Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

JJ Abrams Directing Star Wars

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    JJ is awesome. Haters gonna hate. Star Trek frenchise was dead before this guy gave it much needed CPR. 

oh wow, adding young good looking actors, lensflares and upping the special fx budget! what a GENIUS this guy is.

Well let's see...

2002 Nemesis

Worldwide:  $67,312,826  

Tomatometer: 38%

2009 Star Trek

Worldwide:  $385,680,446  

Tomatometer: 95%

Genius or not, the last movie was way better than the crap that proceeded it. 

What´s this latest trend of consumers acting like they had ANY kind of profit if a movie or game makes better revenue?

Who the hell cares, besides the studio? Do people have any benefit or justification if they can quote numbers like that?

"Old" Star Trek was for a niche audience, and it should have remained niche. Why did this IP need to go mainstream blockbuster for a "broad audience", with lots of pew-pew, shiny FX and more attractive young actors?

You just don´t get what a bad move it is to get Abrams for both Star Trek and Star Wars, they will use the very same formula for Star Wars and at the end there won´t be much difference apart from space ship design, mark my words. Prepare for Lensflare Wars and juicy actors right out of Disney Channel, lots of CG and no soul. 

Don´t forget to add generic jerk character #XY (Jarjar Binks type), add some "I´ve got a bad feeling about this" lines to the script and Star Wars 7 is ready for primetime.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    JJ is awesome. Haters gonna hate. Star Trek frenchise was dead before this guy gave it much needed CPR. 

oh wow, adding young good looking actors, lensflares and upping the special fx budget! what a GENIUS this guy is.

Well let's see...

2002 Nemesis

2009 Star Trek

What´s this latest trend of consumers acting like they had ANY kind of profit if a movie or game makes better revenue?

Who the hell cares, besides the studio? Do people have any benefit or justification if they can quote numbers like that?

"Old" Star Trek was for a niche audience, and it should have remained niche. Why did this IP need to go mainstream blockbuster for a "broad audience", with lots of pew-pew, shiny FX and more attractive young actors?

You just don´t get what a bad move it is to get Abrams for both Star Trek and Star Wars, they will use the very same formula for Star Wars and at the end there won´t be much difference apart from space ship design, mark my words. Prepare for Lensflare Wars and juicy actors right out of Disney Channel, lots of CG and no soul. 

Don´t forget to add generic jerk character #XY (Jarjar Binks type), add some "I´ve got a bad feeling about this" lines to the script and Star Wars 7 is ready for primetime.

Those first two statements contradict itself. If studios don't make money they can not make movies. To stay in business they need money. Star Trek was 'niche' audeince because it never got the exposure it deserved. The original Star Trek  was cancelled because when it was aired no one was intersted in it. It became popular long time after tits cancelation due to low interest.

I don't know who made this rule that niche automatically tanslates to quality or good. Niche or not Star Trek fans have always been waiting for the revival of the the series something which no one thought would ever happen. After Enterprise was canned it became clear that Str Trek days are gone.

But JJ gave it a face lift and brought it up to date with the audience. As far as adding young actors, and fx is concerned how old do you think actors were in original Star Trek? and if Rodenberry had techonology back then you think he won't bust out all the FX?

New Star Trek movie was way better than all of the later three instalations of Star Wars combined.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Well let's see...

2002 Nemesis

2009 Star Trek

The revenue is more than just what profit the studio made. It's also an indication of how popular the movie was with the people. Not only did the movie make a lot of money for the studio, but most critic and user reviews were overwhelmingly positive.  This was not the case in the past. Usually Trek movies did average performance at the box office and mediocre reviews. The exceptions were TWOK and TVH and those movies came out thirty years ago. 

It was far more than pew pew and shiny FX. Nemesis had lots of that and it fell flat on its face. The cast for this last movie was exceptional and so was the story. They removed the clausterphobic and blandness that had permeated this franchise. 

You just don´t get what a bad move it is to get Abrams for both Star Trek and Star Wars, they will use the very same formula for Star Wars and at the end there won´t be much difference apart from space ship design, mark my words.

All I can say is before the last movie Star Trek was not even a niche. It was DEAD. Nemesis was a failure and the Enterprise series was canceled prematurely. If you like that era of the franchise it will always be there for you on home video. 

Far as what formula Abrams uses, it can't be much worse than what Lucas used on the prequals. That forumla was old and stale. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I have never been a Star Trek fan. But, after watching the newer version, I am now a huge fan. I am excited that Abrams wants to put his creative genius in the Star Wars universe.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
         I wish someone would make a "hard" sci fi Starwars...but it would be dull and slow paced.  Not that Space Opera is bad...Just after reading the Honor Harrington books..I want to see some "real" physics in my space movies

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by apocoluster
         I wish someone would make a "hard" sci fi Starwars...but it would be dull and slow paced.  Not that Space Opera is bad...Just after reading the Honor Harrington books..I want to see some "real" physics in my space movies

You might like the movie Sunshine.  Good stuff.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    I have never been a Star Trek fan. But, after watching the newer version, I am now a huge fan. I am excited that Abrams wants to put his creative genius in the Star Wars universe.

No you are not, you just liked a film. If you didn't like the 50odd years of Star Trek TV and films you can hardly describe yourself as a huge Star Trek fan.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by RefMinor

No you are not, you just liked a film. If you didn't like the 50odd years of Star Trek TV and films you can hardly describe yourself as a huge Star Trek fan.

I liked the part in the new Star Trek movie when they blew up the time travelling Death Star at the end. My guess is the Romulans will probably show up again in the next Star Wars movie again.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

I liked the part in the new Star Trek movie when they blew up the time travelling Death Star at the end. My guess is the Romulans will probably show up again in the next Star Wars movie again.

My favourite part was when Gandalf Kenobi killed Darth Voldemort. 

Originally posted by MightyChasm

That part was good too. I bet no one saw the fact that Gandalf Kenobi was actually one of the Cylon clones coming.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Well actually 40 odd years.  The first regular episode of Star Trek aired on Thursday, September 8, 1966.  The concept may have been around as early as 1964.  Pitch, pilots and such.

So not quite 50 years old whichever way you count it.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Well actually 40 odd years.  The first regular episode of Star Trek aired on Thursday, September 8, 1966.  The concept may have been around as early as 1964.  Pitch, pilots and such.

James Tiberius Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard I can live with, but what was all that shit they put out in the late 90's/ early noughties?  

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

That part was good too. I bet no one saw the fact that Gandalf Kenobi was actually one of the Cylon clones coming.

Was that before or after he proved he was emperor by pulling the lightsaber from the stone?

Sorry, 47 to 49 years it is, I guessed, I bow down before your pedantry.

Originally posted by Zorgo

Was that before or after he proved he was emperor by pulling the lightsaber from the stone?

I liked the bit where Kirk shouts "don't tell me the odds" and Chewie roars back "she cannae take it"

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109

James Tiberius Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard I can live with, but what was all that shit they put out in the late 90's/ early noughties?  

hah, i actually prefer star trek: deep space 9 and voyager over the original series/next generation.

i know it's blasphemy and in the much minority but i can't help it, i love ds9/voyager.

your heart wants what it wants.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    could you imagine a star wars/star trek crossover movie? the nerd fights opening night would be epic!:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Zorgo

I liked the bit where Kirk shouts "don't tell me the odds" and Chewie roars back "she cannae take it"

Ah. Good Ol Gandalf Kenobi.

He words of wisdom shall forever ring true "May the Force Live Long and Prosper and in the Darkness Bind Them!"

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77

2 posible scenarios based on JJ abrams past works.

at the end of the last moive it will have all been a dream.

or

everyone dies. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by dorksmetal

or

everyone dies. 

or like his star trek movie it pushes the series into a whole new generation:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Sagethorn

Disney Star Wars directed by JJ Abrams would be a nightmare.

All the actors from High School musical in space, plus flares. Blergh.

You know you'll go see it  :P

Thanks a lot.  That.....right there.....has now turned me to the dark side.  I can feel the anger and hatred seething through me.  My eyes now glow in the dark.  I'm never going to be able to explain this to the wife.  She won't want to rule the galaxy with me.  She likes tulips.    image

or

everyone dies. 

No no. At the Beginning everyone dies, but then the Hero, Han Skywalker, Hyperspace travels back in time to before the events took place,  and teams up with himself to try to stop it all from happening

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    JJ Abrams - making every movie cliche since the 1990s.
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

or

everyone dies. 

No no. At the Beginning everyone dies, but then the Hero, Han Skywalker, Hyperspace travels back in time to before the events took place,  and teams up with himself to try to stop it all from happening

Yeah, but young and old Han have to team up to battle the super killing cyborg droid the Empire sent back in time.

Originally posted by PyrateLV

or

everyone dies. 

Yeah, but young and old Han have to team up to battle the super killing cyborg droid the Empire sent back in time.

Ah yes. The dreaded T-3PO. Living tissue over a metal endoskeleton.