Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hope this game is worthy of the Elder Scrolls genre.

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

Just saying.

I see a lot of arguing about the PvP, WvW, PvE, solo play, raiding, crafting, ETC.

Everyone wants their chance to write the best hit piece on this game.

Odds are, in all liklihood, this won't be the best MMO ever conceived by humanity that reshapes the human structure of civilization.  However, as an avid Elder Scrolls player and fan, I am excited to have a place to interact with other Elder Scrolls players.

I don't expect this game to be the next WoW.  Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing more than for it to be.  I am just happy to have a multi-player version of Elder Scrolls that I can play with my friends.

I want this post to be a place where people who are excited about the game to be able to talk about it, and what they hope to see.   Personally, I hope to be able to go swash-buckling through daedric ruins, it was always my favorite.

I also hope there will be a secret mud-crab merchant that patrols that everyone is searching for :D.

What are your thoughts, are you anxious to play this? :D  What do you want to see?

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    What is "the Elder Scrolls genre"?

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

Something about an Arena that was before my time, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.

They're all games deeply filled with lore and good books to read (that you find in the game) and always have the latest and greatest graphics settings that will challenge your PC with an amazing story.

There are a lot of races, but there are extinct civilizations, and the ruins and history of them, and you can explore and search them out, there's also gods and goddesses and devils.  The games are captivating and fun, and you can build your character to be anything you want it to be, you can change direction at any time, and you can always learn a new skill if you wish.

I believe it is a genre of its own, if your question is rhetorical.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I've loved most of what I've played of the Elder Scrolls franchise; that is, Daggerfall and Skyrm. I tried one of the Morrowind type games (can't remember which) and it was such a departure from Daggerfall, that I tossed it after about 20 minutes of playing. Unfortunately, Bethesda also released another game called Sea Dogs shortly after that episode.  It was a steaming heap of reeking dung, which I shoved off the end of my desk and into the garbage can.  I also swore off Bethesda games.

Skyrim brought me back, and I'm in love again.

I hope this game captures everything that is so great in those games; PVE, unbound exploration and adventuring, a long night working the forge, good old-fashioned dungeon crawls, and great scenery.

I haven't been paying attention to any press releases or forum postings.  I already know I am going to try this game, so it doesn't really matter.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

I believe it is a genre of its own, if your question is rhetorical.

I agree.  There is a magic about TES that is all its own.  I've never seen it elsewhere (pun accidental).

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Eh? Elder Scrolls genre? Since when is that a genre.

Anyways, for the hundreth time TESO is a spin off.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Sideras

Yeah. Things are not supposed to change. That's why all the ES games recently have just been spin-offs from Arena...Dude where is my Spellmaker? Why can't I design my own spells with primary and secondary abilities any more? You broke my genre!

To the OP: you meant to say "franchise" not "genre." And no, they didn't. It's just evolving... change is scary ain't it?

I still remember when TES: Arena first came out and what was unique about it in its day: A "classless" system, FP perspective, active NPCs who went about their daily lives more or less, and for me anyway, the ability to customize gear, potions and particularly spells using the various magical crafting stations in the mage's guild halls. The game it reminded me the most of was Ultima Underworld--no surprise there, since that was their inspiration. How many of you even remember UU? UU was what the Ultima series should have evolved into but didn't. Ultima by this time had dropped the 3D gameplay of UU and was releasing a POS called Pagan (U-VIII)  with its now totally dated 80's overhead perspective and its cheesy morality. TES: Arena was a breath of fresh air.

My first ever character was a dark elf sorceror who absorbed magic cast at him to replenish his mana and could also kick ass with his 2-hd sword. Over time in each ES game, some or all of that has been modified changed or, in the case of the spellmaker, dropped. Despite that I've enjoyed them all.

Now they're making an MMO based on the franchise. Not a multiplayer co-op game--an MMO. And horror of horros! They're adding MMO elements to it! The nerve! Worse... they're not designing it according to my own individual ideas of how an MMO should be designed! They're doing it their way....wtf do they know? Why didn't they ask me?

But you know what? I can't wait to play THEIR game.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I really hope TESO is a good game.  I look forward to playing it.

If I am at worried about a the game itself, I am concerned that we know so little of the game when it is approaching it's sixth year in development (and beta is around the corner). 

I would like to see the devs release raw gameplay footage, similar to how GW2 did.  Anet laid out thier work for all to see and judge.  They did so years before they launched as well.

In the end, I guess I am just anxious to learn more of the game.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

spin off? I though it was a prequel.

Each Elder Scrolls game was different form his predecessors.

1. Arena had XP, classes and used "dices" for health and combat.

2. Daggerfall introduced the "use X to raise your skills" and custom class. Still used dice rolls for to hit and damage.

3. Morrowind streamlimed the skills. Still used dice rolls for to hit and damage.

4. Oblivion dropped the dices. Removed more skills. Soul gems are now batteries (enchanting reworked).

5. Skyrim removed more skills, combined some, streamlined attributes to health, stamina and magicka. Added perks, but removed classes. Removed spellcrafting, add preset spells, but we got enchanting back as a skill. They also dropped the 10 questions to select a class that existed since Arena...

TESO: ? Skills raise with usage (weapon, armor and utilities),  perks are in and all the classes can use all weapons, armors and skills but they also have predefined abilities. Use Skyrim health, stamina, magicka attributes.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

What are your thoughts, are you anxious to play this? :D  What do you want to see?

I´ll try it out, got into the beta ;D

To me it looks EXACTLY (well, very similiar) to Age of Conan (which is a good thing), so it might be an interesting game to play aside.

TESO

http://youtu.be/QQqOfsYGenI?t=4m24s

AOC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3AqaCQUVA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtxbgutnlk0

Although I find TESO looks a little more themparkish/ less realistic, so... not sure

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by FromHell

I´ll try it out, got into the beta ;D

Beta invites are going out already? First I've heard of it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    What is "the Elder Scrolls genre"?

RPG

It takes one to know one.

• I hope it's worthy of Mordor.
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I doubt it will please players who want elder scrolls 6.

I think Bethesdea made the right move by getting people who have actually made an mmo to make the game, unlike EA and Bioware with SWTOR.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Iselin

Yeah. Things are not supposed to change. That's why all the ES games recently have just been spin-offs from Arena...Dude where is my Spellmaker? Why can't I design my own spells with primary and secondary abilities any more? You broke my genre!

To the OP: you meant to say "franchise" not "genre." And no, they didn't. It's just evolving... change is scary ain't it?

I still remember when TES: Arena first came out and what was unique about it in its day: A "classless" system, FP perspective, active NPCs who went about their daily lives more or less, and for me anyway, the ability to customize gear, potions and particularly spells using the various magical crafting stations in the mage's guild halls. The game it reminded me the most of was Ultima Underworld--no surprise there, since that was their inspiration. How many of you even remember UU? UU was what the Ultima series should have evolved into but didn't. Ultima by this time had dropped the 3D gameplay of UU and was releasing a POS called Pagan (U-VIII)  with its now totally dated 80's overhead perspective and its cheesy morality. TES: Arena was a breath of fresh air.

My first ever character was a dark elf sorceror who absorbed magic cast at him to replenish his mana and could also kick ass with his 2-hd sword. Over time in each ES game, some or all of that has been modified changed or, in the case of the spellmaker, dropped. Despite that I've enjoyed them all.

Now they're making an MMO based on the franchise. Not a multiplayer co-op game--an MMO. And horror of horros! They're adding MMO elements to it! The nerve! Worse... they're not designing it according to my own individual ideas of how an MMO should be designed! They're doing it their way....wtf do they know? Why didn't they ask me?

But you know what? I can't wait to play THEIR game.

I wouldn't call it evolving for a single title.  I'd say it's fair to call it a spinoff.  As much as calling Clone Wars a spin-off of the Star Wars franchise.  They both maintain the lore while changing 90% of everything else.

I think it fairly safe to assume that they'll continue making TES games in the usual fashion even if they continue making MMOs and MMO content as well.  Why kill off a working design with a rabid fanbase just to chase an unrelated market?

That being said, I do not think TESO will live up to the expectations those that play the single player games will have.  It may well be a fine game, but it will be too different to compare them to eachother.  Think of it as an MMO with TES lore, not a TES game with online capability.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I doubt it will. Name me one MMORPG in the like 6-7 years that has lived up to a huge IP.

WAR = No

SWTOR = No. Fun but KOTOR gameplay doesn't mesh well online.

AOC = No. Game wasn't even close to finished

DCUO = No. PS3 exclusive and hardly any content.

EQ2 = Not even close

PS2 is pretty much as close as it gets, but it's not really a MMORPG. Not saying that it's impossible for a huge IP to succeed, but the trends show that it's unfavorable. Remember this, TESO isn't being developed specifically for its large fanbase. It's being developed for every gamer demographic they can find. A bit of a different approach from the single player games, because the MMO crowd as a whole is much less picky.