Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skill Cooldown Explaination?

fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

I know there is a global cooldown of like 1s, but why when I use certain skills does it cause other skills to go on long cooldowns?

Best scenario I can give is one of my long style boxing skills makes other skills even from different styles take longer to refresh than the global...

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

Comments

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by fldash

I know there is a global cooldown of like 1s, but why when I use certain skills does it cause other skills to go on long cooldowns?

Best scenario I can give is one of my long style boxing skills makes other skills even from different styles take longer to refresh than the global...

Skills of different sets have a 7 second cool down, even if they are of the same school.

For instance if you are going from long style boxing to a staff skill you are going to have that 7 second delay, or from a tangman dart skillset to a wudang sword, or even two different but both unarmed skill sets...

There are ways to get around it but mostly it involves using a longer lasting skill as your last skill before you merge over

for instance scholars whirling blade last 5 seconds so it leaves only 2 seconds of downtime before you can pick something else up, or taji's rage skill (or many of the rage skills honestly) has a long "Action" time...your swinging that sword for a good 4-6 seconds of the 7 second cool down so it isn't that big of a deal.

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

This makes sense. So what is the 'best practice' in PvP? Stick with only one skillset for most fights, occasionally switching to another if absolutely necessary after blowing a long cool-down ability?

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by fldash

This makes sense. So what is the 'best practice' in PvP? Stick with only one school for most fights, occasionally switching to another if absolutely necessary after blowing a long cool-down ability?

Switch to gain an advantage, at anytime. Remember the cool down is inbetween sets, not schools. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gafneygafney Member Posts: 1

Could somoneexplain how you can use other schools skills.

I am Wudang an I would like to use Royal Guards rope skills which allow you to hook an opponent and pull them to you from distance. Seems like it would be valuable fighting players who run or jump when you ataack and have a hard time hitting them.

or if I wanted to pick some schools ranged attack skills.

Do I just buy the skill scrolls off other players ?   To be effective do I need to buy several of the same skill set?  If I train them up to level 5 will I be as effective with them as a regular Royal Guard school member?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You buy them, or steal them. Scrolls come in 5 flavors 1, 2, 3, 4 and collections that hold 1 through 4. 1s teach the skill 2-4 allows you to train higher. Skills of other schools can only be traied to level 4. 

Yes, I would recomend grabbing atleast one or two others from the skill set your looking at. More is always better.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"