Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Definitely another bad year for MMORPGs.

taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

We are a desperate group of gamers:

I know, we are all desperate for a really good MMORPG but if we continue to support these crappy games we will never get the industry change.

• Stop buying into these payed BETAS of games promising things they can not deliver.
  • Stop making excuses for games with phrases like "A MMORPG is never finished", "They will fix it after release" or "They said they will add [insert promised feature here] after release". When has anything of this ever happened? 
  • Stop believing reviews from gaming sites including this one. They live from advertisements and the will not bite the hand that feeds them. Simple fact.
  • Don't support want to be MMORPGs like Path of Exile or Defiance. These are not MMORPGs.
Only you can stop this by not supporting the games until they deliver what they promise. Yes, of cause, this genre of games do improve and get better over time but why throw money at them NOW when you have no way to tell if any of the features ever going to be delivered.

Why not wait until all the promised features are delivered and then buy it? I know, its crazy how much sense this makes but for some reason we are idiots (i include myself) that throw money at half assed games in the hope "They will fix it after release" because "an MMORPG is never finished" and "They said they will add [insert feature X here]".

THIS HAS TO STOP NOW!

Crowdmilking:

This year will be no different than the last 10. The only thing that is changing right now is that every one of them tries to get as much money as they can before the game is actually released. A new trend that is influenced by the Kickstarter crowdfunding movement. I call it "Crowdmilking".

1. Bought BETA and features. Preorder to get BETA, Headstart, in game items like mounts, useless swag like badges, T-shirts or other crap.
  2. Combine #1 bought BETAS with an NDA to maximize Profit before people can realize how shitty a game is going to be.
  3. All the new games are designed with Microtransaction shops and F2P in mind because developers know they have a sub standard product and that we will reject it like we did the past 10 years.
  4. They are starting Crowdfunding for Patches/Updates/Content. This is a very new trend that will ask for donations to make updates to the game or add content. Based on Kickstarter there are funding goals to be met for different features.
  5. Maximize initial box sales no matter what. Lie, deceive or outright make shit up to get people to pay box price. This practice has been seen with a game released last holiday season. AOC started it, probably had only 30% of the features they promised at start and the BETA was nothing like the rest of the game. AOC was the ultimate bait and switch scam.

The Revolution has to start now, this year, or we will be stuck with more and more of the same money grabs and boring themeparks for decades to come.

(ps: don't take the revolution thing litterally please, this is about bad practices of gaming companies not about starting a revolution)

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

Great, Occupy MMORPG!

Please, count me out.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    The problem with your approach for me, is that I would feel like a total tool following you.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I agree.

Now if the paid beta is like AoW. More polished and more content than 3 of last years games put together, for $9... I'm crossing the line and buying in...

Let's talk about NDA too. NDA means your game is bad plain and simple. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    The problem with your approach for me, is that I would feel like a total tool following you.

And why exactly is that?

See, this is the problem. Think for yourself not follow. How about you make your own decisions and stop following anyone?

After all it's your decision what you do with your money and time. All i am saying is that something needs to be done or things will never change. Only we can change this, or are you saying it will magically fix itself eventually?

• june32ndjune32nd Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by bcbully

I'm sorry, what?

to OP, this whole stink again?, listen i get it, but posting here about this "great" "finding"  isn't going to change ever MMORPG player. The majority of people playing MMORPGs keep buying, so they'll keep producing, unless u can get everyone that stills plays MMOs after leaving WoW you're screaming at, basically, no one.

Originally posted by june32nd
    Originally posted by bcbully

I'm sorry, what?

to OP, this whole stink again?, listen i get it, but posting here about this "great" "finding"  isn't going to change ever MMORPG player. The majority of people playing MMORPGs keep buying, so they'll keep producing, unless u can get everyone that stills plays MMOs after leaving WoW you're screaming at, basically, no one.

No idea what you are talking about. There is no "great" "finding". I am making an argument to take a step back and look at what is really happening. Not screaming at anyone either. Unless you have a counter argument or add to the discussion there is no need for you to post.

• IrondustIrondust Member Posts: 29
    What's the problem with beta's and public beta weekends? Why you can't try the game yourself, skip the reviews and make your own opinion? Your experience with game is too small to do it? I seriously don't get it, no offence.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    2012 was the best year for MMOs since 2004 IMHO,, had several MMOs with plenty of new ideas for the genre.. i feel 2013 with a slew of promising games coming  will build on what we saw in 2012.. I feel 2013 will be the best year for MMOs ever:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by taus01

Are you posting this just to be a jerk to the guy who posted earlier another thread titled "This is might be a good for mmorpgs" or something like that?

If so, that's a pretty lame thing to do. :/

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    2012 was the best year for MMOs since 2004 IMHO,, had several MMOs with plenty of new ideas for the genre.. i feel 2013 with a slew of promising games coming  will build on what we saw in 2012.. I feel 2013 will be the best year for MMOs ever:)

I hope youre right..

Im not holding much stock in Neverwinter or ESO,but games like Archeage,The Repopulation, and maybe Defiance Im holding out hope for.

Originally posted by tank017

I hope youre right..

Im not holding much stock in Neverwinter or ESO,but games like Archeage,The Repopulation, and maybe Defiance Im holding out hope for.

also got wildstar to look forward to and possibly blade & soul and slim chance of black desert as well oh forgot ffxiv RR as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Irondust
    What's the problem with beta's and public beta weekends? Why you can't try the game yourself, skip the reviews and make your own opinion? Your experience with game is too small to do it? I seriously don't get it, no offence.

The problem is your reading comprehension. Nothing wrong with FREE beta weekends and no NDA.

Care to elaborate on the games that had all these great new ideas and actually delivered a game that can hold gamers for longer than a month? A game that is not played to max level within a few days and then does not have any meaningful end game content? A game that delivered what they promised and fixed bugs reported in tehse great BETAs instead of releasing too early again and not fixing bugs even months after release?

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    i dunno. teso's shaping up into something... interesting. archeage is coming our way, as is cu, wildstar, and ffxiv. and that's only to name a few. plus we have a whole plethora of great games expanding (gw2, eve, ps2, tera, etc.). no i'd say 2013 is looking pretty shiny. but hey. time will tell. sure we'll have some flops, but i think we're gonna have some pretty darn decent games this year.
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Are you posting this just to be a jerk to the guy who posted earlier another thread titled "This is might be a good for mmorpgs" or something like that?

If so, that's a pretty lame thing to do. :/

How about you read what i wrote instead of comparing posts or making weird assumptions about my intentions. I have no idea why anyone would search through the forum for similar threads and make a posts like this.

Sorry, i just don't understand the point of your post. Maybe if you had something valuable to say or add to the argument?

Care to elaborate on the games that had all these great new ideas and actually delivered a game that can hold gamers for longer than a month? A game that is not played to max level within a few days and then does not have any meaningful end game content? A game that delivered what they promised and fixed bugs reported in tehse great BETAs instead of releasing too early again and not fixing bugs even months after release?

been playing gw2 for over 6 months now and don't see myself stopping anytime so.. game has a slew of new/streamlined ideas for the genre, TSW has some great new ideas as well and you have TERA that brought good action combat as well.. just because you didn't find interest in any of those doesn't mean the year was a failure.. Think its a good lead in to the slew of games coming in 2013

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Different strokes for different folks.  As 2012 started I was leaving Everquest II behind with a deep resentment over how the game was being handled by SOE and the direction it was taking.  I decided to move to Rift for a while as it had been fun to play during the extended outage SOE had due to the hacking instance.

I expected that one of the AAA games due to be released would be a good fit and truely exciting.  Instead I was deeply disappointed with both The Secret World and Guild Wars II.  While these games have found an audience they were not for me. Star Wars was also disappointing.

So I stayed playing Rift and had a good time doing so.  However things started to look a little shakey around September with a number of changes that started to come into that game.  I was reassured by the announcement of the Storm Legion but then had a hot and cold reaction to it.  One week excited the next worried and so on until the release and playing through the new content and then starting to do the new end game content. By the end of January it was clear to me that my time in Rift was over, the new producer "Elrar" was taking the game in a direction I did not like.

So here I am, and looking at the games that have been announced for this year I am already disppointed.  There seems to be nothing on the table at the moment that looks to be worth downloading to my computer. Never mind an MMORPG to play for the next three years.

EQnext may be interesting, it may be here by the end of the year.  Or not. I have been starting to hear that it will have a strong PvP focus.  If so that to will be a game I will not download.

It still seems strange to me that in a genre called MMORPG that there are currently no games that encourage first person role playing.  The last of these seems to have been the first of these,  Everquest.

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Would Join u but your talking mmorpg. my issue is things called Games like The new Aliens game and oh yeah Duke Nukem Forever which are both worst then what your talking about.

been playing gw2 for over 6 months now and don't see myself stopping anytime so.. game has a slew of new/streamlined ideas for the genre, TSW has some great new ideas as well and you have TERA that brought good action combat as well.. just because you didn't find interest in any of those doesn't mean the year was a failure.. Think its a good lead in to the slew of games coming in 2013

TSW and TERA went free to play because they are boring quest grinding games with no substance. If they are so great and unique, why is no one playing them anymore?

Sure, TERA does have the best action combat hands down. Thats it though.

Sure, TSW had those investigations but they only sound good on paper and are in fact nothing but a series of classic JP RPG quests where you get little to no hints.

Sure GW2 promised to break the mold with no trinity, dynamic events, no grind and what did we get? Zombie Zerging, boring forever repeating event quests and the biggest grind ever invented: Fractals.

You keep living in your dream world.

Originally posted by BlackcatZero
    Would Join u but your talking mmorpg. my issue is things called Games like The new Aliens game and oh yeah Duke Nukem Forever which are both worst then what your talking about.

Please do not limit this to MMORPGs. You are absolutely right, this is a common theme in the whole game industry but since this is MMORPG.com i made an argument for this genre.

I just finished Aliens on CoOp and i have never seen a game as sloppy and unfinished ever. Its almost hillarious how bad it is.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Ok lets talk about process...

So we effectively boycott all mmo's.

All current dev companies go belly up.

So who is going to invest into any game after this tanking of the mmo market, much less invest  in a game which would l doubtless cost more to develop than any before?

Who would the developers be? We just fired them all - so who can we trust?

We think the kids out of IT tech with their gaming certificate are going to deliver? 

Or are you suggesting we re-hire all those devs we just fired?

I got an idea. We could let the free market decide what consumers do or do not want. Oh....kinda like we are.

The reason the bad mmo's are doing surviving, is because there are no good mmo's. We can't even say they are doing 'well'. When you think of the f2p conversions, the shut-downs, the layoffs and Mark Jacobs having to do a 'start-up' campaign......even WoW is losing subs.

Some day, a good mmo will release, and the  gamers will move to that game from the bad ones, and the bad ones will get their 'just rewards'. And then they will adjust to the new climate or fail. 

Kinda like they teach in capitalism 101.

There is no need for a boycott. There is no need for revolution. Let's save that kind of righteous indignation for real issues which effect real lives.

I've survived bad TV seasons without a boycott, I can survive an era of ho-hum mmo's without stepping into the picket line.

I'm pretty sure there are devs out there that want to make a hit. I'm pretty sure they have a greater statistical likelihood of getting hired to make that game if there is a market for mmos, i.e. people buy and play and support games. I'm pretty sure that will be much harder to do if the mmo market tanks because people stop playing.

The worst mmo is still far more entertaining to me than the average TV sitcom. I'm not willing to suffer through "How I Met Your Mother" just because your game didn't release with flying mounts or whatever.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Whine, whine, whine. I had fun playing GW2, I had fun playing RaiderZ, I had fun playing TERA and Rift and so many other games....It was a fine year for mmos just like any other.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

It wasnt that bad of a year.  GW2 is a solid game and so is Planetside 2.

But yeah, we still have not overcome the set-back that was WoW.  There still has not been a game that dared to do half of what SWG did for virtual worlds, immersion, community building, realism.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

TSW and TERA went free to play because they are boring quest grinding games with no substance. If they are so great and unique, why is no one playing them anymore?

Sure, TERA does have the best action combat hands down. Thats it though.

Sure, TSW had those investigations but they only sound good on paper and are in fact nothing but a series of classic JP RPG quests where you get little to no hints.

Sure GW2 promised to break the mold with no trinity, dynamic events, no grind and what did we get? Zombie Zerging, boring forever repeating event quests and the biggest grind ever invented: Fractals.

You keep living in your dream world.

So by your logic popularity is what determines the games quality therefore Maple story and its ilk are pretty much the best mmos ever. [mod edit]

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Different strokes for different folks.  As 2012 started I was leaving Everquest II behind with a deep resentment over how the game was being handled by SOE and the direction it was taking.  I decided to move to Rift for a while as it had been fun to play during the extended outage SOE had due to the hacking instance.

I expected that one of the AAA games due to be released would be a good fit and truely exciting.  Instead I was deeply disappointed with both The Secret World and Guild Wars II.  While these games have found an audience they were not for me. Star Wars was also disappointing.

So I stayed playing Rift and had a good time doing so.  However things started to look a little shakey around September with a number of changes that started to come into that game.  I was reassured by the announcement of the Storm Legion but then had a hot and cold reaction to it.  One week excited the next worried and so on until the release and playing through the new content and then starting to do the new end game content. By the end of January it was clear to me that my time in Rift was over, the new producer "Elrar" was taking the game in a direction I did not like.

So here I am, and looking at the games that have been announced for this year I am already disppointed.  There seems to be nothing on the table at the moment that looks to be worth downloading to my computer. Never mind an MMORPG to play for the next three years.

EQnext may be interesting, it may be here by the end of the year.  Or not. I have been starting to hear that it will have a strong PvP focus.  If so that to will be a game I will not download.

It still seems strange to me that in a genre called MMORPG that there are currently no games that encourage first person role playing.  The last of these seems to have been the first of these,  Everquest.

I think its a bit harder for some to get into todays MMO's when you were brought up on MMO's like Everquest,thats how it is as far as I go at least..I lived and breathed that game until changes like Plane of Knowledge were introduced,which eventually drove me away.

I dont entirely hate todays MMOs,games like Vanguard and The Secret World have held my interest longer than a couple months.Planetside 2,which can barely hold a candle to Planetside 1 is still holding my interest,pending on where they go with it.

As for EQN, if its indeed true that it'll have a strong pvp focus,then it'll be quite a turn off for me as well.PVP just isnt what the Everquest universe is about.It was a fun little side activity at best,but EQ has always had pve at the front line and thats how it should stay imo.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

still trying to figure out why we cant support Path of Exile, I pretty much agree with everything else the OP stated, we need more DEVS like GGG, so I will support them all I can

Also although I havent played much Defiance yet, when I did play there was at least 300 people in the zone with me, so dont know why its a wannabe MMORpg

Originally posted by Zorgo

Ok lets talk about process...

So we effectively boycott all mmo's.

All current dev companies go belly up.

So who is going to invest into any game after this tanking of the mmo market, much less invest  in a game which would l doubtless cost more to develop than any before?

Who would the developers be? We just fired them all - so who can we trust?

We think the kids out of IT tech with their gaming certificate are going to deliver? 

Or are you suggesting we re-hire all those devs we just fired?

You obviously did not read my post or have trouble comprehending it.

I said to not throw money at games until they are finished and deliver what they promised. Not encourage the industry to make payed betas, lie to the customers or overhype a game and not deliver the features promised. Not encourage them to release early, half finished games (this includes non MMOS)

Buy them but only if they deliver what they promise.

You are going off in a totally different direction and i think you are taking this a bit too serious.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

still trying to figure out why we cant support Path of Exile, I pretty much agree with everything else the OP stated, we need more DEVS like GGG, so I will support them all I can

Also although I havent played much Defiance yet, when I did play there was at least 300 people in the zone with me, so dont know why its a wannabe MMORpg

By all means, you can support whatever you want, i am just trying to say that these are not MMORPGs and should not be passed off as such. They are Multiplayer games, thats it.