Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

JJ Abrams Directing Star Wars

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I'd take complaints about the 2009 Star Trek film reboot a bit more seriously if films such as Star Trek I, III, V, Generations, Insurrection (GRRR) and Nemesis didn't exist. Compared to those, ST2K9 is a masterpiece of Spielburgian proportions.

Hell, even on its own it's quite a good, enjoyable film which brings ST to a whole new generation of fans while remaining mostly true to the source material. The parellel universe angle was fairly clever in that it basically allows Abrams & others mostly free reign within the setting without having to worry about conflicting with established canon.

Yes, I do think the lens flare was a bit out of control. Yes, a few of the actors performances were dry (c'mon Karl Urban, you can do better! I've SEEN you do better!). But overall I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, and will definitely be seeing the sequel.

Oh, and I thought Enterprise was pretty good as well. Much better than say, early seasons of DS9.

My point is, although I am leery of a new Star Wars film I think that given creative freedom, Abrams can do great things for Star Wars.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

I'd take complaints about the 2009 Star Trek film reboot a bit more seriously if films such as Star Trek I, III, V, Generations, Insurrection (GRRR) and Nemesis didn't exist. Compared to those, ST2K9 is a masterpiece of Spielburgian proportions.

Hell, even on its own it's quite a good, enjoyable film which brings ST to a whole new generation of fans while remaining mostly true to the source material. The parellel universe angle was fairly clever in that it basically allows Abrams & others mostly free reign within the setting without having to worry about conflicting with established canon.

Yes, I do think the lens flare was a bit out of control. Yes, a few of the actors performances were dry (c'mon Karl Urban, you can do better! I've SEEN you do better!). But overall I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, and will definitely be seeing the sequel.

Oh, and I thought Enterprise was pretty good as well. Much better than say, early seasons of DS9.

My point is, although I am leery of a new Star Wars film I think that given creative freedom, Abrams can do great things for Star Wars.

i agree.. execpt i loved karl as bones!!! aside from simon peg(favorite by far!) I thought he did the best of them all

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    I'm pretty sure the new film involves the Empire and the Alliane putting aside their diffrences to work together to destroy the planet Vulcan in order to kill Wynona Ryder.

I read that and kinda let it sink in for a second.

That was fucking funny.

I dont dislike Abrams. If you guys remember he said he didnt want to do it. Its my true hope...wait.

Its my New Hope that Abrams said; "I'll do it, on one condition. You tell that bearded fuck George Lucas, the guy who almost destroyed his own fucking franchise, to stay away from the writers, stay off the set, stay out of the editing booth, and stay the fuck away from me, and I'll make your movie."

There is a reason no director in Hollywood wanted to direct a Star Wars movie. And thats because George Lucas came attached with it.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

As a person who could only ever enjoy The Wrath of Khan (mostly because of the ear slug scene) in terms of anything Star trek, I have to say the Abrams movie wasn't bad. I really have trouble making it through many movies in this day and age ( I hate almost everything i see). It was one I at least made it through. I'm not very familiar with Abrams work TBH, nor anyone in the last decade.

I have to add, I look at star wars like this, everything great about it (aside from the original starting it all off) was directed or written by someone else. ESB and the expansive EU being the best examples. It's a vast universe that was created for it; that's thanks to GL, it allows many great talents to take it to the next level.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Distopia

As a person who could only ever enjoy The Wrath of Khan (mostly because of the ear slug scene) in terms of anything Star trek, I have to say the Abrams movie wasn't bad. I really have trouble making it through many movies in this day and age ( I hate almost everything i see). It was one I at least made it through. I'm not very familiar with Abrams work TBH, nor anyone in the last decade.

I have to add, I look at star wars like this, everything great about it (aside from the original starting it all off) was directed or written by someone else. ESB and the expansive EU being the best examples. It's a vast universe that was created for it; that's thanks to GL, it allows many great talents to take it to the next level.

He produced cloverfield which was one of the worst movies you wil ever see all time.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Hokie
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    I'm pretty sure the new film involves the Empire and the Alliane putting aside their diffrences to work together to destroy the planet Vulcan in order to kill Wynona Ryder.

I read that and kinda let it sink in for a second.

That was fucking funny.

I dont dislike Abrams. If you guys remember he said he didnt want to do it. Its my true hope...wait.

Its my New Hope that Abrams said; "I'll do it, on one condition. You tell that bearded fuck George Lucas, the guy who almost destroyed his own fucking franchise, to stay away from the writers, stay off the set, stay out of the editing booth, and stay the fuck away from me, and I'll make your movie."

There is a reason no director in Hollywood wanted to direct a Star Wars movie. And thats because George Lucas came attached with it.

Felt much the same sentiment about GL (and some worry about Abrams) here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/strangesands/022013/24551_JJ-Abrams-and-the-Future-of-Star-Wars

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by dorksmetal

2 posible scenarios based on JJ abrams past works.

at the end of the last moive it will have all been a dream.

or

everyone dies. 

or like his star trek movie it pushes the series into a whole new generation:)

Making Star Wars for the current "generation" makes it auto-suck.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by William12

He produced cloverfield which was one of the worst movies you wil ever see all time.

Cloverfield was god awful.  And I still remember turning off Lost in disgust when that bloody polar bear was never explained; turned out I made the right choice because the next however many series were literally holding up two fingers to their audience, apparently (I didn't bother watching them).  

However, the new Star Trek was good.  And who ever mentioned the fact that Lucas should just have his baby adoped, I have to agree.  He is the worst thing to have ever happened to Star Wars, and lets be honest the initial idea wasn't exactly a stroke of genius, more right place, right time, right contacts.  

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

Cloverfield was god awful.  And I still remember turning off Lost in disgust when that bloody polar bear was never explained; turned out I made the right choice because the next however many series were literally holding up two fingers to their audience, apparently (I didn't bother watching them).  

However, the new Star Trek was good.  And who ever mentioned the fact that Lucas should just have his baby adoped, I have to agree.  He is the worst thing to have ever happened to Star Wars, and lets be honest the initial idea wasn't exactly a stroke of genius, more right place, right time, right contacts.  

Super 8 was even worse. What a cheesy attempt to create something classic like E.T. or The Goonies, again JJ Abrams failed horribly.

some reviews here wrap it up:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1650062/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

"Super 8, derivative and disappointing at its best, can be summarized using elements from the other sci-fi/thrillers that Spielberg either directed, produced, or exec-produced.

Some annoying kids find a map (Goonies) – including a fat kid who likes to eat (Goonies) – and they come up against the military which is trying to track down an alien on the loose (E.T.).

The creature has created issues for the townsfolk who express concern at a meeting with the sheriff (Jaws) and they eventually have to evacuate because of a made-up disaster (Close Encounters).

The alien, who is a really a spider (Arachnaphobia) that has been collecting items so that he can get home (E.T.), has the ability to make a psychic connection with humans (Close Encounters). One of the kids has a seemingly useless obsession that winds up helping to save the day in a climactic sequence (fireworks here and inventions in the Goonies) however the creature is much too smart to fall for such a trick (Jaws - "he's either very smart or very stupid"). An old guy, who is an expert on this creature (Jaws) winds up dying while the army shoots through the town and tanks roll (War of the Worlds)."

Also I found the attempt of Abrams favourite composer Michael Giacchino almost comedic in trying to create a John Williams-esque score. That movie was just cringeworthy from every angle.

I can VERY much imagine how they will fail with Star Wars 7 on the same level.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    I have never been a Star Trek fan. But, after watching the newer version, I am now a huge fan. I am excited that Abrams wants to put his creative genius in the Star Wars universe.

No you are not, you just liked a film. If you didn't like the 50odd years of Star Trek TV and films you can hardly describe yourself as a huge Star Trek fan.

I am a huge fan of the new version and the up and coming film...that's what I meant. I still like the older stuff, but I am not a trekkie by any means.

• chewy001chewy001 Member Posts: 2
    Hopefully there will be no Jar Jar Binks spinoff movie! 

Get the latest MMO & MMORPG strategy, tips, news from the best free MMO strategy guides for WoW, GW2, Diablo 3, FFXIV, Neverwinter, SWTOR, Eve and more at http://www.mmo-strategy-guides.com/

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by chewy001

Hopefully Abrams will come up with a terminal illness that only affects Gungans and Ewoks.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

I don't know -- the punched up action of the new Star Trek kinda bummed (and wore) me out.  Wrath of Khan is still the best Star Trek movie.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

so Lucas is the worst thing , that happened to star wars??  that makes sense,,since he invented it

but having him near the movie sets was a bad idea

the new star trek movie was good,,if he can do the same with star wars, it should be fine

Originally posted by simplius

so Lucas is the worst thing , that happened to star wars??  that makes sense,,since he invented it

but having him near the movie sets was a bad idea

the new star trek movie was good,,if he can do the same with star wars, it should be fine

Why would you bother making this comment?  Obviously I wasn't entirely serious.  

Originally posted by chewy001

prolly not,,but an ewok movie for the younglings,,that will most definately be on its way

it is disney, after all

and in 20 years i can see it on telly at christmas with the family

a new generaration of star wars fans in the making,,we need young blood to keep the dream alive

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    They should make the new films for the old generation. Same profit if 40ish year old dads drag their kids to it as the other way round.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Actually the new star trek movies wasn't that good because it doesn't feel very star treksy at all.

It feels very... Abramnized. Too Fancy. Star Trek wasn't about fanciness. Star Wars is also not about fanciness. However JJ Abram is ALL ABOUT fanciness and appearances and not so much about substance (hence why he always uses the prettiest boys and gals for his movies).

Look at the original Star Trek for example - who is good looking in there? Probably only Kirk. Spook wasn't good looking, Zulu wasn't good looking, Jim was an old fart and Checkoff was a comical. Look at all the good looking people JJ used for his version. Absolutely murdered the feel of it imo.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Actually the new star trek movies wasn't that good because it doesn't feel very star treksy at all.

It feels very... Abramnized. Too Fancy. Star Trek wasn't about fanciness. Star Wars is also not about fanciness. However JJ Abram is ALL ABOUT fanciness and appearances and not so much about substance (hence why he always uses the prettiest boys and gals for his movies).

Look at the original Star Trek for example - who is good looking in there? Probably only Kirk. Spook wasn't good looking, Zulu wasn't good looking, Jim was an old fart and Checkoff was a comical. Look at all the good looking people JJ used for his version. Absolutely murdered the feel of it imo.

Spook?  I know they had a lot of floating heads, but I don't remember Spooks.  

I thought it was decent.  Yeah it was a pretty cast and the characters were all a bit on the young side for my liking, but then that is most American drama/ film making for you.  At least they didn't have the dialogue they have in most American teen drama, you know where they sit and analyse themselves/ each other all day long like the most boring, self-obsessed bunch of tossers you would never want to meet.  God I hate American teen dramas. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

This is the case for just about anything hollywood these days.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I know how touchy a thread like this can be.  Talking about Star Trek and Star Wars is talking about things that are sacred to many of us.  We all have our opinions on what we would like to see or how we would like things to turn out.  Some like what Abrams did with Star Trek and some did not.  I can see if you didn't like the new Star Trek how this could be a problem for you or if you liked the new Star Trek how you are in favor of this decision. 

So what the heck is my point?  I'm not really sure I have one, with the exception of this.  We can be optimistic or pessimistic depending on our view.  I do think one thing I would like to see is the movie before I decide to praise or rip anyone.  I personally believe the writing and story will be much more important than the direction.  I think of the early star wars and the game of Knights of the Old Republic from bioware and think how great Star Wars can be.  There are also plenty of good novels in the Star Wars universe that also give me hope.  I believe we can all agree on one thing, since this is sacred to so many of us, I believe we can all agree we want this to be great.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

I know how touchy a thread like this can be.  Talking about Star Trek and Star Wars is talking about things that are sacred to many of us. 

Personally I don't think or feel they are sacred.

My opinion was mainly that JJ Abrams is the greatest bastardizer and prettifier in the industry.

You could've arguably give him Warhammer 40k to make it into a movie and the space marines in there would look like Tyrese and Josh Duhamel while they are supposed to look like Ron Perlman. and there will be 2000 spinoffs and sequels. He is the epitomy of what Hollywood is nowadays.

In other words, he is very good at "camping" up everything for the mickey mouse club, lol :P

okay,,so youre comparing a TV show from the 70s with a block buster from now

if you didnt notice,,the original series had a lot of lightly clad space virgins

and in the new movie,,would you call both spocks and new scotty pretty faces?

no,,they have character faces

but i do agree on the tendency to just put pretty faces on screen,,ALL movies do that now

thats a general development of society

PS in fact the new scotty is way more "non-pretty" than the old one

Originally posted by sumdumguy1

I know how touchy a thread like this can be.  Talking about Star Trek and Star Wars is talking about things that are sacred to many of us. 

Personally I don't think or feel they are sacred.

My opinion was mainly that JJ Abrams is the greatest bastardizer and prettifier in the industry.

You could've arguably give him Warhammer 40k to make it into a movie and the space marines in there would look like Tyrese and Josh Duhamel while they are supposed to look like Ron Perlman. and there will be 2000 spinoffs and sequels. He is the epitomy of what Hollywood is nowadays.

In other words, he is very good at "camping" up everything for the mickey mouse club, lol :P

rom pearlman is spent,,he is burned out

look at his performance in conan,,barely able to sell his role

and if they made the new movies for old farts like us, then the star wars franchise would die

as long as its not as bad as that "vampire" flick,,,its going to be okay

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    This guy breathe a new life in Sta Trek and i hope he can do the same for Star Wars.

+1

A Star Wars reboot could be fun, and we can remove the blemish of ep 1-3.

It's a continuation of the SW universe after Return of the Jedi.  So new heroes and villians, whole new direction basically but taking place in the SW universe which is all any fan really wants.   So a reboot in the sense of bringing the SW universe back to the screen but not using the same plotlines or characters.  Old characters will probably make cameos or "pass the torch" scenes but otherwise, whole new stories! Yay!

My real question is this:  Will John Williams compose the music or Michael Giacchino or will they collaborate?  Can't wait to find out as I love both composers.  Hoping they collaborate personally.