Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not quite so Clear as Mudd?: No tokens....but commendations?

Lore84Lore84 Member Posts: 69

08/02/2013 #2 – RvR isn’t the end game, it’s the only game!">Foundational Principle #2 – RvR isn’t the end game, it’s the only game!

"You will get rewards for killing other players, other players’ helpers and some stuff in the world but it won’t be gear and we will also not offer tokens. Tokens are for subways and some pinball and arcade games, not for this game. I was and remain a fan of that type of system for a different game(s) but not for this game."

18/02/2013 As to Gold Sellers

"4) Gold will not be the only currency system we will have. Players will earn special commendations for their work from their sovereign that will reward them for special services to their realm whether they are crafters, builders or RvR players or all of the above."

- Mark Jacobs

Seems like a contradiction to me, is that not tokens?

Can we get some clarification on this? Im really not sure about this since if its a return of a commendations system ala WAR, can we expect that sort of almost forced gear grind and the issues that go along with it? This is probably the most negative thing i've heard about the systems in the game so far if im being honest.

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

Comments

• kryllenkryllen Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Good catch - it sounds like either token farming or faction farming...same thing really.
  • Lore84Lore84 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by kryllen
    Good catch - it sounds like either token farming or faction farming...same thing really.

I so hope not.

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Originally posted by Lore84

08/02/2013 #2 – RvR isn’t the end game, it’s the only game!">Foundational Principle #2 – RvR isn’t the end game, it’s the only game!

"You will get rewards for killing other players, other players’ helpers and some stuff in the world but it won’t be gear and we will also not offer tokens. Tokens are for subways and some pinball and arcade games, not for this game. I was and remain a fan of that type of system for a different game(s) but not for this game."

18/02/2013 As to Gold Sellers

"4) Gold will not be the only currency system we will have. Players will earn special commendations for their work from their sovereign that will reward them for special services to their realm whether they are crafters, builders or RvR players or all of the above."

- Mark Jacobs

Seems like a contradiction to me, is that not tokens?

Can we get some clarification on this? Im really not sure about this since if its a return of a commendations system ala WAR, can we expect that sort of almost forced gear grind and the issues that go along with it? This is probably the most negative thing i've heard about the systems in the game so far if im being honest.

Neither actually. :) Think of commendations that could come in the form of special medals/titles/achievements.

To me, tokens are things that you farm that then can be used to buy other things. Commendations are things you are given that are not leveled up (100 tokens = this item, 200 tokens = that item) that might be nothing more than an achievement (Slayer of Arthurians) or additional grants of land (which can only be given out by the ruler), etc. 

What you will receive will not be able to be used to buy/trade for non-player crafted items/weapons/etc.

Also, we haven't decided whether they totally make sense or not yet. I want to keep my options open if we feel that the currency system is being borked by the gold sellers.

Think about something like making a heroic stance one night and you receive a special commendation from the king because you held the keep that night. It might not have any physical value but it would be listed as something you achieved in your character sheet.

Does this make sense?

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

As an achievement yes - as a currency item no.
    Phew, it does..thats fine. I just had flashbacks of WAR there for a second. *shudder*

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

And I'm hoping that's where it stays. As I said to the guys this morning when we talked about it, I just want to make sure we have a backup plan if I'm wrong about gold sellers. I want our players to be able to generate enough gold/items to make a viable economy. If the gold farmers find a way to exploit it, I could add a secondary currency that would be bound to the player and only transfered via a sale of an item. While this is still exploitable (like any system), it would make it harder for the farmers/sellers to exchange gold. Not impossible but just a little harder.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Mark Jacobs

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

or additional grants of land (which can only be given out by the ruler)

this would be an excellent way to give clans/guilds the ability to build strongholds close to the contested areas.

Also, it's so medieval it's...perfect from all aspects :) 

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Mark needs to use only WoW terms so everybody understands, I call it simplified MMO dialect.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

And I'm hoping that's where it stays. As I said to the guys this morning when we talked about it, I just want to make sure we have a backup plan if I'm wrong about gold sellers. I want our players to be able to generate enough gold/items to make a viable economy. If the gold farmers find a way to exploit it, I could add a secondary currency that would be bound to the player and only transfered via a sale of an item. While this is still exploitable (like any system), it would make it harder for the farmers/sellers to exchange gold. Not impossible but just a little harder.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Well I hope the same then. Really want your game to succeed so hopefully more detailed news comes out soon. As it is, it's about 50/50 good/bad for me so far...especially the no PVE part.

Sky, that's pretty snide. You have to admit that wasn't at all clear.

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

Cool.

Phew, it does..thats fine. I just had flashbacks of WAR there for a second. *shudder*

Don't worry, I have learned a *few* lessons over the years. :)

Originally posted by Galadourn

or additional grants of land (which can only be given out by the ruler)

this would be an excellent way to give clans/guilds the ability to build strongholds close to the contested areas.

Also, it's so medieval it's...perfect from all aspects :) 

That's the plan. :)

Mark Jacobs

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    I like the idea that it would only, for the moment anyway, be tied to titles or things like that. That being said, I like that you already have a backup plan in place based on gold farmers. Its kind of hard for botters to excel at pvp while at the same time meeting their hourly quoatas. So do what you gotta do man lol.
    Originally posted by Raagnarz
    I like the idea that it would only,m for the moment anyway, be tied to titles or things like that. That being said, I like that you already have a backup plan in place based on gold farmers. Its kind of hard for botters to excel at pvp while at the same time meeting their hourly quoatas. So do what you gotta do man lol.

Exactly. The key is making it easy for real players to have fun, make money, build and make stuff but make it harder for the commericial farmers to make money. Not easy but doable.

Mark Jacobs

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

Think of them like realm points and bounty points.

Realm points = XP - you keep it

BP = commendations - you don't keep it.. well you can horde it

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Sky, that's pretty snide. You have to admit that wasn't at all clear.

Oh yea it wasnt totally clear. but my while my reply was alitlte sarcastic in bagging wow...i was kinda been serious.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.