Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny, Titan and ESO? MMO's a dying genre?

Bungie is developing their next AAA IP code-named Destiny, Blizzard's largest and most talented team is working on project Titan. If MMO's were truly dying, they wouldn't put that much man power on it. Then you have Bethesda who have been on a killing spree of great games, are coming up with an Elder Scrolls MMO. 

MMO's are not dying but becoming the FUTURE of gaming! Up before Halo, FPS were uncommon on console systems, untill Jason Jones created Halo for the Xbox and FPS was suddenly the most popular genre for console systems. The same way, I anticipate possibly a same scenario for MMO's where I believe by next generation of consoles MMO's will be much more common. No more limitations by interface matchmaking, servers isolating players inside linear corridor's... instead we will have a seamless world and experience. Am I the only one noticing the potential greatness of the MMO genre? Or am I just overhyping? State your arguments why MMO's are dying, i'm curious why lots feel this way.

Comments

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298

I think the more traditional open world, 'grindy' mmo are dieing; and there is a move to faster paced, more lobby orientated 'casual' mmo games.  We have seen this with many MORTS, MOFPS and even the more mainstream MMORGS which have become casual friendly (despite the fact that the GW2 combat system is apparently so complex that only those people who play it could possibly understand it).    

But that makes sense, as the average gamer age rises people have less disposable time, and as the older mechanics have all been experienced before there is less enjoyment to be found in grinding your way slowly through a generic fantasy world.  

Personally I like the idea of an online world, but I also no longer have the time to spend in one that I did when I was younger.  

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

As far as I know Destiny isn't an MMO. Even Bungie refuses to call it as such. It is always online though, and you get to play on a persistent world, which are two prominent features of an MMO.

What I see is the "always online" games are gaining popularity on consoles. This has been around in PCs for a while though. From a business standpoint it combats piracy and at the same time opens up a business model that is much lucrative than simply selling copies of the game.

From a gamer's POV it allows us to share this one (presumably) big world with thousands of other people. Apparently that's enough for some people to wet their pants.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

As far as I know Destiny isn't an MMO. Even Bungie refuses to call it as such. It is always online though, and you get to play on a persistent world, which are two prominent features of an MMO.

What I see is the "always online" games are gaining popularity on consoles. This has been around in PCs for a while though. From a business standpoint it combats piracy and at the same time opens up a business model that is much lucrative than simply selling copies of the game.

From a gamer's POV it allows us to share this one (presumably) big world with thousands of other people. Apparently that's enough for some people to wet their pants.

They are calling it a MMO Shared world shooter. The whole game can be played SP or tackled with lots of people like and mmo. Its what swtor should have been a SP game with MP. Its kinda weird. Without knowing more info it seems like its gonna be MMO meets coop.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• zylon0zylon0 Member Posts: 36

They are not dying. The cashgrab casual market's focuss is shiftting from mmorpg to mmo.

Maybe this is for the better, so mmorpg will get smaller, made by the fans for the fans and back to its roots.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I don't see MMO as dying genre at all, or why we have X number born every year.
    I see more like fight for my wallet (XD) and too large choice of good MMO but no one as MEGA MMO including all good features of each A+++ game.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    No. The MMO is not dying. We have ArcheAge, EverQuest Next, and Black Desert to look forward to. There are plenty of dev teams that are aware of all the cookie-cutter bs.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Paincake    State your arguments why MMO's are dying, i'm curious why lots feel this way.

i havent seen anyone post that mmos are dying

-- ive seen plenty of people post that they are in a rut tho

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    I see MMOs fragmenting and morphing in to single player games. Traditional MMO market isn't dying but it's not growing. MOBAs and other limited player games with massive hubs are clearly future. People want to play social, together with other players but not dedicating there life to game like MMOs traditionally needed.
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Who says they are going to die?

The MMO or rather online market remains only one of two areas of growth in the gaming industry (alongside mobile). It isn't going to die. It is however getting a lot more competitive and risky.

Most companies can't afford to drop down 50-100mil on a game, let alone an MMO which needs to make regular income. This is instead the dawn of diversification in the western market, where smaller companies start doing more unusual things, rather than just copying the big boys.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Paincake

Bungie is developing their next AAA IP code-named Destiny, Blizzard's largest and most talented team is working on project Titan. If MMO's were truly dying, they wouldn't put that much man power on it. Then you have Bethesda who have been on a killing spree of great games, are coming up with an Elder Scrolls MMO. 

MMO's are not dying but becoming the FUTURE of gaming! Up before Halo, FPS were uncommon on console systems, untill Jason Jones created Halo for the Xbox and FPS was suddenly the most popular genre for console systems. The same way, I anticipate possibly a same scenario for MMO's where I believe by next generation of consoles MMO's will be much more common. No more limitations by interface matchmaking, servers isolating players inside linear corridor's... instead we will have a seamless world and experience. Am I the only one noticing the potential greatness of the MMO genre? Or am I just overhyping? State your arguments why MMO's are dying, i'm curious why lots feel this way.

i assume you never played mmos before WoW?

mmos used to be more seamless then it is now.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Paincake

1. Bethesda is not making TESO...

2. Who is saying MMOs are dying?!?

3. Dont confuse people saying MMOs are stagnant from lack of originality with "dying"...subscriptions...now that is dying.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

If you mean the banal, linear, redundant Themepark model of MMO, I can only say I hope so.

Its time for a re-emergence and rebirth of the Virtual World.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• lantesh1lantesh1 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    It's not dying, just completely oversaturated with a lot of games that have no staying power due to them being a bunch of flash with no staying power as actual virtual worlds, which is what retained players to begin with..
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Destiny is not an MMO.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    If the genre isn't dying then why is every mmo in the last decade terrible? Just because companies continually throw money in the garbage doesn't mean the endeavor is thriving.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    If the genre isn't dying then why is every mmo in the last decade terrible? Just because companies continually throw money in the garbage doesn't mean the endeavor is thriving.

Just because you think they're terrible doesn't mean the genre is dying. The world does not revolve around your subjective opinion.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Where's the pie charts and graphs?
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Destiny sounds like a good game.

IGN has a feature on it. The best quote

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/17/bungies-destiny-a-land-of-hope-and-dreams

"Within the game proper, Jones said they know that players “don’t want to work hard, they don’t want to read, and they don’t’ want to go to the Internet to figure out our bullshit.” In other words, they understand that what they’re making is escapist entertainment.

“This has led us to a huge investment in [user interface],” Jones explained. Clearly, Bungie has a story to tell and information to convey, but they don’t want to bog you down with any of it."

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

I think the more traditional open world, 'grindy' mmo are dieing; and there is a move to faster paced, more lobby orientated 'casual' mmo games.  We have seen this with many MORTS, MOFPS and even the more mainstream MMORGS which have become casual friendly (despite the fact that the GW2 combat system is apparently so complex that only those people who play it could possibly understand it).    

But that makes sense, as the average gamer age rises people have less disposable time, and as the older mechanics have all been experienced before there is less enjoyment to be found in grinding your way slowly through a generic fantasy world.  

Personally I like the idea of an online world, but I also no longer have the time to spend in one that I did when I was younger.  

Thank god too.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53

I don't see MMO as a dying genre. Even though they have been around for roughly almost two decades, it is still a very young genre, in its early childhood. I expect a lot of change and evolution out of MMORPGs as developers learn what they can and can't get away with, and what to do in order to retain a strong player base.

2013 will be a very interesting year for the MMORPG.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

MMO's aren't dying, they're evolving.

They come in more diverse shapes and flavors every year. And there are more of them every year. Admittedly, at present it's more a case of quantity than quality, but as with every evolutionary process, there'll be far more failures than successes.

The "classic MMORPG" and multiplayer co-op styles are converging, and a blend of those will most likely become the dominant form of online play. But there's still an audience for the "classic MMORPG", just as there will always be an audience for FFA-PVP MMO's.

I always have to laugh at people that say: "Nowadays, nobody has time to play the old grindy games that took ages to level-up. That was fine when we were college students, but we're all older now with responsibilities, etc." Presumably those people believe they were the last generation of young people. There were never any young people again after them.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Preface required to a statement like "MMOs are dying!" seems to include the unspoken, "What I want mmos to be".

And yes, for any given person in the crowd (:Point: Hey you!:) that could mean that the genre is, or is not, "dying".

Declarations of Doom tend to be highly personal things. Perhaps that's why doom prophets seem to need so much external affirmation.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    How many MMOs do you need to find a home in one of them?
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

MMOs are not dying, but there are WAY too many titles already, people jump from one MMO to the next, new shiny is coming, gets devoured and left behind in the dust. Companies need profitable business models so they can survive with 100K players or less, that is the future. Doesn´t matter if there are a million players in the first month when half or more of them are gone in the next quarter *cough* TOR *cough*.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by maplestone
    How many MMOs do you need to find a home in one of them?

Well at least one more in my case.  I have a great desire to play an MMORPG to pass some time each day.  Unfortunately none of the current games are interesting for me at this time.  Looking ahead I have little interest in the upcoming titles.  EQnext may be interesting to me but I see nothing else on the horizon.