Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't stand quest grinders.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

If I try one of those games I am quickly reminded how annoying these games are to play. I can tolerate something up to missives like Vanguard since they are just "kill 10 of X", which is actually fine for me since I'll somehow kill 10 mobs anyway so it isn't really an experience that's on rails.

But the WoWs and the gazillion quest-grinder MMO that followed, I don't understand how anyone plays these games.

These games take away all your freedom, you are no longer choosing how to level your character like in Everquest, you are actively being told "do this like a monkey" and now "do that like a monkey", it's like joining the postal service only less exciting since the postal delivery guy is allowed to deliver his packages in any order, not so in these games.

I wouldn't be able to make an alt in these games and do it all over, since it would be the exact same experience all over, you get told what to do and where to go and who to meet.

I don't understand how anyone plays these things and manages to enjoy them.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    I played them for years and never really cared but over the years the drive to play the quest hub funneled type game has lost interest to me.. mosty....it's the main reason i couldn't get into tera at all... but good news it seems devs are moving away from this type of game overall and giving you a lot more options at least thats how it is in gw2 and seems many of the upcoming MMOs will offer little more variety in the questing experience(i would hope)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ChakaCanChakaCan Member UncommonPosts: 22

I totally agree.  I now hate quests. And you what sux, if you decide not to do the quests, you realize how boring the game is.  Everquest more roaming creatures and had a fear associated with the adventure.  (I know this is covered in other posts)

I believe it will be awhile before the trend of quest-grinding stops.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

I've always liked the crafting and professions more in mmorpgs than the whole questing thing. Farming materials and advancing the skills you want, however you want has always been fun. And turning your crafts into money is always nice too.

But questing is a must for some people, to help them travel around realms in somewhat rational order. Not everyone can figure out things on their own or decide what to do, where to go etc. And I assume that is the easiest way to reward players and give them the satisfaction of gaining something like character progress while the storyline goes on.

What I hate most in questing is the glowing question mark and a wall of text after you click it. That is an instant turn off and while questing with friends (who are always in hurry:P ) I just tend to skip that. I liked how this one new mmoprg gives you a quest and once you accept it, you can start traveling towards your goal already, while you get an audio dialogue with more information about the task at hand. That solution works well for me, though it doesn't take away the repetitiviness of same type of quests over and over again.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

If I try one of those games I am quickly reminded how annoying these games are to play. I can tolerate something up to missives like Vanguard since they are just "kill 10 of X", which is actually fine for me since I'll somehow kill 10 mobs anyway so it isn't really an experience that's on rails.

But the WoWs and the gazillion quest-grinder MMO that followed, I don't understand how anyone plays these games.

These games take away all your freedom, you are no longer choosing how to level your character like in Everquest, you are actively being told "do this like a monkey" and now "do that like a monkey", it's like joining the postal service only less exciting since the postal delivery guy is allowed to deliver his packages in any order, not so in these games.

I wouldn't be able to make an alt in these games and do it all over, since it would be the exact same experience all over, you get told what to do and where to go and who to meet.

actually perhaps you are confusing things here. You still have choices on how to level. I believe you are confusing Leveling Speed and leveling freedom.

in a game like WoW, why do you not mob grind to level if you enjoyed that in Everquest? I still dont understand why people that dont like quest grind to level, but enjoy Everquest's level grind simply dont play WoW's leveling game like EQ does.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I never enjoyed the quest progression system. WoW was my 4th MMO. Before WoW, I played DAOC, SWG, and COH. All of which encouraged group leveling, not solo questing. I didn't last more than a day or two in WOW because of this. So yeah, I agree about how questing is boring.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

So don't play them ? I don't understand how anyone can enjoy playing on a pvp server getting ganked all the time....yet they're very popular.

Not everyone likes the same thing....that's a good thing.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    I played them for years and never really cared but over the years the drive to play the quest hub funneled type game has lost interest to me.. mosty....it's the main reason i couldn't get into tera at all... but good news it seems devs are moving away from this type of game overall and giving you a lot more options at least thats how it is in gw2 and seems many of the upcoming MMOs will offer little more variety in the questing experience(i would hope)

Feel the same way, the best feature of that game was no quest hubs. I hope all others do that in the future or at least have remote turnins.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

I don't remember there being much in the way of options in leveling your character in EQ.  Mob grinding and....more mob grinding?  What were the other options?  You had options of where to grind mobs, but you were, in the end, grinding mobs.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, there just weren't that many options when it came to getting xp, at least not that I remember.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    The reason why people don't mob grind in games like WoW is because the game isn't designed or balanced for that. Grinding mobs solo isn't that fun. Everyone grouped to grind mobs in older games. Since modern games aren't designed for mob grinding, you're really not gonna find a group for it. Mounts, AH prices, repair costs, and other things are priced with quest rewards in mind. Mob strength is balanced with quest rewards in mind. So that freedom is just an illusion.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

I don't remember there being much in the way of options in leveling your character in EQ.  Mob grinding and....more mob grinding?  What were the other options?  You had options of where to grind mobs, but you were, in the end, grinding mobs.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, there just weren't that many options when it came to getting xp, at least not that I remember.

I'll just name them, yes they're all mob grinding but there is huge variety in them.

-quad kite

-solo kite

-dot rot

-shakerpage

-AE bard kite

-pet tank

-trinity group

-charm kite

-cleric reverse DS

-headshot

-assasinate

-slay undead

Then there are the hundreds of zones available to you to actually kill in, most of those quest games have maybe 1 or 2 zones to start in for any specific race.