and you will find it way more pleasureable.  WoW has the same issue with its ANAL [Insert skill name here] thing.

If that doesn't work I suggest not using the internet because getting offended over it shouldn't ever happen. If you give people over the internet to control your emotions then you really shouldnt be there.

Whenever I get something like this I just eyeroll and move on.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I've recently started playing Tera and I agree... a little. I've managed to find a good, nice, and respectable group of people who want to play together, but I have seen some weird things in Global Chat and Area Chat. If you dont like it, leave chat, I keep party chat up most of the time for reasons like this.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Just based on what you said, it sounds as though you picked a fight with someone in chat, in which case I don't really sympathize. If someone just randomly messaged you and said he'd do that with your offspring, then that's another story. As annoying as chat trolls are, what's worse is the "shut up or I'm telling" crowd, as it is just an invitation for insults.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Edit:  Please don't ban me for this post just because I don't agree with the company.. Maybe it's because of the way I was raised  /shrug

I think they give a day or two global chat ban for abusing global chat.....If you were expecting an account ban over it then you are sadly mistaken.  Not going to happen...thank god.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Xirik

What you said doesn't pass the smell test.

it's ok as long as they change one word in the spelling

if I had a 5 year old daughter he would rape her while I slept

what did they change in the spelling? I don't see R@pe or something like that.

Also what did you say in chat that got that response?

Learn to turn global chat off ingames and you will find it way more pleasureable.  WoW has the same issue with its ANAL [Insert skill name here] thing.

If that doesn't work I suggest not using the internet because getting offended over it shouldn't ever happen. If you give people over the internet to control your emotions then you really shouldnt be there.

I'm sorry for being unclear.. That wasn't a spelling thing. It was said like that and OKed.. The spelling things that have been cleared are things like "We are Big Nick Diggers.. We are recruiting! Hide your underage children.."

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    The global chat is extremely immature and vulgar, worst I have seen in any MMO. I turn it off and only have party chat onscreen.  I did report someone though as their guild name had something to do with babys buttholes.
    Originally posted by stayontarget

I think they give a day or two global chat ban for abusing global chat.....If you were expecting an account ban over it then you are sadly mistaken.  Not going to happen...thank god.

So talking about raping my children is ok with you?!

Originally posted by Xirik

Yes, to a degree. Like you said, similar comments are found in other games, such as WoW like you mentioned. However in all the years of mmos and games like AIon, lotro, GW2, WoW amoung others I have played, Tera's community and chat at this time just seems way too much. If I were to be subjected to this kind of speech in rl I'd levae the vicinity, which is what I am doing for a bit with Tera. To have someone next to me comment that "if a little girl in rl looked like that loli I'd boing her." To each there own, but for me, that is too offensive. Maybe because I have a kindergarten daughter. Its either one sick mind that needs to be watched and locked up, or some sick kid trying to intice an enraged response just for lolz - and I suppose thats why I will not be playing Tera for awhile.

Overall I think its a good game. But I can see where they will lose some player base possibly to this type of in game behaviour.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

If you can't troll along with chat or take it all with a large pile of salt then why bother? Here's what I did:

then look under System Information

then uncheck.

Voilà. You're welcome.

Originally posted by NBlitz

If you can't troll along with chat or a take it all with a large pile of salt then why bother? Here's what I did:

then uncheck.

Voilà. You're welcome.

I'm not an idiot.. Thanks though. My problem is with the company and how they handle people like that.

If you can't troll along with chat or take it all with a large pile of salt then why bother? Here's what I did:

then uncheck.

Voilà. You're welcome.

I did what you say to do. Turn off global. But you still see it in other channels, in pug groups and people standng next to you in /say.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

How does one incident in one very pedo friendly game equate as a decline in the genre ? Because of one game and its lax moderators/customer support my whole genre of gaming is now equal to it ?

Please refrain from broad sweeping generalizations when talking about seriously disturbing issues like pedophilia. I do not play games that associate with it and neither do others.

Lolipops !

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

the worst i've seen in chat was several guys just throwing racism to the max.  Just shouting how they were so happy that the BR's were burned in the tragic club fire and that they were happy because it reminded them of the Jews and how they were burned.   Then went on for 4 hours straight saying "All BR are dead, I'm so happy BR are all dead, they are like stupid Jews". 

I've never ever seen such deplorable trolling in my life it wasn't even funny, there is trolling but this is straight out hate.  I sent a ticket to the GM and stated that I would not be continuing my subscription once itended due to the lack of moderation (more like no moderation).   They did respond and have improved their moderation but the best action is to take a screen shot and have it submitted as they do take such "trolling" seriously and since then those "troll" players have been permanently banned from the game.

If you can't troll along with chat or a take it all with a large pile of salt then why bother? Here's what I did:

<>

Voilà. You're welcome.

I'm not an idiot.. Thanks though. My problem is with the company and how they handle people like that.

Yes it's a problem. But as a company I doubt they would go banning everyone who so much as farts in someone else's direction.

The best cure I've found for trolls is simply to ignore them. They crave attention. Take that away and they disappear.

Originally posted by vindir

then uncheck.

Voilà. You're welcome.

I did what you say to do. Turn off global. But you still see it in other channels, in pug groups and people standng next to you in /say.

Oh dear, this is sad indeed. I haven't encountered this on the EU side. I play on Fraya.

<>

Voilà. You're welcome.

Yes it's a problem. But as a company I doubt they would go banning everyone who so much as farts in someone else's direction.

The best cure I've found for trolls is simply to ignore them. They crave attention. Take that away and they disappear.

Whatever.. I'm aleady done with this thread. It's sad that people like you are ok with this behavior.. Take care

<>

Voilà. You're welcome.

Whatever.. I'm aleady done with this thread. It's sad that people like you are ok with this behavior.. Take care

If by people like me you mean sensitive flowers then yes. I have done something about it and I know how to deal with people like that now. Which is what I've been trying to share.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

well duh when you have this as one of the Races .....

of course they aren't going to see Pedophilia as a problem. sorry but any game designer who makes a "child-like" race "sexy" gets no money ever from me

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Toxia
    That has to be the single worst thing i've ever heard. So out there i have trouble believing it. I've played tera, albeit not very long, but my experience there was on par with what ive experienced in other mmo's(as far as player attitude goes). Surely this was something you would have screenshotted for evidence. Not to prove to me it happened, but to be distributed to whatever media you need to get it to to get the piss poor moderation of the game improved.

When I was in the beta and when I returned for a couple of days after it went F2P, the chat was nothing other than a continuous spewing of filth about sexualized children thanks to the rampant number of Elin running around.  All of this going on while at the same time a GM would be having discussions with other people in open chat and completely ignoring the filth being bandied about.  It was disgusting and despicable.  Obviously, Westerners lack the maturity needed to deal with Elin or any asian game that flaunts sexualized school girls in their games.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

<>

Voilà. You're welcome.

You are so wrong in this.  I logged in for three days and every single day and every single hour in game, someone would be making comments about Elin, usually by someone playing an Elin and the constant Elin dance parties and the topics of discussion were always disturbing and I never once saw anyone prompting them to do it.  It was like a pedophile convention where they could act out their dirtiest fantasies without having to worry if there was a cop pretending to be underage on the other side of the conversation.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Its not the genre, its humanity

Originally posted by Vorthanion

()

()

()

You are so wrong in this. 

Or maybe not? I'm playing the game and not worrying about what some random internet troll on the other side of Europe is saying in Global, thereby trying to get his daily attention quota.

I logged in for three days and every single day and every single hour in game, someone would be making comments about Elin, usually by someone playing an Elin and the constant Elin dance parties and the topics of discussion were always disturbing and I never once saw anyone prompting them to do it. ()

Once they started it, how would the chat respond?

It's so easy. So so easy. 

Off to work. Good luck with the topic, folks.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Its not the genre, its humanity

The internet tends to get the worst oput of people too...

But that is no excuse, they really need to ban the worst offenders for good. They will loose plenty of players if they dont get rid of the worst one.

I have to agree with OP, someone talking about raping children should be IP banned for good. We MMO players should be thick skinned about comments but some things you just dont say, not ever.

This discussion has been closed.