Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Failure for Funcom

DeviateDeviate Member UncommonPosts: 219

Well, when I first heard about this game some time ago, I thought the premise and setting sounded very cool. Unfortunately I knew Funcoms track record and wasn't buying into any hype. Good thing I did, because this has to be the quickest an mmo has gone free to play in history!!

Unfortunately Failcom is the pinacle of below mediocre developing that was instrumental in creating an industry of half finished, buggy content with combat and character animations that are about as fluid as mud.

The bottom line is this, if people keep buying games from developers that are putting out subpar products, it will never change.

Now the new business model is to go subscription at launch to milk people of the box cost and maybe a years worth of sub cash, then they go free to play and rake in more money with cash shops.

Comments

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Wow, what a totally original post. Gosh, no one has ever said anything like that before. Why, Why didn't we see it coming. We'll never be as wise as you. Thank you so much for the enlightenment.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Deviate

Well, when I first heard about this game some time ago, I thought the premise and setting sounded very cool. Unfortunately I knew Funcoms track record and wasn't buying into any hype. Good thing I did, because this has to be the quickest an mmo has gone free to play in history!!

Unfortunately Failcom is the pinacle of below mediocre developing that was instrumental in creating an industry of half finished, buggy content with combat and character animations that are about as fluid as mud.

The bottom line is this, if people keep buying games from developers that are putting out subpar products, it will never change.

Now the new business model is to go subscription at launch to milk people of the box cost and maybe a years worth of sub cash, then they go free to play and rake in more money with cash shops.

Is this some kind of strange ad? 

If not, this post is the best case of captain hindsight in a long time. well done :)

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Wow, what a totally original post. Gosh, no one has ever said anything like that before. Why, Why didn't we see it coming. We'll never be as wise as you. Thank you so much for the enlightenment.

This and more....

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Geee, what an original sarcastic reply. Gosh, no one has ever patronized anybody like this before. We'll never be as witty as you. Thank you so much for the enlightenment.

Regardless if what he has to say has been stated before , it doesn't mean others aren't allow to say how they  feel on a subject in their own words. You simply have the choice of not clicking on the link. You went out your way to be negative towards him by entering a thread you knew was of a topic you personally are jaded with.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I have 1 question.

Did you bother to play the game or did you just want to start a semantics discussion on "time to go free-to-play"?

Nothing in your post relates to any experience you could have gained from playing the game so it really just looks like you are trotting out a limp argument with no real substance, in short, this looks like a very weak troll attempt.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

Geee, what an original sarcastic reply. Gosh, no one has ever patronized anybody like this before. We'll never be as witty as you. Thank you so much for the enlightenment.

Regardless if what he has to say has been stated before , it doesn't mean others aren't allow to say how they  feel on a subject in their own words. You simply have the choice of not clicking on the link. You went out your way to be negative towards him by entering a thread you knew was of a topic you personally are jaded with.

Ahaha this reply is great, You won the aguement IamMMO nice job at juxtapositing that arguement.

Leethe there is the option to skip commenting on issues you have previously seen stated, if its the same-old same-old. Doesn't make you wrong in that yes this comment seem liek a few months late but hey, not everyone follows Mmorpg all the time or every mmorpg all the time.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Age of Conan and Secret World are - besides EvE-  the best MMOs on the market, and you Sir are trolling, not even making one point that makes sense for discussion. 

Besides, Anarchy Online is one of the longest running MMOs, so there is your "track record" Funcom is known for.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Original and Refreshing comment that Funcom deserves. You Sir Win !

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Jetrpg
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

Ahaha this reply is great, You won the aguement IamMMO nice job at juxtapositing that arguement.

Leethe there is the option to skip commenting on issues you have previously seen stated, if its the same-old same-old. Doesn't make you wrong in that yes this comment seem liek a few months late but hey, not everyone follows Mmorpg all the time or every mmorpg all the time.

+1 from me as well.  They get on my tits those idiot belittling posts.  

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by FromHell

Age of Conan and Secret World are - besides EvE-  the best MMOs on the market, and you Sir are trolling, not even making one point that makes sense for discussion. 

Besides, Anarchy Online is one of the longest running MMOs, so there is your "track record" Funcom is known for.

Can't get past bad animation and combat, sorry.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont think its the quickest as it has not gone free to play.. its gone buy to play..

The only way Funcom failed was by expecting to have tons more players.. all devs need to relaise that on average MMOs dont have millions and millinos of subs..

Take wow out of the picture and look at the average player base of all other AAA themepark mmos on the market and your probally looking at under 500k sub numbers for them all.. sure some may have peaked higher for a bit but most settled below the 500k mark.. and this is what MMO devs should aim for..

Saying that TSW is actually a very good game it just didnt make the numbers they wanted so of course in turn did not make enough cahs for them... so they then had to look at other ways to make cash..

Now sure TSW might not be to everyones taste but for me it was one of the better themepark MMOs released last year..

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

At first I thought the time anomaly from STO's extended anniversary event somehow reached out of the game and affecting the interwebz...

I guess you missed a couple months with that. But it's good to see now you're catching up. May I suggest for the next thread's theme FC's plans on restructuring? :)

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

Man, you are even worse than the ''thread-maker'' who is personally wrong. There´s different between opinion and fact. Techinically, beside opinions, WoW, GW2 and Rift are the leading MMOs nowadays and this is a ''fact'' based on popularity and sales.

Age of Conan is nothing but a F2P MMO, with no huge population and is surprsingly on the level where other F2P MMOs can compete with it. Secret World, is great on the other hand, they made many things right but well, there are still flaws and the game isn´t for everyone though is personally a favo of mine. Anwyays, technically, it is not considered to be a ''big title'' out there, unlike some, like WoW or GW2.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by eGumball

Man, you are even worse than the ''thread-maker'' who is personally wrong. There´s different between opinion and fact. Techinically, beside opinions, WoW, GW2 and Rift are the leading MMOs nowadays and this is a ''fact'' based on popularity and sales.

Age of Conan is nothing but a F2P MMO, with no huge population and is surprsingly on the level where other F2P MMOs can compete with it. Secret World, is great on the other hand, they made many things right but well, there are still flaws and the game isn´t for everyone though is personally a favo of mine. Anwyays, technically, it is not considered to be a ''big title'' out there, unlike some, like WoW or GW2.

SO hes a troll because he actually enjoys TSW and AoC? Then I must be a troll because I to think those are some of the best mmos on the market currently. They both have the best graphics, IMO the most different themeparks out there. Guild cities, somewhat different combat, some of the best quests out their, amazing raids, ect ect. FC knew that AoC and TSW were gonna be niche games. And its dont pretty well for them. True they had some lay offs but Id rather see a refreshing mmo with low pop then another wow clone with high pop.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

Techinically, beside opinions, WoW, GW2 and Rift are the leading MMOs nowadays and this is a ''fact'' based on popularity and sales.

Well I wouldn´t touch those "leading" titles with a six foot pole. But hey thanks for the sales pitch.

I prefer rated M games instead of the pointless cartoon fantasy run off the mill MMOs.

http://youtu.be/T2X_SbZCHpc?t=21s

http://youtu.be/8puCIKvx65o?t=2m32s

The Return of ELITE !

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

SO hes a troll because he actually enjoys TSW and AoC? Then I must be a troll because I to think those are some of the best mmos on the market currently. They both have the best graphics, IMO the most different themeparks out there. Guild cities, somewhat different combat, some of the best quests out their, amazing raids, ect ect. FC knew that AoC and TSW were gonna be niche games. And its dont pretty well for them. True they had some lay offs but Id rather see a refreshing mmo with low pop then another wow clone with high pop.

OP didn't just outright say TSW/Funcom sucks and then left. OP cited the following as crippling defects of Funcom games:

Unfortunately Failcom is the pinacle of below mediocre developing that was instrumental in creating an industry of:

- half finished, buggy content, with

- combat and character animations that are about as fluid as mud.

Then proceeds to make an observation:

No matter how relatively "good" Anarchy Online was, AOC was released unfinished and with so much bugs that cost it to bleed subs and eventually go F2P. TSW had a CS in place and went F2P so quick you'd think they never had complete faith in their product as P2P worthy in the first place.

Now this guy FromHell proceeds to antagonize him, giving no counter argument whatsoever aside from stating that AOC and TSW are presently THE BEST MMOs in the market. I mean, that's it?

• shassashassa Member Posts: 8

What a pointless and uninformed thread starter. Whilst, like others, I respect the posters right to post, I generally prefer something with a point or at least some information rather than a childish rant. The free to play business model can be very succesful and does not always reflect the success or otherwise of a MMORPG. Guild wars was a financial success with their original pay for the box and no subscription model. Subscription only is becoming a thing of the past; it discourages many new or casual players who might never try that particular game.

The majority of games have bugs when released ( WoW was a nightmare, before becoming very succesful.) MMORPG's are expensive to produce, and whilst holding back until it is perfect would be ideal for the gamer, there are bills to pay and huge numbers of staff on big wages, the game needs to be making money as soon as possible, within reason.

As a relative newcomer to this site, I am amazed at the negativity and, if I believed half of the posters, I would not bother to try any of the stuff out there at the moment. Thankfully, most, like this thread starter, are tosh. There are many fine games out there. Most people do not post but just play. I have loved Eve, EQ 1 and 2 , WoW, Vanguard, Aion, Rift , Age of Conan ( great Funcom game) and a number of others.

My only gripe is that companies tend to dumb down a game to attract custom. When this goes too far, like Rift, I leave; but I still enjoyed my time with Trion and feel no need to grief them ( well, not too much).

My wife bought The Secret World, and she really likes it. I will be joining her shortly. We like the challenge of the missions with little hand holding ( no big yellow arrows) and the fact that a company has tried to be different. i am happy to pay for my entertainment and will use cash shops ( although I do not agree with pay to win.) If a company does not make money - they cease to exist and less entertainment is made.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

He's trolling because his opinion is different?  I think the two you listed are two of the worst MMOs on the market.  But I'm not going to say you're trolling.  I did, however, know the OP would be reported before I even opened the thread.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

Now this guy FromHell proceeds to antagonize him, giving no counter argument whatsoever aside from stating that AOC and TSW are presently THE BEST MMOs in the market. I mean, that's it?

What counter "argument" do you expect? OP is trolling with "Half finished buggy content" and some mystical "Funcom´s track record" implications. His post is an empty accusation with zero arguments.

He jumps on the bad animation bandwagon where I still don´t see where the animations are any different than in other titles, except for the animation blending they are already working on to improve. Also I like combat in TSW, if you don´t get how to make combat and skill wheel work in a way you enjoy it, you failed and should play any of the T rated cartoon fantasy games out there.

The Return of ELITE !

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Meh, I still like TSW.  The combat does the job, and the animations, I never really notice things like that.  I love the setting, the story, and the dungeon running with friends.  But this is coming from someone who loved AO after alot of it was fixed up.

The only game that I really could never get into for astetic reasons was Rift, just so bland looking.

Was the release horrible?  Not as bad as other games, but way buggier than it should have been, and that cost them.  Then again pretty par for the course for a funcom release.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

[mod edit]

• Game went b2p, not f2p
    • Game has 8 zones, over 450 missions (with multiple tiers each, inlcuding Tyler Freeborn, simply one of the best PvE missions ever created), 8 dungeons (3 modes each), 8 lairs, a raid, 3 PvP zones, with another major area (Tokyo) coming in 2013.   A Halloween Event, a Christmas Event, addition of RP venues and aux weapons:  how is this "half finished?"
    • Game has some minor bugs, and nothing that affects playability.
    • Level/class-free combat system is excellent, allowing players to learn and equip every weapon and ability in the game
    • Animations are average to good but not astounding -- they improved them since beta (when I assume the OP last played, as usual), and just got an improvment to the jump animation
    • Game always had a sub.  Even when it went b2p, there is an *option* to continue your sub, which simply gives benefits in the cash shop, discounts, DLC and item benefits.  
    [mod edit]
This discussion has been closed.