We are a desperate group of gamers:
I know, we are all desperate for a really good MMORPG but if we continue to support these crappy games we will never get the industry change.
- Stop buying into these payed BETAS of games promising things they can not deliver.
- Stop making excuses for games with phrases like "A MMORPG is never finished", "They will fix it after release" or "They said they will add [insert promised feature here] after release". When has anything of this ever happened?
- Stop believing reviews from gaming sites including this one. They live from advertisements and the will not bite the hand that feeds them. Simple fact.
- Don't support want to be MMORPGs like Path of Exile or Defiance. These are not MMORPGs.
Only you can stop this by not supporting the games until they deliver what they promise. Yes, of cause, this genre of games do improve and get better over time but why throw money at them NOW when you have no way to tell if any of the features ever going to be delivered.
Why not wait until all the promised features are delivered and then buy it? I know, its crazy how much sense this makes but for some reason we are idiots (i include myself) that throw money at half assed games in the hope "They will fix it after release" because "an MMORPG is never finished" and "They said they will add [insert feature X here]".
THIS HAS TO STOP NOW!
This year will be no different than the last 10. The only thing that is changing right now is that every one of them tries to get as much money as they can before the game is actually released. A new trend that is influenced by the Kickstarter crowdfunding movement. I call it "Crowdmilking".
- Bought BETA and features. Preorder to get BETA, Headstart, in game items like mounts, useless swag like badges, T-shirts or other crap.
- Combine #1 bought BETAS with an NDA to maximize Profit before people can realize how shitty a game is going to be.
- All the new games are designed with Microtransaction shops and F2P in mind because developers know they have a sub standard product and that we will reject it like we did the past 10 years.
- They are starting Crowdfunding for Patches/Updates/Content. This is a very new trend that will ask for donations to make updates to the game or add content. Based on Kickstarter there are funding goals to be met for different features.
- Maximize initial box sales no matter what. Lie, deceive or outright make shit up to get people to pay box price. This practice has been seen with a game released last holiday season. AOC started it, probably had only 30% of the features they promised at start and the BETA was nothing like the rest of the game. AOC was the ultimate bait and switch scam.
The Revolution has to start now, this year, or we will be stuck with more and more of the same money grabs and boring themeparks for decades to come.
(ps: don't take the revolution thing litterally please, this is about bad practices of gaming companies not about starting a revolution)
"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"