Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand this...

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Whatever TES is, is irrelevant. TES is a single player game...

Whatever TESO is, is irrelevenat. TES is the IP being used. RPGs + MMORPGs are tied. This isnt a Super Mario Bros/Super Mario Kart comparission being made.

TES is an open world, open faction, open choice game and there are open world,open faction and open choice MMORPGs already out there proving a TES MMO should be made LIKE TES and furth proves this is nothing more than a bastardization of an IP by a game designer that wanted to do NOTHING but make another DaoC but couldnt get ANY backing for it and so just changed to freaking names of NPCs and some graphics.

Rofl...chill dude before you have a stroke.

Look: there are a whole shit-pile of games based on some rule set or another of D&D. Some are single player and a couple are MMOs...and they all play very differently. Maybe because the ES IP is smaller you think you can control it and dictate just one way to play in it...that's your mistake.

those of us who have played every single one of the games since Arena but are not zealots are just fine with TESO being different. Getting all frothy at the mouth about it is just a stupid waste of energy.

Well it is not different. It is the same as every other cookie cutter ThemePark MMO which have been released for the last decade.

Elder Scrolls games were unique, this is just some generic trash.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Yamota

Couldn't have said it better myself. The only reason they are using this IP is to cash in on it as they dont seem to at all care about it.

Wouldn't this depend on how the PVE portion of the game plays, the content available within and the presentation of the lore?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Well it is not different. It is the same as every other cookie cutter ThemePark MMO which have been released for the last decade.

What systems that TESO is built with does every single themepark have, we should compare...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Whatever TES is, is irrelevant. TES is a single player game...

Whatever TESO is, is irrelevenat. TES is the IP being used. RPGs + MMORPGs are tied. This isnt a Super Mario Bros/Super Mario Kart comparission being made.

TES is an open world, open faction, open choice game and there are open world,open faction and open choice MMORPGs already out there proving a TES MMO should be made LIKE TES and furth proves this is nothing more than a bastardization of an IP by a game designer that wanted to do NOTHING but make another DaoC but couldnt get ANY backing for it and so just changed to freaking names of NPCs and some graphics.

Rofl...chill dude before you have a stroke.

Look: there are a whole shit-pile of games based on some rule set or another of D&D. Some are single player and a couple are MMOs...and they all play very differently. Maybe because the ES IP is smaller you think you can control it and dictate just one way to play in it...that's your mistake.

those of us who have played every single one of the games since Arena but are not zealots are just fine with TESO being different. Getting all frothy at the mouth about it is just a stupid waste of energy.

So... Don't play it. Problem solved.

of course you can stick around and rage about the rape of your beloved IP all you want as well. Personally I don't waste my time on forums of MMO shit that doesn't interest me, but it's a free Internet...whatever turns your crank.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HetzauHetzau Member Posts: 4

They people that are complaining of a lack of content are missing something. The fact that cyrodill is supposed to be larger than all three faction zones combined. No to mention there is going to be plenty of instanced and non-instanced PVE going on. 

I think the game will be great and if the developers are accurate with the amount of hours it will take to reach level cap that is close to 400 hrs of gameplay for the three factions combined. That will keep people plenty busy.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by thark

It is just dumb.  We can travel all over the world in WoW, but in TESO we're limited to the lands of our faction, leaving 2/3 of the world unplayable.   Even in old DAoC we could travel to enemy lands.    Why are they taking this game backwards in game play?  Makes absolutely no sense.   Plus this ideal of faction pride seems lame.  We had faction pride in WoW and we could go where we wanted.   What makes the developers think not being able to travel to other factions lands equate to faction pride?  Again...this makes absolutely no sense and will only hurt their game in the end.  

In my opinion this is just bad game design.  

Look..Dumb or not. , besides..Do you know how BIG one of those 3 territories will be ?

This is how they choose to design their game, because they believe in a conflict of war between 3 factions, I find it much more dumb if we have 3 conflicting nations and we all are able to group up and run around completly unmolested in each others territories, and even group up and join guilds with each other, they did that in EQ2 , let's have a guild were necromancers from Freeport can join a couple of  elf priests from Antonica, it doesnt make sence..

It's like....Let these Orc's roam around in Rivendale , We will invite them for tea and bisquits later, maybe Galadriel will join ..:) See the problem here ?

Faction pride or not..I think it's a good idea..

Play it, but for me as long as they keep this game design in game - I'll not waste my time or money on it - it is a total game breaker for me.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Distopia

Couldn't have said it better myself. The only reason they are using this IP is to cash in on it as they dont seem to at all care about it.

Wouldn't this depend on how the PVE portion of the game plays, the content available within and the presentation of the lore?

No, and we already know they are not preserving the lore.

The game is supposed to take place during 2E and at no point were 1 of the 3 factions a threat to the Imperials and the two that were only tried to attack TWICE during the ENTIRE AGE and neither attempt actually got to Imperial lands.

So, not only are they increasing the power of the factions, they are making it so a faction CAN take imperial lands and elect an emperor! Not to mention alien eleves are now beautiful elves!~

All hail Lagolazzz shotnurface of lolz guild, emperor of TESO!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Honestly, I don't really care what IP companies use anymore since it's never about following the lore anyway. Far as I'm concerned, all I look for now in games is the gameplay and completely ignore everything else. Getting all bent out of shape because WAR was crap, LOTRO was crap or TESO is crap cause it doesn't play the way you want it to is beyond pointless. Play the game for what it is, not what you think it should be.

Its true, cause getting all bent out of shape on a game forum about people voicing their opinion is SOOOooo much better. 

Reply to a post fo what it is, not what you think it should be.

taadaa!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Honestly, I don't really care what IP companies use anymore since it's never about following the lore anyway. Far as I'm concerned, all I look for now in games is the gameplay and completely ignore everything else. Getting all bent out of shape because WAR was crap, LOTRO was crap or TESO is crap cause it doesn't play the way you want it to is beyond pointless. Play the game for what it is, not what you think it should be.

Its true, cause getting all bent out of shape on a game forum about people voicing their opinion is SOOOooo much better. 

Reply to a post fo what it is, not what you think it should be.

taadaa!

If I would reply your posts for what they really are, I would be banned even more times than I already am... No... I prefer to answer your posts for what I think they should be - at least intelligent with one or two more or less well constructed ideas explained in a way that at least a 5 year old can understand it. I'm sure other members do the same - pretend you actually mean something.

But... why so much hate on TESO? Really... a trauma or something? Your incessant crying is going off the charts - what happened? PTSD from Dark Age of Camelot?

Originally posted by Distopia

No, and we already know they are not preserving the lore.

The game is supposed to take place during 2E and at no point were 1 of the 3 factions a threat to the Imperials and the two that were only tried to attack TWICE during the ENTIRE AGE and neither attempt actually got to Imperial lands.

So, not only are they increasing the power of the factions, they are making it so a faction CAN take imperial lands and elect an emperor! Not to mention alien eleves are now beautiful elves!~

All hail Lagolazzz shotnurface of lolz guild, emperor of TESO!

Source of this? The eras are rather long and books within TES are rather short; which usually just highlight key moments from Tamriel history. Second it is Bethesda that is behind the lore for TESO, and they approved this lore, making it rather hard to say it's not TES lore... This is what the wiki says about the second era.

Elder Scrolls

<a accesskey="t" data-cke-saved-href="http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Second_Era"; href="http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Second_Era"; comments="" secondary="" talk"="" rel="nofollow" data-id="comment">The Cyrodilic Empire continued to be a force of great power for the first four hundred and thirty years under the rule of the Akaviri Potentates. Though alien to Imperial culture, they established some of the great traditions of Tamriel, granting charters to organizations such as the Fighters Guild and the Mages Guild. Another sign of peace and prosperity occurred in the year 2E 309, when Elsweyr was created by the union of the two Khajiit tribelands, Anequina and Pellitine. But outside of the Empire's borders many conflicting forces drive for the Imperial throne like the Daggerfall Covenant and Aldmeri Dominion. [1]

When the last Potentate, Savirien-Chorak, was assassinated in 2E 430, leaving no heirs, the great Empire was finally destroyed.[2] Black Marsh forcibly split from the lands of men, as the Knahaten Flu made the land uninhabitable to all but the Argonians themselves. Akavir once again invaded Tamriel, and was barely rebuffed after attacking Morrowind in 2E 572. From one end of the continent to the other, war and rebellion struck at the heart of every great tradition of the land.

The first sign of reunification occurred in the west. The Altmer of Summerset, long concerned with their own wars with other island kingdoms, allied with Valenwood to form the Aldmeri Dominion for their common good. Still, greater, however, was the force that rose from the ancient seat of emperors, Cyrodiil. A great general, Talos, liegeless after his lords assassination, began his career as the greatest conqueror in the history of the land. Better known by his Imperial name, Tiber Septim and his armies conquered all of Tamriel, creating the Empire that bears his name even today, and ushering in the Third Era.

What books should I look for within Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim that will back what you're saying up?

I'm sorry I can't just take your word for it, it's rather hard to trust someone who consistently rails against a game, a studio and/or fans of certain games. You're pretty much guilty of all three, it seems rather personal for you.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Play it, but for me as long as they keep this game design in game - I'll not waste my time or money on it - it is a total game breaker for me.

sucks for you heh, i am glad i am not that picky.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

The whole concept is odd, and regardless of well they pull it off - cannot be as good as the same more generally accessible content would have been without such pointless restrictions.

They wanted RvRvR PvP - they could have had it as GvGvG et al conflict - with Cyrodil as the prize and PC Guilds the main contenders. With an option to join in as mercenaries if you were only in an NPC guild - no problem for the non-guildies either.

Then you could have had massive battles in Cyrodil for control of the throne (the PvP they wanted to put in) and no factional conflict to limit world exploration - with limited ganking based on GvG flagging - which would have given the TES fans the freedom to choose what they want and expect from the ES gameworld.

How they didn't work this out in the first concept meetings is beyond me - the forced DaoC paradigm with a TES skin stretched over it is conceptually, and I would predict actually a third class way of acheiving their goals.

Regardless of whether you are an altaholic or main-only player, expect enough PvE content to be in each faction area or not - having all of it availbale to each character would have been much, much better. 

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Why does everyone interpret "home" zones being offlimits as = to 1/3 of the game per faction?  Home zones could be as little as simply the 1-10 starter zone for each faction.  While I'd prefer that no zone be off limits a system like I just mentioned would be much more palatable to me than say 1/3 of the content sectioned off per faction.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Why does everyone interpret "home" zones being offlimits as = to 1/3 of the game per faction?  Home zones could be as little as simply the 1-10 starter zone for each faction.  While I'd prefer that no zone be off limits a system like I just mentioned would be much more palatable to me than say 1/3 of the content sectioned off per faction.

You haven't really looked at the map ... have you...

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

You haven't really looked at the map ... have you...

He doesn't understand what people mean or how the game works. Unless, he reallized that 1/3 was bad math.

Everybody have access to Cyrodiil. The 3 other factions territory can't be accessed by players of the opposing factions. This mean they are 4 "territories" in the game. Members of a faction can only access their home territory and Cyrodill.  This mean access 2/4 (1/2) of the territories in the game.

Although, if you remove Cyrodiil of the equation, it fall back to 1/3 of the game territories that are available per faction at launch. And this was done to protect PvErs that don't want to PvP. The factions are at war with each others and there is a single server. We can't have SWTOR type of PvE-only servers (they were not PvP free, entering the enemies base flagged you for PvP).

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by muffins89

yes

yes

yes

Why?

because the games lead designers are stuck in the past and cannot come up with any new ideas. They have on rose colored glasses and actually believe the game they are basing it off of was great...so great it seems they think it will apply successfully to anything even though history proves them wrong.

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land becuase the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

you'll just need to make more than one character.  think of it as 3 ES games in one.

Or we could look at it for what it is, a game being made by designers choosing to use old outdated piss poor game design.

Why should we settle for crap when we know full well an MMORPG can be made open world and allow us to chose the faction WE WANT TO CHOSE, WITH THE RACE WE WANT TO PLAY and be able to go where we want, when we want? Especially when they are using an IP that IS MADE JUST LIKE THAT!

I agree. I really want an open world with no set factions. One of the reasons I loved Shadowbane so much is becuase the Nations/factions, etc. were created by the players. Based on that concept, diplomacy was a large part of the game. Our Nation had an Ambassador who would actually meet with other Nations to discuss politics. The content this created is worth more then any of the junk they throw into the game. It made the game have meaning. The only problem with a game like this, is when the poulation goes, so does the game and content... RIP Shadowbane 

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

I can understand locking the "noobzone" or the very firsts "zones"... but entire regions ? I'm sorry but the way they justify it is just pure rethoric... It's nothing more but a huge restriction for anyone willing to"live" the game like any RPer or any passionate MMORPG player wants to when he joins a new MMO...

Anarchy Online and  T4C instantly comes to my mind when thinking of a game where you can access your enemys' very first zone of appearing... I fail to see how this was game-breaking or side-pride-breaking.... Dood there is nothing like taking a walk into opposites' factions zones and bragging about your faction being the best...

pure limitation indeed.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• tmann50tmann50 Member UncommonPosts: 70

It would help if posters had a clue of what they speak. Those of us who actually played the game, DAOC, are the only ones with any real room to comment. DAOC was a blast with a major part of the fun being 3 factions. THos who just flap the yap w/o any hands on should really not comment on DAOC or any other game for that matter...as for the guys who say they jsut won't play, well don't...go play something else that makes you happy

Originally posted by tmann50

It would help if posters had a clue of what they speak. Those of us who actually played the game, DAOC, are the only ones with any real room to comment. DAOC was a blast with a major part of the fun being 3 factions. THos who just flap the yap w/o any hands on should really not comment on DAOC or any other game for that matter...as for the guys who say they jsut won't play, well don't...go play something else that makes you happy

As you have elected to be dismissive and insulting - characterising other people statements as yapping, and making it clear that people who haven't played DaoC don't have a 'legitimate' point of view, allow me to say this;

ESO is a TES game.

It isn't DaoC.

Therefore those with the most 'valid' opinions by your own 'school playground' logic should be TES fans.

It seems clear from what has been released so far that the Devs etc. are making a consistent point - that this is a TES game as an MMO.

They have taken what was admittedly a good model for a PvP-centric MMO and forced it into a PvE-heavy single player gameworld without taking into account the strongly and widely felt opinions that YOU think are irrelevant.

Considering the name of the game, the undeniable emphasis placed by it's creators on the TES world and lore - it is the DaoC fans who should 'get a clue'.

If that's what you want - petition about someone creating DaoC 2 - not ruining a long running franchise that has had NOTHING to do with it until this MMO.

Why don't you get a clue before you speak eh?

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    for all you pathetic people out there who wish you were the ones who created the elder scrolls and all its lore do everyone a favor and stop complaining about a game that isnt meant for you apparently and that you have no idea about. this isnt a single player game where your character is the ultimate hero and you can take on an entire army by yourself. there is 3 factions. these factions are at war. theres no reason for your character to go to another factions territory because he would not be able to survive. you didnt create the lore, you didnt make the game, your already complaining about a game that is just about to be in beta so do YOURSELF a favor and stop talking about the game that isnt for you. doing this will allow people who cant wait for this game to launch to talk about the game in a hater free zone. i mean really what kind of person does nothing but complain and complain and thinks people who actually like the game want to hear their "opinion" get a life please make your parents proud and have some morals

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Vindicar

I can understand locking the "noobzone" or the very firsts "zones"... but entire regions ? I'm sorry but the way they justify it is just pure rethoric... It's nothing more but a huge restriction for anyone willing to"live" the game like any RPer or any passionate MMORPG player wants to when he joins a new MMO...

Anarchy Online and  T4C instantly comes to my mind when thinking of a game where you can access your enemys' very first zone of appearing... I fail to see how this was game-breaking or side-pride-breaking.... Dood there is nothing like taking a walk into opposites' factions zones and bragging about your faction being the best...

pure limitation indeed.

so go play anarchy online and t4c, what are you doing here?

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

As you have elected to be dismissive and insulting - characterising other people statements as yapping, and making it clear that people who haven't played DaoC don't have a 'legitimate' point of view, allow me to say this;

ESO is a TES game.

It isn't DaoC.

Therefore those with the most 'valid' opinions by your own 'school playground' logic should be TES fans.

It seems clear from what has been released so far that the Devs etc. are making a consistent point - that this is a TES game as an MMO.

They have taken what was admittedly a good model for a PvP-centric MMO and forced it into a PvE-heavy single player gameworld without taking into account the strongly and widely felt opinions that YOU think are irrelevant.

Considering the name of the game, the undeniable emphasis placed by it's creators on the TES world and lore - it is the DaoC fans who should 'get a clue'.

If that's what you want - petition about someone creating DaoC 2 - not ruining a long running franchise that has had NOTHING to do with it until this MMO.

Why don't you get a clue before you speak eh?

Actually TES has always been a PVE game... so by your logic... they should get rid of all PVP and just make it an open world PVE game. What's wrong? That doesn't meet your ideals? To bad you wanted it more TES.

THey made this coice because it works best for PVP. PVE does not suffer because you will have 3 times the content. How you may ask? Well if they want to make a level 20 dungeon.... they haveto make 3 level 20 dungeon so every cn play it. If it was open world... they would just have 1 level 20 dungeon.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Caliburn

The moaners are no more "tes fans" than the people that aren't.

Half of these so called "uber tes fans" seem somewhat lacking in their tes knowledge for a start.

Also most of the "make it more like tes" suggestions seem to be in reality "make it more like everquest" or "make it more like star wars galaxies" suggestions
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't see these same people moaning about groups of people being shut away in raids. WHICH ALSO has duck all I'm.common with.tes single player.
  • VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Kalstark
    Originally posted by Vindicar

pure limitation indeed.

so go play anarchy online and t4c, what are you doing here?

Reading about poeple's opinions, giving mines, discussing 'em... those kinds of things... I just named two games as exemples... I don't get it...
    Anger management issues ?

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)