Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test drive

RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
I don't suppose you can test drive this puppy without preordering and shelling out cash.  I am interested because it is Trion, but I hate to flush $60 down the toilet just to see if it is good or not.  That would buy me 4 months of Rift.

Currently playing:
Rift
Played:
SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft, AoC

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    I doubt it. There might be an open beta at one point like they did with Rift before it launched though but who knows.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

It might be a prudent move to just wait and see what others say about it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    I think the game will stand or fall depending on how PvP is handled and balanced. Until there's a word on that, when the NDA is removed, a good suggestion is, like its being said to wait and see.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

i am got acces to closed beta without preordering,just sign up for test session when joined Arkfall codes ;

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/602/view/forums/thread/376296/Defiance-EGO-and-Arkfall-Codes.html

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I got in without having to buy it

What im going to say it is

What is going to break or make it is the PvP, the PvE is good but not enough to support the entirety of the game on its own

My final opinion?

It will be a niche game with an average but loyal population

Pretty much like rift

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by dinams

I got in without having to buy it

What im going to say it is

What is going to break or make it is the PvP, the PvE is good but not enough to support the entirety of the game on its own

My final opinion?

It will be a niche game with an average but loyal population

Pretty much like rift

As I have had time in beta I actually think the game will do very well and if trion support it well like they did rift then it will be a very successful game. If you played and enjoyed games like planetside then you will love this one without a doubt. 

I think pve is not bad at all but as for pvp I am not a huge fan of it so not important to me. 

I disagree with you saying its pretty much like rift though. 

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

There's a beta weekend going on right now, the usual sites were handing out plenty of keys for everyone interested. No idea if there will be any more of those.

As for the game's likely success: If the show is not a smash hit, it will tank badly. That's not to say it's a bad game, I quite like it actually. In its current form it feels more like a single player or co op game at best and won't work as a MMO though. Some recent titles like The Secret World had similar issues and suffered for it, Defiance is even worse in that respect unfortunately. In part the cross platform stuff is to blame I guess.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Amegashie

There's a beta weekend going on right now, the usual sites were handing out plenty of keys for everyone interested. No idea if there will be any more of those.

As for the game's likely success: If the show is not a smash hit, it will tank badly. That's not to say it's a bad game, I quite like it actually. In its current form it feels more like a single player or co op game at best and won't work as a MMO though. Some recent titles like The Secret World had similar issues and suffered for it, Defiance is even worse in that respect unfortunately. In part the cross platform stuff is to blame I guess.

What made the secret world suffer is the fact most players had bad experiences from past funcom titles and also for the fact most people are sick of zombie games. I wouldn't even consider comparing both titles. 

I would love to hear how defiance is worse?? just curious thats all. 

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    who buys MMO's on the first day anymore, after all those misses, its always smarter to just wait till Peer reviews are out before buying anything anymore.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by sancher36

As I have had time in beta I actually think the game will do very well and if trion support it well like they did rift then it will be a very successful game. If you played and enjoyed games like planetside then you will love this one without a doubt. 

I think pve is not bad at all but as for pvp I am not a huge fan of it so not important to me. 

I disagree with you saying its pretty much like rift though. 

i dont think he compared the gamestyles, i'd rather say he compared the ammount of the user base :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• burner087burner087 Member Posts: 13
    Don't see it being huge.  But it should have a group of people who love it.  I've been looking for a game some what like this since Tabula Rasa folded.

-Davorn

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Raventree
    I don't suppose you can test drive this puppy without preordering and shelling out cash.  I am interested because it is Trion, but I hate to flush $60 down the toilet just to see if it is good or not.  That would buy me 4 months of Rift.

Zam still had beta keys yesterday.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31559

• NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213

Originally posted by Lucioon
    who buys MMO's on the first day anymore, after all those misses, its always smarter to just wait till Peer reviews are out before buying anything anymore.

people who are bored and aren't going to miss 60 bucks, which is a lot of people.

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

after beta weekend ,I am preordering game,I dont care for reviews ,I know I am finaly find shooter mmo for me after long time

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

after beta weekend ,I am preordering game,I dont care for reviews ,I know I am finaly find shooter mmo for me after long time

agreed, if someone is looking for a great mmotps then this is the game that will satisfy the quench.  The world is truly a massive open world with dynamic events, massive bosses that take many players to take down.  Plus I had so much fun riding my ATV in the game, its physics based and you can do some really riduculous things.   Pvp is arena based so far but I would like to see a more open area or bigger zone similar to GW2 but the combat is stil fun since it is twich based.  The game really feels like they put Borderlands, Gears of war and rift together but took all the good parts to create a very fun MMOTPS.