Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the biggest year for MMORPG's?

CaptShatnerCaptShatner Member UncommonPosts: 23

There are so many big MMORPG's coming out this year, it's crazy.

Just a lot of MMORPG news in general. What are you looking forward to this year?

With so much happening just in the first month and a half of 2013, what are you looking forward to playing?

(I'm personally excited about FFXIV just because I love player housing and the Final Fantasy series.)

Comments

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Every year is "possibly" the biggest year for MMOs.

This year will be no different.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    The Star that is Wild

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    forgot possibly archage, wildstar, the repopulation, blade & soul, black desert.. not sure if all will make it for 2013 though but at least a few of those will.. but yes 2013 looks ot be a hell of a year for MMOs

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by CaptShatner

Just a lot of MMORPG news in general. What are you looking forward to this year?

With so much happening just in the first month and a half of 2013, what are you looking forward to playing?

(I'm personally excited about FFXIV just because I love player housing and the Final Fantasy series.)

- lol @ tera

- wait and see mode teso(counts as a big release thoguh)

- lol @ FFXIV

- rest are not mmo's.

- list lacks wildstar

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    EverQuest Next
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I actually think this has been a very quite, and uninteresting year for mmorpgs..

Swtors year was quite amusing, What was that 2011?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Every year is "possibly" the biggest year for MMOs.

This year will be no different.

Sad but can be true :<

hopefully it will be proven wrong :3

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• MischiefMischief Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

- lol @ tera

- lol @ FFXIV

- rest are not mmo's.

- list lacks wildstar

EQNext and Neverwinter aren't MMO's?  If thats what you're really intending to say we have wildly different opionions of what an MMO is.  I do agree with you about TESO and Wildstar though..

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    If your list of seven games has to include a game that launched last year (TERA), a relaunch of an old game (FFXIV), a very old game possibly reverting to how it was several years ago (Runescape), and a game with no real chance of launching this year (EverQuest Next), then maybe this isn't going to be such a big year for game launches?
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    I only hope for elder scrolls online while im not holding my breath.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Mischief

- lol @ tera

- lol @ FFXIV

- rest are not mmo's.

- list lacks wildstar

EQNext and Neverwinter aren't MMO's?  If thats what you're really intending to say we have wildly different opionions of what an MMO is.  I do agree with you about TESO and Wildstar though..

Just a question but why is EQNext not a MMO?

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    for those curious, EQN won't be out this year.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

How can you not include neverwinter, blade & soul, or wildstar in this list?  Come on lol

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Actually, I suspect few of the titles I am interested in will see a launch this year, so it seems a bit lackluster like most years have been. Time will tell I suppose.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    This is the year of FFXIV Realm Reborn and Elder scrolls which both will be highly succesful. I dont see any of the others making a huge impact. EQNext would but we wont see that until 2014 if we're lucky and i highly doubt Wildstar will make it by the end of the year.

I dunno it might be. Quote from Smed: "Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year -- and I don't mean a beta," he said.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/24/smedley-talks-players-as-content-hints-at-eqnext-actual-releas/

Guess we will find out more in August with there SoE Live (fanfair) They seem to be keeping the game realy quite so they may be doing somthing big that dont want other companies to copy, all this keep things secretive has intriged me a great deal.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

It's been a while since many genuine subscription based MMO's have launched so I think it is a big year for that reason (though we don't know yet if ESO will be sub based).

Last year pretty much everything launched as, or was forced to switch to F2P.  Or was Guild Wars 2.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Can you log on your official SOE employee account and make that announcement?

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

by runescape old server. those its mean the runescape classic (2D)?

hmm i guess its the runescape 2 when its turned 3d right!?

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Ask me next year if/when these launch and their status.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Really not seeing anything that I find personally interesting.

I'm wondering how many DAOC clones we need.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Mischief

- lol @ tera

- lol @ FFXIV

- rest are not mmo's.

- list lacks wildstar

Neverwinter was originally designed to be a CORPG until PWE bought up Cryptic from Atari. I think Rthuth missed 2 years MMO info or so.

But frankly does this year not really seems better or worse than 2010, 2011 or 2012. And I assume that 1 or 2 games will be delayed anyways.

Originally posted by sk8chalif

by runescape old server. those its mean the runescape classic (2D)?

hmm i guess its the runescape 2 when its turned 3d right!?

2007 server so yeah not runescape 2 which was indeed when it went 3d, it will also be slower skill gains i beleive back before u could max a character out in like a month

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Other than what was also mentioned your list lacks some huge games.   

Firefall is huge and will be even bigger when released.

Defiance is also going to be something to look foreward too. I mean come on this will be the first time (im pretty sure) that a MMO has been tied into an ongoing TV show. Also the game play looks awesome.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by snoop101

Other than what was also mentioned your list lacks some huge games.   

Firefall is huge and will be even bigger when released.

Defiance is also going to be something to look foreward too. I mean come on this will be the first time (im pretty sure) that a MMO has been tied into an ongoing TV show. Also the game play looks awesome.

If you like playing solo 100% of the time, having about the same FPS mechanics as Duke Nukem (the first one), and can handle a console ported UI (think DCUO upon release).  Sure, yep.