Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: A New Warrior Approaches

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In this week's Guild Wars 2 Column, David North muses on a topic many of us probably think about... what would the next race added to the playable races be in Tyria? Read on for David's thoughts and see if you agree.

I could start things off with the most obvious choice, but let’s start things off weird.  This request from players really caught me off guard, but the Quagan has captured the hearts of players everywhere.  A special plush Quaggan backpack has even been thrown into the gem store!  These cuties have become a big hit, but why play as one?  The Quaggan don’t look like fierce warriors such as the Charr.  Maybe it’s the way they speak.  I could see players now typing in chat, “ Quaggan plays as Quaggan.”   Players sure are weird.

Read the rest of David North's Guild Wars 2: A New Warrior Approaches.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    YES!  Quaggans would make a great addition, though as seen in the game, their personalities don't match that of a hardened warrior (generally, there is one notable exception in the story missions).  Centaurs would have some interesting racial moves too.  Good article.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Quaggans foooorrr new race!

Fooooo

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Tengu :P
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    All of the above.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

I think you nailed it. Tengu and Kodan are both very real possibilities. It almost feels like a choice between which comes first, not which would we eventually get. I could see the Living Story taking place up north driving more Kodan south, and personally that would be my first choice. Although the Tengu offer probably more customization options. I would like to see a bigger story develop around them before they are introduced.

One I think you missed is the assassin race of Largos. I know many people including myself would love to see them as playable. Could be a ton of customization with thier wings, but again, armoring them could be an issue for Anet. I have no love for centaurs and personally wouldnt like to see them playable, but I have no doubts others feel differently. I dont see them being playable either way, because as you said, they offer unique challenges in armoring them, and they are antagonists in the story, wouldnt make sense for them to all of a sudden turn friendly. And the quaggan although cute and adorable, would not make a good playable race. Rather a fun child-like companion if anything, but certainly not a "hero".

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I choose none of the above. Because the game needs more RP-support, housing, and mounts way before it needs another hollow playable race. 
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I want the Skritt.  Racial ability:  buffs granted for being around other Skritt.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    I choose none of the above. Because the game needs more RP-support, housing, and mounts way before it needs another hollow playable race. 

Doesn't need housing - waste of resouces - MOUNTS ARE NOT PART OF THE LORE - jeez - read the lore and that is why we have TP - don't need mounts as another waste of resources.

They are a small company and as such - doing the best they can. Yes, they messed but a bit, who hasn't (Trion did some beauts just after the release of Rift). They are also still supporting GW1.

I think it should be Tengu. If you did the add in to GW1, if you had the Bonus Mission Pack, you could play as Master Togo and help the Tengu in Cantha. I think Cantha would also be a nice add on then.

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

I really thought I was going to love playing charr.  I'm glad it's in there as it's nice to have the option, but I just keep ignoring mine because I don't enjoy playing it.  Some people don't mind it or like it, but the bulk and running animation make it feel to "heavy."  I guess I just prefer playing more humanoid races. 

Along with that thinking I don't believe centaur as a race would work very well.  It may be fun for a bit but the game doesn't seem designed well for that particular kind of playable race.  I'm specifically thinking about traversing vertical areas, jumping puzzles and whatnot.  A lot of times you're jumping on posts, sticks and other small platforms that would just be odd with a horselike body. /shrug

I'm not all that eager to play one, but from the list of existing races I think tengu is most likely.  Not only because of the customization possibilities and the 'ease' of making them playable, but also the fact that they already have a presence within Lion's Arch and have verbage about needing to trust the other races before letting us through to their territory. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by botrytis

Doesn't need housing - waste of resouces - MOUNTS ARE NOT PART OF THE LORE - jeez - read the lore and that is why we have TP - don't need mounts as another waste of resources.

They are a small company and as such - doing the best they can. Yes, they messed but a bit, who hasn't (Trion did some beauts just after the release of Rift). They are also still supporting GW1.

I think it should be Tengu. If you did the add in to GW1, if you had the Bonus Mission Pack, you could play as Master Togo and help the Tengu in Cantha. I think Cantha would also be a nice add on then.

Wrong!!!!!!!!

Mounts and housing are an important feature for any game to get right and to exclude them is to take away from your playerbase.  We already have enough silly races in GW2 there needs to be other forms of content before we talk of new races.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I also feel new classes are needed more then new races.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    I also feel new classes are needed more then new races.

^

new races are fine and all.  but new classes would interest me more.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I am sure anything like a new class, race, housing, or mounts will be in the first expansion if at all.  I for one, am happy with what's there and mostly want to see housing which is always a lot of fun.  I really like the way they are fine tuning the features, and adding things like dailys that make me want to log in every day.  They really need to focus on that until the first expansion, which I am guessing will be coming late this year.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i'd much rather have several new weapon sets per class then waste time on another race:) although the entire trait tree would need a revamp to accommodate new weapon sets...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    instead of new anything, how about overhauling the current classes so you can really make custom builds and play in interesting ways.
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    instead of new anything, how about overhauling the current classes so you can really make custom builds and play in interesting ways.

you already can do that on pretty much every single class.. only one i felt somewhat limited was warrior.. even though they have a ton of weapons  i didn't feel enough of the builds worked well compared to a select few.. Right now on my mesmer i run a staff + sword/pistol condition build, I have a GS + Staff shatter build, A GS + sword/focus DPS build with focus on keeping phantasms out, a mantra healing support build, a bunker build and every single one plays nothing like the other one. Traits + your equipment loadout + utility skills can completely change how you play pretty much any class

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    i'd much rather have several new weapon sets per class then waste time on another race:) although the entire trait tree would need a revamp to accommodate new weapon sets...

We aren't so different.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    I would play a "christian" race just to mock those that cant get over the lack of the holy trinity...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by azzamasin

Wrong!!!!!!!!

Mounts and housing are an important feature for any game to get right and to exclude them is to take away from your playerbase.  We already have enough silly races in GW2 there needs to be other forms of content before we talk of new races.

To you housing and mounts are important. In the lore of GW2, there were no mounts - period. Putting them is is the equivalent of adding the 3 faction PvP in a a 2 faction only game - Rift. It is a lore/game breaker.

As far as housing is concerned, as I said, in my opinion, it is a waste of bandwidth and a silly time sink. Rift has housing and mounts already. Putting them in GW2, will just make it the same as other MMO out there and I prefer it to be unique.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

P

S

honesty the Tengu dont look that cool in the game. they seem very puny for my taste. and what class would I play it on? I already have a character for each class. if a new Soldier gets added, its very unlikely it will be something other than Norn or Human.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

To you housing and mounts are important. In the lore of GW2, there were no mounts - period. As far as housing is concerned, as I said, in my opinion, it is a waste of bandwidth and a silly time sink. Rift has housing and mounts already. Putting them in GW2, will just make it the same as other MMO out there and I prefer it to be unique.

not having housing makes it unique?!? Most MMOs dont have housing so by what you said, it makes it like the majority of games.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs

To you housing and mounts are important. In the lore of GW2, there were no mounts - period. As far as housing is concerned, as I said, in my opinion, it is a waste of bandwidth and a silly time sink. Rift has housing and mounts already. Putting them in GW2, will just make it the same as other MMO out there and I prefer it to be unique.

not having housing makes it unique?!? Most MMOs dont have housing so by what you said, it makes it like the majority of games.

i'd much prefer large fully customizable guild halls than instanced personal player housing...

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by jtcgs

i'd much prefer large fully customizable guild halls than instanced personal player housing...

As would I and that is what I was trying to get to.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    i prefer the new race whit wing (forgot name) you can see it from personal story and sill point challenge. they are mysterius and very unique

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by achesoma
    I want the Skritt.  Racial ability:  buffs granted for being around other Skritt.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.. They have a lot of options to choose from current NPC's, Quaggan, Hylek, Centaurs... I'd even suggest Grawl as an option.