Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review by a level 50

PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
i dunno if anyone else has posted >this<, but i saw it and figured i'd share.

Comments

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Very good review it's nice to see the negatives and positives for once.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Very nice review, lots of positives, good mix of sandbox and rail.   On the negatives, his first two revolve around the game not being ganker friendly enough so thats actually a POSITIVE in my opinion.  I personaly love faction based PvP and I also believe you need large safe areas to attract more than a couple of thousand "hardcore" players.  Games like that always die from players canabalizing themselfs.

I didnt really see any negatives that were game breaking.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

Hey, thanks for posting that! The review seems legit, as writen by a vet gamer with no crossed interests or hating/fanboyism disorder.

Looking good: Despite a couple of 'mehs' - class changes and CC enphasis on abilities- and some too generic features - combat, on-rails quests -, it looks like a massive step in the right direction. Hope they take their time to tune up stuff and Trion doesn't travesty the thing for the 'more casual, impatient' western mainstream.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Thanks for the review posting.  It was a nice afternoon read.

As mentioned above, some of the "annoying parts"  aren't really a big deal.  Like not being able to gank lowbies (< lv 30) in their safe, uncontested zones.  The PVPer needs to wait before they are more accustomed to the game, and their toons mature.  No problem there.

Also I don't see land tax as annoying.  It helps prevents "dead" sections of land where nobody plays much, or at all any longer.  Seeing as how housing is not instanced, I really wouldn't want to see thousands of acres of abandoned houses, just because some ultra casuals want land (me too syndrome), but only want to play an hour every couple months .. or those who abandon their character(s) / accounts permanently.

How Aion did it, poor players could get free instanced apartments, and the wealthy could buy / be taxed on non-instanced houses / mansions.  Perhaps that was a good compromise.

I'm not sure what happens to furniture and decorations / trophies though if someone deadbeats on their property.  That part would get annoying for me the most if it just poofs.  If it could be gotten back from a bank, with a storage fee that would be OK - no idea on this though.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

yea if you dont tend to your crops and farm animals they will die being neglected after a few days 

:p

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Nice. While reading through this I had many instances of thinking ArcheAge uses a lot of systems that Age of Wushu does currently.
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Akerbeltz

Hey, thanks for posting that! The review seems legit, as writen by a vet gamer with no crossed interests or hating/fanboyism disorder.

Looking good: Despite a couple of 'mehs' - class changes and CC enphasis on abilities- and some too generic features - combat, on-rails quests -, it looks like a massive step in the right direction. Hope they take their time to tune up stuff and Trion doesn't travesty the thing for the 'more casual, impatient' western mainstream.

This in a nutshell is my biggest fear about AA coming to NA.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Well written review.  However it confirms my fears about the game and does nothing to increase my interest.  I do not care for compulsary PvP.
  • SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Thanks for the review. Stealing this and posting to Tribe's forum as well. ⇒

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
  • SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    Well written review.  However it confirms my fears about the game and does nothing to increase my interest.  I do not care for compulsary PvP.

Thanks for stopping by!

See ya............../wave

All Will Be Well.....

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"The quests in the game will be the same rails type system that you remember from pretty much every other game you've ever played in this genre. ArcheAge questing is similar to Rift questing that is similar to Aion questing, etc. Questing is the quickest way to level in the game (especially picking up all kill quests) and it's a decent way when starting the game to make money."

No, no no! I can't do this anymore. /cry

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Sorry, but I think I pass.

Labour Points? Crop and lifestock dies when I don't log in? Everyone can kill me? And PLAYER trials?

That sounds like all my MMO nightmares in one game. Good riddance. It looks cool, and I would have been interested in a sandbox again, but this is just absurd. The influence of other people in my game experience is WAAAY too big, and due to experience 8 out of 10 people use their power to grief others. Probably Asians are raised different, but Western people are evil Schmocks. So thanks, but NO thanks.

My cat died in PVP is certainly something I NEVER EVER want to experience in a game. Period. (Much less than it STARVED to death!) Horrible. Just plain horrible.

Oh and CC galore? OMG. That is SO bad I don't know what to say. CC is bad in PVP at all, because I imagine PVP as dynamic, not as stun-galore. And reading AA has tons of CC... yeah no thanks again. 

And TAXES? What is this? New World Order simulator?

"This Game is presented to you by Bilderbergers. Bilderbergers - the group bringing the New World Order to you!"

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I'm getting less and less enthused by what I read about AA every day. At it's heart the game seems to me to be a fairly standard quest hub quick blitz to 'end game' style romp, with forced grouping and forced PvP making up the only rewarding activity to participate in once you get there. Now I do like to group PvP. But I need more than that if a MMORPG is going to hold my interest long term.

How it appears to me (although I haven't played AA yet).

Crafting - Generic 'color level' type items and sets with no random stats or random resource qualities. Small chance to produce a higher color level on creation. Must bring resources through PvP choke points for a worthwhile reward. No dura loss, so limited markets. Artificial daily limits on crafting skillups and production (although what do you want to bet cash shop buffs will help).

PvE - It sounds to me like there is one dungeon per 10 levels, and that's it. Not a world full of interesting little places to visit. And I've never heard anyone talking about mob drops at all. I also wonder if mobs just stand around and do absolutely nothing until you attack them like they do in Age of Wushu? Is this some kind of new Asian thing?

Character Development - It's been discussed on this site before, but I'm one of those people who actually likes it. And the words 'end game' being talked about in a MMORPG always makes me shudder. However I guess long term character development doesn't fit well with some players idea of fair PvP. Although to me, it just means that you have to learn how to pick your battles. And accept that you may not always be 'equal'.

Well, I've vented...

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by Pynda
    I'm getting less and less enthused by what I read about AA every day. At it's heart the game seems to me to be a fairly standard quest hub quick blitz to 'end game' style romp, with forced grouping and forced PvP making up the only rewarding activity to participate in once you get there. Now I do like to group PvP. But I need more than that if a MMORPG is going to hold my interest long term.

How it appears to me (although I haven't played AA yet).

Crafting - Generic 'color level' type items and sets with no random stats or random resource qualities. Small chance to produce a higher color level on creation. Must bring resources through PvP choke points for a worthwhile reward. No dura loss, so limited markets. Artificial daily limits on crafting skillups and production (although what do you want to bet cash shop buffs will help).

PvE - It sounds to me like there is one dungeon per 10 levels, and that's it. Not a world full of interesting little places to visit. And I've never heard anyone talking about mob drops at all. I also wonder if mobs just stand around and do absolutely nothing until you attack them like they do in Age of Wushu? Is this some kind of new Asian thing?

Character Development - It's been discussed on this site before, but I'm one of those people who actually likes it. And the words 'end game' being talked about in a MMORPG always makes me shudder. However I guess long term character development doesn't fit well with some players idea of fair PvP. Although to me, it just means that you have to learn how to pick your battles. And accept that you may not always be 'equal'.

Well, I've vented...

Crafting

If your interested you can learn more about crafting in this thread here

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/view/forums/thread/376513/Archage-crafting-equipment-upgrades-translated-by-Seatbelt-.html

PVE

There is way more stuff to do than dungeons. People only do the dungeons for the story, if you do it for the gear, you will be in a world of hurt..lol

Did you know that ArcheAge has Rifts, and world Rift events just like in Rift ? You can get gear and items from these events.

http://youtu.be/YPNC4R6YbMA

http://youtu.be/UC5WxPtsmsE

Did you also know that ArcheAge has epic world bosses, that drop epic loot ?

One of the hardest bosses in the game "Antalrone the Necromancer" took 100 people with 10 tanks and siege weapons to bring down in about 30 mins.

Here is a really bad recording of him being brought down

http://live.afreeca.com:8079/app/index.cgi?szType=read_ucc_bbs&nStationNo=2496735&nTitleNo=3129742&szBjId=hanmin0510&nBbsNo=1303497&

In the end he dropped his gloves

Here are other World Bosses

http://youtu.be/OS0H07rFojM

http://youtu.be/J1nw7xW1lVU

http://youtu.be/cq3wLrV0GrA

http://youtu.be/RzxdDFbZjWM

http://youtu.be/QgOl9rvDoX8

http://youtu.be/E5FZ7LT-6mk

http://youtu.be/Mio0uo-E784

http://youtu.be/8QAF3nMqaG8

http://youtu.be/0R94KN7z9uk

Don't forget all that exploring as there are lots of sights to see, wanna swim with Dolphins and find a nice Island ?

http://youtu.be/km1haP7OcC0

There is a big huge world map to explore

http://youtu.be/EuTIHD3Dnow

http://youtu.be/W4nwn7RNaU8

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

I wonder if its possible to kill the dolphins?

Dolphin sushi?

All Will Be Well.....

• SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293
    in regards to the pvp does anyone know what kind of looting with pk'ing this game has, if any, ex: full loot, half loot, package only?

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
  • InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Sharess
    in regards to the pvp does anyone know what kind of looting with pk'ing this game has, if any, ex: full loot, half loot, package only?

Only the packages if a person is carrying one. Though with the amount of safe zones they have introduced it's getting rarer and rarer people to take risks to carry packages further distances and just make more runs inside the safe zones.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

I can believe what im hearing.  What have MMO players become?  Are people beyond being pleased with anything anymore???

Im not going to play cause i might get rained on?   my crops just dont convert to gold?  I could die??  I might go to prison is i kill someone?  I might get ganked?  I have to do quests??  The game is to big!  The game is to small!  I dont like the trial system!  I dont like that someone could steal my stuff!  If i steal someones shit i could go to jail?!?!?!  If i neglect my crops and animals they could die???!

Ok some stuff was silly but WTF really?  What a pile of crybabies!!  If you see something thats a deal breaker, sorry, drive on soldier.  There will be something out there for you.  I could see where even i may say this is way to time consuming but thats fine, it will be perfect for the other guy.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

Thanks for stopping by!

Might want to /wave a couple hundred thousand times to all the people who don't buy the game. And when the game dies cause lack of interest and money, I'll /wave to you and the game.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Zetsuei
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

Thanks for stopping by!

Might want to /wave a couple hundred thousand times to all the people who don't buy the game. And when the game dies cause lack of interest and money, I'll /wave to you and the game.

I sense a lot of focused hate on this post

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by Elikal

The influence of other people in my game experience is WAAAY too big,

It's a mmo...

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by adderVXI

I can believe what im hearing.  What have MMO players become?  Are people beyond being pleased with anything anymore???

Im not going to play cause i might get rained on?   my crops just dont convert to gold?  I could die??  I might go to prison is i kill someone?  I might get ganked?  I have to do quests??  The game is to big!  The game is to small!  I dont like the trial system!  I dont like that someone could steal my stuff!  If i steal someones shit i could go to jail?!?!?!  If i neglect my crops and animals they could die???!

Ok some stuff was silly but WTF really?  What a pile of crybabies!!  If you see something thats a deal breaker, sorry, drive on soldier.  There will be something out there for you.  I could see where even i may say this is way to time consuming but thats fine, it will be perfect for the other guy.

You just took the words from my mouth! Is exactly this what i think when reading much posts in this forum.

Seens that the damage caused by WoW in the mmo genre and player mentality is far worse than in my worst nightmares.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by adderVXI

Well actually the problem is that this game got called  a sandbox game, a AAA sandbox game.

The problem with that is those of us that really want a good AAA sandbox game are kind of split on what that means.

• PvP faction based sandbox
    • PvE heavy optional PvP at most sandbox
    • FFA PvP every where all the time sandbox

and probably some other options too.  So a lot of us where going to be disappointed with whatever kind of sandbox the game was.  So far AFAIK this is the only AAA sandbox that has emerged from the fog.  EQnext may be the next to emerge but we will have to wait and see.

So to those that like this flavour of sandbox I hope you have fun, the rest of us have had our expectations and hopes crushed. So while driving on is an option the lack of a destination makes for a degree of bitterness.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Of course this game isnt for someone who can only afford an hour at a time to play. Its an in-depth world with a lot of things going on. Something you never see in a STATIC mmo.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    Of course this game isnt for someone who can only afford an hour at a time to play. Its an in-depth world with a lot of things going on. Something you never see in a STATIC mmo.

Well it's not for the hardcore games either for sure. It's something in the middle - that sells.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube