Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand this...

Comments

• ChakaCanChakaCan Member UncommonPosts: 22

I wouldn't get so angry over the setup of 3 faction areas in TESO.  This game will be FUN to play while we wait for a better game.  Bill Murphy has already tried this game for a few hours and said it is another themepark.  Players from all these new games (including WoW) will love it. 

Even if I could go into all 3 areas with one toon,  I will still be waiting for a better game.  Maybe Archeage, or Black Dessert, or God willing EQNEXT.   At least TESO has action combat, Yay for them!!!

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I like the idea of factions.  Helps to foster the development of realm pride.

It did work in DAoC, where you were not permitted into the opposing realms' territory save on PvP or PvE only servers which no longer exist.

Whether or not it belongs in the Elder Scrolls is a valid discussion, but the concept itself is not 'outdated' in any way.  If anything, they should simply consider PvP/PvE alternative servers like they had in DAoC for people who aren't interested in the faction based gameplay.

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

All I see is one guy whining about DAOC

..another whining about being able to travel in Wow

and a few people complaining it isn't TES enough for them

go play the new exspansion pack FFS

How I see it is, 3 nations are at war to spead their land by capturing the center area.... I played Skyrim for a bit, its got great graphics, the story is OK at best and the freedom is great, but it only works because it is a single player game. It could work as a co-op as well, but not as an mmo with longeviity. 

This is what it'll be to be as an MMO, and they're locking sides so you make alts and play for another month or two, be less braindead.. the company wants it this way, it has "replayability" 

Anyways, for all the bitching that is happening, you all will end up purchasing it and playing it for at least the first month, I'd put my money on it.

<3

Put your money on it all you want.  Last game I purchased was WoW Cataclysm.   I haven't played or bought any new MMO's for a couple of years now, I have beta'd them, but haven't bought and played them - not TSW, not Rift, not GW2, etc, etc...  I will not waste money on games that are not as good as games that are all ready out.   If TESO is not going to be as good as WoW...I will not spend a dime on it.

Yep, this will probably be the nr 1 reason for why us who played and enjoyed Skyrim wont be playing this game.

Faction locked world, mega servers etc. Just nonsense that adds nothing to the game but make it easier for the devs to design the game.

Actually it doesn't make it that easyer remember each faction has to have its own quests and its own events.  What this means is that PvE wise updated content will be on the slow side.  Unless of course they make all the events happen in Cyrodiil, which would turn this game into nothing but a race to the top.  There is also the inevitable population drop, of which they plan to have(the whole point of the mega server) so after that new content will be even slower.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by teddyboy420

Pot, meet kettle.

You are saying these devs haven't learned anything new in the past 10 years and that's why they're going w/ something like DAoC, yet all those games you mentioned are EVEN OLDER. So games should be designed like those games? What?

do you not understand how the conversation GOT TO WHERE IT WAS WHEN YOU QUOTED ME?

Funny thing about conversations when you jump into the middle of them is that you dont know whats going on.

TES = OPEN WORLD with NO locked factions and NO locked races or closed off areas for specific types of play.

THAT is the basis of what is being said ALONG with the FACT that MMORPGS today are locked into a rut that many people are getting SICK of as can be seen by so many failed games lately...all of whom follow the same god damn trend...being clones, clones of what? WoW, which is a clone of DaoC.

Derp.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by Netspook

Your mind is obviously very different from the devs'. They talk about preserving faction identity, you clearly don't care about that at all.

We know, and that is why we are pissed. They are targetting carebear DaoC players so full of dum dum they must have opposition that looks nothing like them...because OMG HOW CANZ I TELL WHO BAD GUYZ IZ?

So yes, please trash my beloved IP, make alien looking elves beautiful and dont mix races so mouthbreathers dont get all muddy headed over who they are supposed to fight.

Perserve the derp, hold hands, put up those guide rails, trash an IP and watch as shortly after it goes F2P because yet another bland MMORPG that looks like the rest is released.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

It is just dumb.  We can travel all over the world in WoW, but in TESO we're limited to the lands of our faction, leaving 2/3 of the world unplayable.   Even in old DAoC we could travel to enemy lands.    Why are they taking this game backwards in game play?  Makes absolutely no sense.   Plus this ideal of faction pride seems lame.  We had faction pride in WoW and we could go where we wanted.   What makes the developers think not being able to travel to other factions lands equate to faction pride?  Again...this makes absolutely no sense and will only hurt their game in the end.  

In my opinion this is just bad game design.  

Look..Dumb or not. , besides..Do you know how BIG one of those 3 territories will be ?

This is how they choose to design their game, because they believe in a conflict of war between 3 factions, I find it much more dumb if we have 3 conflicting nations and we all are able to group up and run around completly unmolested in each others territories, and even group up and join guilds with each other, they did that in EQ2 , let's have a guild were necromancers from Freeport can join a couple of  elf priests from Antonica, it doesnt make sence..

It's like....Let these Orc's roam around in Rivendale , We will invite them for tea and bisquits later, maybe Galadriel will join ..:) See the problem here ?

Faction pride or not..I think it's a good idea..

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Did you play all three factions in DAoC?  What about WoW, did you play alliance and horde?  I didn't.  In DAoC I played Hibernian, and never played the other two factions - ever.    In WoW I never played Alliance - ever - always Horde.   So there you go.  I prefer to make one character and play it.   If their game requires me to make multiple characters to play the whole game - I am not likely to play it.  

It is not like I am asking to much.  All I am saying is, allow us to explore the whole world of Tamriel.   I do not care if the enemy can attack me freely when I am on their lands.   They can do it in WoW - that never stopped me from exploring and adventuring.   Are you telling me the developers of this game are not capable of developing a game as good as a game from 2003?  If you are, then why even waste my time and money?   The game isn't as good as the games that came before it.

You say you played DAoC as a Hib only. The division of territory in TESO is exactly the same. You have 3 separate PVE areas with RvR in Cryodil just like DAoC had it in the frontier areas.  What exactly is it you're confused about? Or is your confusion merely feigned for the purpose of stating your preference for WOW open world (aka griefer's heaven) over DAoC-style RvR.

DAoC didn't "require" you to make 3 characters, and apparently you didn't. So why are you saying TESO does? 

You also seem to be saying that you'd prefer the territorial structure of TESO to be a WOW clone. I must say that i'm surprised that there's still one person promoting WOW cloning.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by thark

It is just dumb.  We can travel all over the world in WoW, but in TESO we're limited to the lands of our faction, leaving 2/3 of the world unplayable.   Even in old DAoC we could travel to enemy lands.    Why are they taking this game backwards in game play?  Makes absolutely no sense.   Plus this ideal of faction pride seems lame.  We had faction pride in WoW and we could go where we wanted.   What makes the developers think not being able to travel to other factions lands equate to faction pride?  Again...this makes absolutely no sense and will only hurt their game in the end.  

Look..Dumb or not. , besides..Do you know how BIG one of those 3 territories will be ?

This is how they choose to design their game, because they believe in a conflict of war between 3 factions, I find it much more dumb if we have 3 conflicting nations and we all are able to group up and run around completly unmolested in each others territories, and even group up and join guilds with each other, they did that in EQ2 , let's have a guild were necromancers from Freeport can join a couple of  elf priests from Antonica, it doesnt make sence..

It's like....Let these Orc's roam around in Rivendale , We will invite them for tea and bisquits later, maybe Galadriel will join ..:) See the problem here ?

Play it, but for me as long as they keep this game design in game - I'll not waste my time or money on it - it is a total game breaker for me.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by redcapp

I like the idea of factions.  Helps to foster the development of realm pride.

It did work in DAoC, where you were not permitted into the opposing realms' territory save on PvP or PvE only servers which no longer exist.

Whether or not it belongs in the Elder Scrolls is a valid discussion, but the concept itself is not 'outdated' in any way.  If anything, they should simply consider PvP/PvE alternative servers like they had in DAoC for people who aren't interested in the faction based gameplay.

what he said

the 3 locked factions are actually making me play this game.  i am tired ofa  lack of pride and 1 faction slaughtering the other faction.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

The bottom-line will be if it is fun to play or not.  These issues are warning signs to me, but if the finished game is fun then all is well.

Its just mmo's should be trying to make people's gaming enviorment inclusive.  You should be able to play with friends without having to make a new character.  Isn't that what it comes down to? Look at older mmos. You talked a friend into playing. He joins, but has to lvl solo or with pugs until he maxes so he can play with your maxed character and other guildmates.

Forcing people to play certain factions/races to be with their friends is a BAD idea. 

Lets just hope for the best, but at least we aren't limited on mmos to play.

• ChakaCanChakaCan Member UncommonPosts: 22

Play it, but for me as long as they keep this game design in game - I'll not waste my time or money on it - it is a total game breaker for me.

So, don't play it, OP.  Who cares.  Alot of us are very tired of WoW, and are planning to play this. 

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by steamtank

what he said

the 3 locked factions are actually making me play this game.  i am tired ofa  lack of pride and 1 faction slaughtering the other faction.

Please explain to me how being forced to create 2 alts to be able to see the 'entire continent of Tamriel' (you know, yheir marketting speil they hope will see the game but is actually false advertising as you can't unless you create another 2 characters) is going to create 'faction pride'?

Because in my mind, having a character in each faction is going to reduce any pride I might have because if i don't like the current faction at the time I can switch to an alt. Just like all the pro PvP'ers will do to show how leet they are cause they are on the winning side.

Oh and as for faction pride...with the mega server and campaigns set-up you can have mutliple conflicts going on where some are losing and some are winning so you wont really have a single stand on how the faction is doing. In all probability the overall faction results are not going to reflect how 'your' results are so I forsee a lot of boat jumping from losing campaigns to winning ones...and that means one sided conflict and realm pride will essentially be 'drop the losing campaigns and join the winning ones...not my idea of pride but there you go.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

The bottom-line will be if it is fun to play or not.  These issues are warning signs to me, but if the finished game is fun then all is well.

Its just mmo's should be trying to make people's gaming enviorment inclusive.  You should be able to play with friends without having to make a new character.  Isn't that what it comes down to? Look at older mmos. You talked a friend into playing. He joins, but has to lvl solo or with pugs until he maxes so he can play with your maxed character and other guildmates.

Forcing people to play certain factions/races to be with their friends is a BAD idea. 

Well the freedom of exploration is a big part of TES so TESO restricting it is just dumb design.

But your point about who you play with is a major issue. I know guilds that are struggling to keep together because the choice for some is to either play a faction they don't want to play or don't play with your guild and friends. Again, pretty dumb design.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by teddyboy420

Pot, meet kettle.

You are saying these devs haven't learned anything new in the past 10 years and that's why they're going w/ something like DAoC, yet all those games you mentioned are EVEN OLDER. So games should be designed like those games? What?

do you not understand how the conversation GOT TO WHERE IT WAS WHEN YOU QUOTED ME?

Funny thing about conversations when you jump into the middle of them is that you dont know whats going on.

TES = OPEN WORLD with NO locked factions and NO locked races or closed off areas for specific types of play.

THAT is the basis of what is being said ALONG with the FACT that MMORPGS today are locked into a rut that many people are getting SICK of as can be seen by so many failed games lately...all of whom follow the same god damn trend...being clones, clones of what? WoW, which is a clone of DaoC.

Derp.

i still dont understand how compareing a single player RPG to a MMO makes ence, yes they where all completly open they was also no PvP griefers to worry about, and i for one am sick of open world PvP games where i cant play through theg ame without being ganked, and this game wont have the option for non-pvp servers

so with this in mind i think the way they are doing it is a kind of comprimise for the PvPers and the PvEers

but im sure you will twist my words to make them sound stupid its all you do after all instead of actully makeing solid points

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by muffins89

yes

yes

yes

Why?

because the games lead designers are stuck in the past and cannot come up with any new ideas. They have on rose colored glasses and actually believe the game they are basing it off of was great...so great it seems they think it will apply successfully to anything even though history proves them wrong.

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land becuase the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

you'll just need to make more than one character.  think of it as 3 ES games in one.

No.  I just won't play their game.

good, just dont be posting anything more about the game. you've already made up your mind the game obviously isnt for you, now theres no need for you to post anything about the game unless your pathetic and dont have a life and like too keep talking about stuff you dont like for some weird reason. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Your mind is obviously very different from the devs'. They talk about preserving faction identity, you clearly don't care about that at all.

We know, and that is why we are pissed. They are targetting carebear DaoC players so full of dum dum they must have opposition that looks nothing like them...because OMG HOW CANZ I TELL WHO BAD GUYZ IZ?

So yes, please trash my beloved IP, make alien looking elves beautiful and dont mix races so mouthbreathers dont get all muddy headed over who they are supposed to fight.

Perserve the derp, hold hands, put up those guide rails, trash an IP and watch as shortly after it goes F2P because yet another bland MMORPG that looks like the rest is released.

Way to insult people because a company decided to make a game in a different manner than you would like. Rage on...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Kalstark

yes

yes

yes

Why?

because the games lead designers are stuck in the past and cannot come up with any new ideas. They have on rose colored glasses and actually believe the game they are basing it off of was great...so great it seems they think it will apply successfully to anything even though history proves them wrong.

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land becuase the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

you'll just need to make more than one character.  think of it as 3 ES games in one.

No.  I just won't play their game.

good, just dont be posting anything more about the game. you've already made up your mind the game obviously isnt for you, now theres no need for you to post anything about the game unless your pathetic and dont have a life and like too keep talking about stuff you dont like for some weird reason. 

Maybe I'll find more stuff I do not like about the game and post about that as well.  If they are capable of making such a bad game design decession about this - what else are they possibly going to muck up?  

BTW - this is an open forum, we can discuss games and their designs(good and bad). If that upsets you, maybe you need to find a different forum that only expouses the good things about a game.

Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Well the freedom of exploration is a big part of TES so TESO restricting it is just dumb design.

But your point about who you play with is a major issue. I know guilds that are struggling to keep together because the choice for some is to either play a faction they don't want to play or don't play with your guild and friends. Again, pretty dumb design.

Whatever TES is, is irrelevant. TES is a single player game... Therefore no PVP nor faction locks. I don't think I've ever seen a single player game with either lol. TESO is an MMO set in the same universe TES is set in. That is the only similarity. 

If you don't like this type of RvR, faction-locked, mega server MMO design, fair enough. Don't waste your time and go play something more your style, whatever that is.

But I'll tell you what really is dumb: TES fans, so in love with the series that they are determined to play an MMO whose design they don't like at all just because it's TESO and will do so bitching about it all and generally feeling miserable about being 'betrayed" all the way until they finally quit in disgust...not very intelligent that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Distopia

Way to insult people because a company decided to make a game in a different manner than you would like. Rage on...

Way to defend a company STATING they are making a game to "preserve faction identity" because they feel their players are TOO DUMB to be able to play a game where the enemy may look like you. Should I end this with suck on or kiss on?

Best part about all this is the very same people that are now defending handing holding because its DaoC are the same people complaining about the dumbing down of the genre for other games...

Originally posted by Iselin

Whatever TES is, is irrelevant. TES is a single player game...

Whatever TESO is, is irrelevenat. TES is the IP being used. RPGs + MMORPGs are tied. This isnt a Super Mario Bros/Super Mario Kart comparission being made.

TES is an open world, open faction, open choice game and there are open world,open faction and open choice MMORPGs already out there proving a TES MMO should be made LIKE TES and furth proves this is nothing more than a bastardization of an IP by a game designer that wanted to do NOTHING but make another DaoC but couldnt get ANY backing for it and so just changed to freaking names of NPCs and some graphics.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

TESO's design isn't smarter. It's like if Poland, France and Italy waged war against each other, but could only fight each other in Germany, without neither being able to spy on the enemies in their homecountries, nor attack them there.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

Way to defend a company STATING they are making a game to "preserve faction identity" because they feel their players are TOO DUMB to be able to play a game where the enemy may look like you. Should I end this with suck on or kiss on?

Best part about all this is the very same people that are now defending handing holding because its DaoC are the same people complaining about the dumbing down of the genre for other games...

Who defended it? I agree there are better ways to handle it, it's just not something that is game-breaking for me. Also who are you referring to with that last bit?  It's certainly not me I personally hate reading those words (dumbing down) so I certainly don't write them in my posts.

I'll just remember to skip your posts from now on, you obviously have nothing of value to add to a dicussion.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Iselin

Whatever TES is, is irrelevant. TES is a single player game...

Whatever TESO is, is irrelevenat. TES is the IP being used. RPGs + MMORPGs are tied. This isnt a Super Mario Bros/Super Mario Kart comparission being made.

TES is an open world, open faction, open choice game and there are open world,open faction and open choice MMORPGs already out there proving a TES MMO should be made LIKE TES and furth proves this is nothing more than a bastardization of an IP by a game designer that wanted to do NOTHING but make another DaoC but couldnt get ANY backing for it and so just changed to freaking names of NPCs and some graphics.

Rofl...chill dude before you have a stroke.

Look: there are a whole shit-pile of games based on some rule set or another of D&D. Some are single player and a couple are MMOs...and they all play very differently. Maybe because the ES IP is smaller you think you can control it and dictate just one way to play in it...that's your mistake.

those of us who have played every single one of the games since Arena but are not zealots are just fine with TESO being different. Getting all frothy at the mouth about it is just a stupid waste of energy.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Couldn't have said it better myself. The only reason they are using this IP is to cash in on it as they dont seem to at all care about it.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

It might be, or it might not be. I know you were (are?) an avid EVE player. In EVE you can go anywere, to any star system and visit any planet. However, the denizens of certain area's create a natural boundary there by ganking you once you warp into the system. I tried scooting through to a 0.0 system once and got popped in 15 minutes even in a small ship with quick jump to warp speed. What is the difference if the game mechancs are stopping you, or a crowd of orcs with axes?

EVE is also split into 3 divisions of safety, Hi-sec, Lo-sec and 0.0, which is anything goes. To speculate, what is all we can do at this point, Tamriel might be set up similarly the same way. It is going to be single shard, so the way that ZOS is going to ease the server load is by segragating players to certain areas. It may be a design decision made from necessity not just to appease certain audiences. Single shard servers for the amount of players this game will receive is going to need as much leverage or it is going to be a slide show lagwich mess - and that is no fun for anyone.

The three factions are going to be set up from different landmasses and all three are very large. Vvardenfell and Morrowind, in itself are both large. Cyrodiil being central is the largest, and that most likely will be a PvP zone. Its going to be enough content there to keep any type of player busy. 

If you choose not to play, that's totally on you. But do understand Teala, at this point you are prejudging on speculation with limited information. I already made up my mind, I'm just asking to keep yours open.