Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you aware of Age of Wushu ?

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

So, while the whole western MMO development was trying to copy WOW ,  brave innovators opened new horisons by trying to copy 15 year old Ultima Online or promised to break every MMO principle instead bringing us arcadish shallow casual game.

In China they knew non of that , and went to create massive multiplayer game...

So simply the thing is this

Game where most of the content is based on player interaction - even pve. How did we never thought about that in a MMO game ?!

Anyway. The game maybe not be for you. But you own yourself to try it , if you ever wondered what would MMO world be if everyone was not copying WOW (Or ultima)

Sadly our Chinese buddyes belive in cash shop and mighty power of F2P - or as they call it B2W in PVP games.

Maybe sometime in the future they open a subscription server and equal fighting ground...

Comments

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Checked it out. Will do so again if they ever hire professional translators to localize it into English. But not before.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by Banquetto
    Checked it out. Will do so again if they ever hire professional translators to localize it into English. But not before.

Heh this and if they remove the ability to turn RL money into in game money.

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163

It really is a good game. I love the system mechanics and the danger that lurks around every corner from other players. But the translations really are horrible. There is very little explaination on what to do or how to do it so most of the helpful hints come from other players in your school or player written guides.

This game really needs a wiki.

They could also take out the multiple forms of currency or add more ways to earn Silver. I think trade between players should have just used silver coin though. 

Other than that, I'm enjoying it.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

The translations are borderline ok.

Game system is super complicated and not well explained. But it reminds me of the old MMOs and games - the ones we always like to mention here. They were often so complicated , you really needed to go outside the game to find the answers.

I think it adds to experience. And I like the challenge , instead of my mind being dumbed down and zombified.

Unfortuantelly there is no doubt the game was built as P2W

:(

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    P2W elements and a horrible interface made me want not to play it. I'd rather just go back to EVE.
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    P2W elements and a horrible interface made me want not to play it. I'd rather just go back to EVE.

Comparison to EVE is completelly unfitting. There is nothing similar with this two games , except to a small extent a fact that you gain exp pool (not learn skills) while you are offline. And the fact that both are sandbox.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Both are PvP-focused sandboxes with optional quests and a time-based character progression system. It's like saying that "I'd rather go back to WoW than play GW2". They uh... fill the same niche in my soul image

The weird thing is that, IMO, EVE is easier to get into. It has an understandable UI and decent tutorial missions, while AoW has an awful, ugly UI and tutorials that are basically useless because of how poorly-translated they are. I could live with bad tutorials, but the UI... dear God, it's so bad... just sad and awful and horrible. Makes a big man cry.

Both are PvP-focused sandboxes with optional quests and a time-based character progression system. It's like saying that "I'd rather go back to WoW than play GW2". They uh... fill the same niche in my soul image

The weird thing is that, IMO, EVE is easier to get into. It has an understandable UI and decent tutorial missions, while AoW has an awful, ugly UI and tutorials that are basically useless because of how poorly-translated they are. I could live with bad tutorials, but the UI... dear God, it's so bad... just sad and awful and horrible. Makes a big man cry.

Wushu is less PVP focused than EVE.

Its also beautyfull game where you are actually character and not ship. With great open world countryside , NPCs that go about their lives ... etc

Its really simulation of ancient martial art china.

Also tutorials are not that bad. Maybe you are talking about some older game version ?

UI is pretty standard too.

• zylon0zylon0 Member Posts: 36

I like your enthousiasm Lobotomist, but for me this game is to asian for my taste.

I do not like the setting at all.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96

OP good thing you mentioned it I am so hooked on Wushu now its crazy. It grows on you alot and the features and depth it contains keeps my brain working at all times. I literally sometimes get lost in sub menus of menus, soaking up all the new features that I find. 

This is the best martial arts sandbox MMO out right now, period.

And the game world. It is beautiful, immersive, and a living breathing world. But its mostly about the features.

AND THE PHYSICS? I swear not one review mentioned this. But basically every building is scaleable, every wall you can run up on, even water can be walked on if you know enough skills. The flying skills and dynamic environment make for crazy fun fights. For me its not even the combat but more how I use the environment to my advantage. Very few games have given me that feeling, ever.

The features on this game are amazing. Like OP said everything is player driven and player run, so it feels like a sandbox. The devs just added a crazy amount of things to do and said go nuts. 

Now aside from pointing out the very cool spying system, school wars, kidnapping, life skills, guild wars, etc. the game also has OPEN PvP and a player policing system where bad guys go to in-game jail. You have a bounty system in place, and this is just one of tons of organic player driven things. So you have bounty hunters hunting their criminal prey, while the criminals try to elude capture. Its relieving how I get to make my own missions, so for example if I wanted to bounty hunt I have to do some research on the guy and find out where he hangs out, where he hides, etc.

PLUS, how come nobody has mentioned this game has MINIMAL GRIND! You never need to kill endles mobs, you can level skills offline, and the life skill aka job grind even has a daily cap and optional mini games.

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    P2W elements and a horrible interface made me want not to play it. I'd rather just go back to EVE

It is no more P2W than EVE or GW2. In EVE you can buy currency with RL money as well. The Wushu shop only sells cosmetic stuff and convenience buffs, nothing like skills weapons or anything like that. 

If you play this game like a p2p game you are not at a disadvantage, and anyone can get what people bought with enough hard work and effort.

Also lol you cant "go back to EVE" the two are completely different and cater to different settings. So if you like space more than kung fu hey. 

Originally posted by zylon0

I like your enthousiasm Lobotomist, but for me this game is to asian for my taste.

Funny thing is regardless of location or race it is one of the few worlds that feel alive. Hell you can play a game with an American setting like TSW and not only does it have half the culture of the Ming dynasty but the world feels static. 

I've never even been to Asia but the vistas and water painting esque atmosphere blew me away. 

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    I dont' even know what it is.  All I know is there are maybe 20 asian martial art game coming out each year and it is one of it.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Yes im aware. Will I try it or play it? No. It has a degree of P2W and has terrible localization.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

A few misconceptions about the game.

1) It is no sandbox.

You have to level up your char to max, get gear and then you can join PVP. The only difference from traditional themepark is way you level up - there is no story questing in AoW, principle is the same though.

2) The game is no "P2W" (idiotic meaningless terms btw).

Spending money will make you max your char and getting the gear faster only but there is no game play advantage you can purchase from the cash shop.

3) The game isn't that complex, just has very bad description/explanation.

You gain XP via "activities" and then you turn XP into cultivation points that are then used for training your internal skill(your level) or combat skills.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by zylon0

Same here. There are a few other things that bug me about the game too.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    10 for innovation. Anything less would be a journalistic crime.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

You can just taste the bitterness, contempt and bias from the first sentence of the OP. You're not a very good frontman for this game. And you're not selling this game very well.

But what do I don't know... maybe your speech worked on Goatgod.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

I know the game is not for everyone and it is not perfect ( no game is ) but I am loving it and it has has given me that first mmorpg feeling, which I never thought would happen again.

The pvp systems are great and integrated into the core of the game unlike the western mmorpgs that segregate the pvp from the actual game. The pvp in AoW is much more skilled based then p2w.

Every day I read people on this site complaining about WoW clones, well these people need to give AoW a try.

Also don’t get fooled by the first few hours of the game because once you can start pvp the game really opens up.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Nice feature set here, a breath of fresh air. Tried the US beta and liked what I saw for the most part. Practically waiting for the Euorepean release at this point.

No idea if it's a game I'll play for a long time (not likely because of the payment model, sadly), but I'm going to give it at least a few weeks' try nevertheless.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

I would also like to point out how smooth this game runs, even with lots of people in the same area. This is a feature that all recent western mmorpgs  I played have failed at doing and it is even better that there is not multiple shards ( or whatever you want to call them ) of the same area.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Your wish is granted: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/11/age-of-wushu-gets-a-ui-and-localization-overhaul/

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    We have a forum for the game. Just moved this here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    I'm between MMOs atm (debating whether or not to reactivate EvE to get some skill training going again), I have a beta code lying around somewhere, So I might give this a shot.  I'm home for the next few days so I could use something to do.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Derros
    I'm between MMOs atm (debating whether or not to reactivate EvE to get some skill training going again), I have a beta code lying around somewhere, So I might give this a shot.  I'm home for the next few days so I could use something to do.

pm me if you have any questions

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"