Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suspending Reality

Its no secret that many of us play games as an escape but to what extent my question which I will poll does a game that only allows for the Human race do the job, or do we need more races to help evolve the world.

*EDIT*

To further clarify think of a game like TSW or Lineage vs EQ or WoW, I am not oppposed to human just would like to see other options

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

Comments

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Can't answer that.  Depends on far too many other factors.  
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Can't answer that.  Depends on far too many other factors.  

+1  Lots of other factors play into that, including how humanoid the races are.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Yes, 9 times out of 10 I end up human of some sort anyway, regardless of what races the game offers.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

E

U

I can answer that. For me, that would be a no. I am immersed when I feel attachment to my character and whatever team I am on. having 1 human race isnt really what factors that. Specially if the 1 human has one model or 1 voice I hear often.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    if the game is fun and immersive then it would not matter to me.  race choices don't break a game for me.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

E

U

I can answer that. For me, that would be a no. I am immersed when I feel attachment to my character and whatever team I am on. having 1 human race isnt really what factors that. Specially if the 1 human has one model or 1 voice I hear often.

what's with the letters at the top of all your posts?

E

U

???

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Its not the Races that immerse you its the world itself.  i get plenty immersed in TSW, we have a Progression RP cabal who gets quite into the game simply because there are Soo meny levels to the knowladge in the game. You don't need Orcs and Elves to be immersive, You need Lore and Depth.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Perhaps the question is "would you play a game that only has humans".

And the answer is "yes".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68
    modern mmos aren't conducive to creating that feeling of being transported to another world. they're all safe and calculated and constantly remind you that you're playing a game.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by muffins89
    E

U

???

European Union? :shrug: If he's too hip to type, make up your own meanings.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by muffins89
    E

U

???

European Union? :shrug: If he's too hip to type, make up your own meanings.

I think its 'his thing'.  Best ignored.  

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I told yes as it's good enough to me if game is fun. also prefer only 1 pretty race then several ugly, only IMO

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

What does race bring to a character which could not be done with varied cultures or professions or destinies?

I like a variety or races, but I don't see them as an essential.  The subset of MMOs that I've played have not exactly pushed my imagination on what it means for different sentient races to coexist in the same world and further than Tolkien took the idea.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518
    maybe it would have been better to specifiy in a fantasy setting, for me it just doesn't feel very much like a fantansy if I am forced to be a simple human

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I really don't give a damn about immersion so... who cares?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Yes, only human is fine with me.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Races creates depth.

If it's compensated in another way and the lore/story/world environment can't permit non humans than I think it's OK.

But the lost depth needs to be compensated. Factions with extreme competitive idiologies is a good example.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

I think races are one way to create diverse lore, graphic themes, and character creation options. The way I see it, using multiple races is one good way to do it, but there are other good ways too. As long as players have lot of character creation options and the game has diverse lore, I don't really care whether I get to pick from 10 races or just customize a human.

Imho worst are often those games that pretend to have multiple races by adding new skin color options and some head ornament to humans and calling the result 10 different races. Especially if the devs are too lazy to create different lore, culture, and themed areas for different races.