Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand this...

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by zethcarn
    It would have been more ideal to allow you to explore the whole world but the moment you step into enemy territory you're instantly flagged for PvP.

I agree.

However for those who aren't interested in pvp the game would either have to make it so the inhabitants of an area weren't attackable by "the foreigners" or separate "server instances"" (as there is a megaserver thing going on) in such a way that one "instance" of this megaserver would allow pvp and the other would allow pvp only if the foreigners were attacked.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by jtcgs

yes

yes

yes

Why?

because the games lead designers are stuck in the past and cannot come up with any new ideas. They have on rose colored glasses and actually believe the game they are basing it off of was great...so great it seems they think it will apply successfully to anything even though history proves them wrong.

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land becuase the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

you'll just need to make more than one character.  think of it as 3 ES games in one.

No.  I just won't play their game.

You will still buy this game...

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

It is just dumb.  We can travel all over the world in WoW, but in TESO we're limited to the lands of our faction, leaving 2/3 of the world unplayable.   Even in old DAoC we could travel to enemy lands.    Why are they taking this game backwards in game play?  Makes absolutely no sense.   Plus this ideal of faction pride seems lame.  We had faction pride in WoW and we could go where we wanted.   What makes the developers think not being able to travel to other factions lands equate to faction pride?  Again...this makes absolutely no sense and will only hurt their game in the end.  

In my opinion this is just bad game design.  

Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

yes

yes

yes

Why?

because the games lead designers are stuck in the past and cannot come up with any new ideas. They have on rose colored glasses and actually believe the game they are basing it off of was great...so great it seems they think it will apply successfully to anything even though history proves them wrong.

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land becuase the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

you'll just need to make more than one character.  think of it as 3 ES games in one.

Not if they do not open the lands for exploration and allow us to go where we like.  

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

yes

yes

yes

Why?

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land because the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

oh the drama!  you know you can create more than one char right?   Not that I'm against one char being able to go everywhere.  Just saying, I don't see how it's that big of a deal.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

yes

yes

yes

Why?

Not if they do not open the lands for exploration and allow us to go where we like.  

This how they want it, Deal with it.

Or buy the IP from them and re-do it your way.  Seen so many ppl here judging the book by its cover.

But hey if you are that easely scared away, glad i wont see any of you in the game.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by adam_nox

oh the drama!  you know you can create more than one char right?   Not that I'm against one char being able to go everywhere.  Just saying, I don't see how it's that big of a deal.

It isn't that you CAN create more then one character, it is that you are FORCED to. If you want to explore the entire continent you hve to make 2 extra characters. It isn't a choice but a neccessity. It goes against the very essence of what a TES game stands for and even though TESO is an MMO it is a totally uneccessary design choice.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

They want you to think that you are getting a bigger game, with more to do....when the reality is that they create 1/3rd of a game, and then just copy and paste it twice for the other two realms.  If you actually played DAOC, and I am guessing most people did not, you would remember that each area had basically the same mobs but different sized.  So one area had little orcs and in another area then were the same model but just bigger.

The actualy content is going to be the same for all three realms.  So they will make a dungeons, then just copy and paste it into the other two realms.  Why make one full game when you can make 1/3rd of a game and copy it twice.  They are doing 66% less work....see, that is how it works.

Makes you marvel at the original Everquest and it's PVP server Tallon Zek.  That was a four faction, team based server where you could go anywhere.  They actually had a full game, then just hard coded races for team based PvP and item loot.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by ikarrian

Or buy the IP from them and re-do it your way.  Seen so many ppl here judging the book by its cover.

But hey if you are that easely scared away, glad i wont see any of you in the game.

Of course people are judging the book by the cover. If you buy a novel about james Bond you don't expect to read about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If the cover has TES written all over it you want the content to be TES.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

It is just dumb.  We can travel all over the world in WoW, but in TESO we're limited to the lands of our faction, leaving 2/3 of the world unplayable.   Even in old DAoC we could travel to enemy lands.    Why are they taking this game backwards in game play?  Makes absolutely no sense.   Plus this ideal of faction pride seems lame.  We had faction pride in WoW and we could go where we wanted.   What makes the developers think not being able to travel to other factions lands equate to faction pride?  Again...this makes absolutely no sense and will only hurt their game in the end.  

wow there wow this .. please..

its make perfect sense to me,

by making this kind of design its make people stay in the game much longer.

you will create a character in 1 faction lvl it to 50 if u want to go on the other faction and explore you will need to make another character in the other faction and lvl it to 50. its brillant.

in dev mind.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

say what you want i prefer this simply because i dont got to worry about trolls from other faction comeing around and fucking with me

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by ikarrian

Of course people are judging the book by the cover. If you buy a novel about james Bond you don't expect to read about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If the cover has TES written all over it you want the content to be TES.

Not sure how to properly respond to this without accidently insulting you....

But i'll just keep you blocked.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

yes

yes

yes

Why?

Then don't, I mean there not gonna be able to please everybody some people are gonna like it some are not....

The new RVR Camelot Unchained is on the horizon maybe that is what your looking for then.......

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

All I see is one guy whining about DAOC

..another whining about being able to travel in Wow

and a few people complaining it isn't TES enough for them

go play the new exspansion pack FFS

How I see it is, 3 nations are at war to spead their land by capturing the center area.... I played Skyrim for a bit, its got great graphics, the story is OK at best and the freedom is great, but it only works because it is a single player game. It could work as a co-op as well, but not as an mmo with longeviity. 

This is what it'll be to be as an MMO, and they're locking sides so you make alts and play for another month or two, be less braindead.. the company wants it this way, it has "replayability" 

Anyways, for all the bitching that is happening, you all will end up purchasing it and playing it for at least the first month, I'd put my money on it.

<3

thanks you lol

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Simple, a DaoC 2 wouldnt sell, so they are tagging another name onto it.

DAoC is STILL, to this day, considered some of the best, if not THE best PvP experience in any MMO, and you are trying to say it wouldn't sell? lol.

I'm not arguing about whether this was the right thing to do for this game, b/c personally, I'm not convinced it is. Too much shoe-horning trying to be done to get TES into a certain vision of the designers imo. But that being said, I think the game could still be good. I certainly don't think the 3 faction system, or not being able to go into the home areas of the other races is going to be the reason TES fails, if fail it does.

Not every game has to be a friggin sandbox, in fact, thank the gods they're not, b/c I can't think of a single sandbox MMO (besides EVE, and I think EVE is only so successful b/c of it's "corporate" world setting in space) that has done anything beyond just existing. Look @ Darkfall, when that was in development all the sandbox lovers were hyping it up to be the end-all be-all of PvP MMO's, and it turned out to be total shit. I'd much rather see DAoC 2 then something like Darkfall 2. I also love the argument that anything that isn't sandbox is "antiquated" game-design from "2003" that should be left behind. Games are meant to be fun, and a lot of times, doing whatever the hell you want to do, isn't fun, especially with people being people, i.e. (especially w/ the anonymity of the net) douchebags. I admit some freedom is fun, but there needs to be boundries, and limits, and imo, those boundries and limits are all the more important in a PvP focused MMO. There needs to be goals, and rewards, worth fighting for.

I think the most enjoyable MMO will be a generous helping of sandbox and themepark. I think open class systems will never work in an MMO b/c there will always be a "best" build that always falls into the trinity, and that's what people will build their characters into. So there should be set classes. Also, I think freedom to explore is huge, but I don't think everyone needs to go everywhere either. Or, maybe let people go anywhere they want, but if they go certain places, where they obviously shouldn't be going (other races home-turf for instance) it means almost certain death, like 99.5% certain. Then, there should be set objectives that people can congregate for, both PvE and PvP, and if it can be done something like RvR. People need things to do, and if there's not enough to do, there's no reason to log in, so a generous mix of traditional raiding, mixed in w/ flare-up PvP battles in certain areas, and maybe something like keeps that races of certain allignments can conquer and hold for their faction....the trick is doing all these things, and doing them well.

And with all that said,  to be honest, I don't know that a MMO that stays true to TES's roots would even be possible, let alone any good. TES games have all been extremely single-player focused, yeah they tried very hard to convey a sense of a living-breathing world, but that sense would crumble in seconds if there actually were other people running around with you. People always say things along the lines of how awesome Skyrim or Oblivion would be if other people could adventure with you.....no, it wouldn't be awesome at all, it'd be pretty damn lame b/c those worlds weren't built for multiple heroes.

As has been said, not every game is for everyone. But I really think it's kinda silly to definitvely dennounce a game simply b/c some games have some areas off-limits to your alignment. Go play Minecraft....or Darkfall (lol), if that what you want.

Originally posted by sk8chalif

you will create a character in 1 faction lvl it to 50 if u want to go on the other faction and explore you will need to make another character in the other faction and lvl it to 50. its brillant.

Did you play all three factions in DAoC?  What about WoW, did you play alliance and horde?  I didn't.  In DAoC I played Hibernian, and never played the other two factions - ever.    In WoW I never played Alliance - ever - always Horde.   So there you go.  I prefer to make one character and play it.   If their game requires me to make multiple characters to play the whole game - I am not likely to play it.  

It is not like I am asking to much.  All I am saying is, allow us to explore the whole world of Tamriel.   I do not care if the enemy can attack me freely when I am on their lands.   They can do it in WoW - that never stopped me from exploring and adventuring.   Are you telling me the developers of this game are not capable of developing a game as good as a game from 2003?  If you are, then why even waste my time and money?   The game isn't as good as the games that came before it.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

in dev mind.

which is funny because it doesnt.

History shows that open world games last as long if not longer than factioned.

The Realm, Meridian 59,Lineage 1,  UO, Asherons Call, EQ1....they are all STILL GOING today. UO and EQ 1 has more people playing it than DaoC, a game made YEARS later...and Lineage has more than all I listed combined.

Lets face it, the devs are going with DaoC because they havent learned anything new in the last 10 years. They think inside the box which will make this just another MMO.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

How I see it is, 3 nations are at war to spead their land by capturing the center area.... I played Skyrim for a bit, its got great graphics, the story is OK at best and the freedom is great, but it only works because it is a single player game. It could work as a co-op as well, but not as an mmo with longeviity. 

This is what it'll be to be as an MMO, and they're locking sides so you make alts and play for another month or two, be less braindead.. the company wants it this way, it has "replayability" 

Anyways, for all the bitching that is happening, you all will end up purchasing it and playing it for at least the first month, I'd put my money on it.

<3

Put your money on it all you want.  Last game I purchased was WoW Cataclysm.   I haven't played or bought any new MMO's for a couple of years now, I have beta'd them, but haven't bought and played them - not TSW, not Rift, not GW2, etc, etc...  I will not waste money on games that are not as good as games that are all ready out.   If TESO is not going to be as good as WoW...I will not spend a dime on it.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

in dev mind.

which is funny because it doesnt.

History shows that open world games last as long if not longer than factioned.

The Realm, Meridian 59,Lineage 1,  UO, Asherons Call, EQ1....they are all STILL GOING today. UO and EQ 1 has more people playing it than DaoC, a game made YEARS later...and Lineage has more than all I listed combined.

Lets face it, the devs are going with DaoC because they havent learned anything new in the last 10 years. They think inside the box which will make this just another MMO.

Pot, meet kettle.

You are saying these devs haven't learned anything new in the past 10 years and that's why they're going w/ something like DAoC, yet all those games you mentioned are EVEN OLDER. So games should be designed like those games? What? No one has leanred anyhting in the past 11-15 years? Games made like those are just devs thinking inside the box, and that's what makes them just another MMO.

See how that works?

I do think you're right on one point though. Someone needs to break all these molds. Imo that should be a combination of all design philosophies, a good portion of sandbox, theme-park, AND RvR all blended together w/ a heaping of love and passion. That's what I'm waiting for. Will TES be it? Most likely not. But I'm still willing to give it a try. The last thing that will keep me away is not being able to adventure in a few places b/c of my alignement.

Actually you couldnt go to the other realms in Doac .. you only had access to thier frontier zone (which was just another pvp area) unless of course you're talking about the PvP servers.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

what is especiall stupid about that system is that you will only see 1/3 of the content, meaning the devs have to develop 3 times as much content and that within a themepark game, a genere that is known for its constant lack of content...

People seem to forget that Cyrodil counts as content as well, so you're looking at 4 play areas - not 3. Two of those areas you will be able to explore if you only ever create one character, meaning you would see half the content. If you're going to bitch about a game at least figure out basic math.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

in dev mind.

Your mind is obviously very different from the devs'. They talk about preserving faction identity, you clearly don't care about that at all.

This design MAY make SOME ppl stay much longer, but it's also causing others to completely avoid the game. It's not just a bad design, imo, it's completely retarded. For me, this is just another nail in a coffin that was already completely nailed shut.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

<3

Put your money on it all you want.  Last game I purchased was WoW Cataclysm.   I haven't played or bought any new MMO's for a couple of years now, I have beta'd them, but haven't bought and played them - not TSW, not Rift, not GW2, etc, etc...  I will not waste money on games that are not as good as games that are all ready out.   If TESO is not going to be as good as WoW...I will not spend a dime on it.

Yep, this will probably be the nr 1 reason for why us who played and enjoyed Skyrim wont be playing this game.

Faction locked world, mega servers etc. Just nonsense that adds nothing to the game but make it easier for the devs to design the game.

Originally posted by Yamota

<3

Yep, this will probably be the nr 1 reason for why us who played and enjoyed Skyrim wont be playing this game.

Faction locked world, mega servers etc. Just nonsense that adds nothing to the game but make it easier for the devs to design the game.

Zod played and enjoyed skyrim (enjoyed Morrowind more) and will enjoy this game too.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    ill be honest im not found of the split factions thing but i understand it, ill still pay and enjoy it though, its how the game play is that will depend on it and i wont take other people say on it till i play it myself

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.