Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You'r view on Ascended items?

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Okay, so every time I go to the GW2 forums I come over threads where people say they will/have quit the game because of Ascended gear. 

My question to those players; How does ascended gear hurt you? 

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    have really not noticed a single difference in the game since they were put in.. aside from people wanting to run fractals but overall nothing seems to of changed(for me at least).. i have also yet to hear anyone in any of my guilds really even talk about it at all.. everyone seems pretty content with their exotics.. also really only seen a single person on these forums at least say they quit because of ascended gear.. they just like to repeat it over and over and over

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

My cousin and I have already tested the Ascended vs Exotic. Out of 20 duels with myself wearing Full Ascended + Exotic against him in only Exotic I beat him 11 times out of 20.

Vice versa him wearing Full Ascended + Exotic and myself wearing only Exotic I bat him 14 times out of 20.

Pretty much proving that the stats on Ascended gear don't really do much of anything.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

After being a part of several lengthy forum discussions on the matter in effort to hone in on the precise causes of players' consternation, the general conclusion I've come to is that it has very little to do with the practical implications of ascended gear and very much to do with feeling betrayed or deceived by Anet.  Whether they innately care about the addition of ascended gear or not, they are offended that Anet at one time claimed one design philosophy, then changed it.  How significantly or slightly seems to matter little.  They focus on the simple fact that there was an inconsistency in Anet's message from time A to time B, interpret one of them as a lie, and choose to feel outraged at The Man.  

I honestly feel sorry for game companies.  During development, there are cries for information and transparency.  During the course of a game's development and lifespan, hundreds of things are going to change.  They just are.  That's how iteration works.  If the company opens its mouth to provide information at any point, which I remind you players are begging for, and then go on to change that feature (slightly or drastically) at any point in the future, there are sure to be droves of passionate players who pull up the original quotes and call the company a liar and a trator.  So sad.  

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

here we go again, endless gear farm...
    I don't really care as for my 0.30-3 hours of some DE I don't even need exotics.

But I see people quite for this reason as they think it like at WoW (which is sure not).
    From other point of view, some quite because of too many bugs/broken events and such.

As good news, I noticed a lot of new players from Asia lately, so may be they will save the world.

Seems like these pink quality items turns you to creature from the mist: all glow all shiny. =XD

Also I think game is not even half-cooked, at least some late Betas ran smoother for me, so IMO would be nice to fix existent content before add even more bug and broken issue. Also it only me, may be many loves broken content.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Originally posted by Homitu

After being a part of several lengthy forum discussions on the matter in effort to hone in on the precise causes of players' consternation, the general conclusion I've come to is that it has very little to do with the practical implications of ascended gear and very much to do with feeling betrayed or deceived by Anet.  Whether they innately care about the addition of ascended gear or not, they are offended that Anet at one time claimed one design philosophy, then changed it.  How significantly or slightly seems to matter little.  They focus on the simple fact that there was an inconsistency in Anet's message from time A to time B, interpret one of them as a lie, and choose to feel outraged at The Man.  

I honestly feel sorry for game companies.  During development, there are cries for information and transparency.  During the course of a game's development and lifespan, hundreds of things are going to change.  They just are.  That's how iteration works.  If the company opens its mouth to provide information at any point, which I remind you players are begging for, and then go on to change that feature (slightly or drastically) at any point in the future, there are sure to be droves of passionate players who pull up the original quotes and call the company a liar and a trator.  So sad.  

i could see feeling betrayed IF ascended gear turned gw2 into a gear treadmil focused type game but it didn't.. not at all so really don't see what the big fuss is

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

i dont think the issue is the acutal power of the items, but the fact that once you start with the gear treadmill it becomes hard to stop(see WOW).

played a million mmo's

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I personally don't get it. If anything having gear you earn makes the game less Pay 2 Win and gives you something to earn. Its less pay 2 win by making it so you can't just 'buy' your stuff by spending real money on gems (which is pretty big on a game for an advantage when the best stuff and all you need is gained through money that way). It promotes actually playing and gives you something to work for.

Again, GW2 isn't at all my game and perhaps in that way I might not really hold a good view in terms of having 'better' gear to earn, even if its a small upgrade. Sure it wasn't my favorite thing to have gear being pretty much "Bam, there you get it almost right away if you earn money for it" but it was never the reason I didn't like the game, and I just don't really seeing it being a big reason why people actually play the game as well.

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

I quit spending because of ascended gear.

Right now I don't have the game installed on my machine.  That's not to say I'll never play it again, but I'm not spending any more money until something like an expansion comes along that actually justifies opening my wallet.  I don't care whether it's balanced, unbalanced, good for the game, bad for the game, or even whether it has WvW consequences.  Ascended gear is a bait and switch and an abandonment of the principles that caused me to be interested in the game.  So I'm not spending any more money on it.

Peace and safety.

Originally posted by Xhieron

Right now I don't have the game installed on my machine.  That's not to say I'll never play it again, but I'm not spending any more money until something like an expansion comes along that actually justifies opening my wallet.  I don't care whether it's balanced, unbalanced, good for the game, bad for the game, or even whether it has WvW consequences.  Ascended gear is a bait and switch and an abandonment of the principles that caused me to be interested in the game.  So I'm not spending any more money on it.

huh? why would you need ot spend any money on the game at all? I have only spent $30 total aside from the box price and that was just for some bag/bank slots.. also how is it a bait and switch at all? you don't need ascended gear for anything in the game aside from the top fractals.. so basically less than 1% of the entire game.. you really don't even need exotic gear to enjoy most everything the game has to offer

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Ascended gear hurts me ( the last piece, specificlly, the amulet) because i have 6 characters who need one, and the only way to get them is to log in every single day and do some stupid daily chore to get 1 laurel. I must do this everyday for a month, for one amulet. I must do this 6 months in a row to get 6 for each of my character.

You asked, i answered.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Homitu

i could see feeling betrayed IF ascended gear turned gw2 into a gear treadmil focused type game but it didn't.. not at all so really don't see what the big fuss is

The position isn't intended to be rational.  It's an unfiltered emotional reaction to a perception.  They'll be damned if they're going to be taken for fools by some company.  

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    My cousin and I have already tested the Ascended vs Exotic. Out of 20 duels with myself wearing Full Ascended + Exotic against him in only Exotic I beat him 11 times out of 20.Vice versa him wearing Full Ascended + Exotic and myself wearing only Exotic I bat him 14 times out of 20.Pretty much proving that the stats on Ascended gear don't really do much of anything.
    Yeah because its not like theres any other factors in a duel.

Makes me wonder if the often talked about "dungeon overhaul" was put on hold for Ascended gear.

Why spend the time and effort overhauling the dungeons that only drop Exotic gear when you can allocate those resources to new dungeons or systems that drop Ascended gear.

Which of course is going to happen, ArenaNet said they would eventually fill out all gear slots with Ascnded gear. They were just going to go about it slowly.

Which, in turn, makes me wonder about the rumored expansion for later this year.

"Hey, look, new Ascended gear! Oh, you thought you could run these dungeons for free. Silly gamer, buy the expansion."

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Ascended items basically is 'gated content'.

GW2 is now all about segregation because if you want to do a certain content, you have to have agony gear.

It is a very drastic turn in game philosophy and pretty much throws their 'manifesto' out the window.

Just look at ANet's response so far; 'yeah it is a gear grind but it isn't as bad as it could be so it doesn't count!'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

My cousin and I have already tested the Ascended vs Exotic. Out of 20 duels with myself wearing Full Ascended + Exotic against him in only Exotic I beat him 11 times out of 20.

Vice versa him wearing Full Ascended + Exotic and myself wearing only Exotic I bat him 14 times out of 20.

Pretty much proving that the stats on Ascended gear don't really do much of anything.

Makes me wonder if the often talked about "dungeon overhaul" was put on hold for Ascended gear.

Why spend the time and effort overhauling the dungeons that only drop Exotic gear when you can allocate those resources to new dungeons or systems that drop Ascended gear.

Which of course is going to happen, ArenaNet said they would eventually fill out all gear slots with Ascnded gear. They were just going to go about it slowly.

Which, in turn, makes me wonder about the rumored expansion for later this year.

"Hey, look, new Ascended gear! Oh, you thought you could run these dungeons for free. Silly gamer, buy the expansion."

Just making a point that the Ascended gear gives absolutely no noticable advantages. In fact, my highest crit with Hundred Blades came when I was not using the Ascended gear.

Lets put it this way. I use some vitality on my accessories and upgrading 3 pieces of exotic to ascended gave me a grand total of 80 HP. I mean do I even have to say anything else about this gear? 80 HP?

It gives no advantage and IMHO I wish I could go back and say screw the gear, because it isn't even worth all the gold you have to spend to get it and upgrade it. It's not even worth the amount of fractals you have to run.

They put this gear in to make the "gear tredders" happy which is perfectly fine with me. As long as it gives no advantage and this stuff literally gives no advantage.

Just making a point that the Ascended gear gives absolutely no noticable advantages. In fact, my highest crit with Hundred Blades came when I was not using the Ascended gear.

Lets put it this way. I use some vitality on my accessories and upgrading 3 pieces of exotic to ascended gave me a grand total of 80 HP. I mean do I even have to say anything else about this gear? 80 HP?

It gives no advantage and IMHO I wish I could go back and say screw the gear, because it isn't even worth all the gold you have to spend to get it and upgrade it. It's not even worth the amount of fractals you have to run.

They put this gear in to make the "gear tredders" happy which is perfectly fine with me. As long as it gives no advantage and this stuff literally gives no advantage.

False, all of it. Ascended gear is 13% more stats than exotic. Being 13% stronger than someone isn't much, but when looking at the big picture, it certainly makes ALL the difference. Used to, if you wore Rares, you were only 13% weaker than exotic. that was okay. Now, with the slow introduction of ascended gear, you will be outstatted by 26%. 26%. Instead of 1k hit, you are 1250 hit. That's a considerable amount. That's NOT including the extra % crit rate on gear, which makes that 1250 EVEN MORE. It's called a Power Creep, and you got it by the busload now. People who were in rares are FORCED to update to exotics, or be at a big disadvantage. Simple.

But keep on with the 'no advantage' thing you are spouting. I'm sure someone is buying it.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by andre369

Okay, so every time I go to the GW2 forums I come over threads where people say they will/have quit the game because of Ascended gear. 

My question to those players; How does ascended gear hurt you? 

The power difference is minor, but I would have preferred that they never existed. Gear treadmills are a yawnfest.

This one involves relatively long grind for pretty low power increase. I see why they did it, it doesnt imbalance anything, but it gives people something to work towards.

Personally I would have preferred vertical progression focus.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Toxia

False, all of it. Ascended gear is 13% more stats than exotic. Being 13% stronger than someone isn't much, but when looking at the big picture, it certainly makes ALL the difference. Used to, if you wore Rares, you were only 13% weaker than exotic. that was okay. Now, with the slow introduction of ascended gear, you will be outstatted by 26%. 26%. Instead of 1k hit, you are 1250 hit. That's a considerable amount. That's NOT including the extra % crit rate on gear, which makes that 1250 EVEN MORE. It's called a Power Creep, and you got it by the busload now. People who were in rares are FORCED to update to exotics, or be at a big disadvantage. Simple.

But keep on with the 'no advantage' thing you are spouting. I'm sure someone is buying it.

13% more powerful for 1/3rd of your stats. 1/3rd of your stats you get from traits, 1/3 you get from set bonuses on gear, the other 1/3rd actually comes from the gear itself. So it doesn't work out to much in the long run. I barely got 1% more actual stats out of upgrading to ascended after the conversions.

Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Toxia

13% more powerful for 1/3rd of your stats. 1/3rd of your stats you get from traits, 1/3 you get from set bonuses on gear, the other 1/3rd actually comes from the gear itself. So it doesn't work out to much in the long run. I barely got 1% more actual stats out of upgrading to ascended after the conversions.

uhm...no. Your calculator is broken. Traits dont count, you will never get more trait points. STacking them into one, or spreading them out, you have the same trait points as the next man, no matter the gear. Runes do not offer 1/3 of your stats. From superior runes of the doylak, for instance, the point total is 195. That's nowhere near 1/3 of a characters stats.

Sorry.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    have really not noticed a single difference in the game since they were put in.. aside from people wanting to run fractals but overall nothing seems to of changed(for me at least).. i have also yet to hear anyone in any of my guilds really even talk about it at all.. everyone seems pretty content with their exotics.. also really only seen a single person on these forums at least say they quit because of ascended gear.. they just like to repeat it over and over and over

Got ascended Rings, backpiece and do not notice a difference between now and before.  Will not get it on my Guardian or Thief as it isnt needed at all.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Ascended items were a knee jerk reaction to the "progression via gear" crowd leaving the game after 1 month or so after the game launch.

Obviously ascended items did nothing to bring those players back, since what those players want is to "rule over the plebes" that have no time to spen in gear progression and so control the access to gated content (which GW2 lack).

After all, what is difference of killing mobs with a sword +200 or a sword +201? It was never about better stats for those players.

They are still a slap in the face to people that have multiple main characters (yes, multiple main characters has been a reason to play GW1 & GW2). since they are still too grindy.

It is hard to see significant differences currently between full exotics and exotics+ascended. Might be more visible once all the ascended items are in the game.

I would prefer if ascended items simply had exotic stats with a place for agony resistance, but I guess Anet don't want to back out now.

It is also interesting Anet tried to use ascended items to remove crappy stats from the pool like +HEALING POWER so we could stop seeing shout heal warriors everywhere but people keep crying for them.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Catering to the WoW crowd, been muling over the idea of going back to GW1. If you think it's going to stop here you're extremely naive.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

It would be better that they didnt exist, but what is important is availability of the items and ont thing they said is that they will make them available through every avenue (mostly how you get exotics now) but will probably take a bit longer to get them. I guess they realized that crowd that cheered for gear progression wasnt even satisfied with ascended gear because it offers so unimportant upgrade and its not needed anywhere but higher level fractals. But since fractals aint even best way to grind anything its really a moot point in itself.

It all depends how will they continue from now on and i think they learned their lesson, every move they did so far points to it so im not overly worried, GW2 is mostly skill based games and actual stats mean a lot less than in most other MMOs (not that its 0 importance but certanly not something to bang your head against).

The actual "problems" might arise when whole ascended set is available (and lets face it, it might be years from now heh, that goes under "how will they continue with it").

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Xhieron

huh? why would you need ot spend any money on the game at all? I have only spent $30 total aside from the box price and that was just for some bag/bank slots.. also how is it a bait and switch at all? you don't need ascended gear for anything in the game aside from the top fractals.. so basically less than 1% of the entire game.. you really don't even need exotic gear to enjoy most everything the game has to offer

I'm not really trying to be argumentative here, but wasn't one selling point that there would be no content locked by gear requirments? While it may be a small amount of content, it sets a precedent to add more IMO, especially if people aren't speaking out against it.

That said I can see how people would view this as a road down bait and Switch avenue. The whole reasoning argued over this games development was that gear treadmills were a carrot used to string along subscriptions. Yet they went down the road of testing the water for it. Which basically throws those original statements down the drain if followed up on.

All I can say about it is if they continue down such a road, it would render many of the Anet talking points pre-launch moot. It would prove those comments as simply being a decisive way to turn people away from the competition and sell some boxes. It would certainly serve up some humble pie at the very least. As it would show games may need those carrots to keep people around, regardless of the fee. This is all speculation of course, as they may steer away from going down such a road.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Distopia

I'm not really trying to be argumentative here, but wasn't one selling point that there would be no content locked by gear requirments? While it may be a small amount of content, it sets a precedent to add more IMO, especially if people aren't speaking out against it.

That said I can see how people would view this as a road down bait and Switch avenue. The whole reasoning argued over this games development was that gear treadmills were a carrot used to string along subscriptions. Yet they went down the road of testing the water for it. Which basically throws those original statements down the drain if followed up on.

All I can say about it is if they continue down such a road, it would render many of the Anet talking points pre-launch moot. It would prove those comments as simply being a decisive way to turn people away from the competition and sell some boxes. It would certainly serve up some humble pie at the very least. As it would show games may need those carrots to keep people around, regardless of the fee. This is all speculation of course, as they may steer away from going down such a road.

Fractals aint gated by ascended gear. You can do fractals in greens if you want.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I don't like that they exist and would prefer them not to.