Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why CU has a chance to be successful...

shadeviceshadevice memphis, TNPosts: 68Member

Common sense, anti-narrow mindednesss coming to your dome,

If you bothered to read all of Marks blogs via links or the official CU website and have something that vaguly resembles intelligence, than you will realize the direction CU intends to head. 

It's not braving new waters instead its bringing back the old and mixing it with new. Exactly what the MMORPG world needs. Old school gamers and new mmorpg players alike are yearning for such a game. Sure the masses will always want dumbed down, easy, instant gratification game play. But there is a LARGE audience out there, you can almost feel it if you have a decent vibe on internet gaming. This audience needs a MMORPG the opposite of theme park, the opposite of hand holding etc...It needs CU.

Sorry to the PVE crowd. There is many amoung you who fit in the above category that I described. But if you did enjoy DAOC's RVR than perhaps you shouldn't completely stray away from this title. It really depends on how they implement progression in a RVR only game.

To those doubting CU's development and are skeptical about Marks words and the truth they carry. What do you have to lose? Sit back and wait for it to release and play the finished product. If you can't afford the cost of a game that sounds appealing enough to buy it, than get a job and stop gaming.

Common sense out

 

Comments

  • Lore84Lore84 NorthamptonPosts: 69Member
    I love the direction CU will be going, and im sure as hell going to be backing it.

    Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

  • SatariousSatarious Kansas City, MOPosts: 1,075Member
    Originally posted by shadevice

    Common sense, anti-narrow mindednesss coming to your dome,

    If you bothered to read all of Marks blogs via links or the official CU website and have something that vaguly resembles intelligence, than you will realize the direction CU intends to head. 

    It's not braving new waters instead its bringing back the old and mixing it with new. Exactly what the MMORPG world needs. Old school gamers and new mmorpg players alike are yearning for such a game. Sure the masses will always want dumbed down, easy, instant gratification game play. But there is a LARGE audience out there, you can almost feel it if you have a decent vibe on internet gaming. This audience needs a MMORPG the opposite of theme park, the opposite of hand holding etc...It needs CU.

    Sorry to the PVE crowd. There is many amoung you who fit in the above category that I described. But if you did enjoy DAOC's RVR than perhaps you shouldn't completely stray away from this title. It really depends on how they implement progression in a RVR only game.

    To those doubting CU's development and are skeptical about Marks words and the truth they carry. What do you have to lose? Sit back and wait for it to release and play the finished product. If you can't afford the cost of a game that sounds appealing enough to buy it, than get a job and stop gaming.

    Common sense out

     

    Couldn't have said it better myself.

  • sxvssxvs massillon, OHPosts: 109Member

    in a time where we always hear about the next big thing and are let down and hype, hype, hype.. you can't blame people for being skeptical.

     

     

  • SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by shadevice

    Common sense, anti-narrow mindednesss coming to your dome,

    If you bothered to read all of Marks blogs via links or the official CU website and have something that vaguly resembles intelligence, than you will realize the direction CU intends to head. 

    It's not braving new waters instead its bringing back the old and mixing it with new. Exactly what the MMORPG world needs. Old school gamers and new mmorpg players alike are yearning for such a game. Sure the masses will always want dumbed down, easy, instant gratification game play. But there is a LARGE audience out there, you can almost feel it if you have a decent vibe on internet gaming. This audience needs a MMORPG the opposite of theme park, the opposite of hand holding etc...It needs CU.

    Sorry to the PVE crowd. There is many amoung you who fit in the above category that I described. But if you did enjoy DAOC's RVR than perhaps you shouldn't completely stray away from this title. It really depends on how they implement progression in a RVR only game.

    To those doubting CU's development and are skeptical about Marks words and the truth they carry. What do you have to lose? Sit back and wait for it to release and play the finished product. If you can't afford the cost of a game that sounds appealing enough to buy it, than get a job and stop gaming.

    Common sense out

     

    I would bet many of the people posting the negative things have not read any or many of the blogs. It is almost as if they see Jacobs name and automatically go into pissing mode.

     

    Personally I will bide my time and see where this game goes, but as of now, I am pretty excited. I was a huge fan of DAoC and this game looks to bring the best of that game while dropping the fat. It could be great and of course it could be lousy. I will let the game actually come about before I pronounce it one way or the other.

    That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  • SmorakSmorak Saint Petersburg, FLPosts: 62Member

    How about the opposite Mr OP?  M Jacobs hasn't proven to anyone that he can actually create anything.

    Yes, he founded a company that eventually created DAoC.  Does that mean that Steve Jobs created the iPod?

    Mythic's follow up to DAoC used an IP.

    And now that he's got his own company again, he's making a DAoC clone.  Who's title is a mixture of DAoC and Django Unchained.  Seriously?!  Same three realm system, in the same lands, with the same type of realms (there's a viking style realm [come on!]).

    All of his blog posts suggest that he intends to make DAoC all over again.  But this time he will use a current engine and include Frontiers in the initial release.

     

    There's no way to prove me wrong unless he scraps this project and actually DESIGNS something totally original.  I'm sure most players can count higher than 3.  So there shouldn't be a cap on the realms in theory.  You could atleast create different names and places.  There are so many great posts so far on what fans want to know about and Jacobs spends time on "boob sliders."

     The last time this guy participated in the creation of a successful was 15 years ago.  And no where has it been said that he was the creative force behind a game that used a combination of already established mythos and historical locations.  He tells us all the things he dislikes and the game's goals.  But until I hear something that he is actually going to create from scratch, I'm not listening.

  • TadderTadder Naples, FLPosts: 38Member
    Originally posted by Smorak

    How about the opposite Mr OP?  M Jacobs hasn't proven to anyone that he can actually create anything.

    Yes, he founded a company that eventually created DAoC.  Does that mean that Steve Jobs created the iPod?

    Mythic's follow up to DAoC used an IP.

    And now that he's got his own company again, he's making a DAoC clone.  Who's title is a mixture of DAoC and Django Unchained.  Seriously?!  Same three realm system, in the same lands, with the same type of realms (there's a viking style realm [come on!]).

    All of his blog posts suggest that he intends to make DAoC all over again.  But this time he will use a current engine and include Frontiers in the initial release.

     

    There's no way to prove me wrong unless he scraps this project and actually DESIGNS something totally original.  I'm sure most players can count higher than 3.  So there shouldn't be a cap on the realms in theory.  You could atleast create different names and places.  There are so many great posts so far on what fans want to know about and Jacobs spends time on "boob sliders."

     The last time this guy participated in the creation of a successful was 15 years ago.  And no where has it been said that he was the creative force behind a game that used a combination of already established mythos and historical locations.  He tells us all the things he dislikes and the game's goals.  But until I hear something that he is actually going to create from scratch, I'm not listening.

    So a CEO doesn't get credit for the products his company produces and its success because he doesn't influence it, but we have to know his thoughts on the development CU because he will influence it? A studio doesn't have to create original IP to create a good MMO.

  • SmorakSmorak Saint Petersburg, FLPosts: 62Member
    Originally posted by Tadder

    So a CEO doesn't get credit for the products his company produces and its success because he doesn't influence it, but we have to know his thoughts on the development CU because he will influence it? A studio doesn't have to create original IP to create a good MMO.

     

    Obvisouly you missed the whole point of the post.  The CEO gets credit for EVERYTHING that a company produces:  customer service, employee benefits, public relations, supply and demand, creditors, investors, sales price, and the game itself.  That doesn't mean he's the creative mind behind anything.

    If you watch any movie award show, the producers thank the director, the director thanks the screen writers, and they thank the person who wrote the book.  But the best movies are where the director helps write the screenplay.  Can a company make a good MMO without an original IP?  Ofcourse.  But the best games of all time were originals.  Some guy thought about 2 brothers that were plummers almost 30 years ago.  And that idea has made billions.

  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by shadevice

    Common sense, anti-narrow mindednesss coming to your dome,

    If you bothered to read all of Marks blogs via links or the official CU website and have something that vaguly resembles intelligence, than you will realize the direction CU intends to head. 

    It's not braving new waters instead its bringing back the old and mixing it with new. Exactly what the MMORPG world needs. Old school gamers and new mmorpg players alike are yearning for such a game. Sure the masses will always want dumbed down, easy, instant gratification game play. But there is a LARGE audience out there, you can almost feel it if you have a decent vibe on internet gaming. This audience needs a MMORPG the opposite of theme park, the opposite of hand holding etc...It needs CU.

    Sorry to the PVE crowd. There is many amoung you who fit in the above category that I described. But if you did enjoy DAOC's RVR than perhaps you shouldn't completely stray away from this title. It really depends on how they implement progression in a RVR only game.

    To those doubting CU's development and are skeptical about Marks words and the truth they carry. What do you have to lose? Sit back and wait for it to release and play the finished product. If you can't afford the cost of a game that sounds appealing enough to buy it, than get a job and stop gaming.

    Common sense out

     

    this is what we call an internet crusader.

     

    He ventures deep into the pagan territory to spread light and faith upon all the unbelievers.

    image

  • redcappredcapp brook, NYPosts: 722Member

    I agree that CU will have a place in the next gen. of MMOs, but I don't think it's really the answer to the themepark... issue.

     

    That spot will be reserved for the next great sandbox.  We all know the ones currently in development.  Personally, I am excited to hear more about what Garriott is up to with his ultimate RPG.  

     

    With all these options, I think the next few years could be a good turnaround for the genre.

  • EaderbrecaEaderbreca MMORPG.com Streamer LPosts: 44Member
    2 Millions seems like a lot, but if it gets a lot of backers I think it's doable.

    (¯`v?¯) Sophie Breca (?.•?¯`•?.•*?¯`•*
    `*.?.*? Streamer at MMORPG.com
    (\__/)?.•?.•* DAoC PC Staff?)?.•*?)
    (="."=) (?.•? twitter.com/SophieBreca (?.•?
    (")_(")youtube.com/user/sophiebreca
    facebook.com/user/eaderbreca

  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon
    can someone link the kickstarter CU page ? my browser seem to fail to find it...:(

    image

  • Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade FlensburgPosts: 156Member
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    can someone link the kickstarter CU page ? my browser seem to fail to find it...:(

    The Kickstart for Camelot Unchained hasn´t been started. It will somewhere in March 2013.

    Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

  • NibsNibs .Posts: 216Member Uncommon

    Purely going by the various forums on the many gaming sites I lurk on when I should be doing work, there are certainly a number of 'veteran' gamers seeking a new game that is more like their old games than current games.

    There are also a number of newer gamers, perhaps brought into the MMO genre by WoW, perhaps not, that have also expressed a wish to experience what the 'vets' keep banging on about.

    Both camps claim that they can't simply play those old games to get their fix/new experience because the old games are indeed old and feel dated. Certainly the newer gamers expect better graphics, better UIs and generally 'modern' feeling to their games. This is what stops them from even trying the 10+ year old games that us old folk harp on about.

    This is why I feel CU has a chance. Depending on exactly what MJ means and does with his 'tiered subscription' model CU could show the newer gamers, particularly the PvPers, exactly what us older folks miss and why we keep banging on about 'the good old days'.

    If the entry level subscription is cheap enough that people are willing to give it a try I really think this game has the potential to be what many people are looking.

  • tom_goretom_gore TamperePosts: 1,796Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sxvs

    in a time where we always hear about the next big thing and are let down and hype, hype, hype.. you can't blame people for being skeptical.

     

     

    True. While most hype seems to be generated when devs are touting that their game will be the "next big thing", we've also had major letdowns by niche games aswell. Darkfall and Mortal Online immediately come to mind. Both were pre-release hailed as the next PvP MMO Messiah and neither aimed at the mass market. Mortal Online failed badly and Darkfall... well I guess you could call it a success, but the mess with DF:UW tells me the dev team is still learning how not to f*** their customers.

  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon

    MO failed for technical reasons primarily.

     

    If I'm testing a new car and find out the chair adjusting is broken and so is the windows rolling button...odds are I'm going to test another car where these things work. Unless that's the only car I can afford and my choices are to buy or to ride my bike for rest of my life :)

     

    a good concept MMO will get my hype. a good MMO, concept and implementation will get my money.

     

    if a new MMO can't compete with an old MMO, then I'll play the old one.

     

    I look at EVE and both in terms of gameplay and graphics its aging well. given a strong, loyal fanbase, other MMOs could also be in this situation. Main reason i couldn't tolerate Linage 2 was...game's a decade old and it has swimming but no jumping so if i fall in water I have to circle around until I can get o the shore like I'm a fish ? even fish can jump a little. I have legs. I can just "STAND" in shallow water. wtf is this ? If you havent fixed it by now I'm not going to....you get it.

    image

Sign In or Register to comment.